Move to make health insurance mandatory for long-stay visas

Jonathan Fairfield

3 hours ago, smedly said:

this is very specific to O-A visa and is quite frankly a good idea

what I would like to see is an option for expats to subscribe to an in country healthcare system similar to Thais, it would cover those on retirement extensions - why not, we live here

In Thailand, where the farang is an easy mark! You are confusing Thailand with countries that actually want expats to come and spend there retirement there,  There are other countries that offer that. Thailand?  never happen.

• Replies 661
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, holy cow cm said:

I’m ok only if it is cheap. Many things like accidents are already covered by my Visa Card do why would I want an All the Bells and Whistles policy 

.....'covered by my Visa card'.

Is that specific to your issuer or all Visa card everywhere.

Can you please share a little more detail. thanks.

9 hours ago, Longcut said:

What happens when you are too old to obtain insurance?

I have being researching medical insurance and there is an age cap after which one cannot purchase insurance (even if one could afford the prohibitive premiums!).  Is this a scam advanced and lobbied for by Thai insurance companies? 

It seems, from all accounts, that it is the tourists who arrive here without medical coverage who end up sick and injured and unable to meet the costs of medical care.

26 minutes ago, scorecard said:

.....'covered by my Visa card'.

Is that specific to your issuer or all Visa card everywhere.

Can you please share a little more detail. thanks.

It’s just travel insurance , complimentary when you buy a ticket. Depending if gold or platinum , cover ranges 3-6 months 

11 minutes ago, Prairieboy said:

I have being researching medical insurance and there is an age cap after which one cannot purchase insurance (even if one could afford the prohibitive premiums!).  Is this a scam advanced and lobbied for by Thai insurance companies? 

It seems, from all accounts, that it is the tourists who arrive here without medical coverage who end up sick and injured and unable to meet the costs of medical care.

Agree with addition, it seems, from all accounts, that it is mostly the tourists who arrive here without medical coverage who end up sick and injured and unable to meet the costs of medical care.

34 minutes ago, Prairieboy said:

This is incorrect. AIA (or is it AIG?) will insure you past 70 years old. Pacific Cross will insure you. No one will insure pre-existing conditions, but, that just leaves another zillion conditions that you can be struck down with. It's not cheap, but, then the Thai government wants spenders, not Cheap Charlies.....

10 hours ago, darksidedog said:

There are Thai policies which cover this requirement for a few thousand baht and they have to offer cover to people up to 100 years of age, so no worries on the too old bit.

Sounds good can you give a link where to find them please

7 hours ago, Torrens54 said:

Perhaps they’ll re-introduce the Previous Ferang Health Insurance policy which the previously elected Government introduced ?

This excellent Policy was however Ditched, by the current Junta, leaving many who dropped their ovrrseas policies to , in Good Faith purchase the THAI GOVERNMENT Policy, OUT IN THE COLD !

Your post needs to be repeated many times.

There WAS an insurance system for foreigners and it worked well.There was also a funeral system and it worked equally well.

Abolished by the ever loving cabal of generals of whom it must be fairly said-"If brains were a hand grenade they couldn't even pull the pin."

I read this article on the Nation Newspaper yesterday

I have been waiting to see if this Government would add more to us staying here

Well here it is

Move to make health insurance mandatory for long-stay visas

Breaking News December 23, 2018 15:59

By The Nation

10,169 Viewed

Foreigners with one-year Non-Immigrant Visa “O-A” (Long Stay) will have to compulsorily arrange health insurance, according to new proposals of a key committee.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com

Under the breakingnews

As we are not allowed to place the correct web link here

I hope the Moderators will allow this to be kept running

As this possibly will effect a lot of people here

Plus many who may want to come here to live

Just because have Health Insurance, many retirees have pre-existing illnesses that are NOT covered..

If need treatment, it's expensive for those conditions.

As already mentioned, what happens with persons who cannot get insurance, for whatever reason!!

Once again, yet another "half baked" idea by Immigration Administration; despite all the Hype "Big Joke" (Maj. Gen.Surachet) is just that!!   

This is for those on O-A visa. It does not  impact those on retirement extensions, although any with sense will have some form of insurance anyway. We have all seen people getting hurt and having to go fund me to pay their bills. The big question is how long before they start focusing on the tourists and insisting they have some insurance too. There are Thai policies which cover this requirement for a few thousand baht and they have to offer cover to people up to 100 years of age, so no worries on the too old bit.

