Unoffical Spurs Thread

Jonathan Fairfield

3 minutes ago, RonniePickering22 said:

Well I'm back all bronzed and relaxed from my trip to the Caribbean.

Belated Merry Xmas and well poor old Son missing his hat-trick eh? ????

Poor old us, he's off to the Asian games soon and we'll lose him for most of january

• Sad 1

Well 5-0 over Bournemouth , did not watch the game yet but this result tells you something, So many good players in this team and they all seem to understand each other on the pitch. Especially pleased with our defense , did not expect a clean sheet against Bournemouth.

Coming up Wolves at home and Cardiff away, we should get another 6 points.   

1 minute ago, balo said:

Well 5-0 over Bournemouth , did not watch the game yet but this result tells you something, So many good players in this team and they all seem to understand each other on the pitch. Especially pleased with our defense , did not expect a clean sheet against Bournemouth.

Coming up Wolves at home and Cardiff away, we should get another 6 points.   

Wolves won't be easy but Cardiff looked dreadful with no one up front and Colin seemingly unable to know what to do about it except gob off at the referee and slag off loan deals.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, RonniePickering22 said:

Wouldn't bet against us at the moment but those two sides will defend very deep to avoid the thrashings we're dishing out.

Got to admit I'm rather pleased right now!!

Statistic of the day.

Kyle Walker-Peters has 3 assists in 35 minutes.

Mezut Ozil has 1 assist all season.

And he's on 300k a week.????

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, carmine said:

Poor old us, he's off to the Asian games soon and we'll lose him for most of january

his last game will be against United at Wembley.  

Oh Ole,  you had better watch out for that unprotected space behind your wing backs or you'll get torn to shreds!!  Eriksen will expose the space and Sonny and Lucas Moura will rip through them.  Big test for Ole this will be, to see what he's tactically made of.

• Like 1

Interesting comments made by Pochettino saying how the media want it both ways.  Slated us for not buying players now chirping off on a very different note.  He could have included the usual suspects on here for that matter who don't seem interested anymore discussing our transfer policies.

it seems the manager knew the talent he already had, and some might remember his comments that he had two or three players identified but their price tag became unrealistic so he told Levy he would stick with what he's got.

Not the first time "know it all, jumped up above their station journalists" got it all wrong and now they are desperate not to have to include us in the title race because it makes them look even more stupid....as do a few on here for that matter.

Is our crisis over yet, btw?????

So were extending Toby's contract for a further year.  makes complete sense and allows Poch to develop Juan Foyth more.  

Still concerned about the left side, Vertonghen'd injuries and so on but Davies is doing a fine job, and surely benefits from Toby's experience.

I'm expecting a similar game to the last one tonight but any win will do.  I would however like us to tighten up and reduce the number of opportunities we allowed Bournemouth

3 minutes ago, carmine said:

So were extending Toby's contract for a further year.  makes complete sense and allows Poch to develop Juan Foyth more.  

Still concerned about the left side, Vertonghen'd injuries and so on but Davies is doing a fine job, and surely benefits from Toby's experience.

I'm expecting a similar game to the last one tonight but any win will do.  I would however like us to tighten up and reduce the number of opportunities we allowed Bournemouth

I'm confused by the Toby move. An extended contract, but can be bought in the January transfer window for $25m ? Seems to me there would be any number of clubs willing to part with $25m for his services. What am I missing ?

2 hours ago, jellydog said:

I'm confused by the Toby move. An extended contract, but can be bought in the January transfer window for $25m ? Seems to me there would be any number of clubs willing to part with $25m for his services. What am I missing ?

Probably missing nothing but it could  depend on the contracts wording its reported as a release  clause however it maybe just allows him to start talks   and line up a prospective move.. who knows? But yeah on the face of it a weird one . On the other side we tried gettin 50 for him and couldnt . And ??6ish or whatever  Months a year is a lot of breathing space  in football terms  .. loads could happen ..

3 hours ago, jellydog said:

The £25M release clause activates once the summer transfer window opens and not before.

It also states that during the final 2 weeks of that window

the clause can't be activated.

So anyone that wants Toby for £25M has to buy him in the summer but not in the final 2 weeks of the window.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, carmine said:

I'm still expecting Toby to be sold at the end of this season for 

the £25M clause coming in to effect otherwise he'll go the following year for free.

Another concern is whether Eriksen will also need to go this summer as his contract expires the following year as well.

If he doesn't sign a new contract from now ti'll the summer,

then his high value needs to be cashed in so we can buy a replacement or 3.

With Dembele also leaving and ?? about Wanyama we're prob

looking at needing at least 2-3 new players if not more.

