Unoffical Spurs Thread

Jonathan Fairfield

3 hours ago, Kadilo said:

I’m a big fan of Poch and what he has done at his disposal shows his class but yesterday I think he got it wrong despite prioritising a top 4 position. 

Even despite your injury situation to make 7 changes to a side that lost 4 days earlier was pretty much giving up on any chance of Silverware this year. By not even having Eriksen on the bench, and it doesnt appear he is injured, just rested and with Watford, Leicester and Newcastle your next three games seemed an odd decision. It was a game in the balance and introducing someone of his quality could of changed the game. It was clearly winnable. 

Maybe he was trying to send a message upstairs in a weakened version of what Mourinho was doing that he needs more players and at a minimum should spend the money they got for Dembele to freshen things up. 

Listenong to the Radio 5 phone in after the game there was a mixed reaction to his decisions with some growing frustrations of being knocked out of 2 competitions in 4 days with some saying they would rather win a trophy than worry about a top 4 finish. One fan for 39 years stating that Poch should go as he has taken them as far as he can and he is a “loser” and you need a winning manager. A bit extreme but there does seems to be a growing divide among the supporters with some losing patience as to which direction the club should be going and what the priorities should be. 

Sorry! 

2 hours ago, alfieconn said:

It's not more players we need it's less injuries and we can't just go out and replace them short term as A. it isn't cost effective B. you can only register 25 players.

Well 10m isn't going freshen anything up !! 

To be fair some fans such as this one have very short memories, he must have seen enough lean years where we have struggled to even get in the top 8 and had some real crap players and he should be appreciating what Poch has done with little resources. 

I appreciate £10 mil don’t buy you much but by your own admissions Llorente ain’t up to much anyway it wouldn’t take much to improve with out Kane up front. 

As well as that a new face can freshen up the dressing room a bit and give everyone a lift and provide at least a little competition for Llorente. 

The Lifelong supporter sounded genuinely peeved that he felt 

Poch as good as threw away a good trophy opportunity rightly or wrongly. 

21 minutes ago, Kadilo said:

I appreciate £10 mil don’t buy you much but by your own admissions Llorente ain’t up to much anyway it wouldn’t take much to improve with out Kane up front. 

As well as that a new face can freshen up the dressing room a bit and give everyone a lift and provide at least a little competition for Llorente. 

Read what i said :

we can't just go out and replace them short term as A. it isn't cost effective B. you can only register 25 players.

Well 10m isn't going freshen anything up !! 

So your advocating getting a 10m pound player to give competition to LLorente when we now have Son back and H will back in a months time.

What your saying for Spurs to do is exactly what Poch implies he no longer wants to do, i.e load up the squad with players of insufficient quality.

Why don't you stick to the scammers thread as you really don't have a clue as to how Spurs work. 

10 minutes ago, alfieconn said:

Read what i said :

So your advocating getting a 10m pound player to give competition to LLorente when we now have Son back and H will back in a months time.

What your saying for Spurs to do is exactly what Poch implies he no longer wants to do, i.e load up the squad with players of insufficient quality.

Why don't you stick to the scammers thread as you really don't have a clue as to how Spurs work. 

It’s just an opinion Alfie. Not everyone has to see it your way. Im only repeating what some other lifelong fans were discussing last night. 

Some may argue, as your own fans were on the radio that your squad doesn’t already have sufficient quality to progress any further and in a months time you may be struggling to hold on to 4th. It’s a matter of opinion, they are Spurs fans too so maybe not everyone is as expert as you on how your own club works. 

Why dont you just stick to a discussion and accept not everyone has to agree with you and sort your anger issues out. 

Edited by Kadilo
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Kadilo said:

It’s just an opinion Alfie. Not everyone has to see it your way. Im only repeating what some other lifelong fans were discussing last night. 

Some may argue, as your own fans were on the radio that your squad doesn’t already have sufficient quality to progress any further and in a months time you may be struggling to hold on to 4th. It’s a matter of opinion, they are Spurs fans too so maybe not everyone is as expert as you on how your own club works. 

Why dont you just stick to a discussion and accept not everyone has to agree with you and sort your anger issues out. 

No anger issues just people like you come on here speaking rubbish telling us where we are going wrong, why don't you stick to sorting out your own clubs issues like being the 7th highest net spenders over the last 5 years and still looking over your shoulder at relegation !

