US man so pleased to get back cash left in taxi that he’s moving here

webfact

16 hours ago, madmen said:
16 hours ago, drayger said:
Who in the hell walks around with 310,000 baht cash and if you did how can you be so stupid to leave it in a taxi some people aren't safe to be let out alone. I have a hard job believing this type of story

Maybe because you never had it? . Thousands of people carry sub 10 grand in cash as its not declared when coming through customs

He was on his way OUT; taking nearly 10K$ -hmn!

• Like 1

Oh goody, another early dementia Yank.... just like me!

I think the $9,800 was more to be under radar of US customs and not so much Thai customs.

I don't want to cast aspersions on a retired cop, but one would hope that a cop would know it is not wise to travel with that much dough unless there is a compelling reason to not want any financial bank record.....

Living here so long I guess I have an ingrained suspicious mindset

17 hours ago, drayger said:

Who in the hell walks around with 310,000 baht cash and if you did how can you be so stupid to leave it in a taxi some people aren't safe to be let out alone. I have a hard job believing this type of story

On a "buying trip" in Thailand, I had occasion several times to start with exactly that amount of cash. However, I was EXTREMELY aware of what was in my pocket (not in a bag) and all went well.

It appears that Mr Hart was not quite aware or mindful of the mini fortune that he was carrying.

But good for him that he road with a one-in-a-million honest cabby.

I hope his retirement life in Thailand sees more good luck.

• Like 1

this man doesn't know how to handle his money. Better not move to Thailand, or else he will lose 300k in one night. The girls will see how stupid he is really quickly and get him drugged. Poor naive old man. Stay in your country where everything is familiar. Don't go on adventures.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, NoMeAmes said:

this man doesn't know how to handle his money. Better not move to Thailand, or else he will lose 300k in one night. The girls will see how stupid he is really quickly and get him drugged. Poor naive old man. Stay in your country where everything is familiar. Don't go on adventures.

Sad to say but you are probably correct.

It's rather well known in Thai circles that the police PAY foreigners periodically to lie for these stories. How many people walk around with thousands of dollars in a wallet?? So many gullible readers and Thais exploit the gullibility 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, mickymouse1 said:

Having read and seen many negative comments here even when they were supposed to be positive,I wonder why most of you guys living or staying in Thailand? ????????????

Another gullible old farang who believes ever brown person who smiles at him is genuinely friendly? 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, bangrak said:

Maybe he could better have left, ...after leaving a 20, or small 10, % reward for the taxi driver? Afraid we've just got another stingy long-termer...

If the story is true, why would it be expected to pay the taxi? Just because he did the right thing by returning the money? 

The fact that people think Thais need to be paid for good behavior is indicative of how poor behavior here usually is. In a society where honesty is the norm, nobody would expect a reward to be given. 

• Like 1

...that time of the month, already?

"Taxi- driver returns chest of gold, forgotten by absent minded farang..."

I think, they went a bit overboard with the "now I stay here forever"- part, but it is a nice, fresh and adventurous touch to the storyline!

:coffee1:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, mickymouse1 said:

Having read and seen many negative comments here even when they were supposed to be positive,I wonder why most of you guys living or staying in Thailand? ????????????

What has that got to do with anything?

And by the way: why are you staying here?

Because you especially like the (white) lies, you get spoonfed everyday?>

20 hours ago, drayger said:

He's 74. 

• Haha 1

It is not quite clear if he was travelling out of the country or if he was arriving.  Arriving with 10,000 dollars would have made sense, as he will need 800,000 THB season in a Thai bank for the retirement extension. Leaving the country with 10,000 USD still in his pocket, does not make much sense, other than that he failed to open a bank account for the "retirement seasoned amount". Why would he still have so much cash on him LEAVING the country.

And otherwise, if he was on his way out, he would have been long gone from Suvarnabhmui airport, before the taxi driver found the bag. And he must have missed his flight out while waiting for the taxi driver at the police box in the airport. Or missed his flight eventually while performing all the photo-shooting operation

Something in this story does not fit . . . . . 

6 minutes ago, crazygreg44 said:

It is not quite clear if he was travelling out of the country or if he was arriving.  Arriving with 10,000 dollars would have made sense, as he will need 800,000 THB season in a Thai bank for the retirement extension. Leaving the country with 10,000 USD still in his pocket, does not make much sense, other than that he failed to open a bank account for the "retirement seasoned amount". Why would he still have so much cash on him LEAVING the country.

And otherwise, if he was on his way out, he would have been long gone from Suvarnabhmui airport, before the taxi driver found the bag. And he must have missed his flight out while waiting for the taxi driver at the police box in the airport. Or missed his flight eventually while performing all the photo-shooting operation

Something in this story does not fit . . . . . 

What doesn't fit is the frequency of these stories.  I can believe this can happen, but every month? 

• Thanks 1