The Official Manchester United Thread

Jonathan Fairfield

18 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

Depends.... If it's a school night my usual habit is to avoid looking at the score and watch the full replay the day after. However, after some time away I came back and found my (6 months old) TV is on the blink.

As no work today I thought I might stay up last night but I ended up bailing and watched the highlights this morning. 

With your prawn sandwiches ????

1 minute ago, BangrakBob said:

Substitute - The Who. "I look pretty tall but my heels are high"?

Going back a bit far there fella..... But I do like The Who. Had a live at the Isle of Wight Festival CD. They played Tommy in it's entirety. Good band.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

Going back a bit far there fella..... But I do like The Who. Had a live at the Isle of Wight Festival CD. They played Tommy in it's entirety. Good band.

Yeah my old man's era, I used to listen to his records as a kid, he's 72 now and still goes to Northern Soul nights to dance all night, and doesn't mind getting a 4 hour flight to be there. Just set him up with a mint turntable and speakers at home. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, BangrakBob said:

Yeah my old man's era, I used to listen to his records as a kid, he's 72 now and still goes to Northern Soul nights to dance all night, and doesn't mind getting a 4 hour flight to be there. Just set him up with a mint turntable and speakers at home. 

I like the sound of your Dad. He must be chuffed with his new deck and speakers. Neighbours might not be mind

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BangrakBob said:

Did he got to the Twisted Wheel?

16 hours ago, xylophone said:

IMO a poor display by Utd, with the players who should be able to set the standards, not doing so. Sloppy passing and marking and some players not putting in the hard yards.

RR has his work cut out, and that's an understatement.

What happened to the 'new manager bounce'? Didn't we all say that any decent manager could get a tune out of these players?

Sorry, the manager has to be accountable too.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

What happened to the 'new manager bounce'? Didn't we all say that any decent manager could get a tune out of these players?

You make a good point and I'm not sure that the new formation that RR is trying to implement helps at all........or at least it didn't seem to against Newcastle!!

And to all intents and purposes RR is a "decent manager", but you can be the best manager in the world, however when players are unable to even pass a ball to one of their own team, or lack the ability to see opportunities/openings where they exist, then IMO the players have to be held accountable.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

Gary Neville reckons unrest and power struggles in the dressing room. I reckon there's something in that and I also reckon CR7 is at the center of it.

Gary Neville offers solution to Man Utd 'unrest' amid dressing room power struggle

Full story:- Gary Neville offers solution to Man Utd 'unrest' amid dressing room power struggle - Mirror Online

Cristiano Ronaldo 'not convinced' by Ralf Rangnick as Man Utd frustrations come to light

Full story:- Cristiano Ronaldo 'not convinced' by Ralf Rangnick as Man Utd frustrations come to light - Mirror Online

3 minutes ago, mrbojangles said:

Gary Neville reckons unrest and power struggles in the dressing room. I reckon there's something in that and I also reckon CR7 is at the center of it.

Gary Neville offers solution to Man Utd 'unrest' amid dressing room power struggle

Full story:- Gary Neville offers solution to Man Utd 'unrest' amid dressing room power struggle - Mirror Online

Cristiano Ronaldo 'not convinced' by Ralf Rangnick as Man Utd frustrations come to light

Full story:- Cristiano Ronaldo 'not convinced' by Ralf Rangnick as Man Utd frustrations come to light - Mirror Online

Comon mate. What Gary Neville reckons isn't a story.

And these new rumours seem to stem from the players travelling home in the dark, which got twisted into 'the players don't like travelling home in the dark'

Not concerned at all about what Neville thinks or rumours in the Daily Mirror. I'm concerned that there must be a reason why RR hasn't managed an elite club and has always been content to take a DoF type role....... The answer is probably that for all his tactical wisdom, he doesn't have the big personality of a Klopp or Tuchel.

But it's OK. He is an interim manager remember.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, xylophone said:

You make a good point and I'm not sure that the new formation that RR is trying to implement helps at all........or at least it didn't seem to against Newcastle!!

