Success opening BKK Bank account

21 hours ago, mikebell said:

All well and good till you come to use the 'visa' card on line.  They issued me, at first, with a POS Chinese Unionpay card with which I was severely embarrassed in Vientiane.

I stormed into my branch on my return as people on here said the Bank were issuing proper cards from November 2018.

Got mine - AOK as an ATM.  As soon as I tried to pay for air tickets, same problem as Unionpay.  Had to use my UK card with all the attendant foreign currency charges.

You can only have a Credit card (by keeping a top-up account) -  BKK bank don't do debit cards  anymore.

Why not obtain/utilise a U.K. card that doesn't have any charges? There are many. No excuse unless you no longer have any ties to the U.K. But since you state that you still have a U.K. card.

If you don't still go there, but still have friends with a U.K. address there, you could try; https://loot.io

Then get them to send the card out to you.

27 minutes ago, mikebell said:

Jack, have you used it on-line yet?  I note you mention foreign businesses.  I tried with British Airways and was refused.  The BKK bank lady admitted it was useless for this type of transaction.

I have used my Bangkok Bank MasterCard several times for international purchase as well as here.

I you set the daily limit yet. The normally are set to a 5000 baht daily purchase limit by default. You need set the limit by calling 1333.

You can also check to see what the limit is using online or mobile banking.

3 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

I have used my Bangkok Bank MasterCard several times for international purchase as well as here.

I you set the daily limit yet. The normally are set to a 5000 baht daily purchase limit by default. You need set the limit by calling 1333.

Thank you, Joe.  I'm pretty sure it was you who told me BKK bank were starting Mastercard back in November.  I use on-line (bualuang?) banking all the time.  Will look to increase the credit limit.  I am going to Vietnam this month & don't want a repeat of Vientiane experience.

50 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

I also had success so far, but hadn't tried it with anything over $50 or so on overseas purchases.  It is very good to know about this limit, which may explain why some others reported problems.

26 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

I also had success so far, but hadn't tried it with anything over $50 or so on overseas purchases.  It is very good to know about this limit, which may explain why some others reported problems.

I learned about it when I first got my Visa debit card years ago. Tryed to you use it at a store and it failed. Went to the bank was informed about it and got it fixed.

On ‎3‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 10:11 PM, Date Masamune said:

Now that I think about it you are most probably right, sorry about the confusion. It is the embassy/consular letter they need.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can get a certificate of residence from Thai immigration (300 baht) or you can go to your embassy and get one there, I was told this by staff

at Bangkok Bank last week. and yes you do need one to open an account at the main branch Central Festival Pattaya . so no need for sorry you are correct in what you stated.

Edited by zoza

300 baht? In Chiang Mai I think it is 1000 baht via a bribe (through an agent) or free of you can wait 4-6 weeks. I would never do that as it falls under the OECD Foreign Corrupt Practices act of 1977,. I may make mistakes out of ignorance or omission but would never knowingly commit an overt crime.

As a US citizen bribing a foreign official is illegul.

On 3/2/2019 at 8:00 AM, Kerryd said:

Yeah - it's seems that most people don't have a problem at all, while some people, for some reason, seem to have nothing but problems.

I'm sure a lot of them won't admit that they themselves were the problem, blaming the banks instead.
Some of them no doubt think they've figured out how to extend their holiday by trying to open a chequing account, hoping they can deposit 100 baht and get a book full of shiny new cheques they can bounce before flying home.

Others try getting a credit card, no doubt with the same intent, as though the banks here are too stupid to figure out what they are trying to do.

I wonder how many people, staying in a hotel/guest house, with 3-4 days left on their 30 Day stamps, try opening a chequing account (or get a credit card) and then run to ThaiVisa (or another forum) and whine when they get turned down.

Meanwhile, hordes of people with an actual address go to the same bank(s) and ask to open a simple Savings account and walk out a few minutes later with a passbook and ATM card with next to no problems at all.

quote "Meanwhile, hordes of people with an actual address go to the same bank(s) and ask to open a simple Savings account and walk out a few minutes later with a passbook and ATM card with next to no problems at all."

I opened an account at the BigC branch in my own name in mid January this year. It did take around 1 1/2 hours but it was simple enough after the counter lady rang the call centre and I explained what I needed.

I took a very old BKKB book, passport, my yellow house book and my Thai driving licence. It cost me 1,000 baht but in reality it was only 400 baht as the other 600 baht went into my account as an opening balance.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/2/2019 at 9:01 AM, jesimps said:

Absolute nonsense!

I've been here 12 years, have accounts with three other banks.  Attempted to open a Bangkok Bank account at one brance, they told me I needed a residence cert from immigration. Went to another branch a few miles away, opened one just using my passport. 

You're attempting to shift the blame to the farang attempting to open the accounts, when the problem is that all the bank branches are working to different rules.

Can you tell me what bank you went to? I live in Pattaya, thanks

On 3/2/2019 at 10:24 PM, seajae said:

sorry mate but for me it was extremely easy, waited in the queue, showed my passport and residency certificate, deposited a few thousand baht and was given a pass book and a visa card, was with Bangkok Bank too, maybe it can be due to the person applying or what they are using to get approval

Was it a branch in Pattaya? What branch?

Yeah - it's seems that most people don't have a problem at all, while some people, for some reason, seem to have nothing but problems.

I'm sure a lot of them won't admit that they themselves were the problem, blaming the banks instead.

YES! Exactly that! Not only banks but also everything else.

18 hours ago, Dnyy said:

YES! Exactly that! Not only banks but also everything else.

Q: "I followed what people reported worked here, but it didn't work.  Why?"

A: "It must just be you, because it worked for me."

Q: "But many other people are reporting the same problem."

A: "They must just be people who have problems, because it worked for me."

Q: "I went outside and it was raining, but the weatherman last night said it would not rain.  Why?"

A: "Nonesense, I went out the day before yesterday and it was bright and sunny."