Mind you, you did say something half sensible, that we should buy Crouchie ????

Anyway, so buying a 10m pound CF is really going to solve this  

squad doesn’t already have sufficient quality

Edited by alfieconn

15 minutes ago, alfieconn said:

To be fair, i did think you was joking until you mentioned we pay 10m for another CF ????

Old ? ????

Didn’t you pay 12m for Llorente? 

You must of thought it bought you a decent striker then? What’s changed? 

13 minutes ago, Bredbury Blue said:

On 31 August 2017, Llorente joined Tottenham Hotspur on a two-year deal for an reported fee of £12.1 million.

Ahhhh so that’s why Alfie’s now using his much loved crying with laughter icon at the suggestion you can buy a top striker for around £10mil. 

To be fair you Cant  blame them for not wanting to get shafted again. 

Edited by Kadilo

7 minutes ago, Kadilo said:

Ahhhh so that’s why Alfie’s now using his much loved crying with laughter icon at the suggestion you can buy a top striker for around £10mil. 

To be fair you Cant  blame them for not wanting to get shafted again. 

Nah lamela was well worth the wait...

So in the past 2 seasons Spurs have bought several players around 10m but when somebody raises why not spend 10m our resident spurs expert (555) goes off on one again.

You spurs fans should remember your 81 FA cup victory  over City. Why do i raise it? Because  City were  struggling that season then john bond went out and bought 3 seasoned pros on the cheap and it turned our seaon around [(tommy Hutchinson (winger) . .gerry gow (midfield)..Bobby McDonald (LB)]. Maybe one decent pro in the 10-15m could help the Harry Kane Team kick on.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Bredbury Blue said:

So in the past 2 seasons Spurs have bought several players around 10m but when somebody raises why not spend 10m our resident spurs expert (555) goes off on one again.

You spurs fans should remember your 81 FA cup victory  over City. Why do i raise it? Because  City were  struggling that season then john bond went out and bought 3 seasoned pros on the cheap and it turned our seaon around [(tommy Hutchinson (winger) . .gerry gow (midfield)..Bobby McDonald (LB)]. Maybe one decent pro in the 10-15m could help the Harry Kane Team kick on.

........which brings me back to the original post which was highlighting the very same points made by many SPURS FANS and a studio pundit last after the match. 

It was merely an alternative point of view which he seems to take offence to. 

But in his defence it’s been a tough week for a Spurs fan. Some of us are more used to <deleted> ups

Maybe it needs an interllectial intervention by 3x2 once he finds his dummy to put things in perspective. 

Edited by Kadilo

16 minutes ago, Bredbury Blue said:

The conversation was about an understudy for 10m to Harry and iv'e already explained why it wouldn't be a good idea I.e.  having 3 centre forwards next month when H is fit

So your comparing buying 3 old timers in 1981 with a 10m pound CF as understudy to one of the best CF'S in Europe in  2019 ???? 

Anyway you are now on ignore again Supergrass as you are boring me again.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, alfieconn said:

The conversation was about an understudy for 10m to Harry and iv'e already explained why it wouldn't be a good idea I.e.  having 3 centre forwards next month when H is fit

So your comparing buying 3 old timers in 1981 with a 10m pound CF as understudy to one of the best CF'S in Europe in  2019 ???? 

Been here before, the above means Alfie got shredded. Chapeau Kadilo!

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, alfieconn said:

Oh looks like someone’s found that dummy first!!

Stay down Canvasback, take a count............and keep that chin tucked in!

1 hour ago, Kadilo said:

Oh looks like someone’s found that dummy first!!

Stay down Canvasback, take a count............and keep that chin tucked in!

Don't worry thats supergrass iv'e put on ignore, i wouldn't put you on ignore Kads, your much too fun ????

Edited by alfieconn

5 hours ago, Kadilo said:

From Redknapp :

“It’s difficult to replace people – where are you going to find a top class player who is going to come in for just four and five weeks, but when Harry Kane is back fit you’ll be on the bench? It’s very difficult to find somebody.”

19 hours ago, Kadilo said:

I’m a big fan of Poch and what he has done at his disposal shows his class but yesterday I think he got it wrong despite prioritising a top 4 position. 

