463 die in New Year crashes

webfact

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, HiSoLowSoNoSo said:

There were 410 dead after the 6th day reported and another 104 reported dead on Jan 1, how can that add up to 463?

because many 'journalists' here rely on cutting and pasting from facebook and other social media for their stories. fact checking and/or investigating is too much like hard work.

There were 410 dead after the 6th day reported and another 104 reported dead on Jan 1, how can that add up to 463?
Diane Abbot is in charge of the maths dept.

Sent from my SMART 4G GEN C 5.0 using Tapatalk

14 hours ago, ChipButty said:

My daughter reckons Im a good driver when Im pissed

I do understand, same here, or as Dire Straits put it: 
Last time I was sober, man, I felt so bad, worst hangover that I ever had..

???? ????‍♀️ ????‍♀️ ????‍♀️ ????‍♀️ ????‍♀️ ????‍♀️ ????‍♀️ ????‍♀️ ????

30 minutes ago, samsensam said:

because many 'journalists' here rely on cutting and pasting from facebook and other social media for their stories. fact checking and/or investigating is too much like hard work.

you may skip the "hard"

32 minutes ago, Rugon said:

This is actually not much more than the average of 66 deaths per day. Why a good result for New Year. 

They have actually never presented any evidence that new years have increased deaths.. yet they keep doing the same stupid measures every year with identical results... Incompetence is real..

18 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Hardly surprising. My trip back to Chiang Mai from Chiang Rai yesterday had at least a dozen occasions of drivers overtaking on blind curves. It's almost like they have a death wish.

It wouldnt bother me if it was only themselves they placed at risk, but every one of those nutters is likely to take out 2-3 other cars when they finally run out of luck going 150KPH. ????

19 hours ago, webfact said:

41,473 motorists who failed to produce a driver's licence and 46,284 motorcyclists were stopped for riding without helmets

I wonder what the statistics would be if these checks were carried out for 365 days of the year, probably be in the minions or is that millions

Image result for picture of minion driving

17 hours ago, Misterwhisper said:

Not to mention overtaking on hills, driving on the wrong side of the road and against oncoming traffic, making u-turns where they are not allowed, turning onto main roads without looking left or right, blatantly disregarding any and all speed limits, "forgetting" to set the indicator before swerving or turning, checking social media messages or make-up/hairdo and taking phone calls while behind the wheel, driving at night without lights turned on, running red lights, disregarding any road signage, tailgating and keeping no safety distance whatsoever and regardless of traveling speed, and, and, and.

The Interior Ministry may "campaign for driving discipline" as much as it wants. Nothing will change in the road carnage statistics unless comprehensive driver training is introduced and consistently applied, as well as punishments for erroneous driving/DUI/driving without license/etc. drastically increased and meted out without leniency.  

All that and getting the force out their and apply the law, 24/7

17 hours ago, Misterwhisper said:

unless comprehensive driver training is introduced

But who will train the trainers? Nothing will change for generations, as it not only requires driver training which is hard, and Thais do not do hard, but a culture change from Me First and the instilling of common sense. Common sense is born out of questioning and therefore properly understanding anything, and that is beaten out of kids from an early age by the schools.
So, no hope of any change soon. Basically, the entire mindset of the country needs a reboot and to start from scratch, doing away with face and selfishness and developing the skill to think instead of mindlessly obey.

Just returned from a 350 Km trip last evening.

Drunk driving ????...... they don't need to be drunk to be a danger to themselves & others.

I am sure 50% of pickup drivers have a death wish.

It will never change until they get mufti cops out on the road actually seeing what goes on,

Roadblocks do little, most behave until past them

11 minutes ago, Benroon said:

No exceptions, all the doctors, architects,scientists etc all need to bow to Bangkok Barry’s professional assessment of their shortcomings.

They turn into drooling imbeciles when behind the wheel too. I’ve had more close calls with luxury cars than anything else, they literally think they own the road.

Having a higher social status and a nice car is a dangerous combination here.

