farang ID card

33 minutes ago, Geordieabroad said:

I've had a pink I.D. card for 3 years.

Apart from showing it instead of a passport at hotel checkin and paying Thai price at national parks, attractions etc. it's not much good for anything else

does it prove your residence in a way which is sufficient for the Driver License Department?  So an immigration report would not be required?

6 minutes ago, sumrit said:

I'm confused, if you have a Pink ID card why would even attempt to use your driving licence by choice?

I don't have the Pink ID, but know one guy who got it with the hope he good pay Thai price as his wife and children... Works sometimes only.

For me, trying first to get a Yellow Book turned to a nightmare (it was about 10 years ago) so I didn't even try the Pink ID.

25 minutes ago, beet man said:

A pink card does not give you free medical assistance at the hospital.

Been there tried that. It is only for Lao and Cambodian who make

insurance in Thailand And have the pink card.

A wast of 100.- 

I'm registered at the Phaya Thai hospital using my ID card where I go for regular check ups. Using the details on the card hospital medical staff can access my medical records at any of the hospitals. I call that an advantage but if you think medical staff accessing records it a waste of time and money............. 

30 minutes ago, beet man said:

A pink card does not give you free medical assistance at the hospital.

Been there tried that. It is only for Lao and Cambodian who make

insurance in Thailand And have the pink card.

A wast of 100.- 

The confusion comes from the fact that the insurance card for migrant workers (which they have ti pay for) is also pink in color. But it is a different card than the pink ID card.

The pink ID card does have its uses - basically as proof of residence, and in some cases as ID - but nothing to do with health care.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, sumrit said:

I'm registered at the Phaya Thai hospital using my ID card where I go for regular check ups. Using the details on the card hospital medical staff can access my medical records at any of the hospitals. I call that an advantage but if you think medical staff accessing records it a waste of time and money............. 

Same registration can be done (at any hospital) using a passport.

4 hours ago, janejira said:

You can extend your social security coverage under Section 39 with the pink card if you no longer work and want to pay into the system independently.

I needed to get a pink card to to do this. 

Same here. That is the only really useful advantage compared to a driving license in my experience. That's why I never applied for it before.

The driving license is even more useful as it mentions your passport number.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

sorry to disagree but many hospital staff doesn't speak or understand english, they keep looking at the name, expire date, even nationality and so forth.....waste of time and lots of misunderstandings with Pink card I just presented it,it's in Thai and they complete the process in a blink of an eye with passport they always (the majority of the time) have to call somebody else to help and again most of the time the "help" is worse than the one already there

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

The confusion comes from the fact that the insurance card for migrant workers (which they have ti pay for) is also pink in color. But it is a different card than the pink ID card.

The pink ID card does have its uses - basically as proof of residence - but nothing to do with health care.

The Pink ID card is primarily what it says, an ID Card (with photo ID), although it does also show your address, it's the yellow books that shows, and is accepted as, proof of residence

17 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

That's very true of course, but I'd prefer to use an ID card that's permanently in my wallet and more resistant to any damage instead of having to carry a passport around that' likely to get damaged over the years. Also, if I need to visit a hospital when I'm away from home, my card is with me but my passport is locked in the safe at home.

As I've said, for me, the pink card is always with me and more convenient. If you want to continue carrying your passport around you, of course can. It's your choice.

Edited by sumrit
  • Like 2

31 minutes ago, sumrit said:

// If you want to continue carrying your passport around you, of course can. It's your choice.

Seems a bit of a ridiculous statement... :wink:. Very few expats who carry their passport around.

I think that most of them just get a good photocopy of their details and visa pages. I keep that paper with my Thai riving Licence. I regularly use my TDL but think I never needed my passport copy :cool:.

19 minutes ago, Pattaya46 said:

Seems a bit of a ridiculous statement... :wink:. Very few expats who carry their passport around.

I think that most of them just get a good photocopy of their details and visa pages. I keep that paper with my Thai riving Licence. I regularly use my TDL but think I never needed my passport copy :cool:.

I think it's ridiculous that you would continually prefer to go to all the trouble of getting a photocopy of the relevant passport pages and updating it when, as you say, you've never needed it, so far. That's your choice.

I don't have that hassle, as I've said.......convenience.

• Like 1

Just now, Pattaya46 said:

I think you should... Your Pink ID doesn't prove that you are in legal situation in Thailand. Only you Passport can prove that.

My ID card details are linked directly to my legal status in Thailand, including my passport details and can be accessed by the relevant authorities at any time via a PC........while your 'photocopy' can easily be photo shopped. 

8 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Pink card is also linked to your tabian ban.

Of course it is. And you need the Tabien Baan to apply for a pink ID card. I was just trying to point out that the ID card was primarily an ID card (with added info included) while the Tabien Baan is primarily for proof of residence. 

Even though it is only valid in the province in which it was issued, I use it all over Thailand for checking into hotel.

Only been refused once.....by Air Asia, on a domestic flight, despite the fact I was boarding a flight in my home province. They demanded to see my passport.
that's because the pink id card only has your name.in Thai.so.isn't valid.for proving your name in.English

Sent from my RNE-L22 using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

8 hours ago, 1337markus said:

If you have the yellow book then what difference does this card make? Gossip I was told the pink card was developed for mountain people who did not have a Thai ID card?

