farang ID card

3 minutes ago, janejira said:

After reading the comments, I wanted to elaborate on my first post.

I personally had to jump through hoops at my district office to get my pink ID card. I needed a Thai relative as a witness (my in-laws all live at least 8 hours by bus away), I had to wait hours for my documents to be signed at the office after finally getting a certified translated copy of my passport (notarization at the embassy, translation fees and MFA stamps totalling together near 3,300 THB).

My district did not want to issue the pink card. I was told that they are as useful as a Pokemon card and us foreigners just want one because we saw someone else has one. I was told by the signing official that my passport was more useful and powerful, but if I really wanted a pink card and had the necessary paperwork, he would issue me one.

After already paying into the social security system for 5 and a half years, I wanted to continue coverage and the social security office would not even talk to me to apply for Section 39 (to continue my coverage after changing to a job that does not pay into SS) without it. 

This is the only time I NEEDED a pink card instead of a passport, work permit, or tabien baan.

In daily life, I do find the pink card useful though. I use it to put down as ID to borrow a stroller for my kid at malls.

Was this big hassle for the Pink ID or for obtain tabien baan (yellow book) ?

Because till now I always was thinking when you have a yellow book the pink ID would be easy.. but the yellow book could be a big mess to obtain!

7 minutes ago, janejira said:

I personally had to jump through hoops at my district office to get my pink ID card. I needed a Thai relative as a witness (my in-laws all live at least 8 hours by bus away), I had to wait hours for my documents to be signed at the office after finally getting a certified translated copy of my passport (notarization at the embassy, translation fees and MFA stamps totalling together near 3,300 THB).

All that was not really needed to get only the ID card. It was to get a ID number and a yellow house book that is required to get the ID card. Once you have those the ID card is easy to get.

13 minutes ago, HampiK said:

Because till now I always was thinking when you have a yellow book the pink ID would be easy.. but the yellow book could be a big mess to obtain!

I applied for both at the same time because they can use the same paperwork. 

The office issued the yellow tabien baan (9am) then told me to go across the way to social security to see if that would be enough to continue the coverage (it wasn't, and we knew it wasn't). When I came back to the district office, they told me they would issue the pink card but I needed to wait until 4pm so they could change over the ID system from Thai IDs to foreigner IDs...because they didnt want to switch the system back and forth.

16 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

All that was not really needed to get only the ID card. It was to get a ID number and a yellow house book that is required to get the ID card. Once you have those the ID card is easy to get.

Agree. I got the tabien baan in order to get the pink card, so I link the two together in my mind.

I have heard from people who applied for both the tabien baan and pink ID card in other offices (particularly in Bangkok) and they said they were in and out without a hassle. Sometimes even without a translated passport or witness.

I have a feeling my office is just particularly picky. 

On 12/24/2018 at 11:31 AM, ubonjoe said:

It only makes it easier to get the service but it is not free. The ID number is used to get served quicker. You can do the same thing with the yellow house book.

That is not quite true, you need to register at a hospital with a photo ID, either passport or ID card.

I had to get a new passport back in 2014 before I got the pink ID card and I had to go through registration again in the 2 hospitals I was with at the time. I am now with 4 hospitals, the latter 2 being registered with the pink ID card which certainly makes things easier when attending, the Cancer hospital in Chonburi requires that you hand in your ID on arrival and you get it back after seeing the cashier.

On 12/25/2018 at 6:07 PM, sumrit said:

Don't know, but I'll ask more about it next time we go to Korat and I get to see him. It just came up in general conversation because I had a card and some people there hadn't seen one. He mentioned they could check a foreigner's visa/extension status using their ID number

That would be a move in the right direction but I do not see it being national at the moment.

The pink ID card is linked to the yellow house book and immigration would need to record that house book against an extension application which I do not think is routine at the moment.

1 hour ago, sandyf said:

That would be a move in the right direction but I do not see it being national at the moment.

The pink ID card is linked to the yellow house book and immigration would need to record that house book against an extension application which I do not think is routine at the moment.

This is basically how it was explained to me.

Everything (tabien baan, ID card, income tax, SS, etc, etc) is linked by your ID number both for Thai Nationals and non-Thais (who have an ID number). So the system is already in place and your number can be used to access details for Thais and non Thais alike. 

eg: if a non-Thai works, the number allocated to pay tax is the same number used for every other thing, such as the Tabien baan. 

