Unoffical Spurs Thread

Jonathan Fairfield

9 hours ago, sotsira said:

Granted that our away record is better, I thought we played like the away team last night, we sat back gave them possession and tried to catch them on the break.

Can't see us doing anything different in the away leg as well.

Although it's gonna be very difficult and tight.

We'll certainly need fresh legs especially in midfield, hopefully

Dier, Lucas, & Verts will be fit for selection, not sure about Wanyama, & Dembele may not even be at the club by then.

Have to say though, Sissoko with all the games he's played he looked the fittest player in the team last night. The guy just never stopped running!

As all know i'm a sissoko fan , however the cynic in me keeps chipping away thinkin.. when's his contract up?

9 hours ago, mrbojangles said:

IF Spurs get to the League Cup final, having played all those games at Wembley, it will be an unfair advantage to the other finalist

Funny because City have boasted a massive advantage over everyone for quite a few seasons now yet you highlight one game!!

If we get to Wembley you will be overwhelming favorites to win as you well know.  it has never been an advantage to us anyway, the pitch size alone doesn't suit our high press.  Its never been anything approaching an advantage.  We will also have had to have played Chelsea over two legs which will be exhausting whereas City could have fielded their U16's to beat Burton, although in fairness that was luck of the draw. It did look a quite ridiculous, embarrassing mismatch from the start though, more fitting to be shown on Game For A Laugh that viewed as a competitive football match. The pleasure for me this tournament, having already knocked out Arsenal, would be to knock Chelsea out, loathsome little monied upstarts they are,  but i am a realist and it's very unlikely we would beat you in the final.

Yet again City fans try to big up the opposition to make it appear a level contest whilst they boast one of the strongest squads ever bought. You could rotate your entire midfield even week if you wanted to!! And as everyone is aware you will probably win the Carabao because of this very reason.  In order to receive the kudos you believe you deserve you will need to dominate europe, (baring any sanction accepted) because dominating a league over clubs with a minute percentage of your wealth and expenditure really doesn't prove very much at all.  i am aware your priority is the league but it really needs to be set higher as i believe that is also the bar set by your owners

59 minutes ago, carmine said:

Funny because City have boasted a massive advantage over everyone for quite a few seasons now yet you highlight one game!!

If we get to Wembley you will be overwhelming favorites to win as you well know.  it has never been an advantage to us anyway, the pitch size alone doesn't suit our high press.  Its never been anything approaching an advantage. 

It's not just one game though, it's a final and the reason finals are played at neutral grounds is so that it's fair for both sides. I know you say you don't like Wembley but you've got to admit that playing there for so long now, has to be an advantage for you.

It also doesn't matter whether we'll be favourites or not, it's a one off game and anyone can win on the day. Like Wigan did.

1 hour ago, carmine said:

Yet again City fans try to big up the opposition to make it appear a level contest 

Uugh? Don't think I've heard anyone bigging up last nights opposition. We put out an almost full strength squad and it was a mis-match. But you can only beat who's in front of you and we did that quite convincingly

because dominating a league over clubs with a minute percentage of your wealth and expenditure really doesn't prove very much at all.

Are you forgetting that your the 11th richest club in the world and so you too dominate the majority of other clubs!

Must admit, the money bit does get tiresome. United, Liverpool and Chelsea where all spending big bucks when we hadn't a pot to pee in and yet that seemed fine to most people.

As for CL. Yeah I'd love to win it, of course I would but it's a knock out comp, it's not a league over 38 matches. So luck plays a big part in knock out comps. If we ever do win it, I hope it's not at the expense of the PL

1 hour ago, 3 minus 2 said:

Its still a 'buzz' and a memorable day.. for other  teams and fans to play/go to  wembley .. for us   not so .. in FACT there seems to be a growing resentment/ dislike from the players,  so  by my reckoning it sort of evens out

Nah. The buzz will return for a final. If it doesn't, the players need to take a long hard look in the mirror and assess whether they are in the right profession 

12 minutes ago, mrbojangles said:

It's not just one game though, it's a final and the reason finals are played at neutral grounds is so that it's fair for both sides. I know you say you don't like Wembley but you've got to admit that playing there for so long now, has to be an advantage for you.

It also doesn't matter whether we'll be favourites or not, it's a one off game and anyone can win on the day. Like Wigan did.

I think our spurs fans are being very defensive here.

Leave City out of this scenario.

Any team that plays in a final, against a team that has been using the final's venue all season as their home game, is at a disadvantage, which as stated above is why we have neutral venues.

Consider that Spurs could continue playing all season at Wembley and get to the final of the FA cup, and yet agai the other finalist would be at a disadvantage.

1 minute ago, mrbojangles said:

Are you forgetting that your the 11th richest club in the world and so you too dominate the majority of other clubs!

Must admit, the money bit does get tiresome. United, Liverpool and Chelsea where all spending big bucks when we hadn't a pot to pee in and yet that seemed fine to most people.

