Clock Ticking On Junta Party’s PM Offer To Prayuth

webfact

12 minutes ago, GarryP said:

I agree with you. As she was officially a commoner, what was unconstitutional about her appointment. No reason to dissolve the party. But the party seriously screwed itself by only appointing one candidate. 

Interesting times ahead. 

Official is the key word. The Royal title is bestowed. She did seek to regain that total title but was denied. She also agreed to participate  as a candidate on her own consent. Yes it was a foolish decision making by Thai Raksa but illegal constitutionally is a stretch too far. The ball is on the junta’s court and dissolving the party may not be the right decision for the election. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, GarryP said:

But the party seriously screwed itself by only appointing one candidate. 

That's why I can't make head or tail of this. I can't imagine they would be so confident her nomination would be endorsed if it's unprecedented. They knew what they were risking so why go all in? I can't figure out the thinking behind it all.

3 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

Official is the key word. The Royal title is bestowed. She did seek to regain that total title but was denied. She also agreed to participate  as a candidate on her own consent. Yes it was a foolish decision making by Thai Raksa but illegal constitutionally is a stretch too far. The ball is on the junta’s court and dissolving the party may not be the right decision for the election. 

Got to add that she is not protected by LM and 112 because she officially not a royal. She can be criticized unlike Prayut. 

It is very interesting to read the various viewpoints here about what has happened. I have my own theory (expressed in earlier posts on this thread) - but others have indicated a plausible scenario in which Thaksin effectively wanted the outcome that resulted, as it reveals the hands of the players. That could well be the case - although on balance, I doubt it. I tend to think Thaksin genuinely believed he could get his candidate through and thus break the military deadlock. But things did not go the way he had wished. Thaksin had miscalculated. The de facto consequence is - yes - that people's hands have been revealed in a stark and dramatic way (but I don't think that was intentionally calculated into the initial move and choice by Thaksin - but I could be wrong, of course).

Whatever lies behind this great mess, the outlook is not promising. I think popular rancour and conflict is much more likely now than before (although still in limited numbers).

Edited by Eligius
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, Eligius said:

It is very interesting to read the various viewpoints here about what has happened. I have my own theory (expressed in earlier posts on this thread) - but others have indicated a plausible scenario in which Thaksin effectively wanted the outcome that resulted, as it reveals the hands of the players. That could well be the case - although on balance, I doubt it. I tend to think Thaksin genuinely believed he could get his candidate through and thus break the military deadlock. But things did not go the way he had wished. Thaksin had miscalculated. The de facto consequence is - yes - that people's hands have been revealed in a stark and dramatic way (but I don't think that was calculated into the initial move and choice by Thaksin - but I could be wrong, of course).

Whatever lies behind this great mess, the outlook is not promising. I think popular rancour and conflict is much more likely now than before (although still in limited numbers).

Fully agreed with your assumptions. I see this as a lost opportunity for a chance at colors conciliation and possibly reunification. I also see this as a lost chance of taming the military and stopping coup at least in the next 8 years. I see a lost chance in for better economy and better life for the people. Now we back to the nasty bleak future. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

Fully agreed with your assumptions. I see this as a lost opportunity for a chance at colors conciliation and possibly reunification. I also see this as a lost chance of taming the military and stopping coup at least in the next 8 years. I see a lost chance in for better economy and better life for the people. Now we back to the nasty bleak future. 

Yes, Eric. I think Thaksin's plan was potentially a master-stroke. He truly believed that he had the relevant parties on-board - and that he had found a way to break the gridlock in Thai politics for several years to come. He knew that if his candidate was voted in by the people - and no manipulations of, or lies about, the vote would have dared to take place, given THAT candidate (and everyone and his pet cat knows that that WOULD indeed have been the case) - then Prayut and his power-group would have lost everything. A whole new direction and dimension would have been brought into Thai politics. A chance for a new beginning.

But Thaksin did not know that there was a very, very cunning and malicious plot in place, in which Prayut was centrally involved (cannot say more). Thaksin's potentially brilliant move backfired, and Prayut reigns even more securely and more strongly now than before. Now there is nothing to stop Prayut riding to victory in the 'polls'. He is home and dry -  (for the time being ....!).

