farang ID card

9 hours ago, Pattaya46 said:

For taxes, if you don't have a personal identification number (PIN, from your Thai ID I think) they will give you a taxpayer identification number (TIN).

Passport number does not show on Tax department documents I saw. It's a number that changes too often to be used as a tax ID I think.

Apologies, I was in a rush when I posted so was unclear. I meant to say your passport number is used just for general identification purposes.

Of course it's not used for tax purposes. As you say, as a foreigner, for tax you are given a 13 digit pin (starting with a six) and that becomes your Thai ID number. If you subsequently obtain a yellow book and pink ID card that is the number used. If you had a yellow book/ID card before starting work/registering for tax the tax pin is the Thai ID number you already have.

4 hours ago, sumrit said:

Did you use your pink ID card or your passport for ID??

The number on your driving licence is your ID number' on the 'Identification document' you presented and that's where they take it from. 

The yellow book just replaces a residence certificate when renewing a driving licence.

I renewed mine two weeks ago and it has my ID number on it.

Passport, they wouldn't accept my alien card.

On 12/24/2018 at 1:21 PM, ocddave said:

Usually when I give ID, or visit Thai parks or attractions, I use the Pink Card and avoid any Falang pricing. So basically I like having it, it helps prove residency and separates you from the Tourists. Its not the end-all-be-all of existence, but I like having as much working in my favor as possible. So to each their own, but I like having it, and its not all that hard to get, so why not?

No, it doesn't. It's state that you are not a thai citizen on it, therefore it's up to them anyway. In chiang mai does not works out

2 hours ago, Nerone said:

No, it doesn't. It's state that you are not a thai citizen on it, therefore it's up to them anyway. In chiang mai does not works out

In your case it doesn't, in my case, every time it has worked. So yes, it does avoid falang pricing in most cases, I really have not seen an instance where I was charged extra, not yet at least. You live in Falang heaven up there in Chiang Mai, so I am sure they want to hammer you as much as possible.

According to laws, non-Thai (including farangs) are not allowed to pay Thai price in national parks.

Here is what parks' chief said in this article :

Tax-paying foreigners not entitled to local price at National Parks :

“Depending on the park, or specific park duty officer, foreigners may be allowed to pay the Thai rate,” explained the Chief of Tourism Promotion office of the Department of National Parks, Wildlife and Plant Conservation, Wanlapha Yuttiwong.

However, she confirmed that this “flexibility” was not based on any laws or regulations, which on the contrary, she insisted, stipulate that foreigners, regardless of their official status in Thailand, are obliged to pay the foreign price."

https://www.thephuketnews.com/tax-paying-foreigners-not-entitled-to-local-price-at-national-parks-50333.php

11 minutes ago, Pattaya46 said:

According to laws, non-Thai (including farangs) are not allowed to pay Thai price in national parks.

Here is what parks' chief said in this article :

Tax-paying foreigners not entitled to local price at National Parks :

“Depending on the park, or specific park duty officer, foreigners may be allowed to pay the Thai rate,” explained the Chief of Tourism Promotion office of the Department of National Parks, Wildlife and Plant Conservation, Wanlapha Yuttiwong.

However, she confirmed that this “flexibility” was not based on any laws or regulations, which on the contrary, she insisted, stipulate that foreigners, regardless of their official status in Thailand, are obliged to pay the foreign price."

https://www.thephuketnews.com/tax-paying-foreigners-not-entitled-to-local-price-at-national-parks-50333.php

Interesting article, with lots of quotes, and not a single link to the "laws or regulations" that the "Chief of Tourism" alluded to...

13 minutes ago, Pattaya46 said:

Read again. I think you misunderstood her text.

"flexibility" is not, in laws but laws exist.

Yes, it would have been nice if the reporter investigated the Chief of Tourism's claims and put them in writing, because I doubt the laws and regulations state to charge falangs 2/4/6/8/10 times the normal prices.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ocddave said:

Yes, it would have been nice if the reporter investigated the Chief of Tourism's claims and put them in writing, because I doubt the laws and regulations state to charge falangs 2/4/6/8/10 times the normal prices.

I'm quite sure that the "National park department" (or whatever this is called) has the power to set the prices for the national parks. They once defined that Thai citizens pay this and foreigners pay that, this does probably even exist in written form somewhere and then they put up the sign at the national parks accordingly.

