Scamming At Immigration

4 minutes ago, Gecko123 said:

If the agent keeps the interest earned on the money in the account, and charges (as an earlier poster said 35,000 baht for the service), and you look at the legwork of running to immigration as "loan origination costs" then the "passbook seasoning" operation effectively becomes a loansharking operation. Consider:

800,000 untouched a Bangkok bank fixed term account would earn 1.62% interest (minus tax .15%) = 11,016 baht return on capital.

But the seasoning agent (not taking into consideration any bribes he has to pay) who is charging 35,000 baht for this service, would be earning 4.375% on his 800,000 capital expense. If the agent keeps the 11,016 in interest earned on this capital as well, this would earn a total of 46,016 baht or a 5.752% return, which is sufficiently high a rate of return to attract capital.

its still considerably cheaper then what i used to pay

for ed visas, that had no agent attached

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Thaidream said:

As far as I have read , the Embassy Letter is being accepted and it is valid for 6 months and that includes the 4 Embassies who no longer issue the income letter.  

On this forum we have had reports of it being accepted at Chiang Mai; Chaengwattana; Jomtien; Korat and several others. There have been reports of individual IO's asking  for added documentation that an applicant actually has an income of 65K per month.

The OP's report about Jomtien is also accurate as I have an acquaintance that  had the Embassy Letter but could not prove his income  that he had stated on the  Embassy Letter  but as soon as he  went out the door of the imm Office- an agent  was able to get the extension for a 'fee'.

IMHO- going in with just the Embassy Letter may not be enough- I plan on bringing proof of monthly income and printouts of my US Bank Account showing  direct deposits in the same amount as on the Embassy Letter plus  the form letter showing  Embassy Letters  good for 6 months And also the printout of the letter from Immigration Hq requesting lenience in the first year.

In regards to the OP- he certainly has the required income  in the bank- and  while it may not have been seasoned properly or  transferred each month-  an exception could and should have been made.  We all know why they were playing hardball.

To be clear...... Buriram Immigration stated categorically that they will not accept embassy letters.......irrespective of the British embassy “6 month validity”.

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, LucysDad said:

o be clear...... Buriram Immigration stated categorically that they will not accept embassy letters.......irrespective of the British embassy “6 month validity”.

Lucky I don't live in their jurisdiction- and  too bad Buriram is not following the official rules. This is a perfect example of why expats are  feeling so irritated with the system and many are voting with their feet.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Thaidream said:

Lucky I don't live in their jurisdiction- and  too bad Buriram is not following the official rules. This is a perfect example of why expats are  feeling so irritated with the system and many are voting with their feet.

I agree.

Rules should be transparent, understandable and consistently applied across all immigration offices.

I was just reporting evidence that, as we know, there is no consistency. In my case it was also a waste of £52.

• Like 2

I did not realize they were good for 6 months. My fault for missing that one but that would just delay the problem a year. I am unwilling to pay a $50 transfer fee every month.

Why didn't you get your affidavit from your embassy, before they stopped issuing them? Valid for 6 months. Jontien immigration are still accepting them.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

2 hours ago, mercman24 said:

just shows what a load of idiots the guys at immigration are, as one has said, how can anyone show 12 months deposits as we did not know of the new ruling until last OCTOBER ish, do they think we are all psyhic, i give up

I have mine in my bank book for 3 years.  How else would I get the money?

• Thanks 1

Then what exactly do 600 people do at the American Embassy in Bangkok. The largest US embassy in the world and they do absolutely nothing for Americans living in Thailand.

The embassies could, and did, take people at their sworn word. Then, the Thai Immigrations wanted documentation of the income. This is where the respective embassies bowed out. They didn't have in inclination, let alone the staffing, to do the checking. 

On the subject of documentation, Thai Immigration will not accept documentation issue from one's own country. I had my officially issued IRA, SSI and pension statements in hand. When shown to the immigration officer, she said it had to be documented by the embassy. Since I had previous discussed these documents with my embassy, I already knew they wouldn't accept them either; they simply choose to stay out of the mix.

Back to square one!

This January, the Bangkok Immigration office accepted my embassy notarised "Affidavit of Income", issued last November.

Just in case, I had the 800,000 THB in a Thai bank as back up. 

7 minutes ago, AGITATORKEN said:

I did not realize they were good for 6 months. My fault for missing that one but that would just delay the problem a year. I am unwilling to pay a $50 transfer fee every month.

3 minutes ago, AGITATORKEN said:

because once the announced they were good for 6 months, there were no appointments availiable at the American embassy. I did try.

Make your mind up. I have an American friend who got an appointment a week before they ceased issuing them.

I sounds as it's all for the best. You clearly weren't happy here. This has just forced your hand. You'll probably thank them when you are settled back in the States.

God and Big Joke work in mysterious ways.

• Like 2

100K a month, I could manage on that as long as I didn't have big rent to pay.

Moon: American: Non-o, at Least 3 US G paychecks per month. I used to transfer more than 100k THB per month to cover 65k min rent and golf from Boa through BB NyC to BB BBK.