Edited by Eligius
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Eligius said:

and Prayut reigns even more securely and more strongly now than before. Now there is nothing to stop Prayut riding to victory in the 'polls'. He is home and dry -  (for the time being ....!).

Till he falls (or has fallen) out of favour with his paymasters and significant other

speaking to 2 Thai friends one very political in BKK, i have had it intimated he will not be feeling too comfortable

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, poohy said:

Till he falls (or has fallen) out of favour with his paymasters and significant other

speaking to 2 Thai friends one very political in BKK, i have had it intimated he will not be feeling too comfortable

You could be right - everything is up in the air now. But none of it looks good for the ordinary Thais.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Eligius said:

You could be right - everything is up in the air now. But none of it looks good for the ordinary Thais.

That doesn't bother Thaksin. Ordinary Thais are just the little people who don't count, like the red shirt leaders whose names are far down the party list of Thai Raksa Chart even though they have worked hard. And Jaturon Chaisaeng, sorry mate, nothing for you 

5 minutes ago, MrPatrickThai said:

Of course she was denied as there is noone that has the power until they have the coronation.

The ascension with all the power trappings has been official following the demise. The 3 days coronation is a royal tradition for the nation and the people.  

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Eligius said:

But Thaksin did not know that there was a very, very cunning and malicious plot in place, in which Prayut was centrally involved (cannot say more). Thaksin's potentially brilliant move backfired, and Prayut reigns even more securely and more strongly now than before. Now there is nothing to stop Prayut riding to victory in the 'polls'. He is home and dry -  (for the time being ....!).

18 minutes ago, poohy said:

Prayuth's clique (Eastern Tigers) no longer has the power. The power now rests with the Wong Thewan clique headed by Apirat Koongsompong.  Prayuth could still stay on as PM if it serves their needs, but as a puppet. Diddums Prayuth. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, poohy said:

Not so sure he will fall out of favor, the intervention showed he has some powerful backing. 

Interesting times ahead, I am real curious about the election. I don't hope the junta will win, that said no love for Thaksin either but he is marginally les evil and will be subjected to much more checks than the junta if they are in power. So its the better choice. No others have any chance besides the junta and Thaksins proxies.

2 minutes ago, GarryP said:

Prayuth's clique (Eastern Tigers) no longer has the power. The power now rests with the Wong Thewan clique headed by Apirat Koongsompong.  Prayuth could still stay on as PM if it serves their needs, but as a puppet. Diddums Prayuth. 

Interesting where have you read that ? I have no clues about this but how did this power shift come to be ? If there are juice details do tell.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, robblok said:

Interesting where have you read that ? I have no clues about this but how did this power shift come to be ? If there are juice details do tell.

There are numerous articles on the subject in both Thai and English. One of the more recent articles published on New Mandala goes into a lot of detail. Also, Khaosod English mentions the changes at the top. All these have Twitter feeds.   

• Like 2

Just now, GarryP said:

There are numerous articles on the subject in both Thai and English. One of the more recent articles published on New Mandala goes into a lot of detail. Also, Khaosod English mentions the changes at the top. All these have Twitter feeds.   

I don't read new mandela, i do read the Khaosod once in a while but dislike their news website. Must have missed it. 

2 minutes ago, GarryP said:

I would suggest you also add the term New Mandala, otherwise you are going to get a load of hits about a jazz musician. 

But Prayut is a great, great jazz musician - didn't you know, Garry? He is famed for his musical performances, his songs, his poetry, his off-the-cuff improvisations. A real maestro!

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, GarryP said:

If he can sway the military power clique, he too can sway the appointed senators allegiance. After all he has to sign off the appointments in the royal gazette  Rather conspicuous that he don’t see eye to eye with P & his sponsors especially those in the Privy Council. Without the senators support, the curtain will close on Prayut, 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GarryP said:

Be interesting to know what faction those armoured vehicles which were seen moving belonged to. They were the new kit, so probably "the Wong Thewan" camp.

Marvelous nicknames these chaps have: Divine Bloodline, Eastern Tigers! It's obvious why Britain has never had a coup - well with nicknames like "The 'arfurs" (only had half a capbadge it was claimed), "Queens Last Resort" (Queens Lancashire Regiment), The Viet Taff" (Royal Regiment of Wales) and " The Vulgar Fractions" (17/21st Lancers) it would have been a bit embarrassing wouldn't it - not much street cred!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1