Thai central bank says it has acted on rapid moves in baht

webfact

5 hours ago, AhFarangJa said:

Spot on Smedley.

I have friends in the markets in U.K. who tell me they will not touch the Baht until it goes back to where it should be, which, apparently is around 65 to a pound.......

going to have a long wait then.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

Most Banks were saying the 1.45-1.50 pound to dollar was too high pre Brexit and suggesting the range 1.20-1.25 was more realistic. 

The only time I was actively buying Dollars was in 2007/2008 when the rate was just over USD2 to GBP1. My hair went back from grey to brown :cheesy::cheesy:

3 hours ago, Srikcir said:

Or put another way.

That Bt800,000 you have in a Thai savings account for your visa lost 12.6% value in USD.

No, you gained 12.6%

You will get more USD when you exchange your THB now compared to the USD that you invested in thailand to get the 800.000THB (if back then).

• Like 1

6 hours ago, AhFarangJa said:

Spot on Smedley.

I have friends in the markets in U.K. who tell me they will not touch the Baht until it goes back to where it should be, which, apparently is around 65 to a pound.......

Keep Dreaming.. Normal area for thr baht is around the 50 mark then Brexit killed it..

10 hours ago, smedly said:

the baht is trading to suit certain people and companies who are moving and investing money overseas at the cost of exports and tourism

I suspect this is true. I have no real proof except this is the manner that guides the entire way that Thailand operates.

7 hours ago, AhFarangJa said:

Spot on Smedley.

11 hours ago, smedly said:

the baht is trading to suit certain people and companies who are moving and investing money overseas at the cost of exports and tourism

hilarious posts!

I use to  view the BKK BK exchange rate graph everyday, but now, Oh boy. I'm building a house with a  agreed 4 installment plan  ,with 75% of the purchase price paid on the completion of construction scheduled in August. I have my fingers crossed

Edited by riclag
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, Srikcir said:

Or put another way.

That Bt800,000 you have in a Thai savings account for your visa lost 12.6% value in USD.

Wrong. 800000/36.4=$21978 800000/31.8=$25757 So to put it the correct way your 800000 has increased in dollars 14%

8 hours ago, AhFarangJa said:

Spot on Smedley.

Really?! Did they also say that when the baht was 55 or 60 baht to the £ .? Because they’d have lost a major profit opportunity from that stance. Or do you mean Saturday morning markets in provincial towns.? ???? 

Sadly almost everything in this article is half truth and even untruth. Tell poor farmers that lack of international market demand for their rice is the reason that they get less Baht for every crop that is sold outside the country in dollars. Disgraceful. 

10 hours ago, sungod said:

'The baht hit a five-year high against the dollar on Feb. 20. '

Dont understand this part, looking at XE.com historical data I saw that it was it highest over 5 years in mid 2015 (36.4), in Feb it was 31.87.

I would have thought Reuters would be more accurate, or am I missing something here?

9 hours ago, Sophon said:

Yes, you are looking at it the wrong way round. When the Baht is strong you get fewer THB for your USD, so the point in 2015 you refer to when the USD got you 36.4 THB/USD would be the point where the THB was at a five year low against the USD.

Sophon

@sungod Easy mistake to make.  On the bright side, you might have a bright career ahead of you with the Thai Central Bank.  :smile:

7 hours ago, miamiman123 said:

Somebody is manipulating the baht...those vacations, expensive USA cars and university fees are soooo high 

we gotta do something... hehehe 

I bet you believe in the Wizard of Oz also.  Currencies are a commodity just like oil, wheat, corn, soybeans, pork bellies, and orange juice.  The price fluctuates based on market factors.  The U.S. dollar is weak right now.  So are many other currencies.  That means the supply of those currencies is high relative to the demand. There are numerous factors for that.  The central banks of various countries do have the ability to influence a weak or strong currency.  Weak currencies help exports and curtail imports by making their products cheaper to sell overseas and products made overseas more expensive to buy.  No one is controlling the baht. 

6 hours ago, Benroon said:

really ? Currency dealers will go wherever there is a profit - its not personal. Do they operate from their bedrooms ?

They are not dealers as in working for companies, more like hobbyists, but they do fair quite well. I admit it is all above my head, and I am certainly not experienced or knowledgeable enough to risk my savings..

9 hours ago, AhFarangJa said:

Spot on Smedley.

Congratulate  your friends  on their enduring  patience !

• Haha 1

It is long overdue for so many to stop ignoring the  very fact that comparisons of  basicaly  western currencies that are subject  to every and  any manipulations of  value  maintainance are somewhat irrelevant to those of  the  general surging  economies in Asia.

What surprise? 

Thailand  does  not have any specific  need to radically intervene in the value of the Baht.

Better to redirect  concern to the reason for  devalued other currency instead of assuming any superiority  of them.

10 hours ago, AhFarangJa said:

Spot on Smedley.

I have friends that say the same thing about the AUD. Won't touch it until they can get 33 to the dollar, as their drinks and hooker are costing them way too much at the moment.

Wouldn't it be nice??

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, smedly said:

It's quite interesting how desperately many Asians want to move their money out of their countries. Reminds of the Deutsche Marks that were never traded to Euros since they were lost somewhere where people hoarded them. Tells a tale of how much people around here trust their governments. Can't really blame them with a new Chairman Mao popping up every few decades.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, JAG said:

Yes, to blame the Red Bull fellow is probably an exaggeration. That said, in the "Alice in Wonderland" world in which the most influential echelons in this country live, such behaviour (on the part of all of all of them) is both likely and credible!

Such as purchasing lots more military firepower and high speed railways from abroad. Then there are Thai expats in countries such as Germany, who would like to see their cost of living reduced...

Exports? My Ma has told me she has given up on Thai prawns and is opting for Canadian. Far cheaper and of better quality, she assures me...

2 hours ago, SamuiGeezer said:

It would appear to me that there are quite a few Merchant Bankers :wink: on this forum, particularly the ones claiming currency expertise.

a really fine post to the discussion contributing absolutely nothing 

17 hours ago, Srikcir said:

Or put another way.

LOL, that 800k Baht is now worth a lot more USD than it was years ago.

4 hours ago, huberthammer said:

It is quite astonishing to see how people are not shy to comment on topics they have obviously no clue. If you can't even get the THB low/high or profit/loss correct you should probably abstain from commenting.

Same goes for blaming the rich having an interest in a strong THB when most of them running local businesses which are hurt by the strong THB. As for them moving money abroad pushing the THB higher, that would result in the opposite of what is happening now.

Best to know your limitations and add value to topics you have at least some basic knowledge...

Actually I just post to poss off people who say others shouldn't post. It's my holy duty.

• Haha 1