Nobody, and I mean nobody takes the police seriously. So, there is absolutely nothing in the way of a deterrent here, and both the local governments, the central government (weak Little P.) and the police do not take traffic safety seriously. Not even one iota. The safety of the public means less than zero to the small men in charge here. Nothing. They show that on a daily basis.

They will not do a thing. Why? They do not care about the people one iota. Not the common people. Not the average pleb. No way. Never have cared, and may never care in the future. It is all about protecting the elite, the super wealthy, those that are connected, and those in power. The rest of the population? They do not matter. The ex-pat community does not matter. And the police will not get involved unless an accident has already occurred. There is no prevention. None. The idea of getting the police more involved, is an interesting one, and it would be an effective one. But, the issue is money. They are grossly underpaid, and until the government steps up, and spends the trillion baht on updating the police equipment, and paying each cop a living wage, it is not going to happen. Until then, they will just work the franchise. 

The only way to survive here on the road, is to be patient, have eyes in the back of your head, drive with caution, and always, and I mean always watch out of the other guy. Chances are, he does not have much driving skill, nor patience, nor reason, nor common sense. You cannot be too careful on the road here. Especially considering that the toy police offer no traffic safety, nor enforcement of the law. All the checkpoints do is clog traffic on the highways, and put alot of cash into the pockets of the toy police. It is all about catching people performing moving violations. That is what causes most accidents. And herein lies the deterrent. As long as everyone is allowed to get away with extremely reckless driving, entering the highway in front of an oncoming vehicle that is only 100 meters away, going 100kph, cutting in front of vehicles within one meter at high speeds, swerving like crazy idiots all over the highway, trucks and 40 year old cars occupying the fast lane doing 40kph, when other vehicles are approaching doing 120kph, drunk driving, etc, accidents, major injuries and deaths will continue to happen, and no amount of rhetoric and platitudes by the fabulously incompetent and insincere authorities are going to make any difference. 

If ex-pats, tourists, and locals followed these basic rules, many lives would not needlessly be lost.

The police are not here to protect you. They do not care one iota about your well being, your safety, or traffic safety. Expect that. Do not employ them, unless absolutely necessary. 

If driving, especially on a motorbike, treat the activity as an act of war, in a sense that you may be mowed down or killed at any moment. Whether you are in a car, truck, or especially on a bike, maintain eyes in the back of your head. Watch everyone. Expect craziness, insanity, lack of reason, and a complete lack of courtesy and respect on the roads, at all times. 

Expect cars and trucks to be coming at you in the wrong lane. Expect people to overtake you with the slimmest of margins. 

Expect trucks to be driving very slowly in the fast lane of a highway. 

If riding a motorbike, only do so if you have many years of experience. Especially on the southern islands, where huge numbers of foreigners leave Thailand in a wooden box. Wear the best helmet you can afford. And drive like a grandmother. This applies to ex-pats too. Bring along an international drivers license, or better yet use a Thai drivers license. This helps you to avoid being fleeced by the local police franchisee.

I had a guy on his motorbike stop in front of me on Cha-am Beach road to answer his cell phone! 

Thailand needs to develop a motorcycle traffic police force with radar guns to catch speeders and other riders breaking the law. The only way to change things is to crack down hard.

2 hours ago, HiSoLowSoNoSo said:

I have thought for a long time that these Thai calculators had something wrong with them.

3 minutes ago, Sal Moley said:

I had a guy on his motorbike stop in front of me on Cha-am Beach road to answer his cell phone! 

Thailand needs to develop a motorcycle traffic police force with radar guns to catch speeders and other riders breaking the law. The only way to change things is to crack down hard.

A couple of points; at least the rider did stop. On many occasions they just ride one-handed, whilst chatting on the phone.

The police, in any shape or form, do not want anything changed.

IMO, the way to change starts at the 6/7/8 year old time. And, it's not just the roads, it's safety awareness in general.

Two children were recently knocked down outside my daughter's school by a motorbike. They were on a pedestrian crossing. The bike rider; a 12-year-old from the next school along.

If he stopped, then he committed no offence, keep your distance, don't tailgate.

Ps,

There's always some sort of 'crack down,' don't last long, so best ignore them.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Archived