1 hour ago, 3 minus 2 said:

Probably missing nothing but it could  depend on the contracts wording its reported as a release  clause however it maybe just allows him to start talks   and line up a prospective move.. who knows? But yeah on the face of it a weird one . On the other side we tried gettin 50 for him and couldnt . And ??6ish or whatever  Months a year is a lot of breathing space  in football terms  .. loads could happen ..

Anyone who has done their research would know ! Toby's contract runs out in the summer 2019  and Spurs have taken up the option of extending it for 1 year otherwise he would have been a free agent in the summer of 2019, the only downside is that Spurs have to release him if someone offers 25m or more in the 2019 Summer transfer window.

Edited by alfieconn

9 hours ago, alfieconn said:

Anyone who has done their research would know ! Toby's contract runs out in the summer 2019  and Spurs have taken up the option of extending it for 1 year otherwise he would have been a free agent in the summer of 2019, the only downside is that Spurs have to release him if someone offers 25m or more in the 2019 Summer transfer window.

do you realise alfie your turning into a troll?  the only time you come on here now is through anger to challenge someone or attack  their seeming lack of knowledge , 'years served' suggest  youve got an abundance of footie knowledge and  some useful insights, hearing them used constuctively as opposed to  using them for finding fault and picking holes in other  people and their  opinions  would be  pleasant  for all concerned

7 hours ago, 3 minus 2 said:

do you realise alfie your turning into a troll?  the only time you come on here now is through anger to challenge someone or attack  their seeming lack of knowledge , 'years served' suggest  youve got an abundance of footie knowledge and  some useful insights, hearing them used constuctively as opposed to  using them for finding fault and picking holes in other  people and their  opinions  would be  pleasant  for all concerned

Bit lost with this one as all he's stated is the fact of the matter.

Unless something has changed??

4 minutes ago, alfieconn said:

Strange that City lose Fernandinho and are in a state of collapse, Spurs lose Wanyama, Dembele and Dier and it's carry on as we are and the general consensus is that Spurs squad is not strong enough !!!

As i said yesterday, the usual suspects on here have been going on about it all season but have been strangely silent recently.  i think its exactly as Poch said it....if you can get any one of those three then great, otherwise were fine.  Lets not forget, because the media clearly have that we still are without Aurier, Wanyama, Amos, Dembele, Dier, Vertonghen and possibly Dele Alli, yet its not seeming to have much of an effect on us

We even managed to pull through that "crisis" when we lost a couple of games on the trot!!!  Where is R2D2, i miss his ridiculous observations!!

Edited by carmine
  • Like 1

On 12/28/2018 at 9:42 AM, jellydog said:

Youd best PM Alfie; apparently he knows everything, eh 3minus2 ????

5 hours ago, alfieconn said:

Strange that City lose Fernandinho and are in a state of collapse, Spurs lose Wanyama, Dembele and Dier and it's carry on as we are and the general consensus is that Spurs squad is not strong enough !!!

City are not in a state of collapse just because Fernandinho is out but it is one of the KEY factors.

With regards Fernandinho,

Pep courted one player and when he joined Chelsea then Pep gambled on going the whole season AGAIN with just one player who can play the Fernandinho role, Fernandinho, and just one LB, Mendy the glassman. Big gamble and it hasn't come off. 

With regards your Spurs anology it doesn't really work. We are weak in that position while you are strong IN THAT POSITION, indeed all clubs are strong in certain areas / many options (City: CBs, wide players, creative midfielders) but weak / few options in other areas (City: see first paragraph). 

Edited by Bredbury Blue

5 hours ago, carmine said:

As i said yesterday, the usual suspects on here have been going on about it all season but have been strangely silent recently.  i think its exactly as Poch said it....if you can get any one of those three then great, otherwise were fine.  Lets not forget, because the media clearly have that we still are without Aurier, Wanyama, Amos, Dembele, Dier, Vertonghen and possibly Dele Alli, yet its not seeming to have much of an effect on us

We even managed to pull through that "crisis" when we lost a couple of games on the trot!!!  Where is R2D2, i miss his ridiculous observations!!

Spurs are doing really well. Maybe I'll get to see you being english champions for the first time in my life. If we dont win it, i would  prefer you win it instead of those scousers but currently i think they'll  go on to win it if they continue to keep their A-players fit for the whole season - teams that play the same core 11 seem to do better than teams that chop n change through choice or injuries i reckon.

The comments early season regarding your lack of signings were based on (1) the surprise that you didnot seek to strengthen on what you had and (2) the believe that you don't have the funds available due to groundbuilding. I  also don't believe any of you Spurs fans were happy or agreed with the lack of signings at the time but hindsight is a marvellous thing. Maybe you will get through the second harder (worse weather, more competition / games) half of the season and the lack of signings won't be a factor, but maybe it will. 

