Brexit bedlam - May's EU divorce deal crushed by 230 votes in parliament

webfact

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, whatsupdoc said:

And what if parliament does not give its nod?
I think you forgot about the EU. If the 29th of March passes without a deal, the EU will conclude the UK has left regardless of whether a nod was given by the British parliament.

2 dreams for the price of 1.

6 hours ago, rixalex said:

Nobody can know what Brexit means until it actually happens and is given a bit of time for deals to be struck or not struck as the case may be. Until then it's all just speculation.

Sent from my SM-G610F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

No one has ever known what Brexit means - that is a Major part of the problem. Every Leave supporter has their own internal view of what it should be, but just try and get 17 million of them into a room and all agree and see what happens....

1 hour ago, dunroaming said:

Brexit bedlam?  Hardly that.  We all knew that the deal would be rejected, the only surprise was the size of the rejection.

The expected "vote of no confidence in the government" was flagged but I think that has little chance of getting anywhere.  The Tories are fearful of a general election so will rally round May yet again.

Brussels have said that there is no room for further negotiation and it is now down to the UK government to decide what they want to do next.  May has said she would come back to parliament next week with a new plan if she survives the no confidence vote.  So she is still trying to push ahead with this stupid deal in one form or another. 

As always May will not face reality and look at the only real alternatives.  You can look around for a hero to step in but there isn't one anywhere in sight.

and what are the "REAL" alternatives,she has the irish moaning,scots wanting no brexit,the welsh moaning,the fisherman moaning,the unions wanting us in the CU,Labour just being stupid,Moggy and others with their personal versions of brexit,farage and his personal view which isnt the same as johnsons,yes she has handled it badly but it was mission impossible,it wants stopping imo but if it comes to a no deal and undoubted misery i will rejoice in the suffering of the British people.

17 minutes ago, tebee said:

No one has ever known what Brexit means - that is a Major part of the problem. Every Leave supporter has their own internal view of what it should be, but just try and get 17 million of them into a room and all agree and see what happens....

BJ was on TV last night more or less saying Mays deal just needed tweaking,farage then called it a shambles,these were the 2 big guns from the leave camp,both now some distance apart,neither knew what brexit was meant to be,2 crackpots,i wonder what tommy's version would look like

2 hours ago, Loiner said:

The govt lied to us all way up to the referendum. They forecast consequences of Armageddon and plagues of everything in case of a vote to Leave. It was called Project Fear and it’s still not working.

Millions of us do care about the future of young ones. Not just how it affects our investments or exchange rate to retire in Thailand. I’ll be forever convinced that the EU would continue to strip them of all opportunity in favour of peasant economies in Europe, while being a never ending tax burden on them. So I voted we all have to Leave.

I also believe that the young are to stupid and easily led by Remain propaganda to be allowed to sway this crucial decision. A bit like the Remainers on TV regard Brexiteers really but hey ho.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

It's not Armageddon but medieval times. 

The problems between ROI and NI are just around the corner. 

It's a shame that populists in an ancient democracy can rule a country 

12 hours ago, TopDeadSenter said:

Whatever your personal views are on Brexit, can we not agree that by abandoning the democratic system to reward the team that had the biggest foot-stamping meltdown is not a good step? This is all way bigger than just Brexit, the future of democracy lies at stake here.

The problem with your march to a no deal Brexit, with no transition, is that no Leave politician campaigned for that during the referendum. Every single one of them promised the potential leave voter a smooth transition and minimal economic disruption, with trade deals being signed the day after. So, if no one campaigned for that, how can anyone claim that outcome represents the democratic will of the people of the UK? It is not what the majority want. We would need a second vote to test that option.

7 minutes ago, bomber said:

BJ was on TV last night more or less saying Mays deal just needed tweaking,farage then called it a shambles,these were the 2 big guns from the leave camp,both now some distance apart,neither knew what brexit was meant to be,2 crackpots,i wonder what tommy's version would look like

Tommy Robinson to Brexit is what Andrew Ridgely was to motor racing.

Something interesting here - M&S is closing stores in Leave voting areas, but opening them in strone remain areas. Not because of Brexit, but might it be those areas voted for Brexit because of economic decline and hopelessness. 

Change is needed, but the brexit they voted for will only make them worse off - I find this sad more than anything.  

