Not wearing a shirt

georgegeorgia

6 hours ago, HLover said:

No. It's spot on. Your 'reasonable physical shape' and 'not got a lot of fat' logistically leads me to conclude your fat/overweight.

Ouch!!  hey, play nice kids.  so he may be robust, but still in shape, I have seen dozens of "fat guys/gals" in the Tri-Athalons in Hawaii that can run circles around and lift weights heavier than the 'skinny' participants...............remember a Beach life guards lament is a muscle bound guy drowning, they'd rather it be a fat guy/gal, at least they can float, muscle sinks!!.   

7 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

The only place it is ok to not wear a shirt, is on the beach, at poolside, or in one's own home, or the home of a lover or close friend. Otherwise, it is tasteless, and unpleasant for nearly everyone you encounter. Does not matter whether or not you have a great body. You want to show off your muscles, wear a tank top, or a sleeveless shirt, a la Rafael Nadal. It is tasteful and respectful. This holds especially true when you are in a foreign country. I see Thai men without shirts on often. In or in front of their own homes. Or walking around a small village. No big deal. Nobody minds that. But, out in public? And especially in a big city? Show some self respect, please. 

Man, I live in Jomtien part time, the Northern EU or Russian men I see are usually twice or more my size, and I consider myself chunky, without shirts EVERYWHERE.  sweating, grunting in languages no one understands 'cides themselves...........avoid them like the plague.  Look, I work in Africa 5-6 months a year, and for the most part, they smell, and it's worse when they sweat, but I ignore it because I work along side them, day after day and I am sure I don't smell too nice to them either..............but thats field work!!!  not in a bar, restaurant, shopping arcade, or market.

Mi Dos Centavos

I saw a shirtless dirtbag in the Lotus grocery section once.  I politely told him they had "cheap shirts on sale a few aisles over".  He threatened to kill me.  I said "you're in luck, they have a pharmacy also". He stormed off in the opposite direction.

• Haha 1

Havin written several letters to the editor on this topic, I find it disgusting and offensive to see Farangs, mostly obese and sweating like pigs, go without a shirt in public.  Do they dress like that in their country?  What makes the think that it is ok to dress like that here? Arrogance?  They pay money so they deserve to?  Classless and clueless.  If you want to do something about this, write a letter to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and tell them to deal with this inappropriate and vulgar displaying of undesirable flesh.  They can hand out tracts at the airports, hotel rooms, travel books, online and in foreign countries travel agencies.  I am certain local people don't like it, and this lowers their viewpoint on all Farangs. 

24 minutes ago, roo860 said:

When I was a kid it was illegal in our house to go out without wearing clean underpants. If you questioned it my mother used to say, if you get hit by a car and end up in hospital I'm not having you wearing dirty underpants.
emoji16.png

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

She clearly had every confidence in your degree of control in the event of a life threatening emergency.... 

On Topic: Its only OK to be 'shirtless' in public at the Pool side or on the beach. In any other location beyond this, it's simply not acceptable or respectable towards others around you.

The degree of 'cover' depends on your location and what you are doing, from simple board shorts and a vest / T-shirt at a Beachfront eatery to dressing respectfully and appropriately in a government office etc... 

Its not hard... and those who don't dress appropriately probably know but don't care... its a very quick measure of someones 'class'.... 

Just what you want to see out walking around, in a store, or parked sweaty, smelling, & sitting nearby in a pub or restaurant.....

Maybe the guy just got off a baht bus you take - You don't know it until the body odor is seeping into your clothes.....

images-56.jpg

On 1/31/2019 at 5:12 AM, pgrahmm said:

It is in many places....

Any examples?

In my car I can do what want, if I was completely naked police could perhaps somehow fine me, but it is technically not *illegal*.

33 minutes ago, Enki said:

Seems, you don't understand. There is a sign at the door if you are supposed to put of your shoes or not. In Thai houses, and that includes in door restaurants, people don't wear dirty shoes full with buffalo shit and dog shit, moron. Oh, you live in BKK and never saw a Buffalo on the streets or Elephant or Buffalo poo?

Really ... living in a foreign culture and not even knowing the basics ... absurd.

