Not wearing a shirt

georgegeorgia

Not wearing a shirt, whilst in a mall/ restaurant i feel is wrong.
At home i only wear a shirt when its cold (reason being my chest shoulders get very irritable) when wearing 1.
Never go outside the gate without a shirt, i feel it is not polite, if i were to go outside without a shirt, i  would get serious grief from her indoors.
When anybody visits, i am ordered to put a shirt on.

Yes , same here, as soon as I enter my house I take my shirt off and never go outside my gate without one.
If someone comes to my house, whether a visitor or even a delivery man I always throw a shirt on.

Usually work in the garden shirtless unless in direct sunlight then I cover up.

Never seen a foreigner, or Thai, shirtless in a supermarket but have seen a couple of westerners shoeless in Big C , which I thought strange. I believe they were aussies.
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Yes , same here, as soon as I enter my house I take my shirt off and never go outside my gate without one.
If someone comes to my house, whether a visitor or even a delivery man I always throw a shirt on.

Usually work in the garden shirtless unless in direct sunlight then I cover up.

Never seen a foreigner, or Thai, shirtless in a supermarket but have seen a couple of westerners shoeless in Big C , which I thought strange. I believe they were aussies.

How could you tell ???

images-45.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

The only place it is ok to not wear a shirt, is on the beach, at poolside, or in one's own home, or the home of a lover or close friend. Otherwise, it is tasteless, and unpleasant for nearly everyone you encounter. Does not matter whether or not you have a great body. You want to show off your muscles, wear a tank top, or a sleeveless shirt, a la Rafael Nadal. It is tasteful and respectful. This holds especially true when you are in a foreign country. I see Thai men without shirts on often. In or in front of their own homes. Or walking around a small village. No big deal. Nobody minds that. But, out in public? And especially in a big city? Show some self respect, please. 

Spot on. It irks me even more when I see tourists somewhere like Chiang Mai - hundreds of kilometres from the nearest beach wandering around without a shirt on. I get it, the weather is warm, but I bet they wouldn't wander round downtown Sydney or Auckland shirtless just because it was 30 degrees. 

When I first got to Thailand I remember the Chiang Mai cops enforcing the laws forbidding shirtlessness in various areas (in the vicinity of temples, from memory), it's a shame they don't do it a bit more. That said, I'd be happy if they just enforced the law in general. 

1 hour ago, HLover said:
3 hours ago, ebean001 said:

simply ignorant people go without a shirt.

You must be fat.

I've not got a lot of fat on me and am in reasonable physical shape yet I think people who wander around without shirts in public places are idiots. I think your logic is off

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SammyT said:

Spot on. It irks me even more when I see tourists somewhere like Chiang Mai - hundreds of kilometres from the nearest beach wandering around without a shirt on. I get it, the weather is warm, but I bet they wouldn't wander round downtown Sydney or Auckland shirtless just because it was 30 degrees. 

When I first got to Thailand I remember the Chiang Mai cops enforcing the laws forbidding shirtlessness in various areas (in the vicinity of temples, from memory), it's a shame they don't do it a bit more. That said, I'd be happy if they just enforced the law in general. 

I've not got a lot of fat on me and am in reasonable physical shape yet I think people who wander around without shirts in public places are idiots. I think your logic is off

No. It's spot on. Your 'reasonable physical shape' and 'not got a lot of fat' logistically leads me to conclude your fat/overweight.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, robblok said:

Young or old, just wear a T shirt even if your in shape. I don't see the point. Though if it was a girl going topless young and pretty I make an exception.

Yes, attractive topless girls should get a discount imo.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

I was in McDonald’s up at Tuk com when a farang of mature age came in topless and wearing his underwear costume and shirtless .

What about if it was a young farang with a muscular body, would that change your perceptions?

No.

• Like 2

On 1/30/2019 at 1:10 PM, georgegeorgia said:

when do you personally consider someone not wearing a shirt bad manners , im talking about farangs here .

I don't.  Basically it's none of my business, nor anyone else's business for that matter.  If it's against the local ordinances, let the cops take care of it.  If it's not against the law, minding their own business would be a good start for those who are offended.

23 hours ago, luckyluke said:

If some don't wear a shirt in other places than at the beach or swimming pool, it is useless to try to tell them it is inappropriate. 

They won't understand it. 

I just tell the ignorant scum " you are an ugly old B------.

8 hours ago, Pomrakuhn said:

Since I have been coming here for 41 years I have always understood that it is an offense to walk down the street shirtless ? I

Nothing is an offense in Thailand unless it's to do with drugs or immigration, Oh! and of course anything involving brown envelopes, for the BiB.

7 hours ago, joecoolfrog said:

Not wearing a shirt , apart from in obvious circumstances, is plainly ignorant and ill mannered.

Its a manifestation of the ' I will do anything I want ' attitude that is sadly prevalent in much of society.

I am a paid up member of the " I will do anything I want" brigade, but I always watch my manners, and will never do anything against ordinary people.