The Official Manchester City Thread

Jonathan Fairfield

Alfie,

As you've stooped to quoting dictionary definitions to me here's  a definition in the Cambridge Dictionary similar to how i was using 'regular' (i.e. "often")

"happening or doing something often"

Foden is a 1st team regular who often plays...

a regular customer / churchgoer / reader / user
Professional athletes make regular appearances on TV.

Another definition given is:

"Someone who is regular empties their bowels often enough" 

Reminded me of the crap your spouting 'regularly' on here mate. Boom tish! I'll  be here all week.

24 minutes ago, Bredbury Blue said:

Alfie,

As you've stooped to quoting dictionary definitions to me here's  a definition in the Cambridge Dictionary similar to how i was using 'regular' (i.e. "often")

"happening or doing something often"

Foden is a 1st team regular who often plays...

a regular customer / churchgoer / reader / user
Professional athletes make regular appearances on TV.

Another definition given is:

"Someone who is regular empties their bowels often enough" 

Reminded me of the crap your spouting 'regularly' on here mate. Boom tish! I'll  be here all week.

So now you've moved from using regulars to often now, <deleted> has "often" got to do with it ? you said This and last season Foden and Diaz have become 1st team regulars or did you say  This and last season Foden and Diaz have become 1st team oftens ????

Playing 93 mins out of 1,890 and 94 mins out of 540 is often playing or is it regularly playing ? i'll tell you what lets just say you are right Foden and Diaz are regular oftens, think i'll put you back on ignore as every time i respond to you i get a headache  ???? ????

I still want to know when i mentioned Otamendi by the way if you'd be so kind.

17 hours ago, ChipButty said:

Only 32k turned up

Are the plans still going ahead to increase the capacity? Would be better off reducing it to made the stadium look full. Bolton have a bigger loyal fan base. Such a shame for top players to play in front of row upon row of empty seats and closed stands.

Recognise this place and who was playing who?

burton.jpg

11 hours ago, alfieconn said:

Where have i said that, your hallucinating now, best you go to the Docs as soon as possible  ????

Not big enough of a man to apologize then Alfie when you wrongly accuse somebody of something! Not a very good attribute that.

If your comment "no i wouldn't assume Danilo and Otamendi are first team regulars" doesn't mean the same as "You even doubt that Otamendi is a 1st team regular" then you're a bigger fool than we all think you are.

I've got you on the cross and you're banging the nails in yourself! :cheesy:

11 hours ago, alfieconn said:

So now you've moved from using regulars to often now, <deleted> has "often" got to do with it ? you said This and last season Foden and Diaz have become 1st team regulars or did you say  This and last season Foden and Diaz have become 1st team oftens ????

Playing 93 mins out of 1,890 and 94 mins out of 540 is often playing or is it regularly playing ? i'll tell you what lets just say you are right Foden and Diaz are regular oftens, think i'll put you back on ignore as every time i respond to you i get a headache  ???? ????

I still want to know when i mentioned Otamendi by the way if you'd be so kind.

Keep digging your hole won't you.

The above comment is proof, if ever i needed it, that you just jump in both feet with your comments without reading the earlier posts on the thread. Go back one page and there's the proof of (i) your memory lost and (ii) proof that you DID mention Otamendi (no i wouldn't assume Danilo and Otamendi are first team regulars).

Is everything alright dear, you seemed to making a lot of boobs on here recently - i better 3minus2 is pissing himself at your ineptitude.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, ChipButty said:

Only 32k turned up

Are the plans still going ahead to increase the capacity? Would be better off reducing it to made the stadium look full. Bolton have a bigger loyal fan base. Such a shame for top players to play in front of row upon row of empty seats and closed stands.

32k for the 3rd of 4 home games in 11 days, a night match, against a Third Tier club which isn't that attractive - not too bad in my opinion.

Even though we get very decent crowds - but not as big as ManU (which is still pretty impressive as we are based in the same city) - it seems many of you like to mock the City crowds, and there's nothing wrong with that if it floats your boat, but it seems we are not the only club who does not fill our ground for every game...ManU, Liverpool and Spurs to name a few ALSO do not fill your ground for every game do you.

