Brexit bedlam - May's EU divorce deal crushed by 230 votes in parliament

webfact

Not so at all. Voters would understand what Bexit  really means, instead of all the false promises and confusion at the last referendum. 
Nobody can know what Brexit means until it actually happens and is given a bit of time for deals to be struck or not struck as the case may be. Until then it's all just speculation.

Sent from my SM-G610F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, TopDeadSenter said:

May needs to step down immediately and let a proper leave PM come in and clean up this mess she made. Rees-Mogg, Farage, Robinson, Batten? Somebody that actually believes in Brexit, believes in our country, and has the stones to get on with it. This should have been a very simple process, no excuses for having made a complete dogs dinner of it.

A typical Brexiter response. No thought that putting an inexperienced zealot in power would antagonize just about everyone. 

Robinson, you really can't be serious?

1 minute ago, rixalex said:

Nobody can know what Brexit means until it actually happens and is given a bit of time for deals to be struck or not struck as the case may be. Until then it's all just speculation.

You mean like: "nobody can know what happens if you jump off the cliff until you hit the rocks below?"

3 minutes ago, rixalex said:

Bit like saying no one knows what happens when you die - all just speculation.

But somethings, like putting your hand in the fire, have foreseeable consequences. 

25 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

Even though I disagree with your assessment of the consequences of Brexit (I believe if managed correctly it could be hugely positive for the UK), I admire your honesty in admitting that you're not that bothered about Democracy.

It's much better than the Remainers who are trying to claim that ignoring the results of the Referendum is actually really democratic. All this "democracy is a moving process", "how can more votes be less democratic", "people's vote" nonsense really grates after a while.

Kudos for admitting you just want to Remain at all costs and since you lost the vote, to hell with Democracy.

You really don't understand why Britain evolved the Parliamentary Democracy system; or why the American Founding Fathers wisely chose a Republic representative system as opposed to a simple absolute democracy system do you?

If you did, you'd understand why the Brexit Referendum was only advisory and why the spineless politicians of all sides have avoided their duty and responsibilities so far.

7 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

A typical Brexiter response. No thought that putting an inexperienced zealot in power would antagonize just about everyone. 

Robinson, you really can't be serious?

Not to mention that Brexit Ultras don't want the gig. Easier to throw rotten tomatoes from the wings than take actual responsibility. 

13 minutes ago, nauseus said:

Demands? The UK Constitution obviously allows referenda - otherwise the referendum Act would not have been possible. The ruling mob seem to be those mostly occupying Westminster (under false pretences). 

The UK Constitution recognizes the sovereignty of Parliament. It permits legislation for advisory referendums, which have no legal binding on government, the executive or parliament.

Just to be clear. Ref: UK Constitutional Law Society.

2 minutes ago, baboon said:

Not to mention that Brexit Ultras don't want the gig. Easier to throw rotten tomatoes from the wings than take actual responsibility. 

Yep. They all did a disappearing act as quickly as they could. They knew what a crock of <deleted> it would be and they knew they didn't have a clue what to do about it. 

Be careful what you wish for - you may get it!

1 hour ago, Loiner said:

The Remainers can plot and scheme behind the scenes all they like.
Corbyn can play petty party politics all he likes, distracting from the most important matter in a generation.
The EU can continue to obstruct and meddle as much as they like too.
We still have a law in place that we Leave on 29th March.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Not true.

No UK Act of Parliament (Law) has yet been passed to say that the UK will leave on the 29th.

Because it has been, hitherto, an executive decision (with Parliamentary approval to "trigger" Article 50):

European Union (Notification of Withdrawal) Act 2017 - Wikipedia

The date of departure being set by the moment that the executive notified the EU.

Not by Act of Parliament

The courts determining that Parliament should be allowed to "have its say" with regard to the terms of departure.

The terms of the departure having been disapproved yesterday by Parliament.

So now the executive may decide to ask Parliament if it is happy for a no deal departure or if it would prefer no departure.

Or it may just wait for a no deal departure.

Or "other things" may happen.

17 minutes ago, nauseus said:

Demands? The UK Constitution obviously allows referenda - otherwise the referendum Act would not have been possible. The ruling mob seem to be those mostly occupying Westminster (under false pretences). 

Parliament as Enemies of The People.

1 minute ago, Baerboxer said:

Yep. They all did a disappearing act as quickly as they could. They knew what a crock of <deleted> it would be and they knew they didn't have a clue what to do about it. 

Be careful what you wish for - you may get it!

Who can forget the look on Johnson's mug? 'We've won!! Sh!t...'

1 hour ago, mshs said:

If the negotiators believe that they once ruled the waves and tamed a continent, they'd get the deal they want,  Sadly, such a person and persons do not exist today, as they have been made to take estrogen shots by the liberal media.

I have always thought if it's leave lets leave because the EU would never give the UK a good deal it would only encourage others who may consider leaving.

Just a waste of 2 years and playing remainer mind games IMO.

3 hours ago, Antonymous said:

What an extraordinary leap of false logic!

Have the courage to say that NOW that the rotten deal presented by a Remainer PM has been voted down at last, parliament should follow the will of the people to leave the EU. Let's organise a controlled Brexit.

Here's a Plan:

A BETTER DEAL AND A BETTER FUTURE

An alternative written ministerial statement under the terms

of EUWA 2018 S13(4) 15 January 2019

Exiting the EU: the Government’s policy for EU withdrawal following the vote of the House of Commons on 15 January 2019.

http://2mbg6fgb1kl380gtk22pbxgw-wpengine.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/A-Better-Deal-and-a-Better-Future.pdf

Good, with interesting and enlightening references. Thanks.