BB NYC is converting to the International ACH Transfer (IAT) USA rules on moving funds is point to point direct deposit accounts
This has always been complex and labor intensive for most banks so you would be hard pressed. To find a bank like BB NYC to do the shuffle Without a 3rd financial institution .

Albeit,the uS Treasury has been adhering to this law and in Bb NYC opinion, they can still process from a USG originator. They have only been routinely working with Social Security. It shook the bushes- except the FM 1199 applies to most all USG pensions etc

Then the Swift /Oban route looked like a solution but some how they need the third institution?

Last week I Swift transferred 10000
THB directly from BoA to my BB BKK Savings account with my name and Bangkok address (NO APO) with no problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

2 minutes ago, Moon37 said:

THB directly from BoA to my BB BKK Savings account with my name and Bangkok address (NO APO) with no problems.

Have you spent it all yet?

• Haha 2

24 minutes ago, AGITATORKEN said:

You also wrote, " because once the announced they were good for 6 months, there were no appointments availiable at the American embassy. I did try. "

Which is it?  You messed up or no appointments available? 

It was reported here that there were appointments available. 

Edited by marcusarelus
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, marcusarelus said:

I have mine in my bank book for 3 years.  How else would I get the money?

I have to think you posted this in jest, so I will respond in a humorous fashion. 

Many use these little plastic things called "ATM Cards," which even work internationally, if you can believe it - a neat little invention. 

Evidently, Immigration doesn't know those exist yet either, which would account for demanding "cash or travelers checks only" for tourists at the airports, and their "monthly international transfers" scheme.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, giddyup said:

Why didn't you just deposit 800,000 baht of that 1.4 mill into a fixed deposit for 3 months, that would satisfy immigration. I've been using that method for 9 years without any problems.

Because up until quite recently, the OP, like thousands of others, didn't need to?

• Like 1

Moon: American: Non-o, at Least 3 US G paychecks per month. I used to transfer more than 100k THB per month to cover 65k min rent and golf from Boa through BB NyC to BB BBK.

BB NYC is converting to the International ACH Transfer (IAT) USA rules on moving funds is point to point direct deposit accounts
This has always been complex and labor intensive for most banks so you would be hard pressed. To find a bank like BB NYC to do the shuffle Without a 3rd financial institution .

Albeit,the uS Treasury has been adhering to this law and in Bb NYC opinion, they can still process from a USG originator. They have only been routinely working with Social Security. It shook the bushes- except the FM 1199 applies to most all USG pensions etc

Then the Swift /Oban route looked like a solution but some how they need the third institution?

MOON con’t

So far there has positive notifications about my transfer and a statement from BoA that myself to myself. BA Transfer is coded as an International-transfer. Just waiting to see if it gets kicked back by BB BKK

Speed is life life is speed - Moon

12 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

I have to think you posted this in jest, so I will respond in a humorous fashion. 

Many use these little plastic things called "ATM Cards," which even work internationally, if you can believe it - a neat little invention. 

Evidently, Immigration doesn't know those exist yet either, which would account for demanding "cash or travelers checks only" for tourists at the airports, and their "monthly international transfers" scheme.

I live here.  One of the reasons I like living here is the cash society.  I thought 20 years ago the USD was at a high relative the Thai baht so I moved my money from the USA to Thailand. 

8 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

I think if the OP seasons his account at more than 800,000 baht for 3 months is it?... (and now 2 months afterwards)....  he will then meet the requirements... 

So.. OP - for how many months have you had more than 800,000 baht in your account?...   It may be possible to fly out and do a visa run or apply for a tourist Vientiane etc while you bide your time seasoning 800,000 baht in your account. 

Unless of course I'm missing something. 

EDIT: And by the way, Embassies stopping the affirmation on Income has nothing to do with the Thai's - its to do with the Embassies themselves being unable to accurately affirm the claims made on income without a great deal of effort, thus opening them up to incorrect statements. Too many people were making false claims which could not be accurately verified opening the Embassy up to criticism of flawed affirmations. 

The American Consulate clerks never had a problem collecting $50 to notarise the income letters until they were asked to verify the amount of money the person was swearing he was receiving monthly.  This simple task does not take a certified accountant to verify.  Someone with a sixth grade reading level comprehension should have no problem doing this especially since they are collecting $50 a letter.  

None of this comes as a surprise.  Government workers tend not to be that motivated anyway, so they should be happy now they have less work to do and still receive the same pay check.

Thai Immigration officers should be happy too since they will have far less foreigners to deal with that either can't or won't go alone with their plan to make the Thai bankers wealthy for doing little to no work.  

It looks like one big happy party, until you look at a lot of Isaan women along with their kids waving goodbye to their foreign husbands they will never see again.  Countries like Mexico, Panama, and Portugal are looking far more attractive today as retirement destinations.  I don't thing we will see anymore travel articles about retiring in Thailand either.  ????

12 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

Social Security

Thank you. Because you had mentioned a fee of 200 Baht I was wracking my brain to think of a Thai bank that could possibly be meant with SS. Mystery solved.