Relocating to the Pattaya area

watgate

I will be relocating to the Pattaya area and am trying to get as much info as possible before my departure. I will coming with my thai g/f and she also knows very little about Pattaya and the surrounding area.  I don't much about the area. I know there is Jomtien and chonburi but have no idea where they are in proximity to each other. Ideally I would like to find a reasonably priced place away from the madness of Pattaya. I also need to find a hospital or a clinic where I can go for periodic testing of my blood to check my warfarin (INR) levels. I currently have a very convenient and very reasonably priced place in Chiang Mai and hope to find something  similar,not too far from where I will be residing, in the Pattaya area. Any suggestions for places to look at or areas to check out would be most appreciated. If someone could give a brief description of the layout of the Pattaya area and which areas are considered desireable versus not so desireable would also be appreciated. My g/f and myself are not big party goers and just would like to have some relatively fresh air and an opportunity to start to explore some of the southern part of Thailand and its coastline and beaches, as well as some of the islands. We would also like to go to Bangkok and see some of the City over time. Any info or advice would be most appreciated as we make plans to eventually move. Thank you.

I would suggest the Naklua/Wong Amat area, which is in the northern section of Pattaya.  Parts of Wong Amat are quieter and more family oriented than some other areas of Pattaya and you are closer to several hospitals than you would be in the Jomtien (southern) area.

• Like 1

When I first read your post I thought it was April the 1st. But it seems that you are serious.

May I suggest you go visit for two or three weeks try several places to see what it's like. That's if you can last that long.

I have just had the "pleasure" of staying in Pattaya. Arrived on a Monday late afternoon, left first thing Thursday morning. Arrived with a very clean white car left with a grey one due to the smog & dust that abounds.

There are some things that are very good. General shopping for food & western things, choice's of restaurants. Hospitals abound most fine. All at a price though. But all are overridden by the Diesel Fumes as well as other general filth. During the week it's traffic jams everywhere. On the weekends it's just a car park with nothing moving at all.

Right where to stay Suggest you go to New native's post above, and look what he has put. Mind you North Pattaya is also a car park most day's and nights. With south Pattaya not much better. If you are hell bent on staying there Bang Saen As others have suggested. Much quieter and a lot cleaner beach wise their just about sufferable Pattaya beaches are a NO NO. Almost dead compared to Pattaya city. Also cheaper accommodation could suite you. It is a bit of a distant from the main Hospitals though. Still relatively easy to get to them.

I used to live in Pattaya lasted around 8 years, left some 12/3 years ago. At first I thought it was great the best thing since sliced bread, in the end It drove me out. Had food poisoning every few weeks as well as chest complaints. Now moved well away and never had a problem since. 

If you do decide to live there best of luck, it does suite many that's if you don't mind knocking several years off your life. 

Edited by fredob43
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

The Chonburi area covers most of the north side of Pattaya , Chonbury town is miles away , not part of Pattaya , to the North the area From say the main police station to the highway seven off sukhumvit is great for estates , and only about 5km from the heart of Pattaya ,but you need some form of transport .

I agree with Spidey, if you want the "Quiet Life" in Pattaya then the darkside or as i like to call it "The Burbs" is the place to live, plenty of restaurants and shopping to be had out here, Soi Khao Talo and Soi Khao Noi (Soi Boonsampan) are probably the pick (plenty of gated estates / villages in both and make it easiest to get into town and for ease of local shopping, Khao Noi has a Tops supermarket.

Edited by Pungdo

East Pattaya (the Darkside) is the place for you. When I first moved to Pattaya, I rented a 2 bedroomed house there, small drive and garden, wetroom, decent lounge, Thai kitchen and 10 minutes on a bike to Central Pattaya. 6500 baht.

You can discount the negatives in Fredob43's post. No smog/diesel fumes here, traffic since the completion of the Sukhumvit underpass nowhere near as bad as he suggests.

As others have suggested, book in to a hotel for a couple of weeks and hire a bike. Take a good look round.

Try Dao Café on the darkside for a room. Has rooms round the pool and a good restaurant, run by Belgians and cheap. Would make a good base for your search.
The problem is you need to have a bike To get around and if you like a drink that becomes problematic

I think one of the biggest draws to Pattaya is the baht bus system, incredibly convenient

OP should look at jomtien but only near the baht bus route

As to the MEDICAL part:

I am registered at the SUTTAHIP NAVY HOSPITAL →45 minutes ← South of Pattaya because the majority of Navy doctors are American trained, ( speak ENGLISH)

They accept foreigners, take your passport. Some services are free, other services are at a good discount from other hospitals.

Also inquire which hospital →IN PATTAYA ← honors the ID card the Navy Hospital issues to you

Lots of options but you really do have to check things out. Both Jomtien and The Dark Side are quiet. I stay in Jomtien. I really enjoy the lagoon pool in the condo complex. Quiet and peaceful. The clinic previously mentioned is 5 minutes away by scooter so easily accessible.  

