Retirement combo extension with UK Embassy income letter.

I have read that some people having been granted a retirement extensions have to show their bank book with 800.00 still in their account on their first 90 day report. I would be grateful if somebody can answer the following. If Decembers income letter from Embassy is accepted in April which is for 400.000 and money in bank is 500.000 does this equate to immigration requirements of having to keep over 800.000 in a Thai bank 3 months after application is granted. Or do I have to transfer more money to physically show 800.000 in bank book?

The 800K remaining in a Thai bank 3 months after the extension is granted is only for those using the 'funds' in the bank method.

If your using an Embassy letter as proof of income and funds deposited in a Thai bank, then your using the combination method. The funds part, in your case you illustrated 500K, must be seasoned in a Thai bank 3 months prior to the application, then for 3 months after the extension is granted. (Same rule as funds only method).

You can then withdraw 1/2 the funds, i.e. 250K (same rule as funds only method) leaving the other 250K in the account for 6 months before topping up to 500K again 3 months before your next extension application.

1 minute ago, Tanoshi said:

You can then withdraw 1/2 the funds, i.e. 250K (same rule as funds only method) leaving the other 250K in the account for 6 months before topping up to 500K again 3 months before your next extension application.

If only all immigration offices agree to that rule. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, khastan said:

I have read that some people having been granted a retirement extensions have to show their bank book with 800.00 still in their account on their first 90 day report. I would be grateful if somebody can answer the following. If Decembers income letter from Embassy is accepted in April which is for 400.000 and money in bank is 500.000 does this equate to immigration requirements of having to keep over 800.000 in a Thai bank 3 months after application is granted. Or do I have to transfer more money to physically show 800.000 in bank book?

The best thing to do would be to ask your immigration office in April what is required. They are the ones that will decide what's required.

Edited by BertM

10 hours ago, khastan said:

Or do I have to transfer more money to physically show 800.000 in bank book?

No will not need to do that.

You income and money in the bank is already above the 800k baht total required for the combination option.

Just leave the 500k in the bank after you apply for 3 months and ask immigration how much you need to keep after that,

10 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

So far two people (we know of out of 500) at Jomtein Immigration have been asked to keep 800K in the bank for 90 days after the extension granted. 

Is there also a reference to those 500 people ….did they also reported here …? or is that just a convenient reassuring estimation ? :wink:

The 2 reportings seems to be real ….the 500... ?

Edited by david555

Many thanks for all your replies. My main concern was that I would not be able to show 800.000 in a Thai Bank i3 months after having been granted the extension, but judging from the helpful replies I have received my fears are unfounded has long has I can show 500.000 in bank plus income letter of 400.000.

One thing the does puzzle me though is the reply from marcusarelus " So far two people (we know of out of 500) at Jomtein Immigration have been asked to keep 800K in the bank for 90 days after the extension granted. " Does this mean that these 498 people where not asked or required to abide by the new visa rules of having to keep 800.000 baht three months after their visa extension was granted?

54 minutes ago, khastan said:

One thing the does puzzle me though is the reply from marcusarelus " So far two people (we know of out of 500) at Jomtein Immigration have been asked to keep 800K in the bank for 90 days after the extension granted. " Does this mean that these 498 people where not asked or required to abide by the new visa rules of having to keep 800.000 baht three months after their visa extension was granted?

I'm sure marcusarelus was just pulling that 500 number out of the air. The Jomtien office is very busy and have hundreds of people going thru there at times. Some are first timers, some are renewing their yearly extensions and some are just doing 90-day reports. So far, only 2 reports on TVF from Jomtien claiming to be given an

"official document" stating they need to come back in 90 days to show bank book. I have not read any other reports yet from anywhere else stating they received that same official document. It just started March 1st, so stay tuned.

Edited by BertM