Fridge trouble

madmen

Temperature control not working but fridge is cold (to cold) and there is a plastic grill just below the freezer that's spews a lot water

Is this easily fixed? It's about 10 years old so not sure if sinking more money into it is a good idea

Any help would be appreciated

• Sad 1

Sounds like the thermostat is faulty. The water coming from the rear of fridge is a result of the compartment being too cold.

The ice that forms on that panel you mention normally runs off and evaporates when the fridge does a defrost routine. But with the fridge being too cold, too much ice forms there so it overflows into the fridge.

Replacing the thermostat should fix the problem. If you can get one. Big if!

Sounds like the thermostat is faulty. The water coming from the rear of fridge is a result of the compartment being too cold.

The ice that forms on that panel you mention normally runs off and evaporates when the fridge does a defrost routine. But with the fridge being too cold, too much ice forms there so it overflows into the fridge.

Replacing the thermostat should fix the problem. If you can get one. Big if!
There is a service number on the side of the Mitsubishi fridge that I've used over the years on occasion and they had parts

It's a 1k call out fee includes Labour so I guess it's probably worth it as it still looks good in and out

the vertical plastic drain pipe for that water ledge, can open block up, therefore no melted ice ever makes it down to the evaporator

it at first glance makes things appear that too much melting is overtaking things, but it is that blockage problem

I use a 60cm+ length panduit strap to run thru the pipe to clear it image.jpeg.391e204e67ab36c218612c8e9882d1ef.jpeg so ong as it a long enough one to reach all the way, otherwise you also have to do it all in reverse - upwards from below; to get beyond the halfway point on the pipe

1 minute ago, madmen said:

There is a service number on the side of the Mitsubishi fridge that I've used over the years on occasion and they had parts

It's a 1k call out fee includes Labour so I guess it's probably worth it as it still looks good in and out

That's probably worth it. Fridges can run for many years with a bit of maintenance now and then.

Good luck.

the vertical plastic drain pipe for that water ledge, can open block up, therefore no melted ice ever makes it down to the evaporator

it at first glance makes things appear that too much melting is overtaking things, but it is that blockage problem

I use a 60cm+ length panduit strap to run thru the pipe to clear it image.jpeg.391e204e67ab36c218612c8e9882d1ef.jpeg&key=2186c8960b26057d73fb3e2402b75823e02e8d81b681510b154fd44c2bad6c86 so ong as it a long enough one to reach all the way, otherwise you also have to do it all in reverse - upwards from below; to get beyond the halfway point on the pipe

I've looked for that pipe when I had a similar problem years ago but could not find it anywhere

Where is it likely to be located?

But I still have the thermostat problem so going to need technicians

4 minutes ago, tifino said:

I use a 60cm+ length panduit strap to run thru the pipe to clear it image.jpeg.391e204e67ab36c218612c8e9882d1ef.jpeg so ong as it a long enough one to reach all the way, otherwise you also have to do it all in reverse - upwards from below; to get beyond the halfway point on the pipe

This can be a problem occasionally, but it doesn't explain the 'too cold' symptom.

can also try using a 24 hour settable 240V timer, that shuts the fridge down for one or two times each day, to encourage some extra defrosting periods

I did same for a household deep freezer chest, that refused to cycle off, and easily maintained -27 deg C if had been left to itself

can also try using a 24 hour settable 240V timer, that shuts the fridge down for one or two times each day, to encourage some extra defrosting periods
I did same for a household deep freezer chest, that refused to cycle off, and easily maintained -27 deg C if had been left to itself
Now that's not a bad idea.

Before you spend any money on repairs.

Have you emptied and switched off the fridge for 

a complete defrost and then restart?

Usually takes about 12 hours, with water leaking to

the floor from the defrosting, but worth a try.

Sometimes this rectifies temperature control

problems.

Before you spend any money on repairs.

Have you emptied and switched off the fridge for 
a complete defrost and then restart?
Usually takes about 12 hours, with water leaking to
the floor from the defrosting, but worth a try.

Sometimes this rectifies temperature control
problems.
Yes I have. It goes good for a few weeks then back to mini flood

Hi. Just a remark about "old" fridge (even if 10y is not that old for a fridge).

I changed this year the old 20yo fridge (it was in my condo when I bought 10y ago). It was too big for my need and was beginning to be sometime noisy.

I found that the new one, smaller and of course more modern, has a consumption of about 1kWh/day (1 Unit) while the old one, with a tired engine and worn seals, used nearly 3 kWh/day. :dry:

That may look a small difference, but 2 units make about 250 B/month, 3'000 B/year... to be compared to the price of the new fridge: 5'600B... :cool:

I don't mean that you must not repair it, but it can be worth to think about changing it.

29 minutes ago, Pattaya46 said:

Hi. Just a remark about "old" fridge (even if 10y is not that old for a fridge).

I changed this year the old 20yo fridge (it was in my condo when I bought 10y ago). It was too big for my need and was beginning to be sometime noisy.

I found that the new one, smaller and of course more modern, has a consumption of about 1kWh/day (1 Unit) while the old one, with a tired engine and worn seals, used nearly 3 kWh/day. :dry:

That may look a small difference, but 2 units make about 250 B/month, 3'000 B/year... to be compared to the price of the new fridge: 5'600B... :cool:

I don't mean that you must not repair it, but it can be worth to think about changing it.

!0 years is good if you have Kids. Hinges go first from being openes 10 times an hour.!

• Like 1