Unoffical Spurs Thread

Jonathan Fairfield

52 minutes ago, 3 minus 2 said:

Jeez  we'll really need to dig deep if  were  gonna beat utd   on the energy levels shown in the second half  our tank is running really low NOT something that fills me with confidence going into a game against a resurgent and re energised utd ..

And that really is the only problem we have.  Energy levels and the ongoing injury crisis.

Half the side last night looked in dire need of a rest but how can they when we are playing three games every ten days.  It's ridiculous.  Now Lamela is back so Lucas Moura gets injured!!  Dembele's almost fit but he's off to China.  Regards our next fixture, at least we are getting four days off.

Don't hold too much into the resurgent United euphoria.  Who have they actually beaten.  Only teams they are expected to beat.  After us, they have PSG twice, Arsenal and i believe Liverpool.  Thats a bit different than beating relegation fodder, out of form Bournemouth and a lower league club.

2 hours ago, 3 minus 2 said:

Thoought we were lucky to win last night imo  the only reason they didnt win was they got jack shit up front put a decent striker their way and imo  they could/ would have walked it.. the second half we looked shockingly tired and tbh baring the arsenal 2 nd half last nigjt  has to go down as the worst performance i've seen certainly since poch arrived possibly longer.. still 1.0 at half time ALL to play for.

Crikey you cant have seen many games (did you see the Wolves game ), we was under the cosh for 75% of the game and didn't concede due to good defending and being organized, in years gone by we would have caved in, performances ain't just based on scoring goals and attacking football you know :1zgarz5:

Anyway i take your comment with a pinch of salt when you've seen Verts play 2 seasons at left back under Redknapp !

1 hour ago, alfieconn said:

Crikey you cant have seen many games (did you see the Wolves game ), we was under the cosh for 75% of the game and didn't concede due to good defending and being organized, in years gone by we would have caved in, performances ain't just based on scoring goals and attacking football you know :1zgarz5:

Anyway i take your comment with a pinch of salt when you've seen Verts play 2 seasons at left back under Redknapp !

Actually, i didn't really credit the defending enough.  Lets face it, the midfield looked fatigued, tired some worn out but the committed defending was extremely good with Toby setting the example as usual.

I have to say also that i now prefer Gazza in goal.  Just needs to tidy up a bit on his distribution but other than that he's the real deal.

5 hours ago, 3 minus 2 said:

Jeez  we'll really need to dig deep if  were  gonna beat utd   on the energy levels shown in the second half  our tank is running really low NOT something that fills me with confidence going into a game against a resurgent and re energised utd ..

They remain a defensive shambles 3-2....we'll give them the spanking they deserve.

5 hours ago, 3 minus 2 said:

Jeez ronnie wakey <deleted> wakey... if were gonna maintain and  consistently compete at our current level as poch says we need to change our way of doin business ie Pay more

Nothing wrong with my reading of it 3-2...of course if he wants £500k a week he is gonna be off.

1 hour ago, carmine said:

Actually, i didn't really credit the defending enough.  Lets face it, the midfield looked fatigued, tired some worn out but the committed defending was extremely good with Toby setting the example as usual.

I have to say also that i now prefer Gazza in goal.  Just needs to tidy up a bit on his distribution but other than that he's the real deal.

Lloris off in the summer for a decent price would make sense for us.

Yeah fair comment bout toby, put in a solid performance out of position and sanchez held well enuf with him  .. barring that i saw NOTHING in that teams performance that encouraged me.  this next game is HUGE for utd.. it could be argued that its their first real challenge since murry left and  theyre coning thu their own injury crisis they will be buzzin and up for it.. US going on  the frequency of our energy levels deopping significantly aka arsenal wolves now the chavs, imo its  frequency is  a SERIOUS worry.

15 hours ago, Kadilo said:

I agree. When I heard him speak it sounded a bit early Mourinho ish at United, dropping hints about lack of spending money almost  a very thinly veiled threat. 

Obviously he mixed it with a load of positive and nicely nicely stuff about wanting to stay another 20 years etc........didn’t Mourinho say some thing about wanting to spend the rest of his days at United too. 

Clearly this guy is a one off and worked miracles on a budget and what he has achieved as a result is clear to all. He must be ambitious and wanting to test himself as far as he can so every manager in his position must have a point where he wants to buy more players and see how far he can go.  

What hint did he drop as i must have missed it ?

Strange game last night, if Poch wanted the team to just defend the plan worked, because that's all we did , defend. 

We can always try to do the same in a couple of weeks , to get through to the final but I can't see that working.  We need to score. 

21 minutes ago, balo said:

Strange game last night, if Poch wanted the team to just defend the plan worked, because that's all we did , defend. 

We can always try to do the same in a couple of weeks , to get through to the final but I can't see that working.  We need to score. 

We play much better away from Wembley.  Sadly we won't have Son but if Lucas Moura is back we have the ingredients with Dele Eriksen and Kane to put two or three past them when they over commit.  

Our big problem is we look knackered.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, carmine said:

The club have just confirmed all are "home" games will be played at Wembley till at least february 13th which would include our CL game against Dortmund.  What a mess!!

According to the BBC, Levy is saying it will be March at the earliest, but prob later, as 2 test events still need to be arranged.

At this rate it'll mean only playing our last 5 or 6 home games there, so you have to question whether it's worth it or just wait until the start of next season.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/46807185

5 hours ago, carmine said:

We play much better away from Wembley.  Sadly we won't have Son but if Lucas Moura is back we have the ingredients with Dele Eriksen and Kane to put two or three past them when they over commit.  

Our big problem is we look knackered.  

Granted that our away record is better, I thought we played like the away team last night, we sat back gave them possession and tried to catch them on the break.

Can't see us doing anything different in the away leg as well.

Although it's gonna be very difficult and tight.

We'll certainly need fresh legs especially in midfield, hopefully

Dier, Lucas, & Verts will be fit for selection, not sure about Wanyama, & Dembele may not even be at the club by then.

Have to say though, Sissoko with all the games he's played he looked the fittest player in the team last night. The guy just never stopped running!

30 minutes ago, mrbojangles said:

Because it'll be like having home advantage. They know how the pitch plays better than anyone else does. That's why finals are played at neutral grounds. Thought it would be obvious.

You said the advantage would be with the other finalist, i.e. City or Burton. 

They should maybe play the final at Cardiff; in my view.; if Spurs get to the final.

2 hours ago, champers said:

You said the advantage would be with the other finalist, i.e. City or Burton. 

They should maybe play the final at Cardiff; in my view.; if Spurs get to the final.

Yeah. Reading what I wrote I can see the confusion. I meant the advantage would be to Spurs obviously ????

I would  expect  all but the Spurs fans can see that Spurs will have an unfair advantage if they make the final at Wembley. It would also be fair to say that when the caraboa  cup competition commenced this season, the football  authorities would  not have known or even considered the possibility that a club would be using Wembley  for their home games from the beginning  of the season up to the final.

11 hours ago, Bredbury Blue said:

See what's his face at Cardiff reckons Spurs should now be made to play out the season at Wembley.

Guardian - "More recently, the Cardiff manager, Neil Warnock, argued Tottenham ought to remain at Wembley for the remainder of the season, as to move now would offer a competitive advantage to the relegation-threatened clubs that still had to play them away.

Warnock’s theory was that when Spurs did move, it would take them time to settle and visiting teams would benefit. Mauricio Pochettino countered that by saying his team would be boosted immediately when they moved but, in which case, the relegation-threatened teams that still had to visit them would surely be disadvantaged. That said, Spurs have beaten every team they have already played from the bottom half of the table at Wembley." - it's a fair point!