For better or worse? Expats think Thailand is going down the pan, poll

webfact

1 hour ago, HuskerDo said:

Firstly you couldn't answer my question but thanks for the attempt.

While in general people do need to "earn" respect YOU have to earn it also from the Thais. Your statements show you think they aren't worthy of respect. So Sad.

In regards to women, they have been treated 2nd class most of history that is true thus had to seek (or better worded were forced to seek) financial and physical security from men. Many couldn't vote until a number of decades ago in "civilized" countries. Today in places like Saudi-land they have to ask permission to even leave the house. BUT, things are changing my friend.

I suggest you think more deeply about it and treat all humans like they are equals. I guarantee if you change that aspect of your life and personality it'll go a long way to making your life happier. You might even have Thai friends one day. Thanks!! 

We will have to politely disagree which is fine. I admire that you enjoy your life and the Thais. Many of us see things differently which is also fine. 

I am not one to give respect to people who don't reciprocate. And, because of my age, wealth, professional status, possessions, ability to community reasonably well in Thai, exceedingly polite interactions with Thais (following their rules), marriage to a highly educated Thai woman from a very prestigious family as well as my image and how I carry myself, I am SUPPOSED to be offered immense respect from the VAST MAJORITY of Thais. 

A Thai with my exact stats would be waied everywhere they go and be shown substantial deference from all but the very highest status Thais. 

Somehow, I NEVER get such. Has nothing to do with me. Has everything to do with most of them being xenophobic and/or racist people. Can you conceive of that possibility? 

Edited by Fex Bluse
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

9 minutes ago, HuskerDo said:

Ahhh, well yes. I'm 12 and also 13 and also 14 because I've reached those ages and beyond.

I pay attention. No issues there sir. ???? 

No need to call me 'sir', friend. 'Sir' implies seniority and as you say (but evidently don't really believe); all people are created equal. Common courtesy is always welcome, subservience is never welcome.

Edited by HalfLight

8 minutes ago, Skeptic7 said:

Sorry the truth upsets your sensitivities. Meant no disrespect, so will rephrase. Everyone has a price...just especially true for females. :vampire:

VERY unfortunate comment. I'm sorry you were raised in the conditions you were with the lack of mentorship you endured to create the mindset you have. Best of luck to you.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, HalfLight said:

No need to call me sir, friend. 'Sir' implies seniority and as you say (but evidently don't really believe); all people are created equal. Common courtesy is always welcome, subservience is never welcome.

Not sure how to respond to that piece of jabber but "sir" is a sign of respect albeit sarcastic in this case.

1 minute ago, HuskerDo said:

VERY unfortunate comment. I'm sorry you were raised in the conditions you were with the lack of mentorship you endured to create the mindset you have. Best of luck to you.

Translation: "Truly sorry you aren't as enlightened as me, but you don't seem to have had anyone to teach you the way and the truth and the light. Hope your nuts drop off."

Nice.

12 minutes ago, Fex Bluse said:

We will have to politely disagree which is fine. I admire that you enjoy your life and the Thais. Many of us see things differently which is also fine. 

I am not one to give respect to people who don't reciprocate. And, because of my age, wealth, professional status, possessions, ability to community reasonably well in Thai, exceedingly polite interactions with Thais (following their rules), marriage to a highly educated Thai woman from a very prestigious family as well as my image and how I carry myself, I am SUPPOSED to be offered immense respect from the VAST MAJORITY of Thais. 

A Thai with my exact stats would be waied everywhere they go and be shown substantial deference from all but the very highest status Thais. 

Somehow, I NEVER get such. Has nothing to do with me. Has everything to do with most of them being xenophobic and/or racist people. Can you conceive of that possibility? 

I'd say they don't see you in the same light you see yourself in. With all the great things you say you have going for yourself you spend a lot of time in TV. Doesn't add up but my best all the same. 

Edited by HuskerDo
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Other people might be your equals, but they aren't my equal.

I'm just curious where he got the idea that treating people as equals is the right thing to do... Probably heard someone say it and thought it seemed cool or something.

• Like 1

Just now, HuskerDo said:

I'd say they don't see you in the light you see yourself in. With all the great things you say you have going for yourself you spend a lot of time in TV. Doesn't add up but my best all the same. 

Ooh, we got a live one here..

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, HuskerDo said:

Your words not mine. ????

It is what it is...That cost is going UP,  Immigration are like key stone cops, and the driving habits of Thais are what they are die by the sword or get plowed/mowed down....

44 minutes ago, HuskerDo said:

You are right. To be equal you have to be equivalent to another. Maybe they aren't your "equals" in your mind as you may be beneath them with your mindset. Think about it for a while, consider life in it's entirety and be a better and more respectful human being. Everyone is created equally.

How do you respect men who impregnate women - then leave to find another woman and never spend a satang or their time raising their offspring?   They many times will go find another woman and impregnate her and repeat... then brag about it.  How about the thousands of religious con-men and women, selling salvation for profit.  Obviously we are all "created equally"  that is a biological fact - but that in no way makes you a person worthy of respect.  Actions speak louder than words

Edited by Skallywag
syntax
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, thaiguzzi said:

Over a 1000 posts in 4 months.