If you don't mind a little drive to Pattaya / Jomtien (perhaps 30 minutes?) Bang Saray could be a very nice place to live imo. Some photos of the area can be seen here: https://goo.gl/photos/VQsGZ6CTtoLNS3vaA

Nice and quiet, yet not too far to Pattaya by car.

Edited by wolf81
  • Like 1

madmen

•  
  • madmen
  • Members
  • 310 posts

Are you actually saying you have never been to Pattaya?

I was in Pattaya 44 years ago when I took an R/R to Thailand while being stationed in Okinawa. I loved Pattaya but based on pictures I have seen of it now, it is a far cry from what I saw and experienced 44 years ago.
  • Confused 1

I am glad Spidey said to discount Fredob43 about the smog because that is the main reason we are leaving chiang mai. The air has started to bother me their with the great increase in traffic and all the songtaews and tuktuks spewing exhaust. Chiang Mai is in a bowl and the mountains have a tendency to keep the foul air lingering. Also, the burning season is approaching and the air will be horrid for several months with all the out of control burning being done by the farmers throughout the north.

As for my initial posting, yes I have to admit it was a lot to ask and am appreciative of all the information I have received so far. I really am flying blind about Pattaya and the surrounding areas and other then  the one visit I had 44 years ago while on R/R I have never been back to Pattaya since.

Thanks again for all the information and hopefully I can make an informed decision as to where best to reside with my g/f. We also most likely will rent somewhere and start to look around if we can't decide on a place beforehand but all the info I have received will definitely make it easier.

• Like 1

Discount smog and pollution??? Gotta a be kidding. Been living here 22 years in Central Pattaya. Non smoker. 4 years ago had major lung surgery in Europe. Half lung removed incl. many lymph-nodes. 2 days after surgery the pathologist came to see me. His first question... Where have you been living the last 10 years? Your lungs and lymph-nodes look like the ones working in coal mines or similar professions. He was dead serious. Ever since I wear a mask on my bike, strictly. 

I attach a picture taken right now of my air inlet for my forced air control system of my home. This filter was white 3 days ago when I changed it, it is already black with sticky and gluey carbon residue. I live away from road in a large garden....Go have a look at cars parked or boats moored and unattended for a few days... Horrific... 

This is just one of the negatives here. Newcomers might still be impressed by this.. ... hole of town....More and more oldtimers are leaving and visitors staying away... Ask business people... I exclude ???????? and ????????. There are certainly better options, even here in ????????. But much better in far away countries. Do your homework and don't commit or invest til you are convinced. Good luck. MS>

Edited by moonseeker
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, moonseeker said:

Discount smog and pollution??? Gotta a be kidding. Been living here 22 years in Central Pattaya. Non smoker. 4 years ago had major lung surgery in Europe. Half lung removed incl. many lymph-nodes. 2 days after surgery the pathologist came to see me. His first question... Where have you been living the last 10 years? Your lungs and lymph-nodes look like the ones working in coal mines or similar professions. He was dead serious. Ever since I wear a mask on my bike, strictly. 

I attach a picture taken right now of my air inlet for my forced air control system of my home. This filter was white 3 days ago when I changed it, it is already black with sticky and gluey carbon residue. I live away from road in a large garden....Go have a look at cars parked or boats moored and unattended for a few days... Horrific... 

This is just one of the negatives here. Newcomers might still be impressed by this.. ... hole of town....More and more oldtimers are leaving and visitors staying away... Ask business people... I exclude ???????? and ????????. There are certainly better options, even here in ????????. But much better in far away countries. Do your homework and don't commit or invest til you are convinced. Good luck. MS>

http://aqicn.org/city/thailand/chonburi/laem-chabang-municipal-stadium/

11 hours ago, bert bloggs said:

The Chonburi area covers most of the north side of Pattaya , Chonbury town is miles away , not part of Pattaya , to the North the area From say the main police station to the highway seven off sukhumvit is great for estates , and only about 5km from the heart of Pattaya ,but you need some form of transport .

As far as Sattahip

prov.JPG.db9f6f067967c023e1df68d12de16077.JPG

On 12/14/2018 at 9:01 PM, NCC1701A said:

Sounds like you want to live in Hua Hin, not Pattaya. 

I'm inclined to agree.

The OP mentions exploring southern Thailand, and Pattaya is not hugely practical for that as to go to the south you have to first drive through Bangkok and then drive past Hua Hin. If you start from Hua Hin you are already half-way to the south and you dont have to cross Bangkok.

However Pattaya is good for getting to Bangkok, BKK airport, the eastern coast and the north, which is one reason why I live here. But exploring the eastern coast doesnt take very long at all.

Also Hua Hin is definitely much more sedate and quiet and cleaner and upmarket than Pattaya is, and it has some very pleasant quiet beaches just an hour's drive away or less. Those aspects seem to be important to the OP.