For non-Thais who don't have an ID number their passport number is used. 

eg: When a non Thai, who doesn't have an ID number, obtains a Thai Driving Licence their passport number is printed on the licence for ID, but if they subsequently get a yellow book and use that to prove residence instead of a residence certificate and/or a pink card for ID instead of a passport, their allocated ID number replaces the passport number on the new licence.  

2 hours ago, HampiK said:

For me, obtaining the yellow book was a lot more involved and took a few weeks to complete. I remember one thing I had to do was make a statement about my trips to, and time in Thailand and although they could confirm that with copies of my passport pages, they said they needed to confirm the details with Immigration were accurate. That alone took about three weeks. Others have told me that didn't happen with their applications in different Amphurs though.

Once I had my yellow book getting the pink ID card was easy. I had to make an appointment to be first in the queue in the morning though because they didn't want to have to change their equipment settings in the middle of the day just for me then change them back again.

40 minutes ago, sumrit said:

Everything (tabien baan, ID card, income tax, SS, etc, etc) is linked by your ID number

//

For non-Thais who don't have an ID number their passport number is used. 

For taxes, if you don't have a personal identification number (PIN, from your Thai ID I think) they will give you a taxpayer identification number (TIN).

Passport number does not show on Tax department documents I saw. It's a number that changes too often to be used as a tax ID I think.

Edited by Pattaya46

Just to add my own experiences to this thread. I have both a pink ID card and a yellow house book.

The house book is used whenever I need to prove my address. Mostly with immigration(90 day and annual retirement renewal) but I recently opened a 2nd bank account and this was fine with my local branch of Kasikorn. They also accepted my Thai ID card but asked for my passport as well.

My ID card which was easy to obtain from my local Amphur Office(Phetchabun) because I already had the yellow book(which was also easy to get). Just made an appointment and turned up with a couple of other foreigners who were also doing the same.

So far the ID card has proved useful for ID purposes, for example, just this morning I sent an EMS package from the local post office. For a while now ID has been required for this service(packages). I handed over the Thai ID card.....job done, I didn't have my passport with me anyway.

However it's been most useful at my local government hospital, who changed their system earlier this year in that an ID card was required at the bill payment office. I should explain that I get free health care because my wife is a retired teacher and I am covered under her scheme. Now though if I did not have the ID card I would have to pay up front and claim it back from the Teachers Health Care office. Now all I do is hand over the bill and my ID card and the system simply prints me a receipt. So my number is clearly electronically linked to my wife's ID and the Teachers system.

I frequently visit local national parks but I always pay the foreigner price since I consider 100Baht(Tat Mok) and 200 Baht(Nam Nao) are a fair price to pay so I have not tried the ID card there.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, sumrit said:

When a non Thai, who doesn't have an ID number, obtains a Thai Driving Licence their passport number is printed on the licence for ID, but if they subsequently get a yellow book and use that to prove residence instead of a residence certificate and/or a pink card for ID instead of a passport, their allocated ID number replaces the passport number on the new licence.  

This didn't happen for me, I still have the passport number on my driver's license.

I used my yellow house book to renew it 5 years ago.

1 hour ago, thetefldon said:

Just to add my own experiences to this thread. I have both a pink ID card and a yellow house book.

The house book is used whenever I need to prove my address. Mostly with immigration(90 day and annual retirement renewal) but I recently opened a 2nd bank account and this was fine with my local branch of Kasikorn. They also accepted my Thai ID card but asked for my passport as well.

My ID card which was easy to obtain from my local Amphur Office(Phetchabun) because I already had the yellow book(which was also easy to get). Just made an appointment and turned up with a couple of other foreigners who were also doing the same.

So far the ID card has proved useful for ID purposes, for example, just this morning I sent an EMS package from the local post office. For a while now ID has been required for this service(packages). I handed over the Thai ID card.....job done, I didn't have my passport with me anyway.

However it's been most useful at my local government hospital, who changed their system earlier this year in that an ID card was required at the bill payment office. I should explain that I get free health care because my wife is a retired teacher and I am covered under her scheme. Now though if I did not have the ID card I would have to pay up front and claim it back from the Teachers Health Care office. Now all I do is hand over the bill and my ID card and the system simply prints me a receipt. So my number is clearly electronically linked to my wife's ID and the Teachers system.

I frequently visit local national parks but I always pay the foreigner price since I consider 100Baht(Tat Mok) and 200 Baht(Nam Nao) are a fair price to pay so I have not tried the ID card there.

