need to stop violent village resident - absolutely no help from police

henry2109

We have got a serious problem with a violent woman in our village - gated village with security, 48 houses. It started some years ago with the woman walking her 3 dogs in the park (our common aera) getting nasty and rude. She sometimes insulted other residents, often in a very vulgar way.

She is about 60 years old, lives alone (her boyfriend left 3 years ago), has no relatives that she has contact with and no friends. I think she has serious mental issues and/or is bipolar.

Last year,  it went on from verbal attacks to physical attacks. The last 5 weeks we had 4 incidents:

1) She attacked the security guard with a chair. The cause was that a delivery from Kerry was not accepted by the guard. This was the guards mistake, but shurely no reason for a physical attack.

2) Because she felt the neighbour resident is too loud (which was not the case, she is just jellous that he had guests, while she does not), she started throwing about 10 stones (up to fist size) and dog shit over the fence wall to the neighbours house. The neighbour has small kids, which she scared succesfully.

3) Since she stopped paying maintenance and water fee, the committee decided to cut her water supply off by taking away the water meter. So 6 people from the village went to her house to take off the meter. She has been warned about this 2 times. She went outside and attacked the people. First she grabed another woman from behind, on her hair, and smashed her around, to the ground. Then she went inside, and came back with a big scissor, and went after everbody, so all the people scattered apart and run home. The lady that was smashed to the ground had to go to the hospital. Bill so far over 3'000 Baht.

4) While a resident was driving his bycicle around the village street, she came out with her motorbike, stopped, took a knife out of the motorbike, and attacked him. We shouted to her, stepped back, run to the entrance gate, and was attacked by the crazy woman a second time. The resident could protect himself by holding the bycicle in front of his body, and some help from the security guard. No physical harm done.

Between and after these incidents, she threatened about 5 residents with dead, and now always has a bag with a knife in it, when walking her dogs.

The residents think that she belongs to a closed facility, she is homicidal, and not able to take care of her own affairs in a proper way.

The police has been called after the incidents 2, 3 and 4, but is not only not interested at all, but does not give a shit. "We can do nothing" or "it is a village matter". They do not even want to look on the videos, where the attacks happen. They wait until someone gets killed or seriously hurt.

The residents have been to the local police station, afterwards to the communal police station. The big boss there also told us that he cannot do something else that fine the woman with 5'000 Baht for the incident 3.

After incident 2, we payed a police offer 1'000 Baht to speak with the crazy woman. She confessed to the incident, and told him to stop throwing stones. That was it. Nothing else happend. Speaking with her does not help or change anything.

Since we are scared for our families, we want to have some action done. This problem is not going away, it is rather getting worse.

We tried to escalate it with the police via a self-proclaimed influencal thai. So finally today 2 police officers from the provincial police came to ours village office, with the same result. Not interested at all, not even trying to get the facts, nothing done. Later, a journalist was called in to bring the story on local tv. Again 5000 Baht paid. Result? Will the police get pressure and act? Not likely.

Accepting that this country has a dysfunctional juristique system, and the police is totaly useless, the question remains: What can be done to stop her? 

• Like 1

I think you need to get a psychiatrist involved somehow, they will know the procedure to have someone committed and be able to advise you on how to proceed.

I will refer you to this reply to a post from a couple of years back :

Edited by ukrules

19 minutes ago, Hugh Jarse said:

Report it to the Headman/woman of the district who will know how best to deal with this very serious problem . Social services will need to be called upon to prevent further threats to human life and threats to the woman who is ,it seems, is likely to be attacked herself by other disgruntled neighbors. Good luck ; a most ghastly situation for anyone to have to try and deal with.

Thanks, good post. Will do.

2 minutes ago, ukrules said:

I think you need to get a psychiatrist involved somehow, they will know the procedure to have someone committed and be able to advise you on how to proceed.

2 minutes ago, ukrules said:

Very good note. Does anybody by chance know a psychiatrist in Pattaya with good knowledge of english?

As mentioned, talk to the head of your village. Encourage all parties involved to do the same (though many may decline to do so). The heads are the ones that handle matters like this.

If you have not already, start recording her behavior with your phone (in public areas, or from your private property) because if you make damning claims about this individual without any evidence, it could be construed as defamation, if I'm not mistaken. Can you set up and camouflage a wide-angle camera on your property to record any potential damages or assault?

Edited by ChokDee4213

11 hours ago, sirineou said:

We had a neighbor that had chickens, his chickens will so run all over the place because he did not have a good fence, sometimes they will come  over our fence and our dogs will go after them and sometimes kill the chicken. When I was not there (I an often away as I work overseas) the owner of the chickens will demand payment from my wife.

I Got a police red box for our house.

Image may contain: house, sky and outdoor

Costs about $20 a month and they come over and sign in several times a week. When I am there I invite them in and offer them a cold beverage and pleasant conversation. We also often contribute (small money) to police functions. 

Let me just say, problem solved not a pip from the neighbor again, or anyone else in the neighborhood.

I am not sure if such an arrangement would help in your situation, but it would not hurt.  

Well done Henry.

This is how to get everything done in Thailand.

Unless of course the guy with the chickens holds a higher rank.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, henry2109 said:

Very good note. Does anybody by chance know a psychiatrist in Pattaya with good knowledge of english?

I'm not sure that any psychiatrist in the world has a good understanding of English.  :cheesy:

• Haha 2

16 minutes ago, car720 said:

I'm not sure that any psychiatrist in the world has a good understanding of English.  :cheesy:

if anyone could understand the English it would be a psychiatrist :tongue:

Edited by sirineou
typo

49 minutes ago, VYCM said:

If she stops paying water isn't it the Water Company that takes away the water meter?

I understand most Condominium Management charge for water usage, not housing estates. 

I too live in a gated estate in Pattaya. Water company removes meter for non payment. Nothing to do with committee.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, VYCM said:

If she stops paying water isn't it the Water Company that takes away the water meter?

I understand most Condominium Management charge for water usage, not housing estates. 

You would think if she was such a menace that required 6 of them to go over, they would have half an ounce of brain between the 6 of them to go do it quietly at night or late evening but it seems making her angry is their primary goal, not to mention illegal for them to remove her water meters as you correctly pointed out it’s PAPA responsibility not the village management.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, ukrules said:

We had a young woman like that in our village, she was committed involuntarily but I don't know how that was achieved officially, the pu yai's wife with a lady friend invited her to go with them to a 'party' by car, when they reached the mental facility the men in white coats were already waiting for her outside with a straight jacket which was apparently needed to get her inside.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, VYCM said:

Presumably this village has a single water tank/supply (which may or may not be PWA water) that is then distributed internally and re-billed to individual owners.