Slaughter on the roads

rooster59

7 hours ago, mok199 said:

Nice pie chart,looks like they have it all figured out ....sorry, nothing will change.. we have selective law enforcement combined with lawless defiant drivers which leads to this endless cycle of carnage...but the good news is old  Prawit is man of the year...

Yes, they are very good (actually, not that good) at making graphics, playing dress up like professionals and posing for photos.

However no real progress on actually making any changes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I took a nice video of a Toyota driving down Highway 11 in the wrong direction.  The driver could have taken a left, traveled 500 meters, U-turned, driven a kilometer, U-turn and been where they final turned off the road.  Instead, they drove that 400 meters the wrong way: stop the car, wait for traffic to clear, drive 50 meters, stop the car, wait for traffic to clear, drive 50 meters....
It was entertaining but stupid.

I drive here now.  I hate driving in Thailand.  The drivers are so aggressive.  Oncoming traffic merges onto your lane.  I think there is no training and maybe some deep down saving face mentality to always pass even in parking lots.  I just don't understand why everyone is in such a hurry.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, mercman24 said:

has anyone ever seen a scooter rider, stopping/ looking out for traffic, when shooting out of a junction, in  my years i here have yet to see one.. and why the hell dont they cancel their indicators, i can go out today, and on a short journey you can gaurantee i wil see 3 or 4 with their indicators still flashing

cancel their indicator,,,  down here one be lucky to see one turned on.

10 hours ago, mercman24 said:

has anyone ever seen a scooter rider, stopping/ looking out for traffic, when shooting out of a junction, in  my years i here have yet to see one.. and why the hell dont they cancel their indicators, i can go out today, and on a short journey you can gaurantee i wil see 3 or 4 with their indicators still flashing

Scooter drivers in their mindset think that the other road users who are bigger (cars,trucks) are supposed to look out for them instead and have their welfare in consideration. But when things go south, they are the ones paying the price . Seen similar mindset in china too. 

10 hours ago, mercman24 said:

IMHO that scooter move you just described is one of the most dangerous actions on the roads today...it is absolutely disgusting how often it happens ...

6 hours ago, pieeyed said:

You a red light and the next thing you see is a big cloud of smoke as the drivers floor it to run a red light. Then you have the numpty's who take off before the light turns green. They very often meet each other in the intersection.

But, you don't understand. It has nothing to do with what you said. It is fate. It cannot be influenced, except for having the proper Thai Amulet or Thai Tatoo. Has to be Thai, too. Can't be any other country's stuff. 

1 hour ago, Ctkong said:

Scooter drivers in their mindset think that the other road users who are bigger (cars,trucks) are supposed to look out for them instead and have their welfare in consideration. But when things go south, they are the ones paying the price . Seen similar mindset in china too. 

Best compilation on Thai driving idiocy I've seen and confirms what you say. 

http://www.chiangmailocator.com/wiki-traffic-rules-in-thailand-and-how-to-avoid-traffic-accidents-p169

Screenshot_20181229-212255_Chrome.thumb.jpg.cab20239ea88974a926da91bc33afe34.jpg

• Like 2

14 hours ago, flyingtlger said:

Thailand will never get their act together as far as regulating and maintaining proper driving rules and etiquette.

The system is way too corrupt and out of control.  

It's like gun control in America...it'll never happen.

They will get guns under control in the USA before Thailand regulates their roads. Thailand can’t do anything until it rebuilds the police force to have actual police. And that’s not happening in your grandchildren’s lifetime. Maybe a few more generations more. They are too primitive mentally and too corrupt to have any lasting progress. 

• Like 1

As said many posters all these morons of Thais can't bother to put a helmet. They could at least try to take example on us, the farangs. For we at least  respect the laws, we are not so stupid as these idiots of Thais  ????

December 29.jpeg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tchooptip said:

As said many posters all these morons of Thais can't bother to put a helmet. They could at least try to take example on us, the farangs. For we at least  respect the laws, we are not so stupid as these idiots of Thais  ????

