Anyone Entered airport on a new passport?

Well, my old UK passport is full of airport entries and visa exemption stamps, I believe 6 in last 2 years 2+ 4 border and 2-3 tourist visas with extensions ... i could not use it at the airport anymore and it was full, my last entry was airport and was real trouble to get in, so I got my new passport last week and transferred the stamp at immigration (mistake) thinking I could do a land border run on my new passport but they say I can't as it's linked ...

If I do an airport run on this fresh passport with just the last stamp transfered will I get same trouble? I know I can go to Laos and get a tourist but I don't really have the time for it, i have something important to do this week and airport run <24hour trip would be ideal....

Unless I'm missing something you haven't stated where you are NOW. 

If you can enter via border why not try for visa exempt. Ubon will be along with definitive advise. As I understand it, your history is available at airport bkk, but not at border crossings.

19 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Unless I'm missing something you haven't stated where you are NOW. 

If you can enter via border why not try for visa exempt. Ubon will be along with definitive advise. As I understand it, your history is available at airport bkk, but not at border crossings.

I'm in TH and I transferred the visa exception stamp to new passport at Chaeng Wattana last week and got an earful about my visa exemptions ...

I thought this about land, 2 max per year and all the border run agents are telling me it's a no go with new passport (my original plan).

If you have done 2 visa exempt entries at a land border crossing this year you will not be able to do another one with your new passport. Your history in immigrations database will link your passports the first time it is used for entry.

It is hard predict whether you will have a problem entering the country by air to get a another visa exempt entry. Best to have at least 10k baht in cash to show and a ticket out of the country within 30 days.

I come in and out of Thailand every month as I work monthly rotation. Came in with tourist visa on arrival 30 day stamp for years. Started getting asked at BKK why I’m coming so often but never a problem and was always let in without incident. Changed to renew passport at embassy in Bangkok transferred current stamp and left Thailand. Upon re entry with new passport, never a question again at entry in bkk airport. Dunno if because of new PP or just stopped asking ????

I’ve never been asked to show 10 or 20 k baht or departure itinerary by immigration. Been doing it for 8 years every 28 days in 28 days out 

Edited by iroc4life
  • Thanks 1

The ignorance of some people, too many really.

They have all these stamps in their passports and they think getting a new passport will make it all go away. Sure yes, start out fresh they will know nothing.

Ever see them look at their computer screen/database when you enter??

As opposed to what some think they are not playing Super Mario.....

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, StayinThailand2much said:

Not sure about UK passports, but old passports usually get voided when getting new ones, so if you're in this part of the world, no way to leave on the old and enter on the new passport.

Absolutely correct!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, StayinThailand2much said:

Not sure about UK passports, but old passports usually get voided when getting new ones, so if you're in this part of the world, no way to leave on the old and enter on the new passport.

You are right.  What I meant was he applied for that new passport outside Thailand.  I overlooked that he implied he got his new passport in Thailand.

My passport was full with  stamps squeezed inbetween others,ii went to kl to renew it & got it in 9 days,flew out of kl international & the woman at pp control didn't know what to do as no entrance stamp so showed my old 1 with a corner cut out,she was still puzzled saying 2 pp's same,she gets her boss & he didn't know what to do,after about 30 mins & a few calls she stamped it but wrote on it in english new passport entry stamp in old......then i get to don muang & hardly any people there,they did have about 12 booths for chinese & 4 for foreign,i recognised a miserable bitch there who had a go at me before,her line was empty & called me over,i tried stalling but had to go,she sees my new passport with visa from kl & the 1 stamp,she was more puzzled than them at kl,she looked my passport on the computer(it dont matter if you change your passport as its all stored on computer,i knew that & thai embassy kl pointed it out as i gave my new & old passport as my letter of residence had old number,girl gives me old passport saying computer knows) anyway miserable bint asks why i live in thailand,i said i don't i just spend a lot of time there,over the years i've had 16 × 6 month visas,3 × 12 month & 5 setv,thats not including other countrys visas & business visas,asking all sorts of questions & pissing me off,she then asked for an onward flight ticket,she asked to see it & i told her it was an eticket & i got no wifi,then i pointed to my passport & said to her non condescending as she was to me but told her in a way to make her look stupid (it did)in front of her underling in the chair next to her that i wouldn't of got the visa without it,she realised i made her look stupid & you could see in her face &  reaction,i was waiting for the "you have B20000" but she didn't as also with visa you need a proof of money but somebody posted on here kl don't ask,anyway i'm glad she didn't as i not have it & she may then refuse me

10 hours ago, StayinThailand2much said:

Something not right in this statement.

