farang ID card

12 minutes ago, colinneil said:

Government hospitals are ok with the yellow book, if you have 1 it is acceptable.

If you are a paying. Not if the Gov is paying.

13 minutes ago, khwaibah said:

Not at my Gov hospital.

Does the Gov pay your hospital bill. If so you will need the pink card.

39 minutes ago, Jeffrey346 said:

If you are a paying. Not if the Gov is paying.

Does the Gov pay your hospital bill. If so you will need the pink card.

You are wrong my friend, government does pay my hospital bill.

Before 1st of may, yellow book/ pink id not required, now it is required.

Yellow book is perfectly acceptable, or pink id if you have 1.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, ocddave said:

Usually when I give ID, or visit Thai parks or attractions, I use the Pink Card and avoid any Falang pricing. So basically I like having it, it helps prove residency and separates you from the Tourists. Its not the end-all-be-all of existence, but I like having as much working in my favor as possible. So to each their own, but I like having it, and its not all that hard to get, so why not?

This.

+1.

And the Yellow House book.

Just relatively easy, cheap and pain free bits of paperwork that "can" make things that little bit easier in life.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

No it does not allow that.

Free (30Baht) health care is not automatically aligned to the pink card.

What is possible is that the farang concerned was a member of the Thai social security system through monthly deductions from his salary (in Thailand) and the employer was paying the company contributions.

When a foreigner resigns or employment contract runs out etc., the foreigner is entitled to get back all contribution the foreigner has paid to this fund and it's not difficult to get the refund. Upon refund membership of the Thai social security fund cancels.

But the foreigner can elect to remain in the fund and continue to make personal monthly contributions (I understand about 400Baht a month by bank transfer, and all benefits continue. But arranging to 'continue' must happen quickly and must happen before any refund of past contributions.

Or if the foreigner starts work again with another employer / same employer (work permit etc.,) a new membership can be started.

What you can't do is get the contributions refunded then re-join the fund alone, immediately or with any delay. This is not possible.

Also cannot just turn up (no previous membership at all / not worked in Thailand before) and join. Not possible.

There are also age limits for foreigners to start new membership through employment, but I don't know the details on this point.

• Like 2

I have a pink ID card which I have found has some limited uses.

As my driving licence expires in about a month I checked with the local office as to the current requirements here in Chiang Mai Province.

Although the card was issued by the District Office in the same town they will not accept it as proof of residence and require me to obtain a certificate from Immigration.

So if you think you can use it to get the 30 baht medical treatment.

Good Luck !

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, kwak250 said:

Am i missing something as i have opened several bank accounts over the years with just a passport although i have a marriage visa and never had a problem also bought a pick-up and it was in my name.

Yes, you are, have a look at for example this thread if you want to see which problems people can have when opening a bank account:

23 hours ago, jackdd said:

That's wrong

Might help, or maybe not, depends on the branch, definitely not makes it easy, the only document making it easy is a work permit

I don't see how a pink id card would help here

https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/1042093-pink-id-card-benefits/

A yellow book definitely helps with getting a bank account. 

10 minutes ago, jackdd said:

Yes, you are, have a look at for example this thread if you want to see which problems people can have when opening a bank account:

Bottom line with opening bank accounts - regardless of regulations issued by the Bank of Thailand and rules of the individual Thai banks, it's hit or miss if they will open an account for you, and not much you can do about it if banks won't open an account for you.

20 minutes ago, StevieAus said:

I have a pink ID card which I have found has some limited uses.

As my driving licence expires in about a month I checked with the local office as to the current requirements here in Chiang Mai Province.

Although the card was issued by the District Office in the same town they will not accept it as proof of residence and require me to obtain a certificate from Immigration.

So if you think you can use it to get the 30 baht medical treatment.

Good Luck !

If you have a Pink ID card, you will have a yellow book, which is definitely accepted in lieu of a Residence Certificate in all but a few cases. The Pink ID card on its own will not exempt you from getting a RC and DLT may not understand that you have a yellow book as the Pink ID card is typically issued to Burmese/Laos/Cambodian migrant workers without a yellow book

• Like 1

Just now, jmurch said:

It's worth much more than the plastic it's printed on. I used it at the Bangkok Rayong hospital instead of my passport. I'd already gotten the price of a MRI for my back for 16,000 baht but because I had the pink card they only charged me just over 13,000 including medicine.

So, an excellent return for a 60 baht investment then!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Bottom line with opening bank accounts - regardless of regulations issued by the Bank of Thailand and rules of the individual Thai banks, it's hit or miss if they will open an account for you, and not much you can do about it if banks won't open an account for you.

Bottom line.  It's very easy.  Look at the banking forum on Thai Visa.  Never read anyone who was not able to open an account following simple advice listed there.  Don't read the information and follow the advice it will be hit and miss. 

Pink card IS worth having .Have used it for checking into resorts,never like someone taking my passport into the back room to copy.Always been accepted and caused amusement to some.

Used it at Fang Hot Springs, paid Thai price 50 b not 500 baht for foreigners.

Does not cover 30 b hospital fee, might get you some priority. For 60 baht well worth having.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Even though it is only valid in the province in which it was issued, I use it all over Thailand for checking into hotel.

Only been refused once.....by Air Asia, on a domestic flight, despite the fact I was boarding a flight in my home province. They demanded to see my passport.

Edited by prakhonchai nick

13 minutes ago, prakhonchai nick said:

Even though it is only valid in the province in which it was issued, I use it all over Thailand for checking into hotel.

Only been refused once.....by Air Asia, on a domestic flight, despite the fact I was boarding a flight in my home province. They demanded to see my passport.

You can also use a Thai driving license for both of these

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

Bottom line.  It's very easy.  Look at the banking forum on Thai Visa.  Never read anyone who was not able to open an account following simple advice listed there.  Don't read the information and follow the advice it will be hit and miss. 

Agreed.

9 minutes ago, Geordieabroad said:

Apart from showing it instead of a passport at hotel checkin and paying Thai price at national parks, attractions etc. it's not much good for anything else

You should already consider you as lucky if you get all that!

Yellow Book or Pink ID Card will give you nothing at the 2 big water parks south of Pattaya :sad:

and their prices for aliens are rather high :ohmy:

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Geordieabroad said:

I've had a pink I.D. card for 3 years.

Apart from showing it instead of a passport at hotel checkin and paying Thai price at national parks, attractions etc. it's not much good for anything else

Just curiosity but has your ID card ever been rejected as a form of ID, and if so where??

For comparison, ask a Thai person how often they need to actually use their ID card and what they use it for.

4 minutes ago, Pattaya46 said:

You should already consider you as lucky if you get all that!

Yellow Book or Pink ID Card will give you nothing at the 2 big water parks south of Pattaya :sad:

and their prices for aliens are rather high :ohmy:

Never been to the water parks but you would definitely get the Thai price at the Nong Nooch Garden Centre just outside South Pattaya. Been there three times and used my Pink ID card each time.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, sumrit said:

// but you would definitely get the Thai price at the Nong Nooch Garden Centre just outside South Pattaya. Been there three times and used my Pink ID card each time.

But Nong Nooch is very easy:

I got Thai price entry with just my Thai Driving Licence. :smile: