farang ID card

1 hour ago, sumrit said:

My wife's cousin who's regularly working on roadside checkpoints near Korat tells me they only need to send the individuals ID number that's on the pink ID card by phone to quickly get confirmation of the person's visa/extension status...

That's interesting. Where or to whom does he send the ID number?

• Like 1

Just now, Maestro said:

That's interesting. Where or to whom does he send the ID number?

Don't know, but I'll ask more about it next time we go to Korat and I get to see him. It just came up in general conversation because I had a card and some people there hadn't seen one. He mentioned they could check a foreigner's visa/extension status using their ID number

1 hour ago, sumrit said:

My wife's cousin who's regularly working on roadside checkpoints near Korat tells me they only need to send the individuals ID number that's on the pink ID card by phone to quickly get confirmation of the person's visa/extension status. So they don't do it by name jackdd. He also said he'll accept a copy of somebody's passport.... if they offer him enough but insist on seeing the original passport if they don't. He just smiled but wouldn't say how much 'enough' was when I asked him

that's correct, it just happen to my neighbor, he presented copy of passport and the cop told him to clean his rear end with it because it didn't proof anything..... he then show the pink ID, the cop went to car came back smiling and said all OK.....

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Geordieabroad said:

I've had a pink I.D. card for 3 years.

Apart from showing it instead of a passport at hotel checkin and paying Thai price at national parks, attractions etc. it's not much good for anything else

What else would you expect it to be good for?

28 minutes ago, jackdd said:

At least since 4 years, here is a news from back then: https://asiancorrespondent.com/2014/12/thailand-police-foreigners-not-required-to-carry-passports-at-all-times/#PSQGjI5SxSlURyUS.99

But actually i think they never changed the law and there was never an obligation to carry the passport with you, it is just used by some police officers to extort money

From that article, it appears that you're not required to carry your passport at all times but you must be able to produce it, if required. So somebody from say Bangkok who's travelling up country without carrying his genuine passport would probably struggle to produce it in a northern province when required

Edited by sumrit

2 hours ago, Pattaya46 said:

Policemen doing checkpoints don't have (usually) any way to access your data online. :dry:

From reports on this forum, they (usually) accept a Passport copy as proof your are ok. :smile:

Your pink ID will be in no help in such a case.

But you don't want to understand that, so I will stop here. ????

Talking out of your ****. Pink ID card shows your ID and would therefore be a help at a checkpoint. Kind of obvious don’t you think? Although I’ve never been asked for any form of ID at a checkpoint 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

26 minutes ago, jackdd said:

Why should i not like it? I just gave some infos on how the card works (and what it doesn't do)

Yeah you’re right. Lots of things it doesn’t do. I can’t get into the cinema FOC and when I go to Tops they still ask me to pay for my groceries even though I show my pink card. Taxis make me pay too. Why on earth did I ever get this useless card

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Fairynuff said:

Talking out of your ****. Pink ID card shows your ID and would therefore be a help at a checkpoint. Kind of obvious don’t you think? Although I’ve never been asked for any form of ID at a checkpoint 

The pink Foreign, Alien, ID card, Is also useful for scrapping the ice of the car windscreen in the mornings. 

1 hour ago, Fairynuff said:

???

I have always been asked for an ID, at every checkpoint : The Policeman always asked for my Driving Licence.

The Thai Driving License is a valid proof of ID in Thailand. It's the document I always carry with me.

28 minutes ago, Pattaya46 said:

???

I have always been asked for an ID, at every checkpoint : The Policeman always asked for my Driving Licence.

The Thai Driving License is a valid proof of ID in Thailand. It's the document I always carry with me.

Yes, it’d be quite sensible to show a driving license if stopped when driving

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I have a pink card and yellow book and I qualify for free medical care, and medication due to my wife being a teacher. I have to show the pink card each time I go to the hospital.

A few weeks ago on an ex-pats FaceBook page somebody had posted about finding a wallet. The post showed a pink ID card and clearly the owner was not Thai, possibly German. There were no other details about what was in the wallet but there didn't need to be. It looked like the post was initiated by a Thai person. In that case the owner of the wallet could be easily found. 

11 hours ago, Pattaya46 said:

???

Must be the way you look at them, I never get stopped and asked for ID. The Police always just smile and wave me through.????

Although it is sometimes accepted as general ID at various places, having a Thai Driving Licence is actually only valid proof that you can legally drive on Thailand's roads.????

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Geordieabroad said:

I've had a pink I.D. card for 3 years.

Apart from showing it instead of a passport at hotel checkin and paying Thai price at national parks, attractions etc. it's not much good for anything else

Well for 60 baht isnt it worth getting Thai prices at national parks & attractions ? First time I used it saved 450 baht at Fang Hot Springs.Thai driving licence has never got that for me

• Like 1

6 hours ago, sumrit said:

Must be the way you look at them, I never get stopped and asked for ID. The Police always just smile and wave me through.????