Your passport is near to expiry or nearly full and you get it renewed outside Thailand.

So you left on the old passport and come back in on the new.

Its no problem. Done it three times. surely I am not the only one?

f you want a new UK passport very urgently you will have to go back to the UK in person to get it now and it will be like that.

I think i may get a much bigger problem when i come back in or leave some time to/from the middle east on my clean second passport, when they already have my other passport on file. Both Valid because i have Israeli stamps  in the first one, and will have to use the other for travel to/from Dubai / Qatar,

Obviously I try to avoid this if possible. 

I gave the OP a headache coming in last week. I had a retirement extension valid until 31 December 2018,

But i got a new tourist visa outside 60 day (extendable to 90 day). Reason, I don't need to renew the retirement visa, I expect to be transferring to a Non-B for business / work permit within a month or two.

I put my new visa number on the entry TM6.

Superiors had to be called and it took a while to get this figured out.

I explained to them I need to stay 2 months. Why would I want to have to leave again in 18 days or need to renew the retirement extension. I just want to use the new visa.

We got it resolved when the chief agreed that i could write over the existing extension in my passport that i did not want to use it and sign.:clap2:

• 2 weeks later...

I have 2 Valid passports for the UK, my reason is that i use one for work visa applications, while using the other for travel. 

I have to leave in January to get a new Thai stamp and will fly out on the (Older with loads of stamps) passport i came in to Thailand on, but use the second (newer with no stamps) when coming back in next day.

Hopefully there won't be any issues, but theres always the possibility that i will be flagged and questioned by the customs official. 

8 minutes ago, McGregor21 said:

I have to leave in January to get a new Thai stamp and will fly out on the (Older with loads of stamps) passport i came in to Thailand on, but use the second (newer with no stamps) when coming back in next day.

Hopefully there won't be any issues, but theres always the possibility that i will be flagged and questioned by the customs official. 

The will link your passports when enter the country so that they can see your history using the other passport. 

Unless you have many visa visa exempt entries you should not have a problem.

You should be prepared to show the equivalent of  at least 10k baht in cash and a ticket out of the country within 30 days of arrival if you have done several visa exempt entries.

On 12/18/2018 at 9:43 PM, jojothai said:

Something not right in this statement.

Your passport is near to expiry or nearly full and you get it renewed outside Thailand.

So you left on the old passport and come back in on the new.

Its no problem. Done it three times. surely I am not the only one?

I think the issue was that the old passport number was already linked to the airline reservation for the return journey to Thailand. Depending on the airline, it can be difficult to change this. With the introduction of the Advance Passenger Information System, immigration is unhappy about passengers arriving who do not match the passenger list in their system.

If you book the return journey using the passport number from the new passport, there should be no problem.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, BritTim said:

If you book the return journey using the passport number from the new passport, there should be no problem.

Yes, well pointed out.

This is likely the most important thing to note.

However if you were going back to uk to get a new passport, you will not know the number until you get it.

So, booking a return ticket could be an issue, since you normally use one id for the whole return ticket.

Not sure how this would work with some airlines. Could they refuse to fly you?

When i did my passport changes i had single tickets on budget airlines in asia, so i was ok.

Has anybody done a return for a new passport, faced this issue and tried to change the passport number in the booking to avoid the problem stated by crazyk?

9 hours ago, jojothai said:

Yes, well pointed out.

This is likely the most important thing to note.

However if you were going back to uk to get a new passport, you will not know the number until you get it.

So, booking a return ticket could be an issue, since you normally use one id for the whole return ticket.

Not sure how this would work with some airlines. Could they refuse to fly you?

When i did my passport changes i had single tickets on budget airlines in asia, so i was ok.

Has anybody done a return for a new passport, faced this issue and tried to change the passport number in the booking to avoid the problem stated by crazyk? 

Check in advance - and if the airline will not change the passport number in bookings, book the return to Kuala Lumpur, then book a flight from there to Thailand using the new passport number, when you get it.