Jump to content

Consul General for US Embassy Bangkok Interview


Recommended Posts

If only money from out side of Thailand can be used for income...Then that is like saying your money in Thailand is no good...Dont invest or start a income producing business in Thailand ever because that income and that money is no good....

Edited by fforest1
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, fforest1 said:

If only money from out side of Thailand can be used for income...Then that is like saying your money in Thailand is no good...Dont invest or start a income producing business in Thailand ever because that income and that money is no good....

Well, retirement is pretty self explanatory isn't it? You get a retirement extension on the understanding that 'work is not permitted'. So where else is the income going to come from other than outside the country?

 

For marriage extensions it's a bit different because work is permitted, however I'd consider it reasonable to expect the applicant to supply an underlying income at the very least. Most, of course provide all the income.

Edited by Moonlover
  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, JackThompson said:

given I can imagine how this "income" could easily be faked

Whether true or not, you could be asked to sign a statement to the IMM official to the effect that this money has not been faked and, if it has been faked, you have made a false police report in a Thai police station subject to arrest.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Seems that the people on all the other threads that said income in a Thai bank was the way it was going to go, were right. All those people that kept banging on about what immigration "should" do, which, funny enough coincided with remedying their own difficulties, really did have their head in the clouds. After being accused of "having a negative attitude", lacking "empathy" for my fellow expats and being accused of wanting to split up families, it's nice to be proved correct. The solution of money in the bank was sooooo obviously the way immigration would go, yet, so many posters were blinded by their own wishful thinking.

I blow a big, wet raspberry to all those people.

Edited by Joe Mcseismic
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

And remember this chestnut from the UK Embassy Bangkok Stop Pension Letter Service notice?

What do I do now? 
You should now show that you have the 
income required by the Thai authorities by 
transferring the minimum funds needed into a 
Thai bank account. 

 

 

UK SPP22.pdf

Edited by JLCrab
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Joe Mcseismic said:

Seems that the people on all the other threads that said income in a Thai bank was the way it was going to go, were right. All those people that kept banging on about what immigration "should" do, which, funny enough coincided with remedying their own difficulties, really did have their head in the clouds. After being accused of "having a negative attitude", lacking "empathy" for my fellow expats and being accused of wanting to split up families, it's nice to be proved correct. The solution of money in the bank was sooooo obviously the way immigration would go, yet, so many posters were blinded by their own wishful thinking.

I blow a big, wet raspberry to all those people.

... and I fart in their general direction, their father was a hamster & their mother smelt of elderberries... 

Joking aside, many thanks to @skatewashfor the OP, I'm still going to have the 800K in my account just in case things are still not clear by the time my extension is due (Mid-July), e.g. Frequency (monthly/quarterly/yearly) & duration (3 months, 6 months, 12 months of transfer history is still to be declared but will continue to transfer > 65k per month in so I can spend it down once things are clearer.

 

 

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, fforest1 said:

Then that is like saying your money in Thailand is no good...Dont invest or start a income producing business

May be it will still be accepted after proper verification of tax documents etc. But those cases are few and far between. It is not going to overwhelm IOs. Pension letters, SS letters, stat decs, and pension letter from all over the world can be an administrative burden. Just wait and see. 

 

1 hour ago, JLCrab said:

Whether true or not, you could be asked to sign a statement to the IMM official to the effect that this money has not been faked and, if it has been faked, you have made a false police report in a Thai police station subject to arrest.

Just replacing one fake process (embassy letter) to another (faking money every month) but the later is more difficult, more expensive, and the country has more control for punishing the faker. 

 

1 hour ago, Joe Mcseismic said:

it's nice to be proved correct.

Nice to be vindicated.

 

It will be nice to see they add a clause that priority processing and special consideration will be given to agent submitted applications. 😀



 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, onera1961 said:

Just replacing one fake process (embassy letter) to another (faking money every month) but the later is more difficult, more expensive, and the country has more control for punishing the faker. 

No in this case you would actually have to show (likely) a foreign transfer into your Thai bank account and, would you really want to make a false statement in a Thai police office to a Thai police officer who could arrest you on the spot?

 

But maybe, just maybe, the Thai IMM folks who may be the ones to implement this possible extension of stay route are aware of people like yourself who say that a monthly FTT-type deposit can be faked and are one step ahead of you?

Edited by JLCrab
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Moonlover said:

So where else is the income going to come from other than outside the country?