7 minutes ago, tebee said:

Something interesting here - M&S is closing stores in Leave voting areas, but opening them in strone remain areas. Not because of Brexit, but might it be those areas voted for Brexit because of economic decline and hopelessness. 

Change is needed, but the brexit they voted for will only make them worse off - I find this sad more than anything.  

M&S brand is still fully accessible online. All they're doing is playing 'catch up' with the likes of Amazon who do not have any shops in the high st.

21 minutes ago, evadgib said:

M&S brand is still fully accessible online. All they're doing is playing 'catch up' with the likes of Amazon who do not have any shops in the high st.

M&S are re-structuring like most of the large high street chains.  They have been struggling for years now (I know, I have shares in them) and are suffering from on-line shopping.  They will close stores based on retail sales and overheads.  Areas with the biggest losses will be the first to go.  Basic stuff. 

1 hour ago, tebee said:

You must surely know the reason?

Nice people shop at Marks & Sparks and Waitrose. The other people, who watch ITV, don't ????

Fits nicely with all the other correlations!

5 hours ago, melvinmelvin said:

never mind GBP,

baht has also improved against Norwegian oil dollars, not happy

Many here are concerned with the pound. Understandable.

Krone has been crappy for more than 4 years already.

4 hours ago, sawadee1947 said:

That is completely nonsense. There is already a contract. Easy to sign. 

Also there is a law for a full term 5 years job for May. So a new PM not possible. 

And if such polit-clowns as you mentioned would represent UK I have my doubts. 

The real drama is that from the beginning the govt lied to the people and were not willing to show the consequences of any kind of Brexit. 

So many Brits believed in a land of milk and honey. So do you. 

That you and millions of your kind risk the future of the young ones you never cared of. 

Nonsense back at ya. She's made a complete mess of everything since she's been in and is allowed to resign at any time. Anyone with a shred if honour left would do that now.  

2 minutes ago, nauseus said:

Nonsense back at ya. She's made a complete mess of everything since she's been in and is allowed to resign at any time. Anyone with a shred if honour left would do that now.  

True but she won't and anyway nobody is going to step up until after this fiasco is over.  The so called Brexit hardliners like Johnson and JRM have had ample opportunity to make a leadership challenge but they haven't got the guts.  They will back her again in the vote of no confidence today.  Spineless as always

4 minutes ago, nauseus said:

Mrs May has a sense of duty, she will not walk away and leave the mess to someone else like Cameron did, I’m pretty sure about that. She will try to find a way through Parliament, a softer Brexit, or she will sanction a second vote. That’s why GBP strengthened yesterday. 

9 minutes ago, nauseus said:

It was always the intention of the Conservative Dons to put her in place to take the can for Brexit. She won't leave until Brexit is concluded. Then she will leave. The Dons have already told her this. She knows her place. Just a dumb patsy.

2 minutes ago, nauseus said:

And with the deficit as it is, even more madness from the EU's perspective.

But even greater madness from the UK in services- legal, financial and educational, where we earn a handsome profit from the EU. All at risk with no agreement by the end of March.

1 hour ago, bomber said:

They weren't talking about the meaning of Brexit.

They were talking May's so-called "deal".

1 hour ago, tebee said:

Sutton Coldfield. This cannot be!

13 minutes ago, dunroaming said:

True but she won't and anyway nobody is going to step up until after this fiasco is over.  The so called Brexit hardliners like Johnson and JRM have had ample opportunity to make a leadership challenge but they haven't got the guts.  They will back her again in the vote of no confidence today.  Spineless as always

They need someone to blame for not delivering "their" Brexit.

If they became leader, then they would indeed be blamed for not delivering it themselves, as it's probably near as dammit to impossible.   

Posturing for after-the-chaos glory !

12 hours ago, SheungWan said:

Hard Brexit doesn't have the votes in Parliament.

For there to be a hard brexit they don't need to vote.

In fact if they do nothing it will be a 'hard brexit' by default.

This is why they're all so busy trying to find some kind of deal.

15 minutes ago, dunroaming said:

She has already survived the internal Tory no confidence challenge by your "hardliners". After this she is safe from her own for 12 months. Her government will probably scrape through the no confidence vote, today, as the Conservatives will do anything to keep Corbyn from No.10 and so actually unite. If she is going she has to quit herself.

Archived