Even despite your injury situation to make 7 changes to a side that lost 4 days earlier was pretty much giving up on any chance of Silverware this year. By not even having Eriksen on the bench, and it doesnt appear he is injured, just rested and with Watford, Leicester and Newcastle your next three games seemed an odd decision. It was a game in the balance and introducing someone of his quality could of changed the game. It was clearly winnable. 

Maybe he was trying to send a message upstairs in a weakened version of what Mourinho was doing that he needs more players and at a minimum should spend the money they got for Dembele to freshen things up. 

Listenong to the Radio 5 phone in after the game there was a mixed reaction to his decisions with some growing frustrations of being knocked out of 2 competitions in 4 days with some saying they would rather win a trophy than worry about a top 4 finish. One fan for 39 years stating that Poch should go as he has taken them as far as he can and he is a “loser” and you need a winning manager. A bit extreme but there does seems to be a growing divide among the supporters with some losing patience as to which direction the club should be going and what the priorities should be. 

I am in agreement with Pochettino with regards to focusing on the league and champions league.  Apart from the super rich who will obviously qualify this is what the rest of us strive for.  Its where you need to be.

However, i do agree with you in thinking that Eriksen's complete omission was a bit much.  He was basically giving the FA cup the finger with that team selection.  Maybe should have shown a little more respect.

Then again, on the flip side, what if Eriksen had gotten injured in a tournament we were not going to take seriously?  And apart from the big spenders that splash the cash how many decent buys are made in january? Not many.  Pochettino was prioritizing the Watford game over the cup tie.  With our injury crisis, the worst i can remember we need players back, not more injured.  

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Kadilo said:

We have a difficult situation concerning a back up striker. Clearly Llorente can't cut it and will be off at the end of the season. But we have a back up from the academy, Kasaiah Sterling who is nearly ready and has a little game time under his belt.  This lad has a lot of potential, but still very raw.  I think he might just be Kane's back up next season and start the domestic cup games.

I will reiterate, Sterling, Skipp, Amos, Kane, Walker-Peters and Winks will all be in the squad and playing next season.  This is part of the long term strategy and its paying off.  I'm not so sure Pochettino wants to go out in the market for players unless its very specific as we have a wealth of talent coming through which is clear to "nearly" everyone.  We also have stadium debt which needs to be addressed, in the correct manner.  Some Spurs fans need to get real.  The money was invested in the academy knowing that we were going to build a new stadium. It had to be paid for and not having a sheik or an oligarch there had to be a business plan in place.  On top of that costs escalated.

All this talk of spend this, spend that is simply not realistic at the current time.  Arsenal did it their way under Wenger, we'll do it our way under Pochettino.  I did think we were going to get Wilmar Barrios, the Boca juniors midfielder but that went pear shaped but other than that i doubt anything will happen and rather than buy average players i'd rather promote from the academy as we are currently doing.  We are simply facing an extreme time with this injury situation.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, carmine said:

Pochettino was prioritizing the Watford game over the cup tie.  With our injury crisis, the worst i can remember we need players back, not more injured.  

That’s why he gets paid the big bucks. DIffucult to please all the fans all the times are up to now he has done exceptionally well. 

As ive posted before it’s fine margins. Sometimes a run of defeats can be difficult to turn round from a morale point of view and even what looks like a relatively straight forward next 3 matches may backfire then suddenly those priorities may look debateful for those already sceptical fans. 

Some times a fresh face around the dressing room can add something. I’m pretty sure Chelsea will see the Higuain loan deal may will have that kind of effect for the team as well as the fans who seemed to be having a bit of a dip. 

Its just a different point of view. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kadilo said:

That’s why he gets paid the big bucks. DIffucult to please all the fans all the times are up to now he has done exceptionally well. 

As ive posted before it’s fine margins. Sometimes a run of defeats can be difficult to turn round from a morale point of view and even what looks like a relatively straight forward next 3 matches may backfire then suddenly those priorities may look debateful for those already sceptical fans. 

Some times a fresh face around the dressing room can add something. I’m pretty sure Chelsea will see the Higuain loan deal may will have that kind of effect for the team as well as the fans who seemed to be having a bit of a dip. 

Its just a different point of view. 

We know the direction the club is taking.....no crisis here just a blip and we are still third and in the CL.

Suck it up Utd.