Korat: Dead man's account emptied - Bangkok Bank investigates

rooster59

Korat: Dead man's account emptied - Bangkok Bank investigates

1552058582504.JPG

Image: TNA

A woman in Nakorn Ratchasima went to the press after complaining to Bangkok Bank over almost 370,000 baht missing from an account of her recently deceased father.

Fifty five year old Phaitoon Kongasa said that her father Thong Phinphimai died last year aged 80. 

When the family were going though their dad's belongings they found a bank deposit book.

It showed that their father had deposited several hundred thousand baht in 1995 in a three month fixed deposit.

There was no sign of any withdrawal just regular interest payments on the sum.

But when the family went to update the book at the Bangkok Bank branch in Phimai district they were shocked to find that it now contained 5 baht and 40 satang. 

It should have contained 369,689 baht.

TNA said the bank are investigating.

Source: TNA

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-03-09

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

well, if the account was not touched for years, the bank may have been regularly withdrawing
"Fees".  One bank I had in Florida I opened purely with a savings account, put money into it, and left it.  It was just an establishing state residency type of thing.  About 18 months later I looked at the account and it had less money than I started with?  The bank was charging account inactivity fees!  I read them the riot act of how during ww 2 many bad banks did that to people that had been killed or detained and could not access their accounts. 

I wonder if Banks in Thailand just wind up accounts that have been inactive if they have made an attempt to contact the account holder and had no reply?

Another reason that retirees are reluctant to keep 800,000 Baht in a Thai Bank account. 

agree ALEX and the amount of skimming / cloning of cards that goes on in this country, and banks  not wanting to know. its a worrying time with all those 800,000 and 400,000 in most account just waiting for the pickings

15 minutes ago, mercman24 said:

agree ALEX and the amount of skimming / cloning of cards that goes on in this country, and banks  not wanting to know. its a worrying time with all those 800,000 and 400,000 in most account just waiting for the pickings

1. Tell us how much skimming and cloning goes on.

2. Tell us how many retirees have already been skimmed and cloned.

Guess Ill just take a Forum Cruise for more hyperbole.

12 minutes ago, mercman24 said:

Those 800/400K accounts should, IMO, be in fixed accounts were no cards are issued. There's virtually no risk for any "pickings". I've never lost one baht during decades of 'banking' in Thailand.

In 2017 the Fiscal Policy Office drafted legislation enabling the Govt to seize money from accounts that had been inactive for 10 years and use it for the public interest.  It applies to savings and current accounts in all currencies.  Similar to what happens in many other countries.

6 hours ago, AlexRich said:

I wonder if Banks in Thailand just wind up accounts that have been inactive if they have made an attempt to contact the account holder and had no reply?

Another reason that retirees are reluctant to keep 800,000 Baht in a Thai Bank account. 

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1009583-thailand-defends-plan-to-transfer-money-from-idle-accounts-to-treasury/

Believe the first trigger is one year of no activity, the account is temporarily suspended.  Interest payments or fee withdrawals do not count as activity.  Has happened to me a few times with Krungsi.  The account is no longer displayed when I log into internet banking, had to go to the branch, provide passport copy and bank book to re-activate the account. 

1 minute ago, notagain said:

This is a lie ! Thais would never do something like this, its never happened to me or anyone else before and I have had a bank account here since me and buddha drank coffee together, blah blah blah.

Ever happen to you then?

26 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

Ever happen to you then?

Nope but I only keep a very minimum account in any bank here, but I read the The nation newspaper and that other one we cant mention on here every morning and read many articles about thais having the same problem on many occasions. Maybe you should take off your blinders get out of the gated community and thai visa and learn a little about the real thai people and the problems they face from a system full of laws but no justice. 

5 minutes ago, notagain said:

Nope but I only keep a very minimum account in any bank here, but I read the The nation newspaper and that other one we cant mention on here every morning and read many articles about thais having the same problem on many occasions. Maybe you should take off your blinders get out of the gated community and thai visa and learn a little about the real thai people and the problems they face from a system full of laws but no justice. 

Awww, sweet, I read the same papers you do and more and I cant recall one. Anybody else here recall reading about some falang getting skimmed?

No? Thought so.

Owned.

Watch, somebody will come up with "one" LOL. 

7 hours ago, AlexRich said:

If I decide to go the 800,000 baht road, I will consider that money lost. Sure, I WILL hire an attorney and make my heir aware, but my gut tells  me it's less than 50/50 the heir will actually get the money.

