Australian Embassy - residence address for opening bank account

This morning I arrived at the OzEmb, draft stat dec in hand to certify my address in Surin so the Prasat BKK Bank will allow me the privilege of opening a new account with them so I can deposit 70K฿+ each month ...

But NO, the Embassy doesn't do address stat decs any more either. I said this was the first I had heard, having made my appointment explicitly on the basis of getting such a certification/stat dec. To no avail. No can do (and I have checked &, after some searching, found the announcement to that effect on their website).

Thought I should warn any others ... Of course the BKK Bank in Prasat hasn't heard of ANY change to the rules of life and insists they must have the Embassy certification of address. (Sigh) I guess I could continue to use my BKK Bank account in BKK (Asoke) but I'm not sure how that will work next October when I need an up-to-the-minute bank statement of my almost 12 months of deposits ... Meantime I will visit Kap Choeng Immigration next week for an address certification and then revisit the Prasat bank (yawn).

Edited by mfd101
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Do you have any chance of trying to get a yellow housebook, are you lliving here really and having a firm address? If so ask your thaiwife to help you with the yellow house bok (tabien baan)

THAT is a address-confirmation in fact and that is what the BKK bank here in Chaiyaphum demands in order to open up a bankaccount..

glegolo

Edited by glegolo
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, glegolo said:

If so ask your thaiwife to help you with the yellow house bok (tabien baan)

How do you know he has a Thai wife? Not mentioned in the OP. If he is his wife being with him when he applied to open an account and showing her house book might be enough.

• Like 1

Well, face-to-face might help with the manager, rather than the girl at the desk over the phone (as my b/f is inclined to do). House book might help but I'm not in it ... Of course, when they see what a well-dressed & kindly old man I am, and how RICH, that might help too - the house is insured with them for multi-millions, but of course that's in b/f's name too.

Will come back with further news next week after visit to Kap Choeng Immigration & the Prasat bank. Cheers

The Oz embassy stat dec use to charge 1,800 for a rubber stamp from a obviously bored thai female employee, you could state that you live on the moon and they would have stapeed you on that, never like those consular people, looked at you alloff like, why are you bothering us today look in their eyes...

Edited by ezzra
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Thanks OP. I kid you not. Was heading off to oz embassy tomorrow to do same, except my residence letter was to obtain Thai driving license. I live in a bkk condo and just use lease for my extensions (retirement). Umm not sure what to do now. 

Edited by DrJack54
Error

16 minutes ago, ezzra said:

The Oz embassy stat dec use to charge 1,800 for a rubber stamp from a obviously bored thai female employee, you could state that you live on the moon and they would have stapeed you on that, never like those consular people, looked at you alloff like, why are you bothering us today look in their eyes...

The young lady behind the security window was perfectly nice & apologetic this morning. She's just following the (new) rules. I said that they needed to put the announcement re address certification on the website but she said it was already there. Which it is, though not dated (unlike the income announcement which shows the 7 Jan cutoff date). My impression is that the paragraphs on what they WILL do/witness have been tightened up too - all about Oz docos for use in Oz.

So no point in haggling there & getting all uptight. Back to dealing with the wonders of Thai bureaucracy.

Edited by mfd101

1 minute ago, DrJack54 said:

Thanks OP. I kid you not. Was heading off to oz embassy tomorrow to do same, except my residence letter was to obtain Thai driving license. I live in a bkk condo and just use lease for my extensions (retirement). Umm not sure what to do now. 

Phew. I at least have my Thai d/l all in order. You can, if you're not careful, get the run-around between amphoe & DLT, each referring you to the other ...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, mfd101 said:

Phew. I at least have my Thai d/l all in order. You can, if you're not careful, get the run-around between amphoe & DLT, each referring you to the other ...

I actually started a thread in motor forum asking about using an agent. Wondering if that was possible. Then decided to do it all myself. Thinking I need to re-visit that thread.

9 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

If you are doing 90 day reports to Chaeng Wattana immigration you can get a certificate of residency there that you can use to get a drivers license.

Thanks ubonjoe. I have never done a 90 day report as i exit Thailand every couple of weeks. I did my tm30? Several years ago by post when I applied for first extension (retirement). Ever since I just use my lease. Bit nervous if I go to CW I might be fined for not notifying address. The tm30 was done by post and I never have had a receipt. I have been in same condo ever since and prior to my  non o visa and subsequent extension.

Edited by DrJack54
Error

Regarding use of agent for Thai drivers, I have been advised that they ask for certificate of residence from embassy. I imagine of course this would have to include letter from immigration as option. I have looked up list of requirements for CW. My problem is the "copy of receipt of address notification". Don't have receipt.

Edited by DrJack54
Error

I must be missing something here. Why would anyone go to their embassy to get verification of their Thai address ? Immigration office with the appropriate docs, proof of residence is the place. Immigration have finally extracted their head from the sand & realised a Stat Dec only confirms one's signature, absolutely NO verification of what you have written on the document. Same as income letter verification.

