Long-term foreigners - Staying or Leaving?

Long-term foreigners - Staying or Leaving?  

302 members have voted

1. 1. Foreigners who have 1 year permission to stay now, what are your plans by your next visa or extension of stay renewal date?

• Definitely leave before next visa or extension of stay date
    • Definitely stay in Thailand at the next visa or extension of stay date
    • May stay at next visa or extension of stay date if 800K baht can be acquired
    • Undecided

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 03/25/2019 at 11:16 AM

Just now, NanLaew said:

Today's obsequiously gloating post-of-the-day award goes (once again) to...

You "see" what you desperately wishes to "see".. But you misses out completely of the ironi, and the fact that the post was more written to remind some people, that English-americans are not the only ones on this planet.

We are a lot more nationalitites and people. And the majority of us do not have problem like you have. So when addressing issues involve all of the members at T-VISA and not just blatenly disregard us.

glegolo

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, lamyai3 said:

Even the new points system they're pushing through for foreign drivers sounds like it could piss a lot of people off.

It's a points system for ALL drivers in Thailand regardless of nationality, just like many, many more civilized and developed countries have been doing for ages. Probably yours included.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Sticky Wicket said:

Yeh I know people who are now petrified of going to immigration. They need a dozen diazepam to get them through it!! 

Immigration seem to enjoy making people sweat, and take immense pleasure from finding a piece of documentation with a tiny error.

That has been going on for a decades or longer. Nothing new. Just the ritualized hoop jump Visa IO  run.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, DrJack54 said:

The new rules are nothing. Except if you don't have funds behind you. I would be far more concerned with ongoing strength of Thai baht. 

If you have the Funds, the strength of the Thai baht means peanuts. Unless you a re speculating in real estate :biggrin:.

Edited by LomSak27

56 minutes ago, Sticky Wicket said:

Plus Hawaii is a relatively small island of 1.5 million so needs to be proactive so as not to be overrun.

Disagree. Hawaii is so up itself, it's a wonder the locals can see straight in the mornings. Like Singapore, Phuket and Samui, it must be this 'island' thing.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

It's a points system for ALL drivers in Thailand regardless of nationality, just like many, many more civilized and developed countries have been doing for ages. Probably yours included.

That's what you got from my post? 

2 hours ago, dcnx said:

Not interested in spending the rest of my life living in visa uncertainty, surrounded by some of the most uneducated people on the planet, and driving on literally some of the most deadly roads in the world. 

So True.

But many on  Tv, just don't notice the above.

Maybe most don't live here for real. :jap:

Ps, i'm still staying, Soi 6 is still a laugh and a few other venues 

for P4P. :thumbsup:

Edited by stanleycoin

16 minutes ago, glegolo said:

You "see" what you desperately wishes to "see".. But you misses out completely of the ironi, and the fact that the post was more written to remind some people, that English-americans are not the only ones on this planet.

We are a lot more nationalitites and people. And the majority of us do not have problem like you have. So when addressing issues involve all of the members at T-VISA and not just blatenly disregard us.

glegolo

TBH, it's pretty hard to disregard you glegolo, me old mate, when you keep banging the same old gong.

Anyway, me old mate, enjoy your much vaunted minority celebrity status here. For as long as you're allowed to that is.

Edited by NanLaew
sp
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, glegolo said:

For me and the clear majority of the foreigners here in Thailand, we will use our income-letters and life will go on, and we will continue living here just as before. The few of you that can not access this income-letters any more, have some problems and we will probably see a lot of you leaving Thailand, due to the fact that you cannot anymore "live up" to the income you did "mention" earlier in the affadavit to your embassy.... 

glegolo

This ceasing of issuing "Affidavits of Income" wasn't just an arbitrary mindfart from the respective embassies. The decision was based on being notified that the income must be documented by the embassy, something which the embassies don't have the inclination or staff to to.

Maybe the Glegoloian Embassy wasn't notified. However, if it has been or is notified, there is a good chance it will also have to decline the decumentation, and those affidavits won't be worth the paper on which they were written.

4 hours ago, laowai1960 said:

I recall during the weeks leading up to Y2K, there were many doomsayers predicting all manner of disasters, including the possibility of planes falling out of the sky.

Likewise, in the weeks leading up to Brexit, there are many predicting financial ruin for the UK. In the event of a so-called 'hard exit', I suspect that there may well be a short term 'shock' but then life in UK will return to normal (and personally I think the UK will prosper).

As for the changes to the rules for extending 'retirement visas', I suspect that few foreigners will leave Thailand for that reason alone. I suspect that there will continue to be various processes through which extensions of stay can be acquired.

"I suspect that there will continue to be various processes through which extensions of stay can be acquired." I think that i have read somewhere that there are ways to continue extensions . This topic has been done to death hundred of times already.

• Like 1

Just now, Curt1591 said:

This ceasing of issuing "Affidavits of Income" wasn't just an arbitrary mindfart from the respective embassies. The decision was based on being notified that the income must be documented by the embassy, something which the embassies don't have the inclination or staff to to.

Maybe the Glegoloian Embassy wasn't notified. However, if it has been or is notified, there is a good chance it will also have to decline the decumentation, and those affidavits won't be worth the paper on which they were written.

The "grape may be sour" for you, but nevertheless I wish you good luck..

glegolo

6 minutes ago, Curt1591 said:

Oh... now you've gone and made it personal.

2 minutes ago, glegolo said:

The "grape may be sour" for you, but nevertheless I wish you good luck..

glegolo

Most excellent, non-confrontational rebuff post-of-the-day award goes to...

Nice one glegolo, me old mate. Cheers.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sticky Wicket said:

You are comparing 3rd world and 1st world . Incomparable due to services and welfare etc.

Plus Hawaii is a relatively small island of 1.5 million so needs to be proactive so as not to be overrun. 

Compare that to the islands here where they couldn't give a shit and the  are becoming unsustainable 

I'd say Hawaii and Thailand are similar in many ways. There is no such thing as 3 rd world countries these days.

Developing countries.

$1 million invested in a foreign company is very different to 800,000 baht sitting in a bank account.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I thought Thailand wanted to become a medical hub?

And don't they charge foreigners x5?

Exactly, they want those with insurance to go to private hospitals.

They don't want sick foreigners with no insurance, getting the benefit of subsidized government hospitals. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2