Expats in Thailand considering moving to Latin America prompted by Thai visa changes

Jingthing

9 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Cartago another place I haven't heard of. Looking it up I see it's a town not too far from Pereira. I see it's lower elevation than Armenia and Pereira and much lower than Manizales, so of course the weather is WARMER. Sure, of course, I would definitely like to see pictures and info about your experiences living in the coffee region.

Did you spend any time in Armenia Colombia? I'm particularly interested in the more "upscale" North Side there.

Yes Pereira is much warmer and I lived there for a few months. But, I spent time in Pereira, Armenia. Really all over the mountain region. I am a birder, and that was my main objective. I spent all of my time with the locals and made some good friends there. 

I broke my wrist in a bad climbing accident and was operated on in Cartago, excellent health care. And extremely cheap.

Manizales, Pereira, Armenia, I met a few very nice women. If that is your thing?  Colombian women are not my cup of tea,  But, different strokes I guess.

I didn't spend but a few day's in Armenia so I cannot answer your questions about it. 

That is a very special region in Colombia for me as a birder, and I will be going back soon I hope.

I will try and find some pics. I was looking on my phone and I deleted most all of them to free up space. I will see if I can grab some off my facebook page.

Edited by garyk
  • Like 1

That's interesting.
You have a specific special interest. Birding.
What you said about the friendliness of the people there is consistent with most reports from the region.
I assume you didn't have a cedula or health insurance so do you have any thoughts on the price of your operation in Cartago compared to a private hospital in Thailand?
So you spent some time living in Pereira. Any impressions you can share about living in that city?

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

5 hours ago, bttao said:
Bars on windows is so common in most old world countries ( practice which Mexico /Latin America kept ).... it has nothing to do with today's crime.
In the US we have dogs for security...

That's true. But even so that area looks kind of rough. Personally I would want to live in a somewhat more upscale setting. I had a quick look online at rentals in that city and indeed at the 500 usd monthly level you can find more attractive places. Especially considering online probably isn't the best place to look for the best prices.

https://www.vivanuncios.com.mx/

But that place looks OK and serviceable at least for a shorter term stay and the price is right especially for a big city.

BTW, to Gary, how did you locate that housing and what was required to rent it as far as security deposits, etc.?

Edited by Jingthing

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

That's true. But even so that area looks kind of rough. Personally I would want to live in a somewhat more upscale setting. I had a quick look online at rentals in that city and indeed at the 500 usd monthly level you can find more attractive places.

These is lower middle class folks. 

I looked in newer neighborhoods. And decided that this was the best bang for the buck.

Everyone has different needs.

Health insurance? No I had none. I think the total bill was 1600 dollars.  I have been in the hospital in Thailand many times, but never in a first class hospital. When i got hurt in Thailand it was usually in the sticks, and the local hospitals was all that was available. So I cannot comment on that. Although the few times I was in the hospital in Thailand I thought the care was very good and very cheap.

I am from south Texas and I am used to Mexico. Keep doing your homework, and good luck if you decide to move. 

This ain't Asia....  Be careful.

Edited by garyk
  • Thanks 1

This may be of interest. Here are a few shots from Filandia. Close to where you are thinking of moving. You will see this for sure if you get in the area. Great fresh trout from the local stream. Make sure you ask about this fresh trout. It is delicious. 

20799469_830745810413951_3511806235109953535_n.jpg

20840859_830745837080615_3811137964836600697_n.jpg

20914246_830745877080611_6741702408688764937_n.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, garyk said:

I lived here for a few months in Cartago.

Free buffet breakfast very nice people.

20881999_831907203631145_8248984407303022802_n.jpg

20882706_831907246964474_7696520920716642771_n.jpg

20883094_831907226964476_8677957867462715718_n.jpg

Looks lovely. 

Is that a hotel or what? Furnished? What was the monthly rent?

Edited by Jingthing

29 minutes ago, garyk said:

This may be of interest. Here are a few shots from Filandia. Close to where you are thinking of moving. You will see this for sure if you get in the area. Great fresh trout from the local stream. Make sure you ask about this fresh trout. It is delicious. 

Yes, I've seen some amazing videos about towns close to Armenia including Salento and Filandia. Yes, the trout is famous. Such amazing scenery in that area combined with pleasant weather except for the rainy season. What's not to like? Maybe you can give us some hints.

BTW, I'm sure you know, but to others Filandia means daughter of the Andes mountains (not about Finland). 

