Trump would be 'very disappointed' in Kim if reports about North Korea launch site true

webfact

Trump would be 'very disappointed' in Kim if reports about North Korea launch site true

By Jeff Mason and David Brunnstrom

2019-03-06T221236Z_1_LYNXNPEF2523V_RTROPTP_4_NORTHKOREA-USA-NUCLEAR.JPG

The Sohae Satellite Launching Station launch pad features what researchers of Beyond Parallel, a CSIS project, describe as showing the partially rebuilt rail-mounted rocket transfer structure in a commercial satellite image taken over Tongchang-ri, North Korea on March 2, 2019 and released March 5, 2019. CSIS/Beyond Parallel/DigitalGlobe 2019 via REUTERS.

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. President Donald Trump said on Wednesday he would be very disappointed in North Korean leader Kim Jong Un if reports about rebuilding at a rocket launch site in North Korea were true.Two U.S. think tanks and South Korea's Yonhap News Agency reported on Tuesday that work was underway to restore part of North Korea's Sohae Satellite Launching Station even as Trump met with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un at a second summit in Hanoi last week.

"I would be very disappointed if that were happening," Trump told reporters in the Oval Office, when asked if North Korea was breaking a promise.

“Well we’re going to see. It’s too early to see. ... It's a very early report. We're the ones that put it out. But I would be very, very disappointed in Chairman Kim, and I don't think I will be, but we'll see what happens. We'll take a look. It'll ultimately get solved."

North Korea began work to dismantle a missile engine test stand at Sohae last year after pledging to do so in a first summit with Trump in June.

A second summit between Trump and Kim broke down last week in Hanoi over differences on how far North Korea was willing to limit its nuclear programme and the degree of U.S. willingness to ease sanctions.

"We have a very nasty problem there. We have to solve a problem," Trump said, while adding in apparent reference to Kim: "The relationship is good."

Satellite images seen by 38 North, a Washington-based North Korea project, showed that structures on the Sohae launch pad had been rebuilt sometime between Feb. 16 and March 2, Jenny Town, managing editor at the project and an analyst at the Stimson Center think tank, told Reuters.

The Center for Strategic and International Studies think tank released a separate report, also citing satellite imagery, that concluded North Korea was "pursuing a rapid rebuilding" at the site.

New of the rebuilding work at Sohae was first reported by Yonhap news agency, which quoted South Korea lawmakers on details of a briefing by the country’s National Intelligence Service in Seoul on Tuesday.

A U.S. government source said the work at Sohae likely began before the summit, which was preceded by a series of lower-level preparatory talks in February.

Trump's national security adviser, John Bolton, warned on Tuesday that new sanctions could be introduced if North Korea did not scrap its nuclear weapons programme.The breakdown of the Feb. 27-28 summit and Bolton's sanctions threat have raised questions about the future of a dialogue process the Trumpadministration has pursued in an effort to persuade North Korea to abandon a nuclear weapons programme that threatens the United States.

Some analysts have interpreted the work at Sohae as an attempt by North Korea to put pressure on Washington to agree to a deal rather than as a definite move to resume tests there.

The U.S. government source, who did not want to be otherwise identified, said North Korea's plan in rebuilding at the site could have been to conspicuously stop again as a demonstration of good faith if a summit agreement was struck, while the work would represent a sign of defiance or resolve if the meeting failed.

U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said on Monday he was hopeful he would send a delegation to North Korea in the coming weeks but that he had "no commitment yet."

While North Korea's official media said last week that Kim and Trump had decided at the summit to continue talks, its vice foreign minister, Choe Son Hui, told reporters Kim "might lose his willingness to pursue a deal" and questioned the need to continue.

White House spokeswoman Sarah Sanders said earlier on Wednesday that the United States was "continuing to have ongoing conversations with North Korea," but did not elaborate.

U.S. Special Representative for North Korea Stephen Biegun, who led pre-summit negotiations with North Korea, met with his Japanese and South Korean counterparts in Washington on Wednesday to discuss future steps, a State Department official said.

(Reporting by Jeff Mason and David Brunnstrom; additional reporting by Mark Hosenball, David Alexander and Tim Ahmann; editing by Richard Chang and Jonathan Oatis)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-03-07

Oh well let them move the parked cars with out gas off of the launch site. We can monitor the site from space. Any move of a missile near it and we should go back to the  fire and fiery approach. Kim is a maniac so what?

We tried diplomacy look at what Bill Richardson says about NK. Now is the time to basically end them if they go any further.

Edited by Cryingdick
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, webfact said:

But I would be very, very disappointed in Chairman Kim, and I don't think I will be, but we'll see what happens. We'll take a look. It'll ultimately get solved."

"we'll see" (okay Donald)

1 hour ago, webfact said:

Kim "might lose his willingness to pursue a deal"

Nothing much of a surprise here. Fair to say, many people predicted this outcome, as they knew Kim's history more than Trump knew.

My crystal ball tells me that the sabre rattling will commence again about a year before the 2020 election. But this time, Kim is fully aware of Trump's famous bluff style. That Trump-trick is getting pretty tired.

"We'll see".

