Scamming At Immigration

Just now, steve73 said:

I'm meeting plenty of people who are still not aware that thing are changing... including a Brit pal who just recently asked me about the income letter.  Not everyone is on TV, or reads the BKK post or Nation. 

doesn't matter,  if he had done it the same as he had done it the previous 10 years he would have been fine as NOTHING had changed up until Today

2 minutes ago, phuketrichard said:

doesn't matter,  if he had done it the same as he had done it the previous 10 years he would have been fine as NOTHING had changed up until Today

The income letters were stopped being issued approx. 2 months ago....  The bank deposit for income alternative was introduced in Dec... The 800k extended seasoning has been being applied (in many offices) since it was announced last month.  Not a lot has changed today from what I can see. 

3 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

I think if the OP seasons his account at more than 800,000 baht for 3 months is it?... (and now 2 months afterwards)....  he will then meet the requirements... 

So.. OP - for how many months have you had more than 800,000 baht in your account?...   It may be possible to fly out and do a visa run or apply for a tourist Vientiane etc while you bide your time seasoning 800,000 baht in your account. 

Unless of course I'm missing something. 

EDIT: And by the way, Embassies stopping the affirmation on Income has nothing to do with the Thai's - its to do with the Embassies themselves being unable to accurately affirm the claims made on income without a great deal of effort, thus opening them up to incorrect statements. Too many people were making false claims which could not be accurately verified opening the Embassy up to criticism of flawed affirmations. 

2 hours ago, fforest1 said:

So the 4 embassies were just fine issuing the income letter for the past 20 years...And then with-in weeks they all decided hey we were pretty stupid for the last 20 years issuing a income letter we can not verify.....Never mind it says right on the letter they are only notarizing a statement...

There is a 99.9% chance that it was Thai immigration that was the force behind stopping the letters.....And thats a fact.....

The embassies could, and did, take people at their sworn word. Then, the Thai Immigrations wanted documentation of the income. This is where the respective embassies bowed out. They didn't have in inclination, let alone the staffing, to do the checking. 

On the subject of documentation, Thai Immigration will not accept documentation issue from one's own country. I had my officially issued IRA, SSI and pension statements in hand. When shown to the immigration officer, she said it had to be documented by the embassy. Since I had previous discussed these documents with my embassy, I already knew they wouldn't accept them either; they simply choose to stay out of the mix.

Back to square one!

This January, the Bangkok Immigration office accepted my embassy notarised "Affidavit of Income", issued last November.

Just in case, I had the 800,000 THB in a Thai bank as back up. 

Edited by Curt1591

just got a message my friend was rejected today at chaengwattana for he presented his german embassy letter confirming 69k monthly pension but imo wanted add. the bankbook with monthly transfers for the retirement extension ???? what is goin on ???

wbr

roobaa01

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, Just Weird said:

"There is a 99.9% chance that it was Thai immigration that was the force behind stopping the letters.....And thats a fact.....".

No, it's not, a "chance", regardless of your guessed percentage, definitely is not a "fact". 

If what you claimed was true then every Embassy would have had to stop issuing the letters and Immigration would no longer accept them.  As it is Immigration have stated that if your Embassy still issues the letters you have to use them.

All very true, but it's been done to death in other threads. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, roobaa01 said:

that 800k agent service will stop nationwide as of today for the new rules kick in.

wbr

roobaa01

Of course, this is exactly what is happening.

I think some people have been forgetting that.

2 hours ago, AGITATORKEN said:

It is simply a Thai scam. I will leave before I let 800000 rot in a Thai bank at .5%.

Sent from my SM-T713 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Why didn't you get your affidavit from your embassy, before they stopped issuing them? Valid for 6 months. Jontien immigration are still accepting them.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, brokenbone said:

why am i not surprised it was jomtien ?

I'm very surprised, been going there for years and never had the slightest problem. One of the better IOs.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, connda said:

Been here since 2008 and just made his first post in Thai Visa?  Not saying impossible, but.....   :dry

I was hear quite a few years before I even looked at this site. After I did look at it, it took a while before I posted.

3 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Hard to understand why anyone would go into an extension application process at this point thinking the averaging method was going to be accepted.  But then again, it's a member making what appears to be their first post... so perhaps they haven't been reading or paying attention.

But how does this effect the COMBINED method of income plus balance? I have yet to hear a clear explanation of that. Example: I deposit 50,000 a month. At the end of the year, my savings plus deposits exceeds 800k. Is this option still available? 

If it is, then what exactly are the seasoning requirements, if any, for the savings component? What are the minimum-deposit requirements for the combined method, if any? I'd like to have this in my back pocket if this method is still available. 

Thanks. 

• Like 1

just shows what a load of idiots the guys at immigration are, as one has said, how can anyone show 12 months deposits as we did not know of the new ruling until last OCTOBER ish, do they think we are all psyhic, i give up

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Ebumbu said:

But how does this effect the COMBINED method of income plus balance? I have yet to hear a clear explanation of that. Example: I deposit 50,000 a month. At the end of the year, my savings plus deposits exceeds 800k. Is this option still available? 

If it is, then what exactly are the seasoning requirements, if any, for the savings component? What are the minimum-deposit requirements for the combined method, if any? I'd like to have this in my back pocket if this method is still available. 

Thanks. 

Item #5 might seem to imply the combination may work. However, this is Thailand; all things are open to interpretation! 

https://www.immigration.go.th/content/service_22

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

seasoning under the old system 800k for 1 hour in the bankbook. now 5 months 800k, thereafter 400k for 6 months. now who can provide x billion thb for that period ?? perhaps the bank branch ceates virtual money in a separate accounting system.

wbr

roobaa01

33 minutes ago, roobaa01 said:

seasoning under the old system 800k for 1 hour in the bankbook. now 5 months 800k, thereafter 400k for 6 months. Now who can provide x billion thb for that period ?? perhaps the bank branch ceates virtual money in a separate accounting system.

wbr

roobaa01

If the agent keeps the interest earned on the money in the account, and charges (as an earlier poster said 35,000 baht for the service), and you look at the legwork of running to immigration as "loan origination costs," then the "passbook seasoning" operation can effectively be seen as a loansharking operation. Consider:

800,000 untouched in a Bangkok bank 3 yr fixed term account would earn 1.62% interest (minus tax .15%) = 11,016 baht return on capital for an ordinary depositor.

But the seasoning agent (not taking into consideration any bribes or expenses he has to pay) who is charging 35,000 baht for this service, would be earning 4.375% on his 800,000 capital expense. If the agent keeps the 11,016 in interest earned on this capital as well, this would earn a total of 46,016 baht or a 5.752% return (3.55 times more than an ordinary depositor would earn), which is a sufficiently attractive rate of return to attract capital.

Edited by Gecko123
  • Thanks 1