Forty-two killed, more than 400 injured on first day of holiday

snoop1130

13 hours ago, NE1 said:

Doesn't anybody find it strange or weird that the death toll and accident figures are given out by the Tourism and Sports minister ? 

So what's the spin on these figures?

Surely not over inflated like TAT's tourist numbers. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Searat7 said:

How do they open extra lanes on highways ?  By letting drivers legally drive in breakdown lane ?  If so a very bad idea

They allow driving in the breakdown lane and the opposite lane, this way you can get three lanes of traffic to Isaan and one lane (driving on the side of the road) going towards Bangkok. Not too bad for a highway that is normally two lanes with shoulders. I live in Buriram and made the mistake of traveling to Bangkok on the first day of Songkran this last April to pick up some visitors from Hawaii. It took 3 and a half hours to travel what would normally take about an hour. We opted to go south to Chanthaburi/Rayong which was a good choice once we got past the heavy traffic zone. The traffic in Bangkok was very light though. I will never again drive during Songkran or the New Year.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, NE1 said:

Doesn't anybody find it strange or weird that the death toll and accident figures are given out by the Tourism and Sports minister ? 

So what's the spin on these figures?

Surely not over inflated like TAT's tourist numbers. 

1 hour ago, Thunder26 said:

I don't think it matters if it is a holiday or not. The toll death is the same as any other day of the year. It's not the holiday's fault, but the poor driving skills exerted by many Thai drivers.

You are quite right but a holiday is a handy excuse for the politicians and bureaucrats. In some ways holidays can have a positive indirect impact on the road toll. Holidays create traffic jams and highway congestion and slow downs where traffic has to proceed in an orderly manner at a relaxed pace. That might save a life or three.

What happened to that brilliant police initiative last year in handing out chicken essence to keep drivers alert? That's right up there with the nose inhaler brainfart.

https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/1017739-the-answer-to-road-carnage-bottles-of-chicken-extract-and-sleep-with-the-cops/

17 hours ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

42 dead, 432 injured - basically the same as every other day

Actually it is lower.  The latest WHO report put it at about 62 traffic fatalities per day.  First and last day of holidays are somewhat safer on the main highways because you are travelling much slower than normal.

15 hours ago, JAFO said:

I find it weird in general that this makes new headlines year in and year out and the same responses by the same members year in and year out.

I am waiting for the "Air in Chiang Mai is bad" thread with the same results...

Nexxxxxxxxxxxxt....

I have to agree its the same every year  only the figures change and not for the better

1 hour ago, Wallander4 said:

So 7 days of danger are more safe than rest of the year …. normally 60 people is killed per day

"are killed"...pathetic. When a third world country has no desire to curb all of these deaths(over and above the fault of drunk drivers), then you remain a 3rd world country. And rely on Farang's money to help your economy. Idiots.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

The Phoenix disguised...visitors to Thailand....Chinese tourists, etc. When will your embarrassing lack of ability to figure out "things"(Thailand) finally induce you to take action?

I am surprised that after the Phoenix,  the Chinese embassy even gives a go-ahead to whatever. And so....increased price for TM

16 hours ago, JAFO said:

I find it weird in general that this makes new headlines year in and year out and the same responses by the same members year in and year out.

Nexxxxxxxxxxxxt....

That and it is all the fault of the police...

Well in my local 7 11 is anything to go there will  plenty of drunk drivers , over half the back of the shop normally crisp etc  is now stacked with boxes of beer and it seems to flying out of the shop pretty quickly

• Like 1

16 hours ago, JAFO said:

Nexxxxxxxxxxxxt....

Yes the responses to the same old subject are the same old responses. I use to be entertained by the unrelenting verbal attacks on Thais but it is the same old stuff by the same old guys

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, nickmondo said:

one day, somebody in this country, in government, will finally realise that the reason for all of these crashes is that the Thai people are NOT taught to drive!!!!!!!!!!!

Its so simple to see this!

Why cant they?

As you all know, we have all had loads of instruction, and had to take written and practical exams before being allowed behind the wheel unsupervised.

Thai drivers are all unsupervised learners.

Blooming heck.  There has to be somebody in government with enough intelligence to grasp this simple concept!

Sorry  gov here is entitled morons nothing else they wouldn't  know what time of day it is, ...even the guy with the fancy watches, in fact especially the guy with fancy watches

35 minutes ago, Pattaya28 said:

NO.

Deaths far lower than the average daily death toll.

Average daily is 74 a day.

So I guess as usual, these stats are plucked from a monkeys' bottom.

As far as I'm aware, Thailand doesn't include post crash hospital deaths with road fatality statistics. 

• Like 1

The punishment should be much more severe 

driving under influence 

jail and fine confiscated vehicle for a year 

no license jail and train for driving 

cannot go out till test is passed

no helmets hit the idiots with a big hammer And seal a helmet on their empty heads 

for a month