The Official Manchester United Thread

Jonathan Fairfield

On 8/26/2023 at 3:49 PM, LeungKen said:

Hi BJ , Please can we retitle this thread for the 23'24 season. Thanks

It doesn't get renamed every year Ken. If you remember there was an old thread (as with all the other teams) but they were clogging up the system so JonathanFairfield created new topics for all the active teams and named them all ***********2019 so that you could tell the difference between the old and new topics

2 hours ago, mrbojangles said:

It doesn't get renamed every year Ken. If you remember there was an old thread (as with all the other teams) but they were clogging up the system so JonathanFairfield created new topics for all the active teams and named them all ***********2019 so that you could tell the difference between the old and new topics

Oh, Ok. I guess Jonathan has set the precedent, so far be it for me to stick my oar in.

Thanks B.J. & keep up the good work. ???? ????

• Like 1

5 hours ago, mrbojangles said:

I think it should be renamed every year.......

5 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

Work??

I think you fail to realise how much MR B.J. has given this site in all it's guises over the years, not to mention the things he has to put up with as a moderator as have many of the mods many of whom follow other teams.

Manchester United has been my team since 1956, I have seen them rise and fall as do most teams. Through all that time I have watched many games of football, the most enjoyable of course is when we win and play well, I have also watched games when we have been well beaten by a better team. So be it.

Football is a beautiful game, and if played in the right spirit and manner then I am happy for the best team on the night be it Man United, Man City or Accrington Stanley to win.

5 minutes ago, LeungKen said:

I think you fail to realise how much MR B.J. has given this site in all it's guises over the years, not to mention the things he has to put up with as a moderator as have many of the mods many of whom follow other teams.

Manchester United has been my team since 1956, I have seen them rise and fall as do most teams. Through all that time I have watched many games of football, the most enjoyable of course is when we win and play well, I have also watched games when we have been well beaten by a better team. So be it.

Football is a beautiful game, and if played in the right spirit and manner then I am happy for the best team on the night be it Man United, Man City or Accrington Stanley to win.

I echo all that Ken. Was just pulling his leg.

Although I'd rather United or Accrington win than City. 

United were a bit unlucky with the Garncho offside yesterday.

Although, given the gift they got against Wolves 6 points from 12 is probably about right given their performances. 

Brighton after the international break will be a tough game though.

1 hour ago, JonnyF said:

United were a bit unlucky with the Garncho offside yesterday.

Although, given the gift they got against Wolves 6 points from 12 is probably about right given their performances. 

Brighton after the international break will be a tough game though.

I will watch the highlights on Match of the Day tonight, however it appears they gave two goals away in extra time added??

I watched Nottingham Forest play yesterday and Anthony Elanga certainly showed some touches of class, yet United let him go?

35 minutes ago, xylophone said:

I will watch the highlights on Match of the Day tonight, however it appears they gave two goals away in extra time added??

I watched Nottingham Forest play yesterday and Anthony Elanga certainly showed some touches of class, yet United let him go?

Yeah 2 goals in added on time.

United had Maguire and Evans at centre back for much of the game. How that has happened after the money they've spent is quite incredible. Ten Hag has fallen out with Sancho. Elanga has gone while Martial stays. Quite a few injuries. Sat 11th in the table with City, Spurs, Arsenal, Liverpool all looking strong. It's going to be a long season I think...

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, xylophone said:

As above, I thought Elanga looked pretty sharp for Notts Forest, so did he fall out with ETH as well??

Sancho was preferred to Elanga , Sancho was thought to be the dog blocks. 

• Thumbs Up 1

21 minutes ago, xylophone said:

As above, I thought Elanga looked pretty sharp for Notts Forest, so did he fall out with ETH as well??

.... Ronaldo is missed and he was replaced with a dutch guy that didn't put 1 goal in 555... ETH should take some lessons on communication skills, not to mention football tactics. Average team, average coach looking for ending middle table, competition is fierce this season

Edited by Mavideol
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Mavideol said:

.... Ronaldo is missed and he was replaced with a dutch guy that didn't put 1 goal in 555... ETH should take some lessons on communication skills, not to mention football tactics. Average team, average coach looking for ending middle table, competition is fierce this season

I have to agree with your assessment Mavideol, as unfortunately Utd have wasted money over the past couple of year buying average players and hanging on to the likes of Martial and others...........will be lucky to finish in the top 6 this year.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

22 hours ago, xylophone said:

I don't think he fell out with ETH. I just think Ten Hag didn't think he had what it takes and put his eggs in the Sancho/Antony basket (Antony BTW has just been dropped from the Brazil side for domestic abuse allegations).

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2023/sep/04/manchester-united-and-brazil-face-calls-to-drop-antony-after-assault-allegations#:~:text=Antony and Cavallin became a,and on holiday in Brazil.

• Thanks 1

On 9/4/2023 at 5:21 PM, xylophone said:

I have to agree with your assessment Mavideol, as unfortunately Utd have wasted money over the past couple of year buying average players and hanging on to the likes of Martial and others...........will be lucky to finish in the top 6 this year.

glad to see u come up to the reality, top 6 would be expecting too much..... Greenwood, Martial, McGuire, Anthony and some more don't have Utd mentality, the club has been poorly managed since Sir Alex quit

• Thumbs Up 2

Greenwood, now Antony. 

Don’t United do background checks on their signings? Or given that Greenwood came through the system like Giggs did, is it the culture within the club that creates these individuals? 

Sad state of affairs when your goal is top 4 and that’s in doubt after 4 games.

After getting owned by Sancho, Diet Pep will do well to last the season at this rate.

Maybe Mourinho was right about the state of the club?

United in a tough spot. Without De Gea to keep them in games with his fantastic shot stopping they're going to have to score a lot of goals to pick up points, and they don't really have the players or the system to do that.

Could be a long season. Let's hope they keep faith in Ten Hag.

• Thumbs Up 1

17 hours ago, xylophone said:

And OGS was not as good as he thought he was, in fact he was a disaster as a manager, and stayed far too long!!!!

you are correct again 555 OGS was an OK player, not exceptional player but as a manager he was below ok/ average, MU knew what he had done at Cardiff  555

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ole_Gunnar_Solskjær

In 2014, he served as manager of Cardiff City, during which the club was relegated from the Premier League

• Thumbs Up 1

On 9/10/2023 at 9:03 PM, JonnyF said:

Greenwood, now Antony. 

Don’t United do background checks on their signings? Or given that Greenwood came through the system like Giggs did, is it the culture within the club that creates these individuals? 

Sad state of affairs when your goal is top 4 and that’s in doubt after 4 games.

After getting owned by Sancho, Diet Pep will do well to last the season at this rate.

Maybe Mourinho was right about the state of the club?

there is no maybe, Mo was 150% right and he open his mouth to tell the truth and got fired

ETH is as good or as bad as OGS, last year he (ETH) go a forward that didn't put a goal in, this year he spent some good money on a Danish player that lacks of experience but his mainly very physical, he the guy scores 10 goals in all season it would be a miracle

• 2 weeks later...
47 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

A bit unfortunate against Palace I thought. Could have got a draw with a bit of luck.

On the plus side, still top half and above Chelsea.

image.png.dc1b856180feddbb1afd00e1b6ff9dc4.png

image.png.f9567610393759e9c72ebb4d24d0bc49.png

But still a team lacking the class and excitement of the Uniteds of yesteryear, I'm afraid to say.

Edited by xylophone
  • Like 1