Former Trump adviser Flynn to be sentenced for lying to FBI

webfact

27 minutes ago, Srinivas said:

Hear is a name hardly mentioned in our amazing "news" media.

Joe Pientka

the other fbi agent present at the flynn interview of Jan 24 with Peter Strozck

https://saraacarter.com/why-is-the-fbi-muzzling-the-only-person-with-credibility-left-in-the-flynn-investigation-fbi-ssa-joe-pientka-iii/

Doubtless another John Huber in the offing.

Look - if Flynn lied during an interview & no other crime was discovered - then that's basically the investigation creating a crime, right?

I don't get how people are happy about that on either side. Left or right.

The FBI have basically picked someone up - who had committed no crime & the only crime they could pin on him was created after the arrest in his interview with them.

Talk about a slippery slope.

They did not investigate a crime and find him guilty. He did nothing wrong outside the interviews. Sure - he was dumb to lie - but isn't Mueller supposed to be investigating crimes committed PRIOR to the investigation? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, pedro01 said:

Look - if Flynn lied during an interview & no other crime was discovered - then that's basically the investigation creating a crime, right?

The FBI have basically picked someone up - who had committed no crime & the only crime they could pin on him was created after the arrest in his interview with them.

They did not investigate a crime and find him guilty. He did nothing wrong outside the interviews. Sure - he was dumb to lie - but isn't Mueller supposed to be investigating crimes committed PRIOR to the investigation? 

standard operating procedure .

Here is a letter submitted to this judge by Former FBI Supervisory Special Agent Robyn Gritz

https://saraacarter.com/former-fbi-sac-robyn-gritzs-letter-to-judge-sullivan-in-support-of-flynn/

• Like 1

1 minute ago, pedro01 said:

Just because they only charged him with one crime, that doesn't mean there weren't other things he could have been charged with.  He spent an awful lot of hours talking to Mueller's people. And they are recommending no jail time for him. You think they do that for someone who had nothing criminal to conceal?

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, bristolboy said:

Just because they only charged him with one crime, that doesn't mean there weren't other things he could have been charged with.  He spent an awful lot of hours talking to Mueller's people. And they are recommending no jail time for him. You think they do that for someone who had nothing criminal to conceal?

Wow. That is some assumption. Is that what it takes for you to sleep at night?

They charged him with a crime to hide another crime he'd committed? Okaaaaaaaaay.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, bristolboy said:

I think theyd do that when they want to look generous and hope he'd quietly go away. No hard feelings , lets forget about all this trapping business.

6 minutes ago, Srinivas said:

standard operating procedure .

Here is a letter submitted to this judge by Former FBI Supervisory Special Agent Robyn Gritz

https://saraacarter.com/former-fbi-sac-robyn-gritzs-letter-to-judge-sullivan-in-support-of-flynn/

She devotes quite a bit of her letter to how she was unjustly treated. Not the best way to convince a judge of her own integrity.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Srinivas said:

I think theyd do that when they want to look generous and hope he'd quietly go away. No hard feelings , lets forget about all this trapping business.

There is one flaw in that train of thought.

If the FBI swept a crime under the carpet 'unofficially' - then Flynn could be arrested for it by ANY law enforcement agency tomorrow.

Any plea bargain would request to have the maximum number of crimes to be taken into account so that the offender is protected by the double-jeopardy rules.

So the idea he's committed a bunch of other crimes, is clearly nonsense or Flynn himself would be asking for them to be taken into account.

2 minutes ago, pedro01 said:

There is one flaw in that train of thought.

If the FBI swept a crime under the carpet 'unofficially' - then Flynn could be arrested for it by ANY law enforcement agency tomorrow.

Any plea bargain would request to have the maximum number of crimes to be taken into account so that the offender is protected by the double-jeopardy rules.

So the idea he's committed a bunch of other crimes, is clearly nonsense or Flynn himself would be asking for them to be taken into account.

I think maybe my post here is misunderstood. 

I was implying that Mueller sees trouble with the wayFlynn case was put together so he recomends no jail time to get it behind him.

Just now, Srinivas said:

I think maybe my post here is misunderstood. 

I was implying that Mueller sees trouble with the wayFlynn case was put together so he recomends no jail time to get it behind him.

That would hold  absolutely no sway over a a judge if she or he thinks there was something disqualifying about the way the prosecution conducted a case.

3 minutes ago, bristolboy said:

That would hold  absolutely no sway over a a judge if she or he thinks there was something disqualifying about the way the prosecution conducted a case.

agree.

I think flynn might get jail time.

from what im hearing , the judge seems angry at flynn

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nyezhov said:

Judge Sullivan is not a Judge to mess with.

Good point

At sentencing hearing, judge tells Michael Flynn: ‘Arguably, you sold your country out’

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/michael-flynn-trumps-former-national-security-adviser-scheduled-to-be-sentenced/2018/12/17/19ce1bb4-0247-11e9-b5df-5d3874f1ac36_story.html?utm_term=.72b3d4dc28d1

Then Sullivan went big. “Arguably you sold your country out,” he told Flynn, adding: “I’m not hiding my disgust, my disdain for this criminal offense.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2018/12/18/trump-backers-just-had-their-anti-mueller-hopes-dreams-dashed/?utm_term=.486dd7a33492

Edited by bristolboy

1 hour ago, pedro01 said:

When a police organization such as the FBI investigate potential crimes -- they rely on the cooperation of the public and for the cooperation to be fully cooperative.  When you are interviewed if you are the target of the investigation or you have committed crimes you have the right to remain silent.  You however do not have the right to impede the investigation by lying to the FBI (usually the standard is lie about relevant information).  If you do, you are guilty of a crime ... period.  You do not get a pass just because you committed no other crime. 

