463 die in New Year crashes

webfact

19 hours ago, Misterwhisper said:

Not to mention overtaking on hills, driving on the wrong side of the road and against oncoming traffic, making u-turns where they are not allowed, turning onto main roads without looking left or right, blatantly disregarding any and all speed limits, "forgetting" to set the indicator before swerving or turning, checking social media messages or make-up/hairdo and taking phone calls while behind the wheel, driving at night without lights turned on, running red lights, disregarding any road signage, tailgating and keeping no safety distance whatsoever and regardless of traveling speed, and, and, and.

In the land of (vacuous) smiling recalsatrants, road safety means nothing and driver courtesy means even less.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Benroon said:

all the doctors,

A friend of mine had a heart attack and it was diagnosed as indigestion. Someone he was with who didn't qualify as a doctor by buying a white coat realised that was nonsense and took him to another hospital where his life was saved.
I suffered for several days from 'throwing up' at both ends and it was diagnosed as bronchitis - after I had mysteriously received a scan used on pregnant women. As I progressively got worse I was taken to another hospital where I told that I was suffering from severe food poisoning and would have been dead in two days.

So don't talk to me about Thai doctors.

But all that is off-subject. Instead of sarcastically dismissing what I wrote, what do you blame the astronomical death and accident rate on, and what is your solution? I doubt that there is a single family in Thailand who does not know of someone killed or seriously injured on the roads, which is quite incredible. My own wife saw someone killed in front of her last week. Other times a sister was killed and her brother seriously injured when he was hit by a car while waiting to make a right turn.

No wonder, when so many people drive here as if they're playing a computer game. Which in their mind they probably are.

3 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

But who will train the trainers? Nothing will change for generations, as it not only requires driver training which is hard, and Thais do not do hard, but a culture change from Me First and the instilling of common sense. Common sense is born out of questioning and therefore properly understanding anything, and that is beaten out of kids from an early age by the schools.
So, no hope of any change soon. Basically, the entire mindset of the country needs a reboot and to start from scratch, doing away with face and selfishness and developing the skill to think instead of mindlessly obey.

I think you have nailed it there,Thai's don't do hard and don't like thinking further or about more than food,gossip and sanook,if i try to talk to my wife on the rare occasion she is not yelling down the phone,for instance about our relationship all i get is "why you think to much" if she does she tells me she get's a headache. I try to explain that we are brought up to think,and question things,and we are more able to see the consequences of our actions,she just sighs and goes silent. This is mostly the Thai mentality,along as you say with face,and the appaling education system which as you say does all it can to oppose critical thinking. Having lived in many parts of the world,all nationalities have their quirks,but why is Thailand so far behind most of the rest of SE Asia when it comes to common sense,those countries share many cultural trait's yet have been able to step outside of them,much as i hate to say it,Thailand is the only country in the region not colonised,surely this must play a part. As for your summary i am afraid i cannot ever see the country changing,nor the people's mindset,i do not see a rosy future at all for this country.

22 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Hardly surprising. My trip back to Chiang Mai from Chiang Rai yesterday had at least a dozen occasions of drivers overtaking on blind curves. It's almost like they have a death wish.

It's not a death wish, it is solely the vacuum between the ears. 

21 hours ago, mark131v said:

A Boeing 747 a week, week on week year on year

Darwinism in action but good to see they are still making excuses rather than trying to sort it out, speaks volumes....

The problem with your Darwinism comment is, a lot of INNOCENT people also get killed and injured as a result of the actions of the stupid / drunk / drugged / speeding etc etc...  

Just now, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

The problem with your Darwinism comment is, a lot of INNOCENT people also get killed and injured as a result of the actions of the stupid / drunk / drugged / speeding etc etc...  

Life isn’t fair. We learned that at a young age.

I used to need a morning pick me up before getting into the car. Something I'm not proud of.
I kicked a sober driver out of the truck seat. She had volunteered to be the sober driver. She's blind as a bat without specs, which she doesn't wear. She scared me half to death.

Sent from my SMART 4G GEN C 5.0 using Tapatalk

On 1/3/2019 at 3:08 PM, webfact said:

A total of 463 people died and 3,892 others were wounded in 3,791 road accidents

It sounds more like a war report.  3892 wounded Thais during the 7 day New Years Thai Road Warriors kill-fest!  That's just about right.

On 1/3/2019 at 3:22 PM, Lacessit said:

Hardly surprising. My trip back to Chiang Mai from Chiang Rai yesterday had at least a dozen occasions of drivers overtaking on blind curves. It's almost like they have a death wish.

Really they don't have a clue and no patience. Road rules what are they? Most important the police is just a bloody joke Carry on Thais dying is fun 

5 hours ago, Sal Moley said:

I had a guy on his motorbike stop in front of me on Cha-am Beach road to answer his cell phone! 

Thailand needs to develop a motorcycle traffic police force with radar guns to catch speeders and other riders breaking the law. The only way to change things is to crack down hard.

Years ago I was outside of Udon Thani at about 7.30a.m. I was a passenger in a car at a set of traffic lights, in the fast lane behind a police pick-up on highway two .The lights changed to green.The cop ,who was alone, drove through the green light about 30 meteres and stopped.A sat as though comatose. We waited behind him for a minute then got around him.He hadn't moved as we drove out of sight.My theory is he had been at a traffic stop further down the road,[which there had been] got pissed was driving home and blacked out,unconcious

I just wonder what is the tipping point where they say enough is enough, Im worried it will be very very high as they dont seem worried at all, I know in Australia the tipping point was reached and all hell broke loose with all sorts of actions taken to cut the road toll(now all the good old boys call them actions nanny state, well maybe they dont remember how high those figures were), because Im sure people at the time in Oz said they are just too dumb to think of what drink driving was doing and that the roads will never get better(they have some but need more), so I hope here the tipping point here is reached without too many more innocent lives lost.

Archived