Red Wine bargain in Phuket

xylophone

13 hours ago, xylophone said:

No I don't believe they do, because it clearly states it is "Tesco's finest" so in effect what they're basically saying is that it's a good wine from a mass marketing, mid to low range supermarket!

Did you actually read anything I said?

Edited by stuarty

31 minutes ago, stuarty said:

Did you actually read anything I said?

Yes, but if you think that having the silver sticker promoting "Tesco's Finest" fools anybody, then you are very wrong. I and others who post on here know full well what to expect, and it's NOT the finest wine at all, just the "finest" in a price bracket from a supermarket chain.

Your assertion that it, "Works especially well with gullible expats in locales such as Asia. QED on this forum", therefore lacks merit, as well as being insulting. And especially for you........"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you".

Hope that helps.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, schlog said:

I also really like winepro and need to go again. Would be great xylo if you could name your top 3 red wines from winepro after your testing.

Will do, my friend, although so far I've been disappointed with the first one I've tried which is a Chilean Reserva Cabernet Sauvignon, 2018 by Correa Lisoni.

Was quite looking forward to that because as a rule the "reserva" tag is used on the better wines, but this one was very disappointing, with little to no nose, and little in the way of tannins and fruit. In fact I would say it was "dead" before it was even bottled.

In fact I was so disappointed with it, the little I have left in the bottle I will put in the freezer to use in the cooking, and will try and Aussie wine tonight although that has a bit of a "chequered background" from what I can tell. I say this because when I was doing some research on it, notes from the vineyard itself said that it was 100% Cabernet Sauvignon, but they added some fruit to it???

I have sent them an email asking what they meant by that, but I do suspect that fruit has been added, but not in such an amount that it needs to be detailed on the label (as I recall from a long way back, wines in Australia can have up to 10 or 20% of another variety in them, without it being disclosed on the label), so it will be interesting to try that one tonight.

If that also turns out to be a dud, then I will be very disappointed indeed. However I will keep you informed of my findings.

• Thanks 1

On 5/15/2021 at 3:49 PM, xylophone said:

Jeez, there was none left when I looked the other day!! Was there much of it left??

Xylo at Lotus Thalang are still 10 bottles rioja in stock. Ask the alc girls because they are little bit hidden. Got before some bottles!

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, schlog said:

Xylo at Lotus Thalang are still 10 bottles rioja in stock. Ask the alc girls because they are little bit hidden. Got before some bottles!

Well Schlog, as soon I saw your email I quickly shot up to Tesco Lotus Thalang and arrived outside of their door at about 1:57 PM, so rushed into the wine area, which I couldn't find initially, managed to see the Rioja and loaded six bottles into my bag and actually ran down to the counter and plonked the wine in front of the cashier...........and she said " cannot do" and pointed to the fact it was 2 PM according to her, according to me there was about a minute to spare, and no amount of talking or persuading or talking to the supervisor helped me in any way, shape or form.

Of course I was angry having driven at breakneck speed from Patong, but there was nothing I could do apart from waiting till 5 PM which I wasn't prepared to do.

So I thought long and hard about it and suddenly remembered that I had tried it before and I wasn't overly enamoured with it, so consoled myself with the fact that I could spend the money I would have spent on a nine year old bottle of wine, on another one from Wine Pro instead, or even buy my favourite Hopes End, so all was not lost.

In fact, thinking even further, I was probably keen to buy it because of the price, rather than the quality of it, so I put today's trip down to a favour for my little Suzuki Swift, and in enabling me to get out of my apartment to do something different for a change.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, schlog said:

Thanks xylo for your great review.

Will go next monday to winepro and buy your wine 2/3/4.

Hoping to find also a good primitivo.

If you do find a good Primitivo, Schlog, reasonably priced, then please let me know as always on the lookout for a "good one".

• Like 1

3 hours ago, xylophone said:

If you do find a good Primitivo, Schlog, reasonably priced, then please let me know as always on the lookout for a "good one".

So I thought long and hard about it and suddenly remembered that I had tried it before and I wasn't overly enamoured with it, so consoled myself with the fact that I could spend the money I would have spent on a nine year old bottle of wine

A 9 year old Rioja at that price in Thailand, that's already cooking wine. How can you suddenly remember that a wine you had before is rubbish. Also I think you mean JJ McWilliams, maybe. They apologised for adding other fruit to their wine?  Mate they were sending it to Asia.  It's wine with other fruit juice, it's not to round it off.  There's no such thing.

