I got shafted by a taxi today.

8 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Google maps, it has traffic data in realtime, and tells you the journey time for your destination as you travel.

No need for a cabbie and his local knowledge.

That's what i use now days when i drive myself.  Got a garmin gps when i bought my car, it's good for ex to finding the right lane in large intersections but over all google is best.

• Like 1

Shafted by a taxi- sounds painful. What sort of cream did you use?

3 hrs prior to a flight? Given that the recommendation for checking in to an international flight is 2 hours you only actually gave yourself an hour to get to the airport. Even in a (slightly) less congested place like Phuket I would not cut it that close. In Bangkok,  based on my own time there, I would have given it two hours for the journey (or used the train).

Apply the 7 'P's next time!

"can I make a police report to give to immigration?"  I am sure you probably can and am sure it'll go straight in the bin.

not really sure what this threads about or where it's going but i'd like to point out i'm also not a newbie.

Was dropped off by a stork in mid suckhumvit when i was a baby, read and write perfect thai, drive like a prick, enjoy picking my nose, married a good cashier girl, got a buddha tattoo on my back and a neck full of amulets the lot and i reckon you are onto nothing regarding a stamp which will have no affect on anything ever.

there, we've all wasted each others time now : )

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, forrwhat said:

I have a heavy work bag, an overnight bag, and a briefcase.  The rail sucks if you have to take baggage with you.

I live right at a BTS stop, so can be on a BTS train in about 5 minutes from leaving my condo, however I always catch a taxi to the airport as its a hassle with multiple baggage on the BTS and then hot waiting for the train transfer, which isnt how I like to start a trip O/S. Its only a 30 - 40 minute journey by taxi on a good day to Swampy, but interminable time on a bad day. I always aim to leave home at least 4 hours before my flight. I soak up any extra time in the lounge.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Who takes that rail link? 

It has to be the most inconvenient cock-up of any city rail link I’ve seen....

A taxi is nearly always quicker and much more convenient especially with baggage... unless, of course your taxi driver is a complete clown and drives you into the centre of gridlock.... 

The chances of your driver being a complete clown are very high so I  prefer to use the train or bus.

3 hours ago, Aussieroaming said:

I live right at a BTS stop, so can be on a BTS train in about 5 minutes from leaving my condo, however I always catch a taxi to the airport as its a hassle with multiple baggage on the BTS and then hot waiting for the train transfer, which isnt how I like to start a trip O/S. Its only a 30 - 40 minute journey by taxi on a good day to Swampy, but interminable time on a bad day. I always aim to leave home at least 4 hours before my flight. I soak up any extra time in the lounge.

Yes, I've never taken ARL with loads of luggage... I used it a couple of times when meeting at the airport with a friend who had a long layover, and it's usually pretty packed just with people; I wouldn't fancy using it with even a small amount of luggage.

I'm lucky that I've never hit bad traffic on the way, but I too aim to be *at* the airport three hours before my flight, not leaving home at that time.

1 hour ago, edwardandtubs said:
8 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

A taxi is nearly always quicker and much more convenient especially with baggage... unless, of course your taxi driver is a complete clown and drives you into the centre of gridlock.... 

The chances of your driver being a complete clown are very high so I  prefer to use the train or bus.

Good luck with your luggage on the train or the bus...   

But I agree, with a regular taxi there is a higher chance of your driver being a clown...  a friend of mine had a taxi driver who fell asleep on the way in to town from the Airport - Fortunately my friend was still alert after his trip from the UK and spotted the driver veering across the lane and woke him up...  

IMO - its best to avoid the regular taxis wherever possible, but this doesn't mean taking the train the airport which I just find too inconvenient (getting to Makkasan with luggage etc)...  Its better to just call GrabCar or AOT and have a trouble and worry free trip... (most of the Time - its still possible for the 'Thai effect' to creep in, even when the drivers have the best intentions !).... 

8 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Where I live is not convenient for the airport link, but from Asoke it would be tempting to jump on the airport link at Makassan station (next to Petchburi MRT). When traffic is heavy, getting to the first stage expressway from Asoke can take a while, and the expressway can be jammed sometimes when there is an accident.

5 hours ago, madmen said:

Never ever ever make a deal that requires the taxi scum to pay the tolls for express way.
Why? They will always go the long way to avoid tolls.

Duhhhh!

You pay the toll and you will be at the airport in no time

Agree,i always give them toll money when i get in a taxi.Sometimes they look disapointed.

Where in Bangkok did you get in to the taxi? What was the time you got in to the taxi? What time was your flight scheduled to depart? Which airport was the flight departing from? And what time did the cab arrive at the airport? I'd love to know the answers to these questions.

I sympathize but you shouldn’t have let him be on his phone. I tell them in Thai to knock it off when they don’t follow my instructions, drive to fast, or look at their phone. Zero tolerance.  I also won’t hesi to have them stop and I get out to catch another taxi.

These idiots only push you around if you let them. Take control of the situation and get out of the flipping car if they act up.

12 hours ago, Crossy said:

Not wishing to coin a phrase but next time "let the train take the strain" ????

The last thing that I saw as I lay there on the floor
Was "Jesus saves" painted by an atheist nutter
And a British rail poster read "have an away day, a cheap holiday
Do it today"

The Jam - Down in the Tube Station at Midnight 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

From Asoke he'd have been at check in within 45 minutes including a taxi ride and train waiting time at the ARL, for a total of perhaps 70 or 80 baht. Only exception would be if it was late afternoon rush hour, or he had an unwieldy amount of luggage. 

Edited by lamyai3

8 hours ago, samsensam said:

anyone with experience of living here and/or common sense would include plenty of contingency when estimating the time it will take to get to the airport.

Years ago I would always travel down to Bangkok the day before as you couldn't trust getting to DMG from Pattaya in a timely manner. Nowadays it is probably faster to get to Swampy from Pattaya than Bangkok.

36 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Years ago I would always travel down to Bangkok the day before as you couldn't trust getting to DMG from Pattaya in a timely manner. Nowadays it is probably faster to get to Swampy from Pattaya than Bangkok.

Not true, if you travel light it's more reliable than it ever was now using public transport (rush hour excepted). I've made well over a hundred airport trips to both airports in the past 20 years, the opening of the rail link made a huge difference. Everyone should be behind this kind of transport and pressing for more of it when the capital is gridlocked and choking on diesel fumes. 

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, lamyai3 said:

Not true, if you travel light

I always have a suitcase and my dragging of them around crowded, hot, undergrounds, subways, skytrains whatever is a thing of the past. That kind of transport is an affront to humanity!

We can even get to the airport more comfortably on a bus here in Pattaya, get dropped off at Reung Ruen or in Jomtiem, and a comfortable coach can take you there. 

11 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

I always have a suitcase and my dragging of them around crowded, hot, undergrounds, subways, skytrains whatever is a thing of the past.

Fair enough, I tend to travel fairly light, different circumstances. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Are you joking. Firstly, I do feel for your unlucky turn of events, but seriously you do sound like a newbie. Anything can happen on roads, not just in los, and with so much on the line for this trip (visa etc) you blame the taxi guy. 

You didn't plan well, esp for someone living in bkk. No overstay stamp.

Read the OPs next post. Egg on face time again Dr?