Jeez. Thanks for the insult. You might find that the Moderators delete your post and take you down for a few days for calling me a moron. You've also questioned if another member has mental disabilities. They have rules about that kind of thing. You're new on here so perhaps you should read them. Imagine how frustrated you would be if you can't insult total strangers.

You know absolutely nothing about me but you've summed me up as an ignorant foreigner who knows nothing. You've been a member on here for five minutes and think you know it all.

I've lived in Thailand for over 25 years, both in Bangkok and the countryside with buffalos as neighbours, so maybe I know a little bit more about Thai culture than you. I also know that I see many Thai people sit in restaurants - mostly in fast-food places - in bare feet with their shoes off, often with their legs tucked under them. Thais take their shoes off at every opportunity, including on the BTS and MRT, as they feel more comfortable that way. A restaurant just isn't the place to do it. In my culture anyway. Obviously it is considered okay in theirs.

Edited by Bangkok Barry
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Otis Cribelcoblis said:

Who am I to judge? I never wear underwear.

Apparently not wearing underwear is less distressing to others than not wearing overwear.

I think people on the BTS find it distressing sitting next to me with fog condensing off the sweat in my shirt, but I’ve never tried taking it off. And wringing it out. Not on the BTS

1 hour ago, Enki said:

Seems, you don't understand. There is a sign at the door if you are supposed to put of your shoes or not. In Thai houses, and that includes in door restaurants, people don't wear dirty shoes full with buffalo shit and dog shit, moron. Oh, you live in BKK and never saw a Buffalo on the streets or Elephant or Buffalo poo?

Really ... living in a foreign culture and not even knowing the basics ... absurd.

Don't take off your shoes on an airplane.

2 hours ago, Enki said:

Any examples?

In my car I can do what want, if I was completely naked police could perhaps somehow fine me, but it is technically not *illegal*.

It is in France to be shirtless away from bathing areas....I'm sure it holds in other places.....Restaurants violate health codes if they allow it....

I was raised in CA & at one time it was illegal to drive shirtless (we got pulled over for it) for health reasons but it doesn't appear against the law now.....I lived within an hours drive to the beach....

Question:  Why does it matter if he came in naked??  Or in a Tuxedo? Really!  WHY??  Is there a law or basis that gives us jurisdiction over what people wear?  I understand if we are talking about child rape, but the OP topic is about something else.  Who cares, it NOT my problem and my opinion doesn't matter.  Am I going to arrest them; call the police; immigration....then what?  Likely, I'll be the only joke for noticing... 

4 minutes ago, mike787 said:

Question:  Why does it matter if he came in naked??  Or in a Tuxedo? Really!  WHY??  Is there a law or basis that gives us jurisdiction over what people wear?  I understand if we are talking about child rape, but the OP topic is about something else.  Who cares, it NOT my problem and my opinion doesn't matter.  Am I going to arrest them; call the police; immigration....then what?  Likely, I'll be the only joke for noticing... 

Its rather unpleasant to see people without shirts on in public , especially in eating places . 

• Like 2

On 1/31/2019 at 8:38 AM, Lacessit said:

I don't wear a shirt in my GF's house. Anywhere else, I wear a shirt because I don't want to frighten people.

Clearly you are talking about well defined cut pecs and a six pack, unlike someone like me, phlobby man boobs and a fleshy bowling ball hanging over my waist....

On 2/2/2019 at 11:41 AM, Bangkok Barry said:

I've lived in Thailand for over 25 years, both in Bangkok and the countryside with buffalos as neighbours, so maybe I know a little bit more about Thai culture than you. I also know that I see many Thai people sit in restaurants - mostly in fast-food places - in bare feet with their shoes off, often with their legs tucked under them. Thais take their shoes off at every opportunity, including on the BTS and MRT, as they feel more comfortable that way. A restaurant just isn't the place to do it. In my culture anyway. Obviously it is considered okay in theirs.

Oh, you suddenly know it is "ok" in their culture? So why do you still say: "A restaurant just isn't the place to do it." Sorry, you have - for your reminder that certain words can not be used - a strange mental way of arguing. Yes, a restaurant *is* the place to do it. It is the *perfect place* to get out of your dirty shoes. 

(*facepalm*) "so maybe I know a little bit more about Thai culture than you." Obviously not.