Although it is sometimes accepted as general ID at various places, having a Thai Driving Licence is actually only valid proof that you can legally drive on Thailand's roads.????

Porkie alert, 'The Police always just smile', so where exactly are these smiling Police?.  I have not encountered many. Certainly not at the expressway toll areas when pulled over.

Thai driving licence has your address on the back, so kind of useful if you get wiped out in a RTA here and they need to contact family.

I have no axe to grind on pink ID's/yellow books. Some on this forum revel in the fact that they possess such items. I find the less I have to do with Thai officialdom the better. When Immigration which is the one most of us have to deal with tell us we must have them, I'll join the queue.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, phutoie2 said:

Porkie alert, 'The Police always just smile', so where exactly are these smiling Police?.  I have not encountered many. Certainly not at the expressway toll areas when pulled over.

Thai driving licence has your address on the back, so kind of useful if you get wiped out in a RTA here and they need to contact family.

I have no axe to grind on pink ID's/yellow books. Some on this forum revel in the fact that they possess such items. I find the less I have to do with Thai officialdom the better. When Immigration which is the one most of us have to deal with tell us we must have them, I'll join the queue.

There are two regular (usually 2-3 times a month) checkpoints just around the corner from where we live in Chonburi plus, when I take my daughter to University in Bang Sean every day, there's a checkpoint outside the entrance more often than not. So, over the three checkpoints, I would guess that I have to queue up and go through a checkpoint at least 15-20 times a month on average. I have NEVER been stopped and asked for any documentation, I just have my window wound down as I approach and always get a pleasant smile from the policeman as he waves me through. So this is NOT a 'Porkie Alert', it's the God's honest TRUTH.

I agree with your comment 'Thai driving licence has your address on the back, so kind of useful if you get wiped out in a RTA here( or suffer any other type of illness, such as a heart attack) and they need to contact family'. The pink IDcard also has your address on it so it is equally useful in this instance, plus, for people who don't drive or have a driving licence this would be another advantage in having a pink ID card.

I fully understand that while some of us find pink ID's/yellow books useful and convenient while others will decide it's not necessary to get them. I don't have any problem at all with that.

I think you'll find that most people who have got yellow books/ID cards don't 'revel' in the fact, they are simply winding up the posters who belittle both their use and the people who do have them, in the comments they make in these threads. I know that's what I do.

(most of) The people who start these threads do so because they genuinely want to know if a pink card and yellow book would be of use to them. And the first few posts are invariably made by the anti pink ID's/yellow book brigade saying they are totally useless and it's a waste of time getting them. When some of us offer an alternative and point out (for some) they are very useful we often get a load of sarcastic c**p in return. So when I get these comments I enjoy winding those people up for the silly comments they make.

I, for one, am not revelling in having a Pink card, merely point out the advantages I have found and leave the decision to the ones who asked the questions.

On 12/24/2018 at 1:51 PM, ubonjoe said:

Are you sure about that?

As far as I know you have to of been working and paying social security before you can apply for that after you job ends.

Yes, you must be working to get social security.

This pink card is not a farang ID, it is a non-Thai ID, and a date of time. I'm going for the blue one.

14 minutes ago, roath said:

So why say I wasn't correct and why did you just try to use your pink ID without your yellow book?

Anyway....

Sent from my RNE-L22 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Sorry, I thought you said that you don't need a letter of residency if you have a pink non-Thai ID card.

I tried to use my pink card to see if they'd accept it. Usually I just show my work permit as my yellow book is in a different province from where I live and where I got my pink card.

59 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

The address is on the pink card.

The reason that they also want to see the yellow book is probably that if you officially change your address the house book will of course be updated and thus it always shows the current, officially registered address. But maybe you don't update your pink id card and so this could show an old address.

The same does of course also apply to Thais with the blue house book and their normal id card, which might be a reason that even a Thai sometimes has to show the house book for critical stuff and can't just use the id card alone.

After reading the comments, I wanted to elaborate on my first post.

I personally had to jump through hoops at my district office to get my pink ID card. I needed a Thai relative as a witness (my in-laws all live at least 8 hours by bus away), I had to wait hours for my documents to be signed at the office after finally getting a certified translated copy of my passport (notarization at the embassy, translation fees and MFA stamps totalling together near 3,300 THB).

My district did not want to issue the pink card. I was told that they are as useful as a Pokemon card and us foreigners just want one because we saw someone else has one. I was told by the signing official that my passport was more useful and powerful, but if I really wanted a pink card and had the necessary paperwork, he would issue me one.

After already paying into the social security system for 5 and a half years, I wanted to continue coverage and the social security office would not even talk to me to apply for Section 39 (to continue my coverage after changing to a job that does not pay into SS) without it. 

This is the only time I NEEDED a pink card instead of a passport, work permit, or tabien baan.

In daily life, I do find the pink card useful though. I use it to put down as ID to borrow a stroller for my kid at malls.

• Like 1