Can you direct us  the Thai policies that you mention?  Could be helpful, thanks..

This is for those on O-A visa. It does not  impact those on retirement extensions, although any with sense will have some form of insurance anyway. We have all seen people getting hurt and having to go fund me to pay their bills. The big question is how long before they start focusing on the tourists and insisting they have some insurance too. There are Thai policies which cover this requirement for a few thousand baht and they have to offer cover to people up to 100 years of age, so no worries on the too old bit.

I guess only time will tell with the Visa Extensions

Will be interesting when it will be brought up in the government to vote

Before or after the Elections

12 hours ago, anterian said:

I thought that was the basic point of the 800 kBaht, to show that one could cover medical expenses. 

Obviously a new scam from the thai government to squeeze more money from foreigners.

1 hour ago, Laza 45 said:

Can you direct us  the Thai policies that you mention?  Could be helpful, thanks..

Bangkok Bank sell  a policy that provides the level of cover required for this proposed order, covering accident and medical. Costs around 4,000 baht a year. It is not going to cover serious medical treatments, but for those on an O-A it will do the job, because it offers the out patient and in patient levels specified in the OP.

EDIT: This is a very basic policy. I am only 54, so it may be higher for those older. If you have serious health issues, you probably require something more upmarket.

short term no brain tourists that cause the problem and again, it's another party that have to pay...like many people say..what is the use of having 400k or 800k on a bank account? just to show off?  does average somchai even have an idea that this is not even salary but saved up money that most will never see or have in their lifetime as tomorrow you can be dead so the little money they have has to be enjoyed & spent today...  does anyone feel bad that we long stay "tourists" have to show those immigration officers more than a year worth of their salary, just in money that sits there...I never tough my money in the bank, but some year they even almost made a problem that I don't touch that money, they ask more bank papers even they already had those showing the money was there seasoned and the bankbook show only the 0.1% extra you get on that kind of deposit...

20 minutes ago, darksidedog said:

Bangkok Bank sell  a policy that provides the level of cover required for this proposed order. Costs around 4,000 baht a year, covering accident and medical. It is not going to cover serious medical treatments, but for those on an O-A it will do the job, because it offers the out patient and in patient levels specified in the OP.

That sounds like a Personal Accident Policy

Without me looking

I will look it up

But Over 65 for most

It will not help them

11 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Hey Darksidedog I’m on a retirement visa 6 years now living here n have pre existing medical conditions .. can U please reccomend ANY THAI INSURANCE that I could get affordable cover with even if it’s only to satisfy visa requirement please ??

im sure I’m not the only one in this position n would be most greatful for

any help/advise you could reccomend ..

Merry Christmas ???? 

15 minutes ago, eggers said:

Just because have Health Insurance, many retirees have pre-existing illnesses that are NOT covered..

If need treatment, it's expensive for those conditions.

As already mentioned, what happens with persons who cannot get insurance, for whatever reason!!

Once again, yet another "half baked" idea by Immigration Administration; despite all the Hype "Big Joke" (Maj. Gen.Surachet) is just that!!   

Some might say the writing is on the wall , what with the latest visa problems Big Jokes crack down and now this insurance event which I forecast 2 days ago .  It does feel as if a " clear out operation " is underway to reduce the less well off falang retirees .  Had a recent quote of 3-400 pounds a month for basic insurance ( age 71 ) . The best bet is a return to my country , UK ,  get a non imm; o visa and then an extended holiday insurance policy which will exceed the quoted requirements . I have done this and claimed when hospitalised . Policy paid out and well taken care of . Policy renewed and no premium added .

The Philippines & Vietnam are starting to attract a lot of interest 

12 hours ago, DepDavid said:

And what about those over 60 who can’t get insurance?  Is there going to be a plan available for them?

I'm over 60 and my medical insurance actually went down a bit this year when I renewed it

12 minutes ago, Lizard2010 said:

That sounds like a Personal Accident Policy

Without me looking

I will look it up

But Over 65 for most

It will not help them

Correct, that's all it is, accident cover, and I believe they won't cover you over 70 either. At least my bank SCB wouldn't.

Archived