• Like 1

I am somewhat puzzled by the Embassy's response. A stat dec is a declaration by you and the appropriate witness is simply confirming that you made the declaration. The witness does have some responsibilities in relation to content but that is mainly to check it is correct in certain circumstances.

A way around this problem is to find an Australian JP who is resident in Thailand and have them sign the stat dec. JPs can witness an Australian Stat Dec even when they are out of the country.

As an aside, it is an offence for a JP to charge for services including witnessing a Stat Dec. Government rules apparently not followed by the Government ????

Edited by Howard
add info
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Go to the immigration office where you do your 90 day report and get the certificate there.

1 hour ago, malt25 said:

I must be missing something here. Why would anyone go to their embassy to get verification of their Thai address ? Immigration office with the appropriate docs, proof of residence is the place. Immigration have finally extracted their head from the sand & realised a Stat Dec only confirms one's signature, absolutely NO verification of what you have written on the document. Same as income letter verification.

As explained in my first sentence at the top, it was because the BKK Bank out here in the sticks thinks they need it from the Embassy. Everything followed from there. I now have to go to Kap Choeng Immigration next week when I return home to get the residence certification, then back to the bank ...

11 minutes ago, Howard said:

I am somewhat puzzled by the Embassy's response. A stat dec is a declaration by you and the appropriate witness is simply confirming that you made the declaration. The witness does have some responsibilities in relation to content but that is mainly to check it is correct in certain circumstances.

A way around this problem is to find an Australian JP who is resident in Thailand and have them sign the stat dec. JPs can witness an Australian Stat Dec even when they are out of the country.

A large portion of the Australian population can witness a Stat Dec, police, teachers, comm Gov employees, doctor/dentist/Optometrist etc "but" as stated in the legislation, stat decs are for use in Australia, for Australian matters. 

18 minutes ago, Aussieroaming said:

Go to the immigration office where you do your 90 day report and get the certificate there.

That's my problem. Not sure how imm will view my situation. I have never done a 90 report in all my 7 yrs, because I fly out every couple of weeks. I did a tm30 on my first extension but I did it by mail. Never received confirmation. Since then for each extension I just use my condo lease. Been at same condo since lived los. I have always been confused about reporting address when you travel. For example Friday Saigon back Tuesday. Surely you don't report that, but wouldn't surprise me.

Edited by DrJack54
Error

23 hours ago, ezzra said:

oh yes that look in their eyes can see it from miles away I always make an appointment and do they have trouble finding it

47 minutes ago, Howard said:

As an aside, it is an offence for a JP to charge for services including witnessing a Stat Dec. Government rules apparently not followed by the Government ????

Of course you can get a JP here for a stat dec, but that is only for sending it back to Australia because you don't want to fly back there to get one.  How do you propose the JP verify your finances, you want him to look into your bank accounts, check your pensions, talk to your customers?  Why not ask your bank for a stat dec because they have your money?

On 1/15/2019 at 11:05 AM, mfd101 said:

The young lady behind the security window was perfectly nice & apologetic this morning. She's just following the (new) rules. I said that they needed to put the announcement re address certification on the website but she said it was already there. Which it is, though not dated (unlike the income announcement which shows the 7 Jan cutoff date). My impression is that the paragraphs on what they WILL do/witness have been tightened up too - all about Oz docos for use in Oz.

So no point in haggling there & getting all uptight. Back to dealing with the wonders of Thai bureaucracy.

So many things in Thailand slowly being put in the toooo hard basket

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

A large portion of the Australian population can witness a Stat Dec, police, teachers, comm Gov employees, doctor/dentist/Optometrist etc "but" as stated in the legislation, stat decs are for use in Australia, for Australian matters. 

Well he said he wanted a stat dec witnessed. I suggested a JP as it is quite likely there are Australian JPs resident in Thailand who you can go to at any time whereas the others you mentioned are more likely to be tourists.

2 hours ago, Howard said:

The only thing that a notoriety is responsible for is that the signature on the document is your signature and under the Statutory Declaration Act any notoriety CAN refuse to witness and sign any statutory declaration plus under the Statutory Declaration Act a notoriety CAN charge a fee for their service. The only notoriety that is recognised in Thailand by the Australian Government Attorney Generals Department is located in the Australian Embassy in Bangkok. I have had to contact both Australian Foreign Affairs and the Australian Attorney Generals departments about several issues and this is this information provided by them

On 1/15/2019 at 10:36 AM, ubonjoe said:

How do you know he has a Thai wife? Not mentioned in the OP. If he is his wife being with him when he applied to open an account and showing her house book might be enough.

If he has a Thai wife then he does not need to deposit the 75k every month only 40k ???? Is that correct? Unless he does not want to do extension of stay based on Marriage, 

51 minutes ago, Monkeyrobot said:

If he has a Thai wife then he does not need to deposit the 75k every month only 40k ???? Is that correct? Unless he does not want to do extension of stay based on Marriage, 

Retirement is 65K/mo.  Marriage is 40K/mo, but more paperwork/hassles + 30-day "under consideration" period, with the paperwork/hassle part varying wildly by office.