As for CL. Yeah I'd love to win it, of course I would but it's a knock out comp, it's not a league over 38 matches. So luck plays a big part in knock out comps. If we ever do win it, I hope it's not at the expense of the PL

A lot seems to be made that were the 11th richest club in the world but little made of the difference in our wealth to the likes of yours.  Secondly, as you are aware we have an owner that simply doesn't thrown hundreds to millions towards buying players.  The fact that we operate within our means suggest we don't have that huge advantage in the league that others do.

6 minutes ago, mrbojangles said:

Nah. The buzz will return for a final. If it doesn't, the players need to take a long hard look in the mirror and assess whether they are in the right profession 

I'm not sure it will return to anything like you would expect if we were to get to the final, which is far from a done deal.  Spurs fans absolutely hate Wembley now.  And to cap it all after the i'st leg there were massive train delays off the back of it being a right bastard to get to anyway.  I'd rather we played the final at another ground too, at your choice if you want!

2 minutes ago, carmine said:

I'm not sure it will return to anything like you would expect if we were to get to the final, which is far from a done deal.  Spurs fans absolutely hate Wembley now.  And to cap it all after the i'st leg there were massive train delays off the back of it being a right bastard to get to anyway.  I'd rather we played the final at another ground too, at your choice if you want!

Blimey. Your lot are only down the road and your complaining about train delays. City fans will have hours and hours of travelling.

I think it should be at Cardiff as Champers said but the FA need the money to pay for the place, so there's no chance of it moving

8 minutes ago, carmine said:

A lot seems to be made that were the 11th richest club in the world but little made of the difference in our wealth to the likes of yours.  Secondly, as you are aware we have an owner that simply doesn't thrown hundreds to millions towards buying players.  The fact that we operate within our means suggest we don't have that huge advantage in the league that others do.

2 hours ago, Bredbury Blue said:

Guardian - "More recently, the Cardiff manager, Neil Warnock, argued Tottenham ought to remain at Wembley for the remainder of the season, as to move now would offer a competitive advantage to the relegation-threatened clubs that still had to play them away.

Warnock’s theory was that when Spurs did move, it would take them time to settle and visiting teams would benefit. Mauricio Pochettino countered that by saying his team would be boosted immediately when they moved but, in which case, the relegation-threatened teams that still had to visit them would surely be disadvantaged. That said, Spurs have beaten every team they have already played from the bottom half of the table at Wembley." - it's a fair point!

I doubt Warnock or the Guardian  looked at our remaining 

home games in March April & May before coming out with all this crapp.

Our only home game left with a relegation threatened team 

is Huddersfield on 13th April.

Huddersfield are bottom and favourites to go down, Cardiff will fight it out with the likes of Burnley,Southampton, Fulham 

& Newcastle who have already played us at home this season.

So all this talk is pretty much a non issue in reality, especially 

when we won't be moving to our new stadium until at least 

mid March but probably April at the earliest anyway.

9 minutes ago, carmine said:

A lot seems to be made that were the 11th richest club in the world but little made of the difference in our wealth to the likes of yours.

I'm not denying we have a lot of money and have an advantage over many clubs, I'm just pointing out that you ain't so poor yourselves and also have an advantage over the smaller clubs.

8 minutes ago, mrbojangles said:

Blimey. Your lot are only down the road and your complaining about train delays. City fans will have hours and hours of travelling.

I think it should be at Cardiff as Champers said but the FA need the money to pay for the place, so there's no chance of it moving

And like recent seasons it will be played at stupid oclock making it inconvenient for northern fans.. (southerners complaining about minor train delays across Larndon Town when northern fans will probably have the inconvenience of having to stay in hotels).

Based on Spurs Wembley situation it should  be  looked at if they get to the caraboa  or FA final; it won't though and it will be a huge 'home' advantage for them.

23 minutes ago, mrbojangles said:

We do play all over the country as well you know!!  Try Birkenhead from London for a friday night kick off against Tranmere!!

I'm just making the point about our so called home games and the great advantage thing you are bigging up.

Any why should the FA cup have to be played in Wales?

We do play all over the country as well you know!!  Try Birkenhead from London for a friday night kick off against Tranmere!!

I'm just making the point about our so called home games and the great advantage thing you are bigging up.

We travel all over as well but thought this conversation was about Wembley and the final. And you complaining about some train delays when our supporters will have much further to travel didn't wash. And you do have an advantage, of that there can be absolutely no denying. Whether you like or dislike Wembley, you know that pitch and how it plays better than any other club.

Any why should the FA cup have to be played in Wales?

It doesn't. It's just that's where they played whilst Wembley was being built. It holds about 75,000. Not many other neutral stadiums hold anywhere near that many. Unless you fancy going up to Old Trafford

23 minutes ago, mrbojangles said:

We travel all over as well but thought this conversation was about Wembley and the final. And you complaining about some train delays when our supporters will have much further to travel didn't wash. And you do have an advantage, of that there can be absolutely no denying. Whether you like or dislike Wembley, you know that pitch and how it plays better than any other club.

