The Official Manchester City Thread

Jonathan Fairfield

1 minute ago, wilai said:

Was a terrible idea to give Aguero the job of marking Martial. Was left for dead!

would have been hard for anyone to defend that set play. Was executed brilliantly. Aguero might even be faster over a short distance than their defenders. 

12 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

would have been hard for anyone to defend that set play. Was executed brilliantly. Aguero might even be faster over a short distance than their defenders. 

Doesn't have a defender's mindset though and reacted slowly to Martial's movement. I've seen City defend free kicks like that before. Sometimes Sterling has the job. I think they are looking to counter quickly but on this occasion it backfired IMO. Kudos to Fernandes/Martial and maybe even OGS for sussing the weakness though.

• Like 1

On 3/9/2020 at 2:58 AM, RickG16 said:

That's all you can really do against well drilled tiki taka.

We should all know possession stats are a fallacy. We created far more chances than you. You can pass it about among yourselves for a bit without creating any chances.... well done! 

AWB had Sterling in his pocket.... again!

Apologies Mr Bojangles but if you took an exit poll from United fans leaving Old Trafford after the game and ask them would they rather have 72% possession or win 2-0 with 28% possession what do you think the answer would be ? seriously

72% possession with 50% of that was spent going sideways as they could not find a way through and I can only remember De Gea having 2 meaningful saves to a make all game.

Its been years since the stadium was rocking like it was

The rookie manager whose job still, seems in some peoples mind, a day to day proposition, outfoxed ,on the day,one of the best football managers in the world. Not for the first time this season either

AWB was suberb and is IMO one of the most effective tacklers in the game.The much maligned Fred snapped away at the heels of city players like cattleman's dog,no ball player enjoys that and Martial is now tracking back, running with real intent and playing with a smile not a scowl.

All done without Rashford who must  have been kicking himself he wasn't part of it

Of course United could still finish with nothing but why not give credit where its due. United are slowly coming back and with 2 more astute summer additions will be a force next year,not playing catch up.

I said many months ago rebuilding requires patience and its doesn't hurt for the disbelievers and knockers to be a little bit magnanimous.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sparkles said:

The rookie manager

Ole is hardly a rookie manager, is he, in fact he's only got one year less management experience under his belt than Pep!

Teams managed

2008–2011 Manchester United Reserves

2011–2014 Molde

2014 Cardiff City

2015–2018 Molde

2018– Manchester United

As announced on 20 May 2008, he took over the Manchester United Reserves during the summer of 2008

Teams managed

2007–2008 Barcelona B

Guardiola was appointed coach of Barcelona B on 21 June 2007.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, deej said:

Perhaps another false dawn ???? been  many. this season for M/U 

Secure a C/L place then .Ogee and M/U have had a very sucessfull season to build on  and no one could argue against that

You would have to say that ManU did look better as a team than they have for quite a while.

The 5 at the back and play the long balls in to the channels for Rashford, Taffy, Martian and t'others is effective when the other team has most of the possession, but not so effective when ManU have most of the possession.

Edited by Bredbury Blue

1 hour ago, Sparkles said:

Of course United could still finish with nothing but why not give credit where its due. United are slowly coming back and with 2 more astute summer additions will be a force next year,not playing catch up.

I said many months ago rebuilding requires patience and its doesn't hurt for the disbelievers and knockers to be a little bit magnanimous.

Progress, after 29 games:
Last season - 5th - 58 points
This season - 5th - 45 points, or 13 points (23%) LESS

Still seems a bit premature to be talking about being a force next year.

Full list of FA Cup quarter final games
Leicester City v Chelsea- Saturday 21 March (12:30) on BT Sport 1 and BT Sport Ultimate

Newcastle United v Manchester City - Saturday 21 March (19:00) on BBC One and BBC iPlayer

Sheffield United v Arsenal- Sunday 22 March (13:30) on BT Sport 1 and BT Sport Ultimate
Norwich City v Manchester United - Sunday 22 March (16:30) on BBC One and BBC iPlayer

Football NOT considering the fans, AGAIN!

Screenshot_20200310-110314_Chrome.jpg

I came across this tweet other day:

"A reminder of the profitable, successful clubs in football history by 1949, roughly 60 years into professional League football. We’re now 70 years on from then. Wonder which clubs will still be powers in another 60/70 years?"
Dr Gary James, MCFC historian

- The 'Order of Merit' seems a strangeway to assess clubs.
- The FA Cup was a massive thing back in 1949 and earlier, so the 'FA Cup wins' and 'FA Cup Appearances' makes interesting reading; ManU barely feature and Liverpool just make the table.
- The "Profit" table is interesting and would show who was quite strong at that time.

As I've posted several times before [think i was discussing this with Owl just the other day], no club has a divine right to think it should always be one of the top or successful clubs (yes you ManU and Liverpool fans). Clubs that were once big in the 30s, 40s, 50s, etc., aren't for the most part a big or successful club now. And as Dr Gary says, which clubs will be the powers in another 60/70 years?

All of this just goes to show that City - small club, no fans, no history! ????

