British woman, 64, stranded in Thai hospital unless she can pay 450,000 THB for treatment

webfact

British woman, 64, stranded in Thai hospital unless she can pay 450,000 THB for treatment

BT.jpg

A British woman who fell ill on holiday in Thailand is stranded in hospital after her medical expenses ran into hundreds of thousands of baht.

Barbara Jackson, 64, from Essex, is seriously ill in Camillian Hospital in Bangkok where she needs urgent treatment for a heart condition.

Barbara had been on holiday visiting her son who lives in Thailand when without warning she suddenly became ill.

After being rushed to hospital it was discovered she required heart surgery.

Because Barbara was only visiting Thailand for a short holiday, she did not take out insurance for her trip.

While the cost of her operation has been paid for, a further 450,000 baht is needed to pay for   additional treatment and medical care.

Now her family and friends have launched a crowdfunding campaign on the Go Fund Me website to raise the additional money so Barabara can receive the treatment she desperately needs.

“Barbara has been taken ill while in Thailand and requires immediate heart surgery to survive. Unfortunately, the cost for this essential operation is extremely high and so we are raising funds to help cover the additional expenses”, the Go Fund Me page reads.

“She is currently ready to undergo her operation, however, upon completion of her heart surgery she will receive a hefty bill which is only partly covered. We need to raise an additional 450,000 Thai Baht (just over £10,000 GBP) to assist with the cost of her operation, the page adds.

Barbara's Go Fund Me page can be found here.

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-01-30

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, crickets said:

Thailand needs to have compulsory health care for visitors to stop this kinda stuff happening. Extra 1000 to 2000 a month for anyone coming going into an emergency fund.

I don't think it will stop it.

as what will they do with people pissed up involved in accidents on the roads, maybe insurance will say, no pay he was pissed up. then what will happen,

Go fund me time.

Edited by stanleycoin
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, Nielsk said:

No matter how sad it is:

Going abroad without an insurance is like jumping from 10th floor and think they will survive.

Some never learn !

Please understand , pre existing conditions are not covered even if she had no knowledge of the condition the insurance company will make a case of it.

I have high blood pressure that is effectively controlled by medication but so what, I can have my travel policies reviewed by Dr's appointed by the insurance company, no doubt this would raise the premium and still it is highly unlikely for me to be covered should I have a heart attack.

As cleverly explained to me by the lady who sold my last travel policy. My priority was, am I covered if I have an accident while riding a scooter.

• Like 1