UPDATE: An ‘engine malfunction’ blamed for boat collision off Phuket

webfact

1 hour ago, Mavideol said:

Oh my dear God, what's wrong here, every single day some shit happens with the Chinese,... if I was one of them I would go somewhere else 555

why ?

it's perfectly safe according too...……….

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, LeungKen said:

If anyone else mentions brake failure in a boating accident post again, thinking it is funny will be removed.

Off topic post removed

Um..... brake failure is mentioned in the OP.... is commenting on the OP not allowed? I’m Confused.

5 hours ago, webfact said:

Is that like ‘brake failure’?

• Thanks 1

What was wrong with the steering wheel? Why didn't one of the boat guys shut off the fuel supply? How about raising the outboard so it's above the waterline? Or maybe putting the transmission into neutral?

There are other ways of slowing down than plowing into an oil tanker!

You all appear to be accepting that the captain and crew were looking forward and not down at their phone. Its not the boat that should be investigated its the phones as we see this every day in Thailand. Thai logic says if you can drive a car/mbike whilst on the phone you can steer a boat as there is no other traffic also add the fact that there is generally no forward thinking involved. Cause and effect is not a strong point in Thai logic or education ????

Ken.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, smedly said:

no it's actually brain failure

when are these people going to "man" up and admit the obvious, blame everyone and everything else - after a few hefty fines they might suddenly become enlightened that they are paying the fines and not the Engine - Brakes - Rain or whatever other daft excuse they dream up 

Have you ever, ever heard a Thai admit they were wrong? They can't because they have been brainwashed from birth to believe they are perfect. The clash between that and reality must make their head spin round and round.

• Like 2

It was a twin outboard vessel.

It would be more sensible to claim the steering cable broke, but that could be easily disproven. 

Failing to keep a proper outlook is the only thing that makes any sense.

I now note the other vessel was stationary while refueling a yacht. He should have been passing well clear of them so any malfunction wouldn't cause a collision.

I am traveling to Phuket beginning of march for some diving and time with my lady friend..after reading almost daily reports of injuries or death in Phuket I am thinking that 

1. When I am with my friend I will refuse to travel anywhere on a motorbike..cars may not be much better but stand a chance of not getting seriously injured or killed. The xtra USD for taxis will be cheap compared to repatriating my dead body back to the states.

2. stay off the roads after dark...

3. I am probably safer in the water diving than on land...at least I hope so....LOL

15 hours ago, webfact said:

(Is that like ‘brake failure’?)

Hey!!!!  I was going to say that....

"Engine malfunction" is now the Thai maritime equivalent of land-borne "brake failure."

I wonder if there are going to be any Chinese left to head back to the home country after all of them are finished with their various Thai escapades?  A lot of full hospital beds, and empty plane seats?