7 hours ago, AlexRich said:

It was a term deposit which usually automatically rolls over for another term and so on.

strange when family went to update it did not show any transactions 

10 minutes ago, notagain said:

Some people are so blind and stupid to reality they have to lie to themselves that these things dont happen. But I guess it justifies their false beliefs in a corrupt system.

If blind and stupid is seeing reality instead of an imaginary world built of your own prejudices, give me the blindness and stupidity.

My Son has a fixed term deposit account linked to an insurance that matures in a year or so. Last year we received a letter from the bank to go to the local branch and have the book "Updated". When I inquired about it I was very politely informed it was to stop the account being subject to the inactive account rule......confused the hell out of me, but I am grateful for their contacting us.

1 hour ago, notagain said:

Some people are so blind and stupid to reality they have to lie to themselves that these things dont happen. But I guess it justifies their false beliefs in a corrupt system.

So please can you give us some details and proof of what you have been reporting. Thanks.

The only thing I know for certain is that there will never be a resolution to this story published in the press. It appears to be against the rules of reporting in Thailand. All stories must be left open-ended.

2 hours ago, Nyezhov said:

1. Tell us how much skimming and cloning goes on.

2. Tell us how many retirees have already been skimmed and cloned.

Guess Ill just take a Forum Cruise for more hyperbole.

1. We don't have to guess, we, none of us actually know.

2. What we do know is that many of us have 800K sitting in a Thai bank.

3. What we also know is that these stories of unusual/unauthorised withdrawals occur alarmingly often and on a number of occasions, from a foreigner bank account - by an obviously Asian individual.

4. It is not up to the OP to do your research for you. If you disagree - YOU find out what you believe to be the facts and THEN challenge what is said.

5. Until then, if you have nothing useful to say, P _ _ _ _!

2 hours ago, Vacuum said:

Those 800/400K accounts should, IMO, be in fixed accounts were no cards are issued. There's virtually no risk for any "pickings". I've never lost one baht during decades of 'banking' in Thailand.

okay great you haven't but as per the story someone else has and I suspect it goes on more than known...

1 hour ago, AhFarangJa said:

My Son has a fixed term deposit account linked to an insurance that matures in a year or so. Last year we received a letter from the bank to go to the local branch and have the book "Updated". When I inquired about it I was very politely informed it was to stop the account being subject to the inactive account rule......confused the hell out of me, but I am grateful for their contacting us.

That was good of them - are you able to say which bank?

32 minutes ago, Bundooman said:

1. We don't have to guess, we, none of us actually know.

2. What we do know is that many of us have 800K sitting in a Thai bank.

3. What we also know is that these stories of unusual/unauthorised withdrawals occur alarmingly often and on a number of occasions, from a foreigner bank account - by an obviously Asian individual.

4. It is not up to the OP to do your research for you. If you disagree - YOU find out what you believe to be the facts and THEN challenge what is said.

5. Until then, if you have nothing useful to say, P _ _ _ _!

Here's something useful. It doesn't happen. How is that?

49 minutes ago, Briggsy said:

The only thing I know for certain is that there will never be a resolution to this story published in the press. It appears to be against the rules of reporting in Thailand. All stories must be left open-ended.

Well, in the case of the money disappearing from the Swedish-Thai couple's bank account, a few months ago, some relative of the Thai lady has been found guilty.

10 hours ago, gk10002000 said:

well, if the account was not touched for years, the bank may have been regularly withdrawing
"Fees".  One bank I had in Florida I opened purely with a savings account, put money into it, and left it.  It was just an establishing state residency type of thing.  About 18 months later I looked at the account and it had less money than I started with?  The bank was charging account inactivity fees!  I read them the riot act of how during ww 2 many bad banks did that to people that had been killed or detained and could not access their accounts. 

No fees accumulate to such big sum...That is exactly what happened to my Central Java Mindiri bank account. At least 10 millions gone ..bank explanation "Fees and charges" but no proof to show me how much and when.

4 hours ago, animalmagic said:

In 2017 the Fiscal Policy Office drafted legislation enabling the Govt to seize money from accounts that had been inactive for 10 years

And that would apply for the described  case.

The father died in 2008 and account had no activity (transfers) since then.

And remember: it was a Fixed Deposit, no card to skim, no ATM withdrawal etc.

And from the report of The Nation:

“But I can confirm that it’s not seizing people’s money as reported,” he said, adding account owners or their heirs would be able to reclaim the money at any time.

And now it would be interesting to be informed about the conclusion.

But as usual that will unlikely happen.

Archived