December 29.jpeg

The main reason that is there is it is quite unusual to see, you can go onto any road at any time of day or night and see untold number of the locals doing this and much worse

Some things you just cannot hide and yep there are cretins all over the world but Thailand is really, really good at doing stupid stuff that kills thousands of their countrymen every year

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, mark131v said:

The main reason that is there is it is quite unusual to see, you can go onto any road at any time of day or night and see untold number of the locals doing this and much worse

Some things you just cannot hide and yep there are cretins all over the world but Thailand is really, really good at doing stupid stuff that kills thousands of their countrymen every year

Quite unusual????? Are you joking?

in Samui most of the tourists, expats included never ever drive with a helmet, or let's say more than 50%  for sure? 

And I am more afraid on the roads by the young tourists on their motorbikes, incapable as they are of not overtaking everyone and all the time, I am in Samui full time for seven years and by the way I took this picture tonight, I was not overtaking them, it was the contrary since I suppose you will doubt it:smile:  here is the second picture.

IMG_3249.jpeg

• Like 2

19 hours ago, robblok said:

I doubt the diagram above is correct. I believe these are absolute number total per year NOT per 100.000 population. Because that would mean 20% of the population would die in a year of a traffic accident. Plus just look at the deaths on the dangerous days you dont get high enough to even get close to the numbers it should be. 

( 65.000.000 / 100.000 ) x 22,491  that would mean 14,5 million people dying. That is 40.052 per day... that is not happening. So an other fail in the Thai media in critical checking of their diagrams. 

WOW!!! Hey robblok nobody can get one past you!!!

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Tchooptip said:

December 29.jpeg

What laws? 

No one follows laws here. That’s the problem. Nothing to do with helmets and everything to do with poor driving skills, drunk driving, risk taking, face, and their ridiculous belief in fate.

The BKK post reported (via a poll) 30% of them drive the way they drive because of their belief of fate! That’s 3 out of 10 people on the road for you dummies who can’t count. 3 out of 10 Thais on the road don’t stop at lights, jump lights, speed, go the wrong way, and drive drunk because they believe fate has it all planned for them and not their own actions.

Then add all the others and the dumb things they do on top of that.

Sure, a helmet might save a few lives but in the grand scheme of the carnage on the road here, it’s peeing in the wind. And laws? ????

11 hours ago, Tchooptip said:

in Samui most of the tourists, expats included never ever drive with a helmet, or let's say more than 50%  for sure? 

And I am more afraid on the roads by the young tourists on their motorbikes, incapable as they are of not overtaking everyone and all the time, I am in Samui full time for seven years and by the way I took this picture tonight, I was not overtaking them, it was the contrary since I suppose you will doubt it:smile:  here is the second picture.

IMG_3249.jpeg

How many foreigners die on the roads here of their own fault?

They all make the news so they should be easy to find.

Go on and count them, I’ll wait.

Taking a risk doesn’t mean you’re a complete imbecile who drives like they literally want to die. The difference between the two is enormous. Everyone takes risks. That’s life. Thais on wheels are deadly idiots who die by the thousands. Thankfully, we have years and years of data to back this up.

• Like 1

On 12/29/2018 at 12:18 PM, Psimbo said:

I don't understand why people on here get so beat up about this. The Thais don't give a toss about it, why should we. Just chill.

Ask my Thai in-laws if they give a toss about their eldest teenage son being dragged along under a car by a drunk driver after he stopped to help at the scene of a previous accident and was in ICU for a week before his life support was switched off.

4 minutes ago, edwinchester said:

Ask my Thai in-laws if they give a toss about their eldest teenage son being dragged along under a car by a drunk driver after he stopped to help at the scene of a previous accident and was in ICU for a week before his life support was switched off.

If he hadn't stopped to help, he would still be alive and well.

In Thailand best to mind your own business.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Tchooptip said:

IMG_3249.jpeg

Lets be honest, if your that dumb to ride with out a crash hat.

why should anyone care about you. 

Reminds me of an old beatles song

Strawberry jam forever. :thumbsup:

Edited by stanleycoin