• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mrbojangles

• Bredbury Blue

• RickG16

• jellydog

I was reading the other day about another record breaking summer for selling our academy players and that they won the Premier League 2 and under-18 Premier League for the third season running. It reminded me of a conversation / debate we had on here a decade ago. Alfie was saying our owners weren't bringing players through and would only buy talent. I said that the academy wasn't even finished yet but within ten years we would have players would be coming through. We beat that target by a couple of years and our academy are not only self sustaining in bringing good monetary sales but we are making a healthy profit to boot. 

On 6/5/2013 at 2:24 PM, alfieconn said:

I would imagine that the owners have abandoned the "bringing the youth through project" being as they won dick all last season, perhaps someone failed to tell them that it was a twenty year plan http://l.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/emoticons7/15.gif

On 6/5/2013 at 3:48 PM, mrbojangles said:

You imagine wrong alfie and are way off the mark. The point of my first post to smokes is that it isn't City who have been banging on and on about our youth coming through. We know that we have some youth but in the main we have bought the talent. No problem with that. Our owner made it quite clear that was his short to medium term strategy, straight from the off.

He also said that with the FFP coming in and the club having to be a sustainable business, the future was about bringing youth in. The Etihad Campus isn't finished yet but is all part of the longer term strategy. Or as he calls it, the "holistic" view of which he didn't feel Mancini was bought into. Give it time and we will be having a different conversation on here.

Mocking Ronaldo, proving coaches wrong, holding players back - Inside Man City academy's historic season - Manchester Evening News

Man City on course to break new record for academy transfer sales - Manchester Evening News

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, mrbojangles said:

22 minutes into the new season and KdB out already. For how long I don't know ????

Apart from that. A fairly routine win but at least Burnley tried to have a go

The title is yours. Well done

10 hours ago, mrbojangles said:

First trophy of the season in the bag. Might as well win it if you have to play in it. Not looking forward to the World Club Cup or whatever it's called. Bang in the middle of the season and takes up about 10 or 11 days

Always nice to win those shootouts! A strange start to the season with the injury to KDB and some players leaving. Should be very competitive at the top this year. Newcastle looks like trouble.

An incredible tireless performance from Foden today. Easily the MOTM despite Alvarez's rocket goal. 

A strange thing has been Rodri's multiple loose passes. Not just today but in the last game as well. Weird.

On 8/20/2023 at 6:02 AM, jellydog said:

An incredible tireless performance from Foden today. Easily the MOTM despite Alvarez's rocket goal. 

A strange thing has been Rodri's multiple loose passes. Not just today but in the last game as well. Weird.

Chuffed with that result. Was gonna be tricky to start, regarding fitness levels and injuries but with the FA not supporting any English teams who play in europe, you have to get on with it and dig in.

Agree about Rodri. Used to be so solid but Dias was there to cover and hardly anything got passed him

As for Foden. Difficult to give a quick summary on his performance except stunning. Absolutely stunning

• Thumbs Up 1

Pep Guardiola to miss upcoming Man City matches after back surgery

Manchester City manager Pep Guardiola will recover in Barcelona after emergency surgery on a severe back issue

Pep Guardiola will miss at least two Manchester City matches after undergoing emergency surgery on a longstanding back problem.

The Catalan flew out to Barcelona for a successful operation after suffering from severe back pain recently, and will spend a few weeks recovering there before returning after the international break. That means that for the Sheffield United and Fulham matches at least, assistant Juanma Lillo will take control of the team.

Full story Pep Guardiola to miss upcoming Man City matches after back surgery - Manchester Evening News

1 hour ago, mrbojangles said:

Yeah but apparently there is a buy out clause in his contract, which won't help to douse the flames of uncertainty ????

I read that City have him for this season and then all bets are off.

On 8/28/2023 at 6:38 AM, jellydog said:

Walker has pretty much eliminated some stupid things he used to do, but he relapsed today. Rodri bailed him out.

Yeah t'was a schoolboy error that was. He won't be doing that again. In fairness though, it was Walker who kept the ball alive and then skinned the defender for our second goal. 

• Thumbs Up 2

On 8/28/2023 at 6:43 AM, jellydog said:

I hope we can pick up a DM to give Rodri a rest at times.

Apparently we are going to put an improved bid in for Matheus Nunes from Wolves.  We offered £47m but Wolves want £60m. He's gone on strike apparently to try and force the move

On 8/30/2023 at 10:24 AM, bluemoon58 said:

And that tells me a great deal about the guys character! We need to steer well clear and leave him to stew!

I thought the same at first. Then remembered Mahrez did the same at Leicester. Still don't like it though. Will he throw his toys out if he doesn't get picked every game, cos at City nobody is guaranteed a start as rotation is the key to staying in as many comps as possible.

On 8/31/2023 at 11:17 AM, mrbojangles said:

I thought the same at first. Then remembered Mahrez did the same at Leicester. Still don't like it though. Will he throw his toys out if he doesn't get picked every game, cos at City nobody is guaranteed a start as rotation is the key to staying in as many comps as possible.

Exactly! 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...