14 minutes ago, Snow Leopard said:

Bunch of idiots. The lot of them. Should be an interesting few days ahead.

Exactly.  It just goes on and bloody on as MPs continue kicking the can down the road in the hope that something will eventually happen that allows them to pretend that they are respecting the democratic referendum result - whilst being able to retain their seats and without completely destroying the (already little) respect they hold amongst the electorate....

6 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

What a ClusterF**k.

The UK is divided. Political parties are divided. The countries that make up the UK are divided. Parliament is divided. Business is divided. Civil Society is divided. Labour unions are divided. Academia is divided.

Yet, when the UK is divided in each and every sector, some say that that you MUST implement the most divisive public policy decision in 50+ years and/or go back and renegotiate with the EU. BTW, just why would the EU decide to re-negotiate? Why does anyone think the EU actually would give better terms? I wouldn't and can't think of any reason to think they would.

Never in my wildest thoughts could I have imagined a country would screw itself over so badly.

When a country is this divided, the only logical course of action is to keep the status quo and scrap the whole thing; perhaps, try again in 10 or 20 years. Sorry to the Brexit supporters, but your country is waaaaaay too divided to do this.

Have the courage to say that this can't be done now. Forcing an uncontrolled hard Brexit down the throats of an unwilling populace will only cause division and discord for generations.

And you think that abandoning Brexit will unite the country?  Somehow, I do not think so!

8 minutes ago, SheungWan said:

One important feature of the most recent vote is that the Hard Brexiteers marched through the same voting lobby as Jeremy Corbyn. A marriage made in hell.

At least I can agree with that.

6 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

What a ClusterF**k.

The UK is divided. Political parties are divided. The countries that make up the UK are divided. Parliament is divided. Business is divided. Civil Society is divided. Labour unions are divided. Academia is divided.

Yet, when the UK is divided in each and every sector, some say that that you MUST implement the most divisive public policy decision in 50+ years and/or go back and renegotiate with the EU. BTW, just why would the EU decide to re-negotiate? Why does anyone think the EU actually would give better terms? I wouldn't and can't think of any reason to think they would.

Never in my wildest thoughts could I have imagined a country would screw itself over so badly.

When a country is this divided, the only logical course of action is to keep the status quo and scrap the whole thing; perhaps, try again in 10 or 20 years. Sorry to the Brexit supporters, but your country is waaaaaay too divided to do this.

Have the courage to say that this can't be done now. Forcing an uncontrolled hard Brexit down the throats of an unwilling populace will only cause division and discord for generations.

I think you will find that if there were to be another referendum the Brexit leavers would have an increased majority and that is from a recent BBC street survey where remainers changed their opinions after the bully tactics of the EU mob . This is a wonderful opportunity for the UK to be rid of the bureaucratic shackles of the unelected EU governance and get back our country . Why all this fear mongering ? trading will still continue within Europe and then globally .  The EU does not want the UK to leave as they are a big player and the level of bully tactics given by the EU was a warning to all the other 27 countries  .Without the contribution of the UK the EU will be in trouble and only today I read that Germany's growth has slowed down and just avoiding the recession marker . The pound is gaining on other currencies so we could be turning the corner .     

41 minutes ago, nauseus said:

It allows one.

But there is no Constitutional/Legal requirement to do anything other than "think about the results".

And then act as the Government/Parliament....."Westminster"........ sees fit.

Because the system puts them in charge.

So that everyone else can spend their time thinking about mortgages, football, pizzas and "Strictly".

2 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

You really don't understand why Britain evolved the Parliamentary Democracy system; or why the American Founding Fathers wisely chose a Republic representative system as opposed to a simple absolute democracy system do you?

If you did, you'd understand why the Brexit Referendum was only advisory and why the spineless politicians of all sides have avoided their duty and responsibilities so far.

And here we have the top ten remainer sayings.

At number one, The Brexit Referendum was only Advisory.

At number two, Democracy didn't end on the 21st of June 2016.

At number three, All brexiteers are Racists and Xenophobes.

At number four, Brexiteers didn't know what they were voting for.

At number five, Soft/Hard Brexit

At number six, It was written on the side of a bus. (Many peoples favourite I'm sure)

Number seven, Nigel Farage said it was unfinished business.

Number eight, Cliff Edge.

Number nine, Regrexit.

Number ten, Borax to Brexit.

Awright pop pickers, not arf.

3 minutes ago, tomacht8 said:

The brexit nonsense has cost me personally estimated 100,000 pounds of lost Value on assets. The UK can push their brexit in their own back, where it is dark.

Estimated? You don't know exactly?

6 minutes ago, Enoon said:

It allows one.

But there is no Constitutional/Legal requirement to do anything other than "think about the results".

And then act as the Government/Parliament....."Westminster"........ sees fit.

Because the system puts them in charge.

So that everyone else can spend their time thinking about mortgages, football, pizzas and "Strictly".

Ballroom.

33 minutes ago, Retiredandhappyhere said:

And you think that abandoning Brexit will unite the country?  Somehow, I do not think so!

You mean re-unite it after being shattered by Camerons Folly?

It was him that took us into "uncharted waters"

Not since Charles the First raised his standard at Nottingham has anyone created such a disturbance among the good people of the realm.

Archived