So surprisingly the rule are actually perfectly clear, they are just not always followed by the park officials.

Of course i do not agree that foreigners should pay 10 times the Thai price.

But at least this section from the article above was a bit funny:

Asked why she thought the fees were so high, Ms Wanlapha remarked “We don’t get enough budget from the government to maintain the parks, and lately the number of foreign visitors to national parks has declined.”

Not enough visitors? Charge the few remaining visitors more, to make up for the losses, until nobody comes anymore. Typical Thai logic as seen on several other occasions ????

Edited by jackdd

32 minutes ago, jackdd said:

Not enough visitors? Charge the few remaining visitors more, to make up for the losses, until nobody comes anymore. Typical Thai logic as seen on several other occasions ????

They have several times explained that some National Parks got too many visitors, and this was damaging them. Seriously increasing prices was a solution to reduce the number of visitor while keeping the budget high enough to maintain the parks.

Something that I can understand for some very touristic location. :mellow:

1 hour ago, ocddave said:

Actually, we pay the normal price, the locals get a discount, like briefs all over the world, in Scotland, also at the Royal Melbourne golf club, and in Disney world in the USA.

3 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Actually, we pay the normal price, the locals get a discount, like briefs all over the world, in Scotland, also at the Royal Melbourne golf club, and in Disney world in the USA.

Locals? You mean like the people living here 24/7? Well that includes me, but so far the Falang price hasn't been applied to me yet. Like I said, the pink card has deflected that, at least when my wife presents it at the counter of anywhere we go.

38 minutes ago, ocddave said:

Locals? You mean like the people living here 24/7? Well that includes me, but so far the Falang price hasn't been applied to me yet. Like I said, the pink card has deflected that, at least when my wife presents it at the counter of anywhere we go.

Yes, but I think only those who have bothered to learn the language should get the discounted price.

My wife never presents anyone with my card, I'd be black-affronted if I couldn't speak for myself. 

On 12/28/2018 at 7:18 AM, ocddave said:

10 times the Thai price for foreigners is the norm. There was this report about the announcement of the fees by the Department of National Parks, Wildlife and Plant Conservation (DNP):

https://www.thainationalparks.com/posts/new-national-park-entrance-fees-announced

The announcement was probably also published in the Government Gazette and on the official website of the DNP.

• Like 1

On 12/29/2018 at 4:43 PM, Maestro said:

10 times the Thai price for foreigners is the norm. There was this report about the announcement of the fees by the Department of National Parks, Wildlife and Plant Conservation (DNP):

https://www.thainationalparks.com/posts/new-national-park-entrance-fees-announced

The announcement was probably also published in the Government Gazette and on the official website of the DNP.

This is not an official website.

Remember, it is the normal price for foreigners, and a discounted price for locals residents.

19 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Remember, it is the normal price for foreigners, and a discounted price for locals residents.

For Thais, not local residents ????

You may call it another way so that it sounds better, but this doesn't make it better

47 minutes ago, jackdd said:

For Thais, not local residents ????

You may call it another way so that it sounds better, but this doesn't make it better

Not true, as I've got into every national park that I've been to for the discounted price. Also other places like crocodile farms etc. 

18 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Not true, as I've got into every national park that I've been to for the discounted price. Also other places like crocodile farms etc. 

Just because the people working there made a mistake because they are not aware of the official rules (at national parks, at private businesses like a crocodile farm the operator can of course make his own rules)

The official rule is: Thai citizens pay xxx and non Thai citizens pay yyy. This is written on the signs at every national park

Edited by jackdd

9 minutes ago, jackdd said:

Just because the people working there made a mistake because they are not aware of the official rules (at national parks, at private businesses like a crocodile farm the operator can of course make his own rules)

The official rule is: One price for Thai citizens, one price for all others. This is written on the signs at every national park

Well thank God officials here don't stick by the rules like in my home country.

We should be grateful that if we speak Thai or show a driver's license, we get the discounted price.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

We should be grateful that if we speak Thai or show a driver's license, we get the discounted price.

When was the last time you went to a national park? 10 years ago? Today this doesn't work anymore

The only thing which seems to confuse them into giving a non-Thai the Thai price is the pink id card.

What usually works for me is to be completely covered (motorbike gear, face mask, full face helmet, no skin visible) and have my GF pay for the tickets, they assume that i'm Thai, but even like this it has happened to me once that they asked to see my id card.

