SCB bank require a confirmation showing at least 1 years residency from immigration

3 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

I think what was wanted was proof a person was staying here long term. Residency perhaps was not exactly that was being asked for.

A one year extension of stay stamp or a entry OA long stay visa would prove that.

In my case they could see that have not been out of the country for years.

Same for me at my local SCB branch as it was for you, except they also asked me for the Tambien Baan and my lease agreement and my wife’s Thai ID Card but I was still able to open the account in my name only in only 30 minutes with no paperwork from immigration at all.  They did make copies of my original visa in my old passport and copies of my extension stamps and all of my exit and entry stamps in my new passport and my old passport so you’re right.  

Although I do think they have added some new rules since you opened your account I remember when I opened my first Bangkok Bank Account back in 2015 it was a lot easier back then but again that was a joint account with my wife.  

My current SCB account is in my name only and from what I understand it has to be in my name only for immigration purposes which was why I opened the new SCB account in the first place, and I’m glad I did because I’ve found that SCB is a lot better than Bangkok Bank at least from my own personal experience where I live anyway dealing with my local branches of both banks.  I think it really does depend on the bank branch because I’ve seen that for myself as well.  I know that back in the day it was a lot easier to open any Thai bank account but they really have gotten a bit stricter, again depending on what branch you use.  I’m happy with my SCB account.  

22 hours ago, CharlieH said:

Dont put up with it, go to another bank/branch, they are all like franchises and operate differently.

You could go in there tomorrow and see someone else and get a totally different response. Happens more than you would think.

That’s true, it really is I’ve seen that many times in life as well, but from my experience dealing with Thai banks it depends a lot on the bank manager.  Sometimes you do just have to go to a different branch or a different bank.  

Edited by Jim7777

On 2/27/2019 at 2:28 PM, scubascuba3 said:

Try different branches and banks. It took me 3 to find a friendly bank

That’s kind of how it worked for me as well it took me 2 to find a friendly bank, I spoke with 2 different managers at two different banks.  For me ironically it turned out to be my local SCB branch that is best for me where I live but it depends on what branch you use and more specifically the manager of your local bank branches.  In my case SCB is a million times better than Bangkok Bank but again it just depends on what branch and especially the specific bank manager.  It really does because where I live the Bangkok Bank branch manager was kind of a dick, but the SCB branch manager where I live was extremely helpful she was totally awesome.  

If they give you a hard time ask to speak with the manager and if the manager also gives you a hard time then don’t waste your time just go to a different bank or branch.  That worked for me as well and I’m very happy with my local SCB branch.  

Edited by Jim7777

20 hours ago, 4evermaat said:

could be a letter of residence from immigration.

But, if such a letter were to indicate that he had lived in Thailand for less than a year, it would seemingly not cut the mustard as far as SCB were concerned - meaning that he could be faced with a classic Catch-22 situation at least as far as that particular bank was concerned if his primary motive for seeking a new account with them was to comply with the Immigration Bureau's new monthly income requirements for retirement and marriage extensions! As already said, the only way of avoiding such a crazy situation would be for him to take his banking business elsewhere.

Edited by OJAS