The Official Chelsea FC Thread

Jonathan Fairfield

Boehly and the board have really put all their eggs in one basket with Potter. All his old Brighton back room staff are there so, if Potter goes, they all go. One mighty large severance pay out awaits if we don't beat Leeds at the weekend.

Jimmy Floyd made some valid points on Sky, one of which was the new signings come in and want to prove themselves to the club and the fans so, they take that extra touch or that extra man which turns out unproductive to the team. Then, when it doesn't go well for them, they lose confidence and go into their shell.

Spurs were an organised, disciplined side and let us have the ball but packed their penalty area when we tried to make in roads. 

I think Potter is trying to make us into another Arsenal, with two quick and nippy wingers ( Mudryk and Madueke) but is afraid to play them together in case we become too open. I'd definitely start with them against Leeds (Ayling is slower than me) because we need to score goals, not worry about conceding them.

• Thumbs Up 1

Silva out or for maybe 6 weeks might be a blessing in disguise,imo it could lead to us playing out from the back a lot quicker, but not having Badiashile in the Champions league squad is now looking more dumb than it did before.

Cant see W.Fofana being risked against Leeds,so Chalobah to partner Koulibaly and Bads would be my call...then perm any 7 from the remaining 19 players to play in-front of them.

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, keithsimmonds said:

Crazy to start Fofana imo given how important the Dortmund game is.. Fingers crossed he doesn't get injured.

It looks like everybody finished the match unscathed so now, Dortmund awaits. 

As per usual with a team lacking confidence, we came out in a positive mood in both halves but, as time wore on and there was nothing to show for our endeavour, doubts began to creep in. A big relief when Fofana nodded in. Leeds are a quick team in midfield and attack so, removing Felix and Sterling who were beginning to look knackered, for Gallagher and Dennis Z was the right thing to do. I liked the look of Fofana, Koulibally and Badiashile in a back three, comfortable on the ball and quick. Chalobah came on and did well against Gnonto so, I have no doubts about him starting on Tuesday. Kovacic was lively and direct and added much needed pace to our midfield. Yeah, overall some positive signs but we've got to put our chances away.

• Thumbs Up 1

52 minutes ago, oldgit said:

It looks like everybody finished the match unscathed so now, Dortmund awaits. 

As per usual with a team lacking confidence, we came out in a positive mood in both halves but, as time wore on and there was nothing to show for our endeavour, doubts began to creep in. A big relief when Fofana nodded in. Leeds are a quick team in midfield and attack so, removing Felix and Sterling who were beginning to look knackered, for Gallagher and Dennis Z was the right thing to do. I liked the look of Fofana, Koulibally and Badiashile in a back three, comfortable on the ball and quick. Chalobah came on and did well against Gnonto so, I have no doubts about him starting on Tuesday. Kovacic was lively and direct and added much needed pace to our midfield. Yeah, overall some positive signs but we've got to put our chances away.

Back 3 did play well,less so imo was Rlc,just dont think he is suited to the Rwb position.

Dortmund got a bit of help from the German Fa by allowing them to play Friday night...going to be a very tense and nervy affair on Tuesday,could easily end up with more than the 10 bookings from the 1st game.

3 hours ago, keithsimmonds said:

Back 3 did play well,less so imo was Rlc,just dont think he is suited to the Rwb position.

Dortmund got a bit of help from the German Fa by allowing them to play Friday night...going to be a very tense and nervy affair on Tuesday,could easily end up with more than the 10 bookings from the 1st game.

I dunno mate. He was a bit tentative early on, but I thought he did well the longer the game went on. He made some nice breaks down the line which took out a few defenders. We should have beaten them at their place so I'm expecting us to swarm all over 'em!

Game well played by Chelsea.  First time I have seen Potter happy in months. Chelsea came out with a lot of energy and Dortmund looked flat.  Haller was invisible. I thought Chilwell, James, Fofana, Kovacic, Sterling, and Kai played well.  I was especially happy to see James taking his defensive duties seriously.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, swerve said:

Game well played by Chelsea.  First time I have seen Potter happy in months. Chelsea came out with a lot of energy and Dortmund looked flat.  Haller was invisible. I thought Chilwell, James, Fofana, Kovacic, Sterling, and Kai played well.  I was especially happy to see James taking his defensive duties seriously.

James MOTM for me. 

16 hours ago, jellydog said:

James MOTM for me. 

Plenty of contenders for that honour..

Looks like we could bring back our ‘Goal of the Month’ competition now!

My thoughts on the refereeing, penalty and retake were both correct, only people ignorant of the laws of the game are questioning the retake. Should have been a red for the foul on James, should have been a penalty for the shove in the back on Havertz but for me the biggest boob by the ref was blowing for a non existent foul when we had three players racing towards goal. He should have let the move finish and if we’d scored VAR could have reviewed the blatant non-foul.

Onwards and upwards, shame we can’t get Rottenham in the next round!

Edited by Blue Muton
Correcting Americanized spellcheck.
  • Thumbs Up 1