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Cryingdick said:

Oh well let them move the parked cars with out gas off of the launch site. We can monitor the site from space. Any move of a missile near it and we should go back to the  fire and fiery approach. Kim is a maniac so what?

We tried diplomacy look at what Bill Richardson says about NK. Now is the time to basically end them if they go any further.

"We can monitor"...

" we should go back" ...

"We tried diplomacy" ...

"We" ! Please divulge your government credentials to support your post.

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, neeray said:

"we'll see" (okay Donald)

Nothing much of a surprise here. Fair to say, many people predicted this outcome, as they knew Kim's history more than Trump knew.

My crystal ball tells me that the sabre rattling will commence again about a year before the 2020 election. But this time, Kim is fully aware of Trump's famous bluff style. That Trump-trick is getting pretty tired.

"We'll see".

Agreed bring back Obama and send the drones.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, neeray said:

"We can monitor"...

" we should go back" ...

"We tried diplomacy" ...

"We" ! Please divulge your government credentials to support your post.

I thought we were all dealing with the reality we are just a couple of people on the internet. Let's keep it real yo.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, keemapoot said:

Trump's unique style in dealing with Kim was never going to work, and every expert on the planet said so and knew so. In a way, you can't blame him for trying and failing, because every other President has failed. The only difference is that Trump knows jack-all about N. Korea, and doesn't listen to experts, so we're lucky his neophyte efforts have at least not made the crisis deeper during this odd show of his in Singapore and Vietnam.

Maybe time to call back senior adviser Dennis Rodman. He's about as qualified to conduct global diplomacy as Trump is.

It didn't change anything. That's the point. Kim got out of the house and got to see VN for the first time. Good luck to him and he can go back to rotting in hell but, nothing ventured nothing gained. I hope Kim abducted some sex slaves on the train back. It is pretty obvious he had a little shopping trip. 

The Japanese can tip a missile with a warhead in 5 minutes. 

Edited by Cryingdick
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Cryingdick said:

Yes, in addition to US presence in S. Korea, thankfully Abe has been smart in flattering Trump's ego. As a result, and because there would be huge push back by the Pentagon should Trump ever try to reduce, US military presence in Japan is huge, with over 20,000 troops and over 20 bases. 

Abe has also recently overridden the governor of Okinawa to build a new base there in an already massive presence. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, keemapoot said:

Yes, in addition to US presence in S. Korea, thankfully Abe has been smart in flattering Trump's ego. As a result, and because there would be huge push back by the Pentagon should Trump ever try to reduce, US military presence in Japan is huge, with over 20,000 troops and over 20 bases. 

Abe has also recently overridden the governor of Okinawa to build a new base there in an already massive presence. 

Yes we are in agreement. Abe can defend Japan by himself. Everybody knows Japan is a nuclear power already. They have how many nuclear plants? 

Edited by Cryingdick
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Cryingdick said:

Yes we are in agreement. Abe can defend Japan by himself. Everybody knows Japan is a nuclear power already. They have how many nuclear plants? 

I don't think we're at the point yet where Japan can defend itself, but there are movements to amend the constitution. In the meantime, the US military presence there is truly massive. Nuclear plants are not yet militarized.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Psimbo said:

Errrrrr- NO. Donald bigged himself up that he could make the bestest deal in the world instead of letting the diplomats do all the negotiations and then come in when things were agreed. That's how POLITICIANS and LEADERS do things.

Mr Biggly as usual had jumped straight into things without thinking, as he knows better (or not, as the case has shown). The first summit was a sham and all that came out of it was Trump and Kim's Man Love.

Also, at what point have MISSILES been seen at the site? Up to this point it has been used to launch satellites.

'Bomb the B'stards' is NOT a diplomatic solution. All (believable) reports indicate that if a limited amount of sanctions had been lifted, unlike Donald's claims that they wanted ALL sanctions lifted, gains could have been made. As usual Donald did not engage brain and went away in a huff, even blaming Cohen!! The man is a walking Time Bomb.

As for Richardson, writing an article for a think tank called 'The National Interest' may be a bit of a give away!!!

I can't even take you seriously. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Cryingdick said:

4 hours ago, Cryingdick said:

It didn't change anything. That's the point. Kim got out of the house and got to see VN for the first time. Good luck to him and he can go back to rotting in hell but, nothing ventured nothing gained. I hope Kim abducted some sex slaves on the train back. It is pretty obvious he had a little shopping trip. 

I must admit that I rather admire your stoicism in the face of abject failure although I'm sure the lame deflections help a lot.

6 hours ago, webfact said:

"We have a very nasty problem there. We have to solve a problem," Trump said, while adding in apparent reference to Kim: "The relationship is good."

but we may have a coming divorce, love can only last so long

4 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

KIm says, "It's not you Donald, it's me."

Time for a rebound date with Vladdy Daddy or Mr. Bone Saw. 

I think the rebound date is with Xi and Vlady as a candle holder

I would expect Kim may not appreciate these things DT says about him in public statements, like how Kim sends him love letters and so on.  I would also suspect there can be some contention how the word "love" is translated and what the connotation is.  Kim could think it's a flirtation and is not impressed by it.