Edited by jackdd

On 12/24/2018 at 1:39 PM, phetpeter said:

Don't have to carry your passport, I use the ID card instead. It is proof that you are a long-term residence, shows you are legal, The number show BIB what your status is, and is becoming more and more relevant. 

On 12/24/2018 at 1:43 PM, jackdd said:

I assume your number starts with a 6, this says you stay in Thailand temporarily, so same as any tourist

My driving licences use my passport number. To get a driving license you have to produce proof of residence (yellow book or letter from Immigration), so the DL showes the same information.

Certainly my DL has been accepted as ID for internal flights.

As for hospital, when I first moved here I stepped on a broken glass. Off to the local hospital for stitches. They took a blood test, and found out I had diabetes (type 2). Head nurse signed me up, I was issued a hospital number, and now I have regular check ups and get my medication at the hospital. I pay the going rate, but it is about a third of what the big private hospital in town would charge. Queues are long, so I take a book 

3 minutes ago, JAG said:

My driving licences use my passport number. To get a driving license you have to produce proof of residence (yellow book or letter from Immigration), so the DL showes the same information.

As for hospital, when I first moved here I stepped on a broken glass. Off to the local hospital for stitches. They took a blood test, and found out I had diabetes (type 2). Head nurse signed me up, I was issued a hospital number, and now I have regular check ups and get my medication at the hospital. I pay the going rate, but it is about a third of what the big private hospital in town would charge. Queues are long, so I take a book 

Same here, the pink ID card is stupid, and useless, and gives many a false feeling of being accepted into society. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

6 minutes ago, Rugon said:

Same here, the pink ID card is stupid, and useless, and gives many a false feeling of being accepted into society. 

"Being accepted", yes, that takes a bit more than a pink card!

A couple of visits to the hospital ago, the local school was closed for the day. There were a few of the staffs children corralled restlessly in the waiting area. The diabetic clinic nurse asked me if I would talk to them - well a couple of choruses of "heads, shoulders knees and toes" and a marathon session of "I spy with my little eye" kept them busy, and passed the waiting time. That probably did more to make me "accepted" thank any number of cards!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JAG said:

My Thai Driving Licence shows my Thai ID number, not my passport number. When I renew my DL  I choose to use my Pink ID card for ID, not my passport so they use my ID number on my DL.

When did you last use your DL for an internal flight? A friend tried to use his DL for an internal flight earlier this year he was told the DL was no longer acceptable.

4 minutes ago, sumrit said:

My Thai Driving Licence shows my Thai ID number, not my passport number. When I renew my DL  I choose to use my Pink ID card for ID, not my passport so they use my ID number on my DL.

When did you last use your DL for an internal flight? A friend tried to use his DL for an internal flight earlier this year he was told the DL was no longer acceptable.

February 2018

9 minutes ago, JAG said:

February 2018

OK. My mate flew to Chang Rai in either April or May to accompany his stepdaughter to a University application interview. Can't be certain but I understand they did accept his ID card. I don't think he had his passport with him anyway.

Edited by sumrit

17 minutes ago, sumrit said:

I used my Thai DL for domestic flights about 2-3 months ago, Airasia and Thai Smile Airways, i think the person who processed your friend just didn't know that a Thai DL is sufficient

10 minutes ago, jackdd said:

I used my Thai DL for domestic flights about 2-3 months ago, Airasia and Thai Smile Airways, i think the person who processed your friend just didn't know that a Thai DL is sufficient

Maybe, he had used his DL in the past.

4 hours ago, JAG said:

"Being accepted", yes, that takes a bit more than a pink card!

A couple of visits to the hospital ago, the local school was closed for the day. There were a few of the staffs children corralled restlessly in the waiting area. The diabetic clinic nurse asked me if I would talk to them - well a couple of choruses of "heads, shoulders knees and toes" and a marathon session of "I spy with my little eye" kept them busy, and passed the waiting time. That probably did more to make me "accepted" thank any number of cards!

You and I have different ideas about being accepted into a society.

You were chosen to entertain the kids purely on your skin colour?

I can just imagine the uproar of asking a black man in US hospital waiting room to give a few lines of 'wade in the water', or asking an Asian-looking man to sing the Chinese version of 'I'm a little teapot' to my kids.

• Haha 2