 

Are foreigners allowed to buy shares in Thai companies, Thai mutual funds and have Thai bank deposits? I believe that is allowed on a retirement extension.

Link to post
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, JLCrab said:

Whether true or not, you could be asked to sign a statement to the IMM official to the effect that this money has not been faked and, if it has been faked, you have made a false police report in a Thai police station subject to arrest.

As opposed to a false affidavit or Stat Dec previously?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, jacko45k said:

Are foreigners allowed to buy shares in Thai companies, Thai mutual funds and have Thai bank deposits? I believe that is allowed on a retirement extension.

That is something I cannot comment on, but it does seem to be a fair observation.

 

it seems reasonable that investment in Thailand should be an acceptable source of income, providing it doesn't involve work.

 

However, right now I'm concentrating on ensuring that I can prove my foreign sourced income meets TI's criteria.

Link to post
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, jacko45k said:
3 hours ago, JLCrab said:

Whether true or not, you could be asked to sign a statement to the IMM official to the effect that this money has not been faked and, if it has been faked, you have made a false police report in a Thai police station subject to arrest.

As opposed to a false affidavit or Stat Dec previously?

Absolutely because now -- as opposed to the paper tiger you mention -- you would be committing a criminal act standing 1 meter from a Thai police officer in a Thai police station.

Link to post
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Are foreigners allowed to buy shares in Thai companies, Thai mutual funds and have Thai bank deposits? I believe that is allowed on a retirement extension.

Sure but from the OP how would you prove that without a bunch of source documents?

 

"A big issue with Thai Immigration is they don't want to have to review the various types of documents that could be involved and seem to be focusing on evidence of transferring funds into a Thai bank from outside Thailand as the solution."

Link to post
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, JLCrab said:

Absolutely because now -- as opposed to the paper tiger you mention -- you would be committing a criminal act standing 1 meter from a Thai police officer in a Thai police station.

As opposed to signing a false State Dec in front of your local Embassy officer, both are illegal and punishable under Thai law, even signing your photocopies for your Extension is like signing a Stat Dec. both are punishable under Thai law 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, a977 said:

As opposed to signing a false State Dec in front of your local Embassy officer, both are illegal and punishable under Thai law, even signing your photocopies for your Extension is like signing a Stat Dec. both are punishable under Thai law 

Everyone knew the odds of anything happening with a false statement to an Embassy official were about zero. Let's see you walk into a Thai IMM Police station and sign a false declaration in front of a Thai IMM Police officer knowing that, if they suspect any malfeasance, they can arrest you on the spot.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting that, during the Chiang Mai consular public meeting, at least based on the summary of it posted in this forum, there was talk about the Embassy staff trying to educate the Thai Immigration folks about the different kinds of U.S. income documents (such as Social Security statements or other government pension docs) and at least some implication that some of those might be acceptable in the future for proving monthly income.

 

Now in this report, we're back to the "transfer funds into a Thai bank account" notion and no direct mention at all of being able to prove monthly income without having to import the funds into Thailand.

 

The only good news out of all this is, perhaps, there will be some official Immigration policy announced/posted in January that will finally, perhaps, bring some clarity to just what the new rules are going to be.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

there will be some official Immigration policy announced/posted in January that will finally, perhaps, bring some clarity to just what the new rules are going to be.

Well we are sure that everything already mention here,  will perhaps occure sometime.

 

I personnaly don't believe anything from anyone ( foreign officials included ) anymore.

 

I just wait till an official amendment to the actual directives of T. I. is published.

 

 

 

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, JLCrab said:

Whether true or not, you could be asked to sign a statement to the IMM official to the effect that this money has not been faked and, if it has been faked, you have made a false police report in a Thai police station subject to arrest.

Works for me.
 

3 hours ago, JLCrab said:

...

and, would you really want to make a false statement in a Thai police office to a Thai police officer who could arrest you on the spot?

While that would undoubtedly be a difficult experience, that person would probably be offered a "deal" at the police station and, even if convicted, could just move to another more welcoming country after paying a fine and being deported.  The same crime is being committed by presenting a false-affidavit, as-is.

 

By contrast, a felony in one's passport-country could have more severe consequences, including significant prison-time, the loss of one's passport for an extended period, and difficulty obtaining gainful employment in the future.  A federal felony-record (in the USA) is For Life, unless you can get a presidential pardon.