ESqGszRXkAYH2Tj.jpeg

ESqGszrXsAAnDob.jpeg

ESqGs2FWsAUBbCE.jpeg

7 hours ago, Sparkles said:

The much maligned Fred snapped away at the heels of city players like cattleman's dog,no ball player enjoys that and Martial is now tracking back, running with real intent and playing with a smile not a scowl

Increasingly less maligned Fred..... my problem is the people who think Pogba can slot straight back into the midfield and play with Bruno. The obvious victim is going to be Fred, unless he is moved further back and then you are missing out on a lot of his talents. For the reasons you highlighted, I think Fred offers a lot more than Pogba all round in the 'no 8 role'. IMO the sensible thing to do would be to cash in in the summer. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Sparkles said:

Apologies Mr Bojangles but if you took an exit poll from United fans leaving Old Trafford after the game and ask them would they rather have 72% possession or win 2-0 with 28% possession what do you think the answer would be ? seriously

72% possession with 50% of that was spent going sideways as they could not find a way through and I can only remember De Gea having 2 meaningful saves to a make all game.

Its been years since the stadium was rocking like it was

Of course the result on the day gives a smile to your fans Sparkles and yes, they'd take that result. I just think the glee will be short lived if you played like that every week. You also wouldn't get the luck every week of catching us off guard with the free kick (and Ederson blundering it) and you certainly wouldn't be getting the same blunder for your 2nd goal. I think if we both played the same way against each other again, the result wouldn't be the same. Your fans may well accept playing that way if you get a result but they certainly wouldn't accept playing like that and losing.

15 minutes ago, mrbojangles said:

Of course the result on the day gives a smile to your fans Sparkles and yes, they'd take that result. I just think the glee will be short lived if you played like that every week. You also wouldn't get the luck every week of catching us off guard with the free kick (and Ederson blundering it) and you certainly wouldn't be getting the same blunder for your 2nd goal. I think if we both played the same way against each other again, the result wouldn't be the same. Your fans may well accept playing that way if you get a result but they certainly wouldn't accept playing like that and losing.

Like Sparkles said. Now's the time to be magnanimous. We've played you off the park twice this season.

Here's some food for thought. The circa 2007/2008 United team was recently judged to be the 2nd best English team of all time (not just Premier League era) on Sky Sports MNF recently. Whether you agree with that or not, it was a talent packed team from back to front. But I saw that team defend doggedly with about 10 men behind the ball for about 180 mins against Barca in the CL semi, before a Scholes thunderbolt won it. We did what we needed to do because of Barca's style of play - not their superiority........

We won't play like that every week, because we have several different ways of playing. Honest question - do you think Pep's dedication to one playing style the majority of the time could be one of his few weaknesses? Sure, he has done very well playing that style, but doesn't it leave you open to being tactically outmanouvered by the best coaches in one off big games?

@Sparkles interested to hear your views too. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Bredbury Blue said:

Progress, after 29 games:
Last season - 5th - 58 points
This season - 5th - 45 points, or 13 points (23%) LESS

Still seems a bit premature to be talking about being a force next year.

You fail to mention the improvement of other teams eg Leicester ,Sheffield United there are no easy games and if you can't see the dramatic improvement in United's defence, the clean sheets, and the potential of one, if not the youngest teams, in the competition well I can't help you. I don't need to consult Google.

With Rashford back and a couple of youngish, quality additions this is a team for the future. It wasn't me that called OGS a "rookie manager" that has achieved nothing it was other negative posters and the corrosive tabloid media.

Tahith Chong has signed a new contract he & his agent obviously feel the same for him to to be part of a new beginning. Lots of exciting talent coming through and they know they will be given a chance 

12 hours ago, RickG16 said:

Like Sparkles said. Now's the time to be magnanimous. We've played you off the park twice this season.

Here's some food for thought. The circa 2007/2008 United team was recently judged to be the 2nd best English team of all time (not just Premier League era) on Sky Sports MNF recently. Whether you agree with that or not, it was a talent packed team from back to front. But I saw that team defend doggedly with about 10 men behind the ball for about 180 mins against Barca in the CL semi, before a Scholes thunderbolt won it. We did what we needed to do because of Barca's style of play - not their superiority........

We won't play like that every week, because we have several different ways of playing. Honest question - do you think Pep's dedication to one playing style the majority of the time could be one of his few weaknesses? Sure, he has done very well playing that style, but doesn't it leave you open to being tactically outmanouvered by the best coaches in one off big games?

@Sparkles interested to hear your views too. 

What are we doing on this thread Rick ? Back to home base ! OGS/Phelan know what they were  doing or they wouldn't have won last weekend. I bet the players who would have been on cloud 9,post game, got a real talking that harder games lie ahead.I don't see any easy games especially those sliding down the ladder ie Spurs or teams fighting relegation. Of course they can play different ways its horses for courses. 

I didn't see the game live I sat and watched it with a friend who is a City fan at my home the next morning. When Mc Tominay seized on that keeper error and blasted it home he thought it was going into row Z the look on his face was priceless as was SAF's in the stands.

13 hours ago, mrbojangles said:

You've been around long enough to know that OGS has employed those tactics against, on paper, superior teams before with significant results,its the lower teams that United have struggled against ,that's maybe will  change to a degree with Fernandes coming on board.

Would OGS play the same way if they played you next week ? probably not he would respect the ability of Pep to adjust and certainly would not use Sterling on the left against WB.

Despite the negativity OGS still has a lot of credit in the bank with fans ,not so the owners.I said give the rebuild 2 years ,still one summer window to go