When someone is not cooperating (which is problematic) the FBI can use lesser crimes to squeeze people into cooperating.  It is done every day in every city in America.  Once you get leverage, you use that leverage to get that person to flip so you can move up the ladder in the investigation.  That information though on it's own may be meaningless unless you have corroborating evidence -- especially if they have lied previously.  

If you are involved but not central, the prosecutors have the discretion to not charge you with every crime that you have committed.  They can charge you with one lesser crime, or they could give you immunity for your cooperation.  Just because they have not charged Flynn with other crimes does not mean he has not committed any.  Once he became a cooperating witness they likely would not have thrown the book at him. 

Many criminals and criminal organizations have been brought down using this process.

Giuliani, the President's lawyer, was famous for going hard at anyone committing lesser crimes to prevent the bigger crimes. 

Simply put, if you don't want to be charged with a crime, don't commit them.  Don't lie to the FBI, don't perjure yourself etc.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, bkkcanuck8 said:

Simply put, if you don't want to be charged with a crime, don't commit them.  Don't lie to the FBI, don't perjure yourself etc.

This will be Roger Stone's next tattoo.

This makes sense to most decent Americans. However, the trump "organization" seems to have a different motto.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Kieran00001 said:

Talk about desperate!  Now there is something wrong with the FBI when they catch a criminal!  He did not have to lie, he made that choice, and he made that choice because they were on to his crimes, deal with it, you support a bunch of criminals who are working for Russia, they are traitors, what does that make you?

Stand by my comment. Flynn wasn't colluding with Russia, no evidence that anyone of PT team colluded with them! All American's  that have been arrested in the investigation are charged with process crimes! You have been watching and listening  to many conspiracy theory's! What does it make me! Someone who respect's the office of the POTUS even when they have been responsible in killing innocent people!

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, riclag said:

Stand by my comment. Flynn wasn't colluding with Russia, no evidence that anyone of PT team colluded with them! All American's  that have been arrested in the investigation are charged with process crimes! You have been watching and listening  to many conspiracy theory's! What does it make me! Someone who respect's the office of the POTUS even when they have been responsible in killing innocent people!

Remember, please try to limit your daily Kool-Aid consumption.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

What shocks me is the way the Trump haters and the press just laugh off the blatant misconduct of the Government solely because they hate Trump.

trump's blatant misconduct is not a laughing matter. Sure, we laugh at his odd behavior, but maybe we shouldn't as he does seem to be suffering from mental degradation.

6 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

Thats why I think Dershowitz is the only civil libertarian left on the "left"

dershowitz left the left ages ago, if he was actually ever there. Why he's defending trump to the ends of the earth remains a mystery? He's clearly lost any self-awareness.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

Why he's defending trump to the ends of the earth remains a mystery? He's clearly lost any self-awareness

Because he is a true civil libertarian. YMMV. Put aside your hatred of Trump and think about it. 

As to Mr. Flynn, its tough to figure out what is in Judge Sullivans mind, but I dont think he is unhappy with just Mr. Flynn.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

Put aside your hatred of Trump and think about it. 

I honestly do not hate trump.

I do have a range of emotions towards him, his family and his supporters. Mostly pity.

13 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

I dont think he is unhappy with just Mr. Flynn

Ya think? Most reasonable people infer that the judge is unhappy with Flynn's defense team and the president's/minions interference.

Flynn could have walked today with probation if not for the idiotic conspiracy theorists trying to "help" him.

My advice, stop talking. But that requires discipline.

Edited by mtls2005
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

trump's blatant misconduct is not a laughing matter. Sure, we laugh at his odd behavior, but maybe we shouldn't as he does seem to be suffering from mental degradation.

dershowitz left the left ages ago, if he was actually ever there. Why he's defending trump to the ends of the earth remains a mystery? He's clearly lost any self-awareness.

He's defending Trump because Trump has been very supportive of the present Israeli government. To Dershowitz, that's what matters most. He pretty much judges politicians and would-be politician on where they stand on issues affecting Israel.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

53 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

Ya think? Most reasonable people infer that the judge is unhappy with Flynn's defense team and the president's/minions interference.

Flynn could have walked today with probation if not for the idiotic conspiracy theorists trying to "help" him.

My advice, stop talking. But that requires discipline.

LOL. Ya think? Ya think that Judge Sullivan is only unhappy with Flynn?

Flynn should have withdrawn his plea like the Judge was looking for him to do.

Start looking at all sides. But that requires an open mind.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

I've seen in some tv presentations of judges announcing their decisions sign language interpreters for the deaf featured. Maybe some network should feature you as a mind-reader for judges.

• Sad 1

10 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

The judge will do his job and hand down the sentence Flynn deserves.

Nobody else is before his bench facing conviction.

You should try to accept that reality.

2 hours ago, riclag said:

Paul Manafort? Process crimes only? 

• Thanks 1

Ha ha.

The judge called Flynn's bluff and Flynn didn't just blink, he crumbled.

The judge gave him an opportunity to repeat the claim he made that he wasn't warned about lying in the interview and the interview was improper. He wouldn't. The judge gave him a chance to legally challenge the interview process. He wouldn''t. The judge gave him a chance to change his plea to not guilty. He wouldn't.

Yet another example of Flynn's boasting and erratic decision-making that we have seen over the last two or three years. Then a total failure to follow through with actions.

Then the judge gave Flynn's lawyers an 'out' by hinting they should delay sentencing and they took it.

• Like 2