Thought i'd post below in full this topical article from the Manchester Evening News:

Why Manchester United and Liverpool fans should think twice before mocking Man City attendances

Manchester City supporters have come under fire for not filling the ground in a cup semi-final against Burton Albion

At times, it seems Manchester United and Liverpool fans spend half of their Twitter time proclaiming how much they don’t care about Manchester City … and the other half talking about them.

Predictably enough, the emphasis was on the large number of empty seats at the Etihad Stadium, with the ground less than two-thirds full as a crowd of 32,000 rocked up for the Carabao Cup semi-final first leg against Burton Albion.

Twitter worthies Gary Lineker and Jamie Carragher have both poked fun at the Blues for their attendances this week – all good, clean fun, but still wide of the mark.

Lineker said that City were threatening to “score more goals than than there are spectators tonight” as City thrashed Burton 9-0, perhaps as much a compliment to the Blues’ ravenous goal appetite as it was a joke about the crowd figure.

But he was strangely quiet 24 hours earlier when one of his old clubs, Tottenham, were playing in their first League Cup semi-final for four years.

They were pitched against Chelsea, one of their fiercest London rivals, yet there were 44,000 fans rattling around in a half-full Wembley Stadium.

Spurs’ previous home game, a league clash with Wolves, attracted 46,000 to Wembley, less than Sunderland got for a League One fixture, and about 8,000 shy of City’s sell-out league fixtures this season.

No giggles from Gary about that.

This is not a pop at Spurs fans – anyone with less money than sense would pick and choose their games, at £70-80 a go.

Carragher was replying to a City fan criticising Jurgen Klopp’s decision to play a weakened team in the FA Cup, and his Twitter comeback was “You can’t fill your stadium!”

It was a bit of banter, fair enough in an age when even the most light-hearted of Twitter jokes can bring an avalanche of po-faced umbrage.

But again, banter only works if it has no hypocrisy attached.

And the undisputed fact that his beloved Liverpool also could not fill their stadium last season, as revealed by their chief executive in April – even though they sold all their tickets in a ground with a slightly smaller capacity than City.

Maybe it’s something about the attraction of Chelsea, but they also played away to Liverpool in the League Cup this season – and there were 45,000 there, 8,000 below Anfield capacity.

Nobody, not even Carra, raised a squawk about that.

The fact that a wealthy former footballer, who was recently keen to call out supporters who take the mick about the poverty in the cities of opposing fans, then has a jibe at fans who don’t pay today’s prices, is hypocrisy.

The fact is that the Burton game was the third of four City home games in the space of 11 days, made it especially hard on the wallet of your average fan.

Despite all the blather, City clearly have a big fan base in Manchester – when the Blues dropped ticket prices drastically for the FA Cup third round tie against Rotherham, which was not televised, they drew a crowd of 52,000. 

As a reminder, that’s a good 7,000 more than Liverpool got for a cup game against Chelsea four months ago.

No criticism of the Liverpool fans here, either. Paying full price for a League Cup match should make anyone think twice.

United also struggles to fill their ground on occasion - especially in the League Cup.

Against the same opponents, Burton, last season, there were 22,000 empty seats at Old Trafford.

It was the same for the Reds against Derby this season,  and Ipswich in 2015-16 - and there were 11,000 empty seats when they played the first leg of the semi-final against Hull in 2016-17.

There's no shame in this, honest! Just fans sensibly making a choice about how they spend hard-earned money.

Liverpool and United have global fan bases, City are growing theirs but it is still nowhere near as big.

The boast when the Reds of Merseyside and Manchester fill their grounds boils down to the fact that they attract more tourists and day-trippers than do City.

If that makes you proud, fair enough. But don’t use it as evidence that your support is somehow more loyal than a City fanbase whose history stand the test as well as that of anyone.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/man-city-attendances-liverpool-united-15658955 

2 hours ago, Bredbury Blue said:

Somewhere outside of Manchester!