 

The issue, in either case, would be proving the offense occurred - but the passport-country would usually have better access to one's complete financial info to make such a case.  This is why the embassy-letters were by far the superior deterrent to fraud. 

 

Of course, ongoing policy indicates immigration does not actually care about "fraud" - only reduced agent-tribute.  Embassy-letters, whether accurate or not, were a significant impediment to that stream of revenue.

 

3 hours ago, JLCrab said:

But maybe, just maybe, the Thai IMM folks who may be the ones to implement this possible extension of stay route are aware of people like yourself who say that a monthly FTT-type deposit can be faked and are one step ahead of you?

There are 2 different groups who could be "agent-money harvested" from this change - those who really don't have the stated-income, and those do have it, but cannot import it all easily. 

 

No doubt they are aware, and cursing how the myriad of untraceable workarounds could reduce agent-laundered under-the-table revenue.  But, if agent-fees are kept at a reasonable level, the vast majority in both affected-groups will pay them off via an agent, to avoid the hassle of sending money in circles with attendant fees.

 

Please keep in mind - this is coming from someone who has gone to great trouble to avoid paying into the agent-system.  This effort is not saving me any money, but I have family here, and have no desire to do anything which could be used to wreck that.

Edited by JackThompson
Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, mfd101 said:

Well, let's not all break out the champers just yet. Personally I await the formal announcement, no doubt in immaculate English prose.

 

That said, as I have said several times before, everyone should now be gearing up for & preferably already doing the monthly 65K minimum transfer from outside Thailand. I did my 2nd monthly yesterday with TW, my first with them. I am impressed both with the ease of dealing with them & with the end result.

I hope your Transferwise showed up as a foreign-transfer in your bank-statement.  Some report it does not always appear this way. 

 

I would not expect immigration to accept a PDF printout from transferwise or foreign-bank statements as "evidence" that a deposit showing as non-foreign in one's Thai bank-statement actually had a foreign-source.

Link to post
Share on other sites

BS Jack in Thailand, if they suspect you have made a false statement to a Thai IMM Police officer, they can arrest you and the burden of proof would be on you to prove otherwise.

Link to post
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, JLCrab said:

BS Jack in Thailand, if they suspect you have made a false statement to a Thai IMM Police officer, they can arrest you and the burden of proof would be on you to prove otherwise.

In that case, everyone is at risk, regardless of their honesty.   In my case, would they believe my foreign-company documents and bank-statements are genuine?  What about the income from your mine in Madagascar?  If the point of all this was streamlining the process, so they didn't have to try to interpret/verify foreign-sourced documents, arresting people randomly, absent any evidence, would not be helpful to that end.

 

But, it's food for thought.  All the more reason I'll stick with a Non-O Visa for now.  The MFA doesn't have an "agent-money" system to bolster - potentially by falsely-accusing people of crimes - if what you suggest were to become policy.

Link to post
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

But, it's food for thought. 

No I've already barfed on your voluminous verbiage food for thought. If the Thai IMM actually does put in a monthly income extension of stay via an FTT-type bank deposit, they'll either have to find ways to scuttle the 'myriad' workarounds or just put up with them.

 

I'll just wait for any official announcement.

Edited by JLCrab
Link to post
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Joe Mcseismic said:

Seems that the people on all the other threads that said income in a Thai bank was the way it was going to go, were right. All those people that kept banging on about what immigration "should" do, which, funny enough coincided with remedying their own difficulties, really did have their head in the clouds. After being accused of "having a negative attitude", lacking "empathy" for my fellow expats and being accused of wanting to split up families, it's nice to be proved correct. The solution of money in the bank was sooooo obviously the way immigration would go, yet, so many posters were blinded by their own wishful thinking.

I blow a big, wet raspberry to all those people.

I sure know what you mean Joe. It was getting to the stage where it was heresy to mention 'monthly income'.

 

What I couldn't understand was that both the Brit and the US embassies said quite clearly, right from the start, that it would be possible, yet many took no notice at all. Even calling them liars.

 

As the saying goes 'there's none so blind as those who refuse to see'.

 

Have a nice day.

 

ML

Link to post
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, JLCrab said:

Whether true or not, you could be asked to sign a statement to the IMM official to the effect that this money has not been faked and, if it has been faked, you have made a false police report in a Thai police station subject to arrest.

And be subjected to a fine and ban from entering the country.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...