It doesn't. It's just that's where they played whilst Wembley was being built. It holds about 75,000. Not many other neutral stadiums hold anywhere near that many. Unless you fancy going up to Old Trafford

I'd be fine with Old Trafford actually. That would make no difference at all to me, bring it on! As i said, we play better away than at Wembley.  I just don't see why the cup should be played in Wales. 

If there was such an advantage as you claim the FA and all other clubs would have made other arrangements.  It was not so long ago everyone was laughing saying we were we totally screwed because we had to play home games at Wembley, now its an advantage. I wish you would all make your minds up.

I'm not quite sure what point you thought i was trying to make about traveling fans but you missed the point i was trying to make.

Edited by carmine

I'd be fine with Old Trafford actually. That would make no difference at all to me, bring it on! As i said, we play better away than at Wembley.  I just don't see why the cup should be played in Wales. 

If there was such an advantage as you claim the FA and all other clubs would have made other arrangements.  It was not so long ago everyone was laughing saying we were we totally screwed because we had to play home games at Wembley, now its an advantage. I wish you would all make your minds up.

I'm not quite sure what point you thought i was trying to make about traveling fans but you missed the point i was trying to make.

You no doubt won't  be going to the final if spurs are in it but you're  welcoming your fans having to travel out of london. You're  the man you are!

Edited by Bredbury Blue

1. Not sure the organisers had contemplated spurs being in the final AND still residing at Wembley, as you've been threatening to leave Wembley repeatedly this season but still don't  have a firm date for leaving.

2. I could be wrong but i thought it was you lot bitching earlier  in the season about the disadvantage  of playing at Wembley. Whatever, you've  been there that long now that its a huge advantage should you be playing a final at the 'neutral' ground where you play your home games. Stop avoiding the obvious.

18 hours ago, mrbojangles said:

Yeah the 11th and NO breaking of financial rules... all done within the relevant boundaries.. just thought i'de point in.   SERIOUS question if you get barred from the c l . Will you still be able to keep the same players ..

Perhaps someone with a little more weight on here could inform Bredbury Bore that he had ample opportunity to cease with the baiting and now his "input" is neither read or wanted for the most part.  Take your baiting and trolling elsewhere please.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, RonniePickering22 said:

Plenty of rumours about our number 8 spot....who would you like to see replace Dembele?

I'm not sure this is the best discussion to open up as we are not going to be able to afford who we would like anyway!!  Harry Winks is just going to have to step up.  Anyway, if Pochettino stays we have nothing to worry about anyway.  He'll just keep on improving the players and our good youngsters will become very good youngsters.

i think the main focus now is Eriksen.  If we could keep him the departure of Dembele should be seamless.  But Eriksen would be sorely missed and extremely difficult to replace.

Interesting listening to Poch when he said top four is more important than the Carabao or FA cup.  In the modern game, when you have to self generate the money you spend i think he is right.  Arsene Wenger must love the irony!!

Edited by carmine

Just now, carmine said:

I'm not sure this is the best discussion to open up as we are not going to be able to afford who we would like anyway!!  Harry Winks is just going to have to step up.  Anyway, if Pochettino stays we have nothing to worry about anyway.  He'll just keep on improving the players and our good youngsters will become very good youngsters.

Interesting listening to Poch when he said top four is more important than the Carabao or FA cup.  In the modern game, when you have to self generate the money you spend i think he is right.  Arsene Wenger must love the irony!!

In terms of cash generation and signing players being in the CL is paramount....and yes it can make a league game in April more important to a manager than the CL semi final....how crazy is that!!

2 minutes ago, RonniePickering22 said:

In terms of cash generation and signing players being in the CL is paramount....and yes it can make a league game in April more important to a manager than the CL semi final....how crazy is that!!

It's a realization of a sport completely controlled by money.  We don't even need to go into the obvious lack of scruples when it comes to those who are being allowed to flood their money into the sport, that's a whole different issue which has a separate thread.

5 minutes ago, carmine said:

It's a realization of a sport completely controlled by money.  We don't even need to go into the obvious lack of scruples when it comes to those who are being allowed to flood their money into the sport, that's a whole different issue which has a separate thread.

Apparently we're the 11th richest club in Euroe will a billion quid of debt.

You couldn't make it up!

1 hour ago, RonniePickering22 said:

Apparently we're the 11th richest club in Euroe will a billion quid of debt.

You couldn't make it up!

Haven't you not noticed they like to use the 11th richest club argument when it suits then throw in the stadium debt when it suits!!

Truth is, they don't actually know which one gives defense of their sugar daddy syndrome more credibility????

Nice read in the Guardian today on their belief that Pochettino will stay. Makes perfect sense.

15 minutes ago, mrbojangles said:

I don't think he's denying it, but honestly, you chaps do want your cake and eat it.  Tell me, are we saint and ravaged buy stadium debt or do we have vast sums of money to buy marquee players like you others do?

Sorry but it has to be one or the other.

same as with our stadium.  it started with us being screwed, a write off season because of the Wembley effect.  hey ho, and now, because its suite, its our advantage.  Please make your minds up.

Funny, but it really seemed to me that those Wolves players were really motivated and up for a first time trip to Wembley!!  i suppose that gave us an advantage too!!!