You are an amiable but rank amateur.

36 minutes ago, stuarty said:

So I thought long and hard about it and suddenly remembered that I had tried it before and I wasn't overly enamoured with it, so consoled myself with the fact that I could spend the money I would have spent on a nine year old bottle of wine

A 9 year old Rioja at that price in Thailand, that's already cooking wine. How can you suddenly remember that a wine you had before is rubbish. Also I think you mean JJ McWilliams, maybe. They apologised for adding other fruit to their wine?  Mate they were sending it to Asia.  It's wine with other fruit juice, it's not to round it off.  There's no such thing.

I was timed out of edit but here's my full tirade.  Pay a bit more and get a lit more.  Even in Thailand

A 9 year old Rioja at that price in Thailand, that's already cooking wine. How can you suddenly remember that a wine you had before is rubbish. Also I think you mean JJ McWilliams, maybe. They apologised for adding other fruit to their wine?  Mate they were sending it to Asia.  It's wine with other fruit juice, it's not to "round it off".  You just made that up - There's no such thing.

Finally, as someone who worked in Tesco's marketing department, I'm almost sorry to say your naive view on the indication of a silver sticker declaring "Tesco's finest" as indicating an aspect of quality is just plain wrong.  It is a tool to push what they need to shift in larger volume  (at least in the wine section, if not in the food so much) and no indication of quality at all. But I get that you have very limited choice in Phuket  I would stick to Winepro and also take their advice ( I have no connection there but they know their stuff)

• Confused 2
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, stuarty said:

Also I think you mean JJ McWilliams, maybe. They apologised for adding other fruit to their wine?  Mate they were sending it to Asia. 

But, but, I like JJ McWilliams. I really like it. Oh, philistine, me.JJMcW_IMG_20210501_153740.thumb.jpg.42734b875420d0667c6590ef8ca9d53b.jpg

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, JetsetBkk said:

But, but, I like JJ McWilliams. I really like it. Oh, philistine, me.JJMcW_IMG_20210501_153740.thumb.jpg.42734b875420d0667c6590ef8ca9d53b.jpg

No that wine is OK and unpretentious if that's your price range and your bag, except it's worth paying a little more if you can afford it, for a significantly better wine . It's the silver sticker Tesco stuff I am railing against (and 9 year old Rioja that everyone seems to be rushing out to buy?!).

1 hour ago, JetsetBkk said:

I don't know where that poster got his information from, but to my knowledge JJ McWilliams do not add fruit (as in other than grapes) to their wines, and for the price it is a well produced wine.

Carry on enjoying it and ignore the posts from this bitter and twisted poster.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, schlog said:

Thanks xylo for your great review.

Will go next monday to winepro and buy your wine 2/3/4.

Hoping to find also a good primitivo.

I tried one more wine last night from Wine Pro, although I can't recommend it to you because I didn't think it was that special, and I bought it more as an experiment to see if the particular wine had improved over what it used to be.

The wine was a Carignan by Les Ormieres and wasn't expensive at 482 baht a bottle, and I was keen to try it after many years of not doing so.

You see the Carignan grape doesn't have a good reputation as it's a high yielding vine, which can be subject to many diseases and it was only propagated initially because of its high yield and ability to be able to add a little backbone to other wines in the south of France. In fact at one time it was one of the most highly planted grapes in France, until the French government ordered some of the vines to be pulled up because the low quality of the wine was not doing anything for the reputation of France.

There are some very old vines left and some winemakers choose to focus on those and make a wine, which I had tasted years ago and thought was "different". It is also added to other wines in the south of France, particularly in the Languedoc region, and it is sometimes added to the older varieties of Chateauneuf du Papes, but only in small quantities.

This one I found hard to pin down, but it was a fruity wine with soft tannins, but hard to wax lyrical about it.

I have got a Chianti and a Carmenere left to try, so will keep you informed.

• Thanks 1

topic for wine touts, their random recommendations and their alcoholic retinue here , it seems.........

suggest research and select your wine then locate stock in phuket......topic operates that in reverse....

i dont drink wine as it is 99% mass produced <deleted>.....one exception being Argentine Malbecs......

otherwise good only for getting liver disease from the alcohol and added sugars........