Not bad going.

Not unusual for a Thai basher.

Glass always been half empty, sir?

Unbelievable.

53 pages & counting of paranoid, racist drivel.

On a 4 day old topic.

Jesus wept.

God give me strength.

Edit.

58 pages and counting.

Not you again surely? Still trolling are you? I thought I'd put you on my ignore list already, still, never too late..

• Haha 2

On 1/25/2019 at 10:19 AM, dyertribe said:

I'm seriously looking at Cambodia as an option for my retirement where, up until now, it has always been Thailand.

Why Cambodia? The only reason I could think of would be the young, cheap hookers. But, surely a retiree wouldn't admit to that. 

2 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

We're all retired, we have time on our hands.

Walked 22Km in the jungle yesterday, that's 4hrs of my 14hr day filled.

Lots of time left to sit around, play with my kids, read a book, watch a movie, listen to music, post on forums.

Ah, but did you play Candy Crush on Facebook? One of our critics did..

Duh!.

50 minutes ago, HuskerDo said:

Many people's words show they do indeed hate and disrespect Thais and their culture. One day (maybe already) Big Joke will be monitoring these boards and root out the haters and they will be dismissed from the country. We can only hope.  

That would be awesome. The strange fact is that most of the Thai haters have Thai wives, go figure! They hate all Thais but are willing to put up with one if they put up with their racist views and beer belly.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, thaiguzzi said:

Over a 1000 posts in 4 months.

Not bad going.

Not unusual for a Thai basher.

Glass always been half empty, sir?

Unbelievable.

53 pages & counting of paranoid, racist drivel.

On a 4 day old topic.

Jesus wept.

God give me strength.

Edit.

58 pages and counting.

Eat your greens and not coconuts,  and your be fine.

popeye spinich.jpg

11 minutes ago, Rugon said:

That would be awesome. The strange fact is that most of the Thai haters have Thai wives, go figure! They hate all Thais but are willing to put up with one if they put up with their racist views and beer belly.

I quite like it here, the Thais are mostly low class greedy poorly educated xenophobes. If you like mixing with that sort of person and want to venerate them, that's fine by me. I don't mix much with expats either (same reasons). As an over educated intellectual, I don't have much in common with the 'common man' and keep myself to myself. It's not hate anyone gets from me, more disinterest. I probably wouldn't want to mix with you either, once 'farang' had escaped from your lips (without it being a 100% Thai conversation), I'd make an excuse and disassociate myself.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Naam said:

it is wise to carry always a small bundle of papers with the portrait of His Majesty the King. :thumbsup:

And a Mobile Phone with camera to take Photos of the damage !!! What a Tragic story of Extortion from this guy ! commented on ... Defiantly not the man to write the "How to keep out of trouble" hand book I think. ....

3 minutes ago, Mark mark said:

And a Mobile Phone with camera to take Photos of the damage !!! What a Tragic story of Extortion from this guy ! commented on ... Defiantly not the man to write the "How to keep out of trouble" hand book I think. ....

I think that I do have to say, ... the sort of People that you hang around with can influence whether something bad like this happens to you, ... Like the Upwardly Mobile Middle class ??? (And in Particular their Woman ?) ... I Do not hang around with these type of people, ... and well life can be a bit Boring, ... but well, I have not been threatened with Extortion either. ... ??? ...

17 minutes ago, Rugon said:

Ironic isn't it. :-)

14 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I quite like it here, the Thais are mostly low class greedy poorly educated xenophobes. If you like mixing with that sort of person and want to venerate them, that's fine by me. I don't mix much with expats either (same reasons). As an over educated intellectual, I don't have much in common with the 'common man' and keep myself to myself. It's not hate anyone gets from me, more disinterest. I probably wouldn't want to mix with you either, once 'farang' had escaped from your lips (without it being a 100% Thai conversation), I'd make an excuse and disassociate myself.

"As an over educated intellectual, I don't have much in common with the 'common man' and keep myself to myself".... OR maybe you think you are better than you are (obvious as this post is an example) and the Thais avoid you.

BTW.... as an over educated "intellectual" when you say "and keep myself to myself" you might want to keep secret the schools you attended as to not give them a poor reference. :-) 

5 minutes ago, HuskerDo said:

OR maybe you think you are better than you are (obvious as this post is an example) and the Thais avoid you.

I live in a 100% Thai community. I wonder how much Thai you can speak, read or write?

I'm thinking none at all (apart from 'farang' and the occasional 'aroy mak mak')

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I live in a 100% Thai community. I wonder how much Thai you can speak, read or write?

I'm thinking none at all (apart from 'farang' and the occasional 'aroy mak mak')

Interesting.... You just stated that "the Thais are mostly low class greedy poorly educated xenophobes" yet you live in a 100% Thai community. I'd love to see a psychologist evaluate you. It would make for quite a read.