And to all intents and purposes RR is a "decent manager", but you can be the best manager in the world, however when players are unable to even pass a ball to one of their own team, or lack the ability to see opportunities/openings where they exist, then IMO the players have to be held accountable.

These players don't look motivated or galvanized. That's his job too!

Look at the best modern managers. They aren't just tactical whizzes, they are also father figure / best mate / kind of cool guy types. Why? Because the modern top footballer leaves quite an isolated existence detached from reality and needs somebody to make them feel good!

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

These players don't look motivated or galvanized. That's his job too!

Again, you have a point, however thinking back to my footballing career when I played senior amateur football, and was paid for it, and also played against Crystal Palace, Chelsea and a few others in pre-season friendlies (and quite a few teams who now play in the top divisions), I and other guys in the team really didn't need to be motivated, because that was what we did – – we played football and thoroughly enjoyed it and did our very best to win games.

There's only so much motivation that a manager can bring to a side, however the players have to have a great deal of self-motivation in wanting to win, prove themselves, show what they can do, and there is a counter to this argument, inasmuch as if the manager is an absolute dork, then players really don't want to play for him, and therefore don't.

I'm trying to look at the bigger picture and United appear to have been disjointed from top to bottom for quite some time now and it shows by the number of players who are still on their books, who shouldn't be; the number of managers they've had who couldn't "cut the mustard" and the panic signing of the likes of CR, not to mention DVB, who can't get a game.

"There's something rotten in the state of United" to steal a phrase from Hamlet, and it hasn't been fixed for quite some time, and you only have to look at the number of managers who have been there since the departure of Alex Ferguson to see that something is very wrong.

In addition, the fact that United have failed to seek out and entice a top and experienced manager to come to the club speaks volumes, and even if they do get someone like Louis van Gaal, whose credentials were great, he isn't (or his style isn't) considered good enough for United??

I don't know enough about RR to comment, although in the very small amounts that I had read prior to his appointment, no one seemed to be bursting with enthusiasm over it?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RickG16 said:

I mentioned it before, but if RR is going to be developing a higher level pressing, intensity and shape to this team it could get uglier again. And as you have mentioned, interim manager so is it worth doing so only for it to be scrapped in 6 months when the team is just getting the hang of it. 

1 hour ago, BangrakBob said:

Quite regularly chippy, he used to ride down with his mates from Wigan. They'd regularly get in scraps with rockers in Manchester ????

Them were the days I was in the Wheel every Saturday night for the all nighters, share this with him

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BangrakBob said:

I mentioned it before, but if RR is going to be developing a higher level pressing, intensity and shape to this team it could get uglier again. And as you have mentioned, interim manager so is it worth doing so only for it to be scrapped in 6 months when the team is just getting the hang of it. 

He's going to 'go upstairs' after the 6 months so will still have an influence.

1 hour ago, ChipButty said:

Them were the days I was in the Wheel every Saturday night for the all nighters, share this with him

nice one cheers pal, I'll definitely do that.

I've literally just come from his house (lives across the road????) now after enjoying a Redbreast 12 with him while he put on a record for me. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, mrbojangles said:

Too many "me first" personalities I'd bet, with CR7 the worst of the bunch. That squad needs a clear out.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, jellydog said:

Too many "me first" personalities I'd bet, with CR7 the worst of the bunch. That squad needs a clear out.

it's funny how people here blame the guy for all bad done by the team, he doesn't play alone there are 10 more with him or maybe it could be the manager or maybe could be the captain or maybe could be the management or .... or.... and maybe the next game the guy puts 2 goals in and he is the best again. MU was sick or has been sick for quite sometime even before CR7 arrival, maybe should look back and see what happened.... for me getting rid of Maguire, Shaw, Bissaka, Greenwood, Rashford, Pogba, Martial, Fred, thus the majority of no good players and we may start to see some improvements, the Greenwood kid could be an ok player if he learned how to play for the team, he's extremely shelfish.....

• Like 1