1 hour ago, Bredbury Blue said:

City are not in a state of collapse just because Fernandinho is out but it is one of the KEY factors.

With regards Fernandinho,

Pep courted one player and when he joined Chelsea then Pep gambled on going the whole season AGAIN with just one player who can play the Fernandinho role, Fernandinho, and just one LB, Mendy the glassman. Big gamble and it hasn't come off. 

With regards your Spurs anology it doesn't really work. We are weak in that position while you are strong IN THAT POSITION, indeed all clubs are strong in certain areas / many options (City: CBs, wide players, creative midfielders) but weak / few options in other areas (City: see first paragraph). 

Well that's not according to the media and it seems strange that since he hasn't played in the last 2 games you've lost both of them to middle of the road teams and before that you'd only lost 1 in 17 games with him in the team and that being to a top 4 team when Fernandino was injured.

Anyway If you had read my post correctly the reason  i made the post was about people generally saying that Spurs squad is not strong enough and the reason i made the comment on this thread is because this is the Spurs thread, i really don't care about Citys predicament so why don't you keep your excuses about City to the City thread pleeeease !

Edited by alfieconn
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, alfieconn said:

(1) Well that's not according to the media and it seems strange that since he hasn't played in the last 2 games you've lost both of them to middle of the road teams and before that you'd only lost 1 in 17 games with him in the team and that being to a top 4 team when Fernandino was injured.

Anyway If you had read my post correctly the reason  i made the post was about people generally saying that Spurs squad is not strong enough and the reason i made the comment on this thread is because this is the Spurs thread, i really don't care about Citys predicament so why don't you keep your excuses about City to the City thread pleeeease !

(1) Have it your way Alfie, that City's current problems are ALL down to Fernandinho being either injured (Chelsea) or out (last 2 games), but that's a rather naive view and shows lack of knowledge of City.

(2) YOU raise comments about City, I respond and then you come back with you don't want to talk about it. Sums you up really.  

3 hours ago, Bredbury Blue said:

The comments early season regarding your lack of signings were based on (1) the surprise that you didnot seek to strengthen on what you had and (2) the believe that you don't have the funds available due to groundbuilding. I  also don't believe any of you Spurs fans were happy or agreed with the lack of signings at the time but hindsight is a marvellous thing. Maybe you will get through the second harder (worse weather, more competition / games) half of the season and the lack of signings won't be a factor, but maybe it will. 

I for one wasn't disappointed that we didn't sign anyone last summer because no first team squad player left the club.

I even said at the time "if it ain't broke then don't fix it"

If some players had left, and we hadn't brought replacements 

then that would have been a different matter, but that wasn't the case.

Also BB do you not understand the EPL rules that all teams can only have a maximum of 25 players in their squad ?

Which would have meant that if we did bring in new players,

then others would have had to leave.

Lucas Moura's addition had already meant that Janssen couldn't get in the 25.

So simply put, the squad is already at it's max so if we bring in 

any new players then others will need to leave.

16 minutes ago, sotsira said:

I for one wasn't disappointed that we didn't sign anyone last summer because no first team squad player left the club.

I even said at the time "if it ain't broke then don't fix it"

If some players had left, and we hadn't brought replacements 

then that would have been a different matter, but that wasn't the case.

Also BB do you not understand the EPL rules that all teams can only have a maximum of 25 players in their squad ?

Which would have meant that if we did bring in new players,

then others would have had to leave.

Lucas Moura's addition had already meant that Janssen couldn't get in the 25.

So simply put, the squad is already at it's max so if we bring in 

any new players then others will need to leave.

Hey, thanks for the heads up on the EPL rules.

If last summer YOU were happy with every one of your squad and would prefer that everyone one of them was retained for this season and that no individuals needed replacing then i'm very happy for you (i wouldn't believe it though - NO ONE is ever 100% happy with every player in your club's squad). 

21 minutes ago, Bredbury Blue said:

Hey, thanks for the heads up on the EPL rules.

If last summer YOU were happy with every one of your squad and would prefer that everyone one of them was retained for this season and that no individuals needed replacing then i'm very happy for you (i wouldn't believe it though - NO ONE is ever 100% happy with every player in your club's squad). 

It's a case of being careful of what you wish for, Spurs have finished in the top 3 in the last 3 seasons which shows how consistent the team has been.

Chopping and changing the team year on year could disrupt 

that consistency.

Their are also 2-3 senior players that will be leaving by the end of this season so changes will be inevitable, keeping them together for as long as possible makes sense to me.