Completely furnished, free breakfast (excellent) Air conditioning. It was a hotel. Make sure you don't let them rip you off. In Colombia if a tourist you do not have to pay the hotel taxes. And rent by the month. The rooms were not that nice compared to nice digs. But, maid service daily!!!  11 dollars a night is what is averaged out at on a monthly basis... haha..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, garyk said:

I looked in newer neighborhoods. And decided that this was the best bang for the buck.

Health insurance? No I had none. I think the total bill was 1600 dollars.  I have been in the hospital in Thailand many times, but never in a first class hospital. When i got hurt in Thailand it was usually in the sticks, and the local hospitals was all that was available. So I cannot comment on that. Although the few times I was in the hospital in Thailand I thought the care was very good and very cheap.

I am from south Texas and I am used to Mexico. Keep doing your homework, and good luck if you decide to move. 

I didn't mean to imply there was anything wrong with your housing in Mexico. I could definitely live in a such a place, I've lived in much worse in the U.S. It doesn't appear to be a place that would be easy to live without a vehicle though and that's a priority for me. Part of my interest in expatriation is to live in a place better than I could afford in the U.S. and that's certainly easy to find in Thailand and based on my research anyway, also in much of Latin America. Of course everyone has different budgets and priorities and there is a big difference between shorter term and longer term. 

3 minutes ago, garyk said:

Completely furnished, free breakfast (excellent) Air conditioning. It was a hotel. Make sure you don't let them rip you off. In Colombia if a tourist you do not have to pay the hotel taxes. And rent by the month. The rooms were not that nice compared to nice digs. But, maid service daily!!!  11 dollars a night is what is averaged out at on a monthly basis... haha..

Wow. Good information. Of course Cartago is basically a town in a provincial area so people shouldn't assume that such deals are to be expected everywhere in Colombia. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I didn't mean to imply there was anything wrong with your housing in Mexico. I could definitely live in a such a place, I've lived in much worse in the U.S. It doesn't appear to be a place that would be easy to live without a vehicle though and that's a priority for me. Part of my interest in expatriation is to live in a place better than I could afford in the U.S. and that's certainly easy to find in Thailand and based on my research anyway, also in much of Latin America. Of course everyone has different budgets and priorities and there is a big difference between shorter term and longer term. 

Ah ok, I hitched across the US right after school.. I am embarrassed to tell you where i have lived... ????

I walked to the corner and caught the local bus to Mexico City yesterday. But, this area is away from Centro. So, it might be a pain in the you know what for you. This is close to the airport. 

I am going birding in the mountains around here tomorrow. I will post some pics of the area if interested. 

Take care.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Wow. Good information. Of course Cartago is basically a town in a provincial area so people shouldn't assume that such deals are to be expected everywhere in Colombia. 

True, My local friends here were mad at me for spending this kind of money in Colombia. They were constantly telling me I was being ripped off. They wanted me to move into the country with them for 100 dollars a month.. I was tempted.

Edited by garyk
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, garyk said:

When you said Be Careful, is your city Toluca safe in terms of crime? Did you ever feel in danger? Also, does the high altitude affect your breathing or health in any way?

• Like 1

Yes I see Toluca is way up there. 8700 feet. That's higher than Puebla at 7000 feet. To me being so high is definitely a negative. I've read sometimes it can take a long time living there to know the full health impact. Other high up places are Arequipa Peru, Bogota Colombia, and Cuenca Ecuador. Armenia Colombia is about 5000 feet which would be unlikely to have a health impact. Queretaro Mexico also a more moderately high elevation.

Tuk tuks in Colombia?

This is more of a tourism item because I doubt many expats would want to live in such a small isolated town, but I just recently became aware of this place, Jardin, in the Colombia coffee region, with access via biggish city Pereira. The thing about Jardin is that it's apparently not nearly as "spoiled" by tourism as Salento (access via Armenia). But for people living in this region these little gem towns are always there for escapes. Good bird watching too if you're so inclined.

https://trainsplanesandtuktuks.com/incredible-things-to-do-in-jardin-colombia/

• Like 1

On 6/27/2019 at 1:30 AM, SiamAndy said:

When you said Be Careful, is your city Toluca safe in terms of crime? Did you ever feel in danger? Also, does the high altitude affect your breathing or health in any way?

The locals here say it is crime ridden, I haven't seen any yet.

Haven't had issues with breathing, or health issues. 