Could be..........one of the criteria's I read was 'someone illegally living in Thailand ' will get the pink card if his/her request to stay is under review.  hence Mountain folk Cham, Meo, Rhade who are basically country less.  Coming from Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam

Edited by TunnelRat69

1 hour ago, sumrit said:

My ID card details are linked directly to my legal status in Thailand, including my passport details and can be accessed by the relevant authorities at any time via a PC........while your 'photocopy' can easily be photo shopped. 

Policemen doing checkpoints don't have (usually) any way to access your data online. :dry:

From reports on this forum, they (usually) accept a Passport copy as proof your are ok. :smile:

Your pink ID will be in no help in such a case.

But you don't want to understand that, so I will stop here. ????

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sumrit said:

If police have access to this data you can just tell them your name, birthdate and nationality and they can look you up, so you don't need to carry anything with you

6 hours ago, StevieAus said:

Although the card was issued by the District Office in the same town they will not accept it as proof of residence and require me to obtain a certificate from Immigration.

You should of shown your yellow house book instead of your card. Thai's have to show at least a copy of their house book along with their ID card.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Pattaya46 said:

Policemen doing checkpoints don't have (usually) any way to access your data online. :dry:

From reports on this forum, they (usually) accept a Passport copy as proof your are ok. :smile:

Your pink ID will be in no help in such a case.

But you don't want to understand that, so I will stop here. ????

41 minutes ago, jackdd said:

If police have access to this data you can just tell them your name, birthdate and nationality and they can look you up, so you don't need to carry anything with you

My wife's cousin who's regularly working on roadside checkpoints near Korat tells me they only need to send the individuals ID number that's on the pink ID card by phone to quickly get confirmation of the person's visa/extension status. So they don't do it by name jackdd. He also said he'll accept a copy of somebody's passport.... if they offer him enough but insist on seeing the original passport if they don't. He just smiled but wouldn't say how much 'enough' was when I asked him

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, StevieAus said:

I have a pink ID card which I have found has some limited uses.

As my driving licence expires in about a month I checked with the local office as to the current requirements here in Chiang Mai Province.

Although the card was issued by the District Office in the same town they will not accept it as proof of residence and require me to obtain a certificate from Immigration.

So if you think you can use it to get the 30 baht medical treatment.

Good Luck !

Your pink ID Card isn't for proof of residence, your yellow house book is for that.

I renewed my driving licence two weeks ago in Chonburi and they needed my yellow house book as proof of residence instead of a residence certificate and my Pink ID card as proof of ID (replacing the need for my passport).

As ubonjoe said, this is exactly the same as Thais have to supply to renew their driving licence

On 12/24/2018 at 2:21 PM, ocddave said:

Usually when I give ID, or visit Thai parks or attractions, I use the Pink Card and avoid any Falang pricing. So basically I like having it, it helps prove residency and separates you from the Tourists. Its not the end-all-be-all of existence, but I like having as much working in my favor as possible. So to each their own, but I like having it, and its not all that hard to get, so why not?

Good answer. The commentss about carrying about the yellow house book are just not practical. It's like carrying your passport. Most of us have a photocopy or a copy on the phone to avoid the hassle of losing the passport. The id card is convenient and shows that one is local.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, sumrit said:

So they don't do it by name jackdd.

Just because they prefer to do it by an id number doesn't mean that they can't do it by name, i would consider it to be quite strange if they can't look up a person by anything else than their id number

26 minutes ago, sumrit said:

He also said he'll accept a copy of somebody's passport.... if they offer him enough but insist on seeing the original passport if they don't. He just smiled but wouldn't say how much 'enough' was when I asked him 

There is no obligation to carry your passport arround with you, so i wonder why anybody would pay any money for this, but i guess he can always find a few clueless people from who he can extort money.

15 minutes ago, jackdd said:

Just because they prefer to do it by an id number doesn't mean that they can't do it by name, i would consider it to be quite strange if they can't look up a person by anything else than their id number

There is no obligation to carry your passport arround with you, so i wonder why anybody would pay any money for this, but i guess he can always find a few clueless people from who he can extort money.

I'm sure they can check using a persons name and other details as well. I was talking about the pink card to him and he told me they could now get a 'status update' just by sending the ID number of that person.

When did they stop requiring people to carry their passports? I was talking to him last year at his wedding and he told me he was getting backhanders then. I've obviously missed it if there's been a fairly recent change in the rules. It hasn't come up in conversation since though.

5 minutes ago, sumrit said:

When did they stop requiring people to carry their passports? I was talking to him last year at his wedding and he told me he was getting backhanders then. I've obviously missed it if there's been a fairly recent change in the rules. It hasn't come up in conversation since though.

At least since 4 years, here is a news from back then: https://asiancorrespondent.com/2014/12/thailand-police-foreigners-not-required-to-carry-passports-at-all-times/#PSQGjI5SxSlURyUS.99

But actually i think they never changed the law and there was never an obligation to carry the passport with you, it is just used by some police officers to extort money

• Like 1