Seeing as The United fans can't recognize it. It was their fixture against Burton last year in the FA Cup. So they come on here giving grief about us not filling the stadium against Burton on what they call the mickey mouse cup but they had just as many empty seats last year, against the same team but in the FA Cup. Talk about glass houses

2 minutes ago, mrbojangles said:

Seeing as The United fans can't recognize it. It was their fixture against Burton last year in the FA Cup. So they come on here giving grief about us not filling the stadium against Burton on what they call the mickey mouse cup but they had just as many empty seats last year, against the same team but in the FA Cup. Talk about glass houses

Sorry to break it to you, but that is the away end. Away teams get a larger allocation in the FA Cup. As you can see, Burton didn't come close to filling theirs, but for a club that's come from non league there is no shame in that. 

1 hour ago, RickG16 said:

Sorry to break it to you, but that is the away end. Away teams get a larger allocation in the FA Cup. As you can see, Burton didn't come close to filling theirs, but for a club that's come from non league there is no shame in that. 

The photo may be of the away end but "Against the same opponents, Burton, last season, there were 22,000 empty seats at Old Trafford". You trying to argue that the 22,000 empty seats were in the away end...i don't think so.

2 hours ago, RickG16 said:

They only have to give upto a maximum of 15% and that isn't compulsory. So even if they did give 15% which is about 11,000 that still doesn't account for all the empty seats. As Burton only have a capcity of about 7,000, I doubt very much that United had to give them 11,000 tickets.

As I say, glass houses

1 hour ago, Bredbury Blue said:

The photo may be of the away end but "Against the same opponents, Burton, last season, there were 22,000 empty seats at Old Trafford". You trying to argue that the 22,000 empty seats were in the away end...i don't think so.

No, but don't pretend that the photo is of an empty home section. That is where the away fans sit for FA Cup ties.

On 1/11/2019 at 7:42 AM, Bredbury Blue said:

Not big enough of a man to apologize then Alfie when you wrongly accuse somebody of something! Not a very good attribute that.

If your comment "no i wouldn't assume Danilo and Otamendi are first team regulars" doesn't mean the same as "You even doubt that Otamendi is a 1st team regular" then you're a bigger fool than we all think you are.

I've got you on the cross and you're banging the nails in yourself! :cheesy:

I'll hold me hands up to that one, my mistake.

Edited by alfieconn
  • Haha 1

Hopefully  on Monday night vs Wolves, Fernandinho, David Silva and KdB will start a league game together for the first time this season.

"Statistics show that in the 23 league games in which those three started together - last season - the Blues won 21 and drew two – and those draws were down to a ridiculous first half red card for Kyle Walker against Everton and the Huddersfield 0-0 when the title was already in the bag. By contrast, when one or more of those three didn’t start, City won 11, drew two and suffered their only two defeats, by Liverpool and Manchester United."

6 minutes ago, Bredbury Blue said:

Hopefully  on Monday night vs Wolves, Fernandinho, David Silva and KdB will start a league game together for the first time this season.

"Statistics show that in the 23 league games in which those three started together - last season - the Blues won 21 and drew two – and those draws were down to a ridiculous first half red card for Kyle Walker against Everton and the Huddersfield 0-0 when the title was already in the bag. By contrast, when one or more of those three didn’t start, City won 11, drew two and suffered their only two defeats, by Liverpool and Manchester United."

Do you think Bernado is droppable atm? ... Maybe they will drop the other Silva? 

"David Silva will set City's new club record for Premier League appearances next times he plays. He is currently tied on 266 with Joe Hart and one more would give him the modern record – but he is still not halfway to Alan Oakes’ all-time club record of 564 league games!"

19 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

Do you think Bernado is droppable atm? ... Maybe they will drop the other Silva? 

Who can second guess Pep, but for me Fernandinho is a cert, David Silva is our creator so if Bernardo were to start - and his form has been excellent - then for me it'd be ahead the of returning KdB. 

The media were getting  a bit carried away after the liverpool  game with their 'City are back in the title race' comments the win stopped us conceding the title in early January but we're still very much playing catchup and the pressure is definitely on us. Doubt we'll see anyone beating  liverpool in the remaining games (Spurs Chelsea Arsenal and ManU dont look good enough to beat them) so it's hard to see them throwing away the Premier this time.