The only serious issues I have had with breathing is when I was in Asia. That is the reason I left. Since I left Thailand my coughing and breathing issues have cleared up thank goodness. It was killing me. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There isn't a perfect choice for everyone.
Thailand will remain the right choice for many.
There aren't any right and wrong answers about the best place to live for everyone.
Personally I wouldn't choose such a high altitude place.
Yes I agree there are good places to live in Mexico and I have been to various places there several times.
Your advise to check out Colombia in person is well noted.
Obviously that is good basic advice for anywhere.
Curious about any specific comments you have about your time living in Pereira. There are more upscale neighborhoods there. Obviously the experience of a city would be influenced alot by the specific location in a city where you live. I'm much more interested in Armenia though which you don't know.
Thanks again for sharing your experiences living in Mexico as well as your strong opinions. It adds a lot to this thread to hear such live reports.

• Like 2

Jingthing, it sounds like you are a city dweller. I just don't relate to that at this time.  

I enjoy the rural life. I enjoy exploring and living with the people. 

Colombia makes it hard for me to live the lifestyle I love. The area you are talking about in Colombia is Ok. Not my cup of tea, but OK. All those towns are about the same in that area IMO.

All the best, and good luck.

Time to get breakfast and plan the day.

• Like 2

Jingthing, it sounds like you are a city dweller. I just don't relate to that at this time.  

I enjoy the rural life. I enjoy exploring and living with the people. 

Colombia makes it hard for me to live the lifestyle I love. The area you are talking about in Colombia is Ok. Not my cup of tea, but OK. All those towns are about the same in that area IMO.

All the best, and good luck.

Time to get breakfast and plan the day.

Yes I like cities but not sure if I would really like a very small city. I would think the coffee region even in the cities affords ample opportunities for nature hiking trip weekend excursions etc. I'm not even so much into that but I do like beautiful mountain scenery and the weather profile of that region.

40 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Yes I like cities but not sure if I would really like a very small city. I would think the coffee region even in the cities affords ample opportunities for nature hiking trip weekend excursions etc. I'm not even so much into that but I do like beautiful mountain scenery and the weather profile of that region.

Just head over there and live for a few months. It's cheaper than Thailand IMO. 

Check it out man, you may fall in love... ????

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Gary I assume you like Mexican food as I do.
Did you think Colombian food was boring and bland like so many do or were you able to enjoy it?

Yea, the food there does not hold a candle to Mexico.. My god the food here is out of this world.. For me.. Of course I am a Texas. But, food is a big selling point for me.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, garyk said:

I like it here, I was in the upscale district here today and it is about like living back home as far as shopping, stores. Only better. The price is about 1/3 the cost when I live in America. But, I don't save any money. I have my laundry professionally done, I ate fresh fish with potatoes salad and all the trimmings, 4 dollars in a small village going up to a park I like. The air is clean, or cleaner than S.E. Asia by a mile. I feel good. I never felt good in Asia, Health wise. 

At night I use a blanket,  and during the mornings a light jacket. Back home it is so hot you cannot get out of the house after 12 noon.

I can legally buy a home here if I want, I can get a residency visa. This is the first time I have ever thought it might be the time to sell my home in America and move permanently. 

I hate to say this but you can have the cesspool called S.E. Asia. Filthy nasty disgusting place IMHO. Visa rules are a joke, and that is putting it mildly.

You guys are sugar coating Colombia, you need to travel their if you think you want to live there. I don't like the tourist areas, which are safe. The rest of the country????  The people are very friendly and nice. 

Colombia does not have the amenities that Mexico has either. IMO it is SEVERAL steps below Mexico. Personally there is no contest, Mexico wins for me.

Unless you don't know any better, you are going to be in for a rude awakening.

Regards

Couple of photos from today.

IMG_20190628_114514.jpg

IMG_20190628_160159.jpg

Nice pictures. Are there any towns near Toluca that have a lower elevation of say 5000-6000 feet?

Yea, the food there does not hold a candle to Mexico.. My god the food here is out of this world.. For me.. Of course I am a Texas. But, food is a big selling point for me.  
Yeah I love Mexican food too. I'm not sure I could be happy with the food scene in Colombia long term although I'm sure the novelty would be OK as a tourist.

29 minutes ago, SiamAndy said:

Nice pictures. Are there any towns near Toluca that have a lower elevation of say 5000-6000 feet?

If you are city dweller, Mexico city is a great place.  A great town rich with culture. A great starting point IMO. 

I go there sometimes to the museums, Just a great and fairly safe place.

I really don't understand why you guys don't head over and explore?  

I went to Mexico City a few days ago to a museum I like.

Here are a few pics, wonderful place.

IMG_20190625_154850.jpg

IMG_20190625_155447.jpg

IMG_20190625_160826.jpg

IMG_20190625_161508.jpg

Edited by garyk
  • Like 2