One year visa extension vs one year visa extension

If you are both over 50 year old, and either married to a Thai, or having a Thai child, then once you get a non O visa, you can either apply for a one year extension based on retirement, or based on having Thai family.

The difference is that in the first case you have to show 800,000 baht which have been on your account for 3 months prior, while in the second case you only need to show 400,000 baht without the 3 months requirement.

Why then would someone in such a position chose the retirement extension over the family extension?

Are there specific advantages, or disavantages, in chosing one over the other?

They really are very similar. One main difference is the required documention for the married extension. Photo, you and wife at home, inside outside, some offices want photo of you sitting on the bed ????????. Maybe a witness required to be there and they might do a visit and ask neighbours about you.

Retirement, 800,000 route is easier, not so many documents.

If fact if you have 800,000 + in the bank and apply for a married extension some Imm' offices will just say 'go for retirement option' easier and less work for then to do.

????

Yes, less bureaucratic hokum on the retirement route plus it's self-service, (mostly) same-day so the wife and witnesses aren't needed. Another -ve for the marriage route is the possibility that the 400k needs to remain untouched for a further 30-days during the 'approval' process and, with regard to a post in another thread today, even longer at CW where a member reports being given a 2nd, 30-day deferment. So possibly 60-days before he can get the stamps in the passport and blow the wedge.

Edited by NanLaew

2 hours ago, Brunolem said:

Why then would someone in such a position chose the retirement extension over the family extension? 

I am exactly in this position.

I (still) live on savings and have to have a significant financial buffer in the country anyway.

All I need for extension is a bank letter/book, xx copies/application form (most same same last year) and drive to immigration. About 30 min later I am out with the extension (fate saved me from Chaeng Wattana being my office :biggrin:).

The 30 day under consideration period (sending to Bangkok) alone would be reason enough to keep it the retirement way (30 days where you hopefully have no urge to leave the country etc.).

If the Euro nosedives further I might be forced to rethink in 3 years or so. But even than I would hopefully be able to do the combination method (income certificate plus bank deposit).

Edited by KhunBENQ

4 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

I am exactly in this position.

I (still) live on savings and have to have a significant financial buffer in the country anyway.

All I need for extension is a bank letter/book, xx copies/application form (most same same last year) and drive to immigration. About 30 min later I am out with the extension.

The 30 day under consideration period (sending to Bangkok) alone would be reason enough to keep it the retirement way (30 days where you hopefully have no urge to leave the country etc.).

If the Euro nosedives further I might be forced to rethink in 3 years or so.

Your location is listed as Khon Kaen. That would mean that your application, if based on marriage, would not be sent to Bangkok but rather stay and be approved in Khon Kaen, as that is now the head office of Area 4.

7 minutes ago, youreavinalaff said:

Your location is listed as Khon Kaen. That would mean that your application, if based on marriage, would not be sent to Bangkok but rather stay and be approved in Khon Kaen, as that is now the head office of Area 4.

Thanks for the clarification. I was aware that they are now head of area 4 but not about the effect to marriage extension.

10 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

No all applications are sent to Bangkok. They are sent to regional division headquarters for approval that the office you apply at is under:

Division 4 for the the NE is located in Khon Kaen. 

You can get a re-entry permit for the under consideration period,

On 1/4/2019 at 4:36 PM, Brunolem said:

In my case I couldn't cope with waiting a month or longer for the marriage extension? I would need to report back by a certain day several weeks later to get the marriage  extension, whilst retirement I get it same day and can fly anywhere around the world after that for other commitments etc.

• Like 1

On 1/4/2019 at 7:58 PM, ubonjoe said:

No all applications are sent to Bangkok. They are sent to regional division headquarters for approval that the office you apply at is under:

Division 4 for the the NE is located in Khon Kaen. 

You can get a re-entry permit for the under consideration period,

Is this waiting period for approval imposed only the first time you apply, or do you have to go through this process every year when you ask to renew your extension? 

On 1/4/2019 at 5:23 PM, ubonjoe said:

If applying for being the parent of a Thai there is no requirement for it to be in the bank for 2 months but some offices still want it.

As the parent of a Thai, do I have to go through the same approval (vetting) process as in the case of marriage with a Thai? 

1 hour ago, Brunolem said:

Is this waiting period for approval imposed only the first time you apply, or do you have to go through this process every year when you ask to renew your extension? 

It is the same every year.

1 hour ago, Brunolem said:

As the parent of a Thai, do I have to go through the same approval (vetting) process as in the case of marriage with a Thai?

It will have to be approved by the division headquarters for region where you are living which is the same as extensions based upon marriage.

• Like 1