For healthcare under the Thai civil servant scheme you should get a special ID-card for this purpose. The pink ID card is normally not accepted for this, but apparently your local hospital doesn't know this.  

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Preacher said:

For healthcare under the Thai civil servant scheme you should get a special ID-card for this purpose. The pink ID card is normally not accepted for this, but apparently your local hospital doesn't know this.  

Interesting, my wife, a retired teacher just uses her normal Thai ID card, she doesn't have another one as far as I am aware.

Edited by thetefldon

4 minutes ago, Preacher said:

There are so many false statements and misunderstandings on this topic.

You don't need this card to register with a hospital. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

I appreciate that, I registered some years ago and used my passport at the time. However the local hospital has changed it's system for payments and requires an ID card, I was told to get one, which I did and now I don't pay(the teachers health care scheme do)

My experience also. Major hassle to get the yellow tabian ban but once I had it, pink ID issued readily. All I had to show was the tabian ban and my passport.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, thetefldon said:

Interesting, my wife, a retired teacher just uses her normal Thai ID card, she doesn't have another one as far as I am aware.

Yes, your wife is a Thai national and therefor has no problems. She is registered with her Thai ID-number. You however are a foreigner and you should be registered at the local hospital with a number starting with the letter B followed bij 12 numbers. This number you got from the civil servants insurance. They need this number, that is why your passport or pink-ID card will not do.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Preacher said:

Yes, your wife is a Thai national and therefor has no problems. She is registered with her Thai ID-number. You however are a foreigner and you should be registered at the local hospital with a number starting with the letter B followed bij 12 numbers. This number you got from the civil servants insurance. They need this number, that is why your passport or pink-ID card will not do.

Yes I have my registration card and at the bottom is my ID card number(12 figures beginning with 6). The only other number on the card is my patient registration number I think,  this is 7 numbers. However at the payment office they swipe your ID card and never ask for the cardboard card with my patient number and ID card number on it. Clearly the system works. Getting back on track, a good reason to have an ID card in my case. Thanks for the info by the way.

Edited by thetefldon

34 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Many things are not wrong, they just differ. We should always keep in mind that procedures for the same task in different places in Thailand vary, this applies to all areas

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, thetefldon said:

Yes I have my registration card and at the bottom is my ID card number(12 figures beginning with 6). The only other number on the card is my patient registration number I think,  this is 7 numbers. However at the payment office they swipe your ID card and never ask for the cardboard card with my patient number and ID card number on it. Clearly the system works. Getting back on track, a good reason to have an ID card in my case. Thanks for the info by the way.

Do you mean the social security card number? Mine also starts with a 6(13 numbers) but not the same number as my non Thai ID(also 13 numbers).

I did perfectly well for 20 years with just the paper social security card.

2 hours ago, thetefldon said:

I assume you mean your non-Thai ID card.

16 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Do you mean the social security card number? Mine also starts with a 6(13 numbers) but not the same number as my non Thai ID(also 13 numbers).

I did perfectly well for 20 years with just the paper social security card.

As far as I know I don't have a social security number since I have never worked here. But my ID card has 13 numbers(can't count) beginning with 6 and this number is also on the bottom of my hospital card. Apologises for my miscount and any confusion I caused.

Edited by thetefldon

27 minutes ago, Preacher said:

A pink ID-card has no magnetic strip, so cannot be swiped.

Did you get your yellow ghousebook before you got married? That might explain why you are registered under your Thai ID-number and not under a number starting with a B.

My ID card does have a magnetic strip BUT is not chipped like a Thai nationals. Now I assume it is readable since I hand it over with the bill and get a receipt back. I got the house book after we married and subsequently my ID card. When I was in Thai Post this morning the guy used my ID card to verify ID for EMS I didn't look what he was doing but fairly sure he put it in a card reader. By the way I have never worked here if that makes any difference.

Edit: I just dug out my last electronic receipt from the hospital. Looks like what you would get if you used your bank card in a shop to pay for goods. Besides lots of other info it has my ID card number on it.

Edited by thetefldon

6 hours ago, Neeranam said:

This didn't happen for me, I still have the passport number on my driver's license.

I used my yellow house book to renew it 5 years ago.

Did you use your pink ID card or your passport for ID??

The number on your driving licence is your ID number' on the 'Identification document' you presented and that's where they take it from. 

The yellow book just replaces a residence certificate when renewing a driving licence.

I renewed mine two weeks ago and it has my ID number on it.