• Like 2

This is just one of the negatives here. Newcomers might still be impressed by this.. ... hole of town....More and more oldtimers are leaving and visitors staying away... Ask business people... I exclude [emoji1071] and [emoji1128]. There are certainly better options, even here in [emoji1242]. But much better in far away countries. Do your homework and don't commit or invest til you are convinced. Good luck. MS>
You must have been sick with lung problems already before living in Pattaya

Now I am really confused and concerned. You have a poster, moonseeker stating that the air is horrendous in the Pattaya area and he underwent major lung surgery. It sounds like leaving Chiang Mai for Pattaya is like going from the frying pan into the fire. Are their any places in Thailand where the air is decent and you won't ruin your lungs?  

11 minutes ago, watgate said:

Now I am really confused and concerned. You have a poster, moonseeker stating that the air is horrendous in the Pattaya area and he underwent major lung surgery. It sounds like leaving Chiang Mai for Pattaya is like going from the frying pan into the fire. Are their any places in Thailand where the air is decent and you won't ruin your lungs?  

A few posters have suggested Hua Hin. I have only been there once for a week but it seems to live up to what these posters are saying. I quite liked Hua Hin. And as far as exploring the south, Hua Hin is nicely positioned for that. I travelled from Krabi area where my gf was living to Hua Hin.

I must say. You have been on TVF since 2012 but not all that active I see. Had you followed it more closely, you would have found all the answers you are now seeking. TVF is a wealth of information despite the constant contradictions between one poster and another.

22 minutes ago, watgate said:

There is no comparison between the air quality in Pattaya and the smog you get in Chiang Mai during burning season. I like CM but would never even consider going there when the fires are lit, and I could never live there permanently much as I enjoy the surrounding hills and scenery.

As long as you avoid living right on a busy road, Pattaya air should be clean enough all year. Living right by the sea in Jomtien (Jomtien beach is several km long) or a little further south (Na Jomtien, Bang Saray) might be a good idea also, if it really concerns you.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, moonseeker said:

2 days after surgery the pathologist came to see me. His first question... Where have you been living the last 10 years? Your lungs and lymph-nodes look like the ones working in coal mines or similar professions. He was dead serious. Ever since I wear a mask on my bike, strictly. 

I would have thought that riding a bike on Pattaya roads could be a major source of pollution intake, as you are right next to the exhaust fumes from all vehicles. I would not do this. Pedal bicycles would be particularly dangerous as the effort of pedalling causes you to breathe deeply. I would not do this either, except perhaps way out of town.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, watgate said:

You should have a good look at Bang Saen. A lot quieter than Pattaya and a much better beach area, that is one of the downsides as it can get quite busy at holiday times. There is everything there that you would want and it has a baht bus system much the same as Pattaya so very easy to get about.

It is on the bus route so easy to get to Pattaya, about 40 mins, and Bangkok about hour and a half. Chonburi is only about half hour away on a baht bus, depending where you go, all the major supermarkets are easy to get to.

Bang Saen has the university hospital right in the middle of the town and that is about as good as you get at government prices and quite efficient. I live on the outskirts of Chonburi and use that hospital. The doctor there said I should go on anti coagulant but recommended Apixaban rather than Warfarin, a bit more expensive but you do not need to get your blood checked.

Air wise, you cannot compare CM and the eastern seaboard, the air is always moving one way or another on the coast. I have been coming here 20 years and lived here for over 10 and yet to see any smog. You sometimes get some slow moving low cloud but that will be accompanied by drizzle.

Good luck in finding something that suits.

• Like 1

Thank you to all the posters who have given me some great and valuable info. I am very encouraged by the feedback and now feel confident that, if I do my due diligence, I will eventually find a place to my liking with relatively decent air and near enough to medical and shopping facilities.

On 12/15/2018 at 3:11 PM, madmen said:

The problem is you need to have a bike To get around and if you like a drink that becomes problematic

I think one of the biggest draws to Pattaya is the baht bus system, incredibly convenient

OP should look at jomtien but only near the baht bus route

but only near the baht bus route   I live in JomTien and the only real consistent baht bus route is on Sukhumvit and Beach Road.......I wish there were more as the Motocy mafia is alive and well charging as much as 50 baht to go from beach rode soi 11 to Soi Wat boon, a ride of about five-seven minutes.

I live in JomTien in a beautiful condo with six swimming pools, and know people renting for 10-12,000 baht a month.

As for the poster, I would definately look at JomTien Soi 18 and beyond, it's being developed down that way. 

If I had it to do over again, I'd have bought a house in one of the developments on the 'Darkside'  nicknamed for when people first started building there in early eighties - there were no streetlights and electricity only 5 days a week.

Bang Sarae is being developed, but way overpriced in my opinion, it used to be a 'thai only' vacation area, Sira Cha same same, once you've seen one tiger, you have seen them all.

Peace