43 minutes ago, WhiteBuffaloATM said:

topic for wine touts, their random recommendations and their alcoholic retinue here , it seems.........

suggest research and select your wine then locate stock in phuket......topic operates that in reverse....

i dont drink wine as it is 99% mass produced <deleted>.....one exception being Argentine Malbecs......

otherwise good only for getting liver disease from the alcohol and added sugars........

A very strange post as just about all wine in the world is "mass produced"; that is thousands of litres are made at a time for distribution and sale around the world. And Argentinian Malbec's are no different.

There are strict regulations in wine producing countries as to what can be added as regards sugar, and if the wine producing countries do not adhere to these regulations, then the wine maker will be fined and have to abide by the rules.

I suggest you stick to your tea oops ( sorry, that is mass produced) or coffee (oops sorry that is mass produced) or whatever your little heart desires, but stay away from threads that are for grown-ups.

Edited by xylophone
  • Like 2

“strict regulations” , what bs, its not even real wine and you dont even comprehend the term “ mass production”, check your delusions and find out how your beloved “wine” is really produced ; in vast arrays of giant tanks, with low -grade, over-produced vines ( french originals destroyed by blight 150 years ago), colourants, additives, preservatives, very young or old grapes tossed in, water, gas, anything to meet production targets, little quality, all to give you gullible “wine experts” ( give me a break) what you want to see ( sense of taste / smell of real wine I suspect is not applicable)........

Argentine Malbecs are produced in very small batches by remote individual vineyards. privately owned,  to “ old school” high standards, from original french vines, with none of the above described process.....Its an example of proper wine, fool, which I said I do drink, high in minerals and anti-toxins. 

Lidl wines at 10 quid consistently beat 200 quid wines in blind testing, why ?

Because its nearly all total garbage & not real “wine” at all. 

you do realise your worthless puerile “taunts” are far from clever or funny; just embarassing yourself.....

from your unlettered literary efforts, I wonder if you even hold a junior high school Eng. Lang. cert........

I shall certainly now be happy to leave this worthless “topic” thread to the uneducated “ wine” lovers..

unless I am further encouraged of course.......

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, WhiteBuffaloATM said:

“strict regulations” , what bs, its not even real wine and you dont even comprehend the term “ mass production”, check your delusions and find out how your beloved “wine” is really produced ; in vast arrays of giant tanks, with low -grade, over-produced vines ( french originals destroyed by blight 150 years ago), colourants, additives, preservatives, very young or old grapes tossed in, water, gas, anything to meet production targets, little quality, all to give you gullible “wine experts” ( give me a break) what you want to see ( sense of taste / smell of real wine I suspect is not applicable)........

Argentine Malbecs are produced in very small batches by remote individual vineyards. privately owned,  to “ old school” high standards, from original french vines, with none of the above described process.....Its an example of proper wine, fool, which I said I do drink, high in minerals and anti-toxins. 

Lidl wines at 10 quid consistently beat 200 quid wines in blind testing, why ?

Because its nearly all total garbage & not real “wine” at all. 

you do realise your worthless puerile “taunts” are far from clever or funny; just embarassing yourself.....

from your unlettered literary efforts, I wonder if you even hold a junior high school Eng. Lang. cert........

I shall certainly now be happy to leave this worthless “topic” thread to the uneducated “ wine” lovers..

unless I am further encouraged of course.......

Clueless, uneducated, nonsense.

I would imagine you still drink Leibfraumilch...????

• Haha 2

Personally, I don't give a toss how a wine is produced, how much it costs, what the label looks like or whether it has a little sticker claiming it's won awards or is specially selected.

All I care about is whether I like it or not!

I was not long ago given an expensive bottle of chateauneuf du pape. It just wasn't to my taste. Give me a 450 baht Hope's End red blend over that one any day.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, madmitch said:

I was not long ago given an expensive bottle of chateauneuf du pape. It just wasn't to my taste. Give me a 450 baht Hope's End red blend over that one any day.

Good point mm, and have had the same experience and Hopes End is also one of my favourites, and must buy some more!! 

This after trying a Wine Pro selection, but then using a few favourites as a benchmark, of which Hopes End (red blend) is one.

1 hour ago, WhiteBuffaloATM said:
6 hours ago, madmitch said:

Having said that, I did enjoy the Chateauneuf du Papes given to me by the owner and winemaker of Domaine du Pegau, Mdme Laurence Feraud, on my visit, and much better than the one from Tesco!!!!!

4.jpg

• Like 1