Double cut! Teachers shear student's lovely long hair AND cut grades of her friend who filmed it

webfact

9 hours ago, scorecard said:

Where's the Ed. ministry? No comment, asleep, too lazy, incapable of construction a comment,  as usual. 

On easy street earning their salary as easily as they can. No fuss, no bother, no care a rat’s arse. 

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Teacherduck said:

Such a shame the education standards and rules weren't as rigid as this antiquated rule. You can wear dirty clothes, filthy socks, but the hair is the most important thing in appearance.

Don't they wear socks with no shoes?  So, of course, the socks are filthy.  The uniforms may be hand me downs from a couple of older children.  The kids may not have enough to eat.  Have you ever offered them food?  Or new socks or shirts?  Typical Farang.  (reference to kannot above)

10 minutes ago, Teacherduck said:

Such a shame the education standards and rules weren't as rigid as this antiquated rule. You can wear dirty clothes, filthy socks, but the hair is the most important thing in appearance.

Thais will be Thais, it seems that being something else, something better, or even recognising their weakness and aspiring to something better, is completely beyond them. Until they rectify that shortcoming, they will never have a decent education. Not ever. And they will always be subject to the dictates of the school director who allows his teachers to behave in this disgraceful and bullying way.

As I said before, this guy is very lucky this was not my step-daughter.

16 minutes ago, Zack61 said:

On easy street earning their salary as easily as they can. No fuss, no bother, no care a rat’s arse. 

Same as the rest of the government then. Just have to say you love the big guy. Everything else is unimportant.

Without a major disruption, which the head boy will claim was his doing anyway, nothing will change. Everything will stay just where it is, which is exactly what the landed barons want.

A close look at the video will show OTHERS With Hair longer than these idiotic regulations.

I am all for maintaining School Discipline BUT...this is STUPID and those responsible for the Assault upon the Student should be facing Criminal Charges.

if any mongrel did that to my daughter, I’d have the POLICE onto them in a flash and I’d also sue them for inflicting physical and mental damage.  

While I have some sympathy for the girl in question, I also understand the position of the school to uphold the rules in a fair manner to all students.

The rules do state that hair has to be of a certain length, this applies to all students as does wearing the correct uniform etc etc.

If the school allows some students to continually break the rules then obviously this will open the door for others to follow suit.

The student had stubbornly refused to have her hair cut for reasons known to her, but she could have helped herself by plaiting her hair during school hours to make the appearance of it being short, letting it down to her preferred length out of school hours.

Sometimes if you push you luck too far and look for a reaction you will get one !!!

As for all those saying in the west/my country blah blah blah..... well this is Thailand !!

22 hours ago, Pilotman said:

One of our Thai Nephews is a village teacher.  He is a serious and dedicated young man and I know that he treats the children well and is liked and respected by his students.  However, after Military service, he trained as an electrician and then took up teaching.  Zero teacher training for him and zero checks done on his competence to teach.  I do like the lad,  but his level of pure knowledge and awareness of the outside world is minimal to say the least.  That says everything  that needs to be said about the education system here.  

We all know there is always another side to any story.  My 27yo Thai stepdaughter is a high school science teacher in the public school system. She has double degrees in biology and education and she's brilliant, kind and caring, gets her students to think outside the box, and is respected by students and peers.  She takes offense to your characterization of the village doofus  as representative of the entire Thai education system. 

I asked her about this issue and she brought to light something that is being ignored in all the arrogant negativity characteristic with many TV posters and Facebookers. Lice.  Besides the cultural tradition and perceived benefits of uniformity for younger students, and lessons in humility as important for character building, it is hers and the system's view of policy, that historically infestations of head lice become rampant in younger students in a close environment.  They believe that short hair limits the infestations and is a benefit to the student community. Individuality and self expression must be sacrificed for the larger public health cause, like it or not.  The alternative of chemical treatment is not always affordable or acceptable to all families, so it doesn't get done dependably enough for effective control. 

In older students head lice becomes less of an issue and longer hair is allowed.   

31 minutes ago, drtreelove said:

We all know there is always another side to any story.  My 27yo Thai stepdaughter is a high school science teacher in the public school system. She has double degrees in biology and education and she's brilliant, kind and caring, gets her students to think outside the box, and is respected by students and peers.  She takes offense to your characterization of the village doofus  as representative of the entire Thai education system. 

I asked her about this issue and she brought to light something that is being ignored in all the arrogant negativity characteristic with many TV posters and Facebookers. Lice.  Besides the cultural tradition and perceived benefits of uniformity for younger students, and lessons in humility as important for character building, it is hers and the system's view of policy, that historically infestations of head lice become rampant in younger students in a close environment.  They believe that short hair limits the infestations and is a benefit to the student community. Individuality and self expression must be sacrificed for the larger public health cause, like it or not.  The alternative of chemical treatment is not always affordable or acceptable to all families, so it doesn't get done dependably enough for effective control. 

In older students head lice becomes less of an issue and longer hair is allowed.   

You might be right but I don't think you are. I seriously doubt this had anything to do with lice, and the lice argument is an attenmpt by one Thai to find a sensioble reason for non-sensible behaviour on the part of another Thai. Thais will generally find excuses for supporting another Thai, it's a cultural norm. IMHO, I think this instance had everything to do with demonstrating power, though I agree with others who have said that this girl in particular may have been treated to a special display while there are others in the pic with long or longer hair.

You know Thais as well as I do, any opportunity to establish themselves as superior or more powerful that someone else must be taken for the sake of self-esteem, let's not pretend otherwise.. It's a psychological consequence of the toxic culture they're exposed to in their formative years ( I wrote 'developing' rather than 'formative' in the first draft of this message, then realised why it felt odd - that most Thais never emerge from their childhood developing years in the same way children in other countries do, so the distinction needed to be made).

Thais will be Thais.

Lice will not differentiate between long or short hair so you can forget that argument. Most of you are men and as such you may not appreciate what importance a girls hair has to the person involved.

From a mothers point of view, if I had a daughter in this situation, I would be totally disgusted and probably end up being locked up after turning up at school with scissors in hand and doing the same or at least attempting to, to the teachers involved.

On a calmer note, I can understand that a certain standard has to be maintained, the Army rules covered just this, hair had to off the collar, so if you wanted it long it had to be pinned up, that worked for me and most of the platoon as well.

To chop into someones hair like this is an assault on a person, they should have sent her home from school until the situation was remedied to their liking or the parents finding another school.

46 minutes ago, drtreelove said:

The whole idea of getting hair cut short started many years ago both in the military and civilian sides for the reasons you posted, lice and cleanliness all over the world.

The neatness and uniformity was not the main reason it started.

WHO came up with this rule - and what's behind this rule? Some megalomaniac P'Or? Delusions of grandeur?

The punishment of the friend who was filming a crime going down needs to be reported. A teacher should be fair - and this wasn't something which happened in class...

A school ganging up on victims is something society should not tolerate.

Bloody control freaks.

Yesterday, high school students were vaccinated. Some cried. Q: is that something teenagers must endure? Don't they have a say in what happens to their bodies?!?

48 minutes ago, drtreelove said:

It may be the experience of your step daughter, but I'm afraid that the facts speak for themselves.  By any international measure that I have seen, Thailand comes in the bottom third of all countries with regard to education attainment for the majority. The University system here is broken beyond repair and I am afraid that the village schools have such a narrow interpretation of what students require, that many if not the vast majority leave school with little to no knowledge of the world around them or curiosity about it. It leads to many facets of Thailand and its people, including a 'flexible' interpretation of the 'rule of law' , the social acceptance of the sex industry, the distorted perspective of the Thai authorities as to where they sit on the World, even the idea that a part trained doctor who has failed his/her final exams , working in a village hospital is acceptable.  It all comes down to education in the end and if the teachers are not right the system will not be. 

14 hours ago, HalfLight said:

Thais will be Thais, it seems that being something else, something better, or even recognising their weakness and aspiring to something better, is completely beyond them. Until they rectify that shortcoming, they will never have a decent education. Not ever. And they will always be subject to the dictates of the school director who allows his teachers to behave in this disgraceful and bullying way.

As I said before, this guy is very lucky this was not my step-daughter.

It was not a guy that did the cutting, but I get your point...........one thousand percent

22 minutes ago, BurgerGung said:

WHO came up with this rule - and what's behind this rule? Some megalomaniac P'Or? Delusions of grandeur?

The punishment of the friend who was filming a crime going down needs to be reported. A teacher should be fair - and this wasn't something which happened in class...

A school ganging up on victims is something society should not tolerate.

Bloody control freaks.

Yesterday, high school students were vaccinated. Some cried. Q: is that something teenagers must endure? Don't they have a say in what happens to their bodies?!?

vaccinated against what, if a flu shot, then I whole heartedly agree they should not have a choice.

2 minutes ago, TunnelRat69 said:

It was not a guy that did the cutting, but I get your point...........one thousand percent

I meant the director who instructed the teacher to cut, the teacher is the monkey, not the organ-grinder, she isn't important except as a drone.

On 1/18/2019 at 9:47 AM, Japhrodisiac said:

This 'face' business causes a lot of idiots to carry on being idiots where in a more organic environment idiotic behaviour has consequences

These people committed a grave error of judgment. What difference does it make if the girls hair is long? Is the need for convention, and conforming so great here, that even longer hair is not allowed? That is so far beyond inane, it is hard to even contemplate. And they deserve the blowback they are getting. It is not the fault of her friend for posting this. Her friend is a hero. It is the fault of the gutless teachers, and administrators, and their refusal to take responsibility for a big, big mistake. Hopefully, one that will haunt them for years. 

Face is perhaps the greatest weakness Thailand deals with, as a nation. It is a despicable shortcoming. Many will say it is societal, cultural, etc. No matter. It is the absolute and complete lack of the ability to introspect, and look within for the source of any problem, shortcoming, conflict, or issue. It is the polar opposite of spirituality, and therefore an absolute scourge on Buddha, and all of the precepts he taught. By practicing face, you are denying your spiritual heritage. You are refusing to man up. To take responsibility for your actions. If a man or a woman cannot, and will not take responsibility for their actions, the problems they create, the mistakes they make, and the issues they involve themselves in, what are they? Are they still an adult? Are they a complete individual, if they allow themselves to be limited by such infinitely small social convention? 

Who cares what people think of you? For those of us with high self esteem, it just does not matter. Sure, close friends and family. But strangers on the street? Who gives a rat's butt about this? It means nothing what they think, nor what they say about you. They count for nothing. They are just people, and people you do not know, nor will ever see again. Face is rife with self doubt, and by subscribing to this weakness, and man or woman is made a far lesser person. For those of us with high self esteem, we know who we are. What others think, what society thinks, what a guy or gal thinks, means less than zero.

Real men or women, simply own a situation, and take responsibility for their errors or mistakes. Small men, social deviants, or emotional adolescents deflect, obfuscate, attempt to confuse, and do everything in their power to deny that they made a mistake, or that they are responsible in any way, or on any level. They make up narratives about fake news, or alternative facts. Anything to avoid looking within, for the source of the problem. Anything.

4 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

These people committed a grave error of judgment. What difference does it make if the girls hair is long? Is the need for convention, and conforming so great here, that even longer hair is not allowed? That is so far beyond inane, it is hard to even contemplate. And they deserve the blowback they are getting. It is not the fault of her friend for posting this. Her friend is a hero. It is the fault of the gutless teachers, and administrators, and their refusal to take responsibility for a big, big mistake. Hopefully, one that will haunt them for years. 

Face is perhaps the greatest weakness Thailand deals with, as a nation. It is a despicable shortcoming. Many will say it is societal, cultural, etc. No matter. It is the absolute and complete lack of the ability to introspect, and look within for the source of any problem, shortcoming, conflict, or issue. It is the polar opposite of spirituality, and therefore an absolute scourge on Buddha, and all of the precepts he taught. By practicing face, you are denying your spiritual heritage. You are refusing to man up. To take responsibility for your actions. If a man or a woman cannot, and will not take responsibility for their actions, the problems they create, the mistakes they make, and the issues they involve themselves in, what are they? Are they still an adult? Are they a complete individual, if they allow themselves to be limited by such infinitely small social convention? 

Who cares what people think of you? For those of us with high self esteem, it just does not matter. Sure, close friends and family. But strangers on the street? Who gives a rat's butt about this? It means nothing what they think, nor what they say about you. They count for nothing. They are just people, and people you do not know, nor will ever see again. Face is rife with self doubt, and by subscribing to this weakness, and man or woman is made a far lesser person. For those of us with high self esteem, we know who we are. What others think, what society thinks, what a guy or gal thinks, means less than zero.

Real men or women, simply own a situation, and take responsibility for their errors or mistakes. Small men, social deviants, or emotional adolescents deflect, obfuscate, attempt to confuse, and do everything in their power to deny that they made a mistake, or that they are responsible in any way, or on any level. They make up narratives about fake news, or alternative facts. Anything to avoid looking within, for the source of the problem. Anything.

Absolutely spot on, thank you!

9 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Agree to a point, though I think you are overbalancing the argument. It does matter what selected people think of us, it matters to everyone, to me and to you, we all look in the eyes of speific other people to find a picture of ourselves - normally it's people who for one reason or another are important to us but in uneducated people it's more of a scattergun approach, it's everyone.

No, it's the mode of expression that is the problem, and Thais have no real sense of proportion. They respond to and react to subconscious stimulu without modifications normally overlaid by the conscious mind. Same as my dog does when it smells a female in oestrus, same as my cat does when it smells food Some people never develop out of the realm of automatic responses, and it is this which education resolves, education teaches us how to consciously modify out responses. Therein lies the problem in Thailand.

20 hours ago, Pilotman said:

I was making a point about teacher training in LOS, which is virtually none existent.  

Not quite true, many Thai universities offer a B.Ed. degree. The degree was reworked a few years back and is now a 5.5 yr degree, it has more / better focus on child psychology and childhood learning, it includes some study of different pedagogy systems / methods including student centered learning / project based learning, and it's an easy path to an official teachers license.

And students complete many trainee teacher / work assignments throughout the 5.5 years. As can be expected (in many countries) the value of this aspect can be valuable or can be a waste of time, all depending on the attitudes of the headperson of the school the student is assigned to.

No, it's the mode of expression that is the problem, and Thais have no real sense of proportion. They respond to and react to subconscious stimulu without modifications normally overlaid by the conscious mind.

No, I wouldn't agree with that , often they completely cover up normal reactions. Society has impregnated how to react / or not react when often that is completely how they don't feel. The result is a